Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:38 pm 

Ed Sheeran making a death metal record would be very interesting :wanker:

Also, I didn't knew he used to listen to Cradle of Filth and Slipknot :eek:

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:45 pm 

Well, I've just entered a parallel universe.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:59 pm 

So this isn't a meme then. Awkward moment.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:11 pm 

I'm definitely getting old because my initial reaction to this was "Who the fuck is Ed Sheeran?" Looked up a couple of his songs, unless he's planning on playing bass or rhythm guitar in a death metal project, I'm not seeing how he's gonna pull it off between his delicate sounding voice and lack of depth to his songwriting.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:21 pm 

Well, the dude already has plenty of "tatts" so he might look the part!

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 pm 

sLipKnOt iS NoT A DaEtH MeTal bANd

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:31 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'm definitely getting old because my initial reaction to this was "Who the fuck is Ed Sheeran?" Looked up a couple of his songs, unless he's planning on playing bass or rhythm guitar in a death metal project, I'm not seeing how he's gonna pull it off between his delicate sounding voice and lack of depth to his songwriting.

Yes because Cannibal Corpse is extremely detailed and has a depth rivaling Mozart

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:58 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

Yes because Cannibal Corpse is extremely detailed and has a depth rivaling Mozart

Cannibal Corpse are indeed much more talented and proficient songwriters than Ed Sheeran, yes. Nobody compared death metal bands to Mozart. That's a bs strawman fallacy.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:16 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Cannibal Corpse are indeed much more talented and proficient songwriters than Ed Sheeran, yes.

Ed Sheeran's concept of death metal is going to be, dare I say, butchered at birth.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:16 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:

I actually disagree with this take just a bit. I'm not saying Ed Sheeran will pull this off if he tries, but the thing is we can't count him out. None of us even knew he listened to this type of music, and it's actually very possible that he's been a fan of heavy music but hid this due to the fact that he's a pop songwriter trying to keep up a wholesome image. He might even like tons of bands on this site (although given the fact that he called Slipknot death metal, as well as Cradle of Filth, who I haven't listened to but know are a black metal band since their first full length, I assume his perceptions of metal are fairly shallow). This reminds me of two things:

1. Probot. Not many people probably realized Dave Grohl listened to tons of famous metal bands in his youth, and most people might have thought that he would have not enough background to make a metal record that didn't suck, but if you look at the reviews for Probot there's a decent amount of favorable scores. Just because he was (and is still) widely known in alternative rock circles, it didn't discount his metal background.

2. Post Malone. Most people don't know this, but before becoming a successful rapper, he actually auditioned for the metalcore band Crown The Empire (they're not on this site but they're way closer to metal than 98% of anything another mainstream artist might have been involved with) but got rejected because his guitar strings broke midway through. He still listens to -core music, in fact, there's a Noisey documentary made when he was first blowing up (this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un3vVJcadlQ ), and the first few minutes consist of him in a tour van with popular metal YouTuber Jared Dines listening to metal. There's also a video (this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHnUfUdJTY ) of Post Malone and Jared Dines in what appears to be the same van at the same time performing vocals to Thy Art Is Murder and Sworn In tracks.

Honestly, we don't know what Ed Sheeran is capable of. He might make a legit metal record at some point, and if he does I'm actually going to listen to it first and not write it off. It might suck, or it might be a legit good record. We don't know how much metal Ed Sheeran has heard (and his label probably didn't want us to initially so he could build a kid-friendly image and get onstage with people like Taylor Swift), and if he makes a metal record (death metal or otherwise), it could still be great. The thing is though, I hope he sticks with his name and doesn't go under some one-time band name like Dave Grohl's Probot- because even though I'm not too much of a fan of his music I would find it hilarious if his discography of pop got on here because of one lone metal album, and I would definitely make sure to review his pop albums if he ever had a page here, for the brilliant novelty value if for nothing else.

Also, I forgot to add: the one thing I do agree with about your statement is that if the album is legit death metal, it would be the surprise of the century if he managed to pull off vocals. I could see him pull off heavy cleans like Slipknot, and the fact that he mentioned Slipknot makes me think he would make some kind of super heavy groove/nu metal album with intense cleans, or like you said play guitar in the project but lay off vocals. I think there's a high chance he can riffs, but probably not growl.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:38 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

HeavenDuff basically made the point I would've likely made to someone throwing Mozart into a discussion about death metal vs. pop/rock. But, to elaborate a bit more on what I meant by "depth in songwriting", part of said approach involves deviating from common practice tonality. Cannibal Corpse might not be writing symphonies or elaborate fugues, but the tonal makeup of the dissonant note and chord relations that goes with their approach is a bit more involved than the hyper-repetitive folk progressions that most modern pop music is built from.

I'm not necessarily saying that one style is better than the other, but when I listen to Sheeran's songs, my first guess would be that his version of "death metal" would sound a lot closer to Bullet For My Valentine than it would Suffocation or even Cradle Of Filth's early death metal demos (which I doubt he has heard given that he was 2 years old when they switched to their more blackened aesthetic). The fact that he referenced Slipknot in connection to death metal is naturally also a red flag as they aren't in said genre.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:11 am 

camjr01 wrote:
I actually disagree with this take just a bit. I'm not saying Ed Sheeran will pull this off if he tries, but the thing is we can't count him out. None of us even knew he listened to this type of music, and it's actually very possible that he's been a fan of heavy music but hid this due to the fact that he's a pop songwriter trying to keep up a wholesome image. He might even like tons of bands on this site (although given the fact that he called Slipknot death metal, as well as Cradle of Filth, who I haven't listened to but know are a black metal band since their first full length, I assume his perceptions of metal are fairly shallow). This reminds me of two things:

If we're talking a modern nu-metal/groove metal album, I wouldn't count him out either, but when he says "death metal album", that implies something that is adjacent to either the old Florida/New York scenes or the more melodic Swedish variant that followed. Maybe it's just that I get annoyed by misnomers being tossed around by pop musicians, but even when accounting for that, I wouldn't count myself enthused by the prospect.

camjr01 wrote:
1. Probot. Not many people probably realized Dave Grohl listened to tons of famous metal bands in his youth, and most people might have thought that he would have not enough background to make a metal record that didn't suck, but if you look at the reviews for Probot there's a decent amount of favorable scores. Just because he was (and is still) widely known in alternative rock circles, it didn't discount his metal background.

I should probably mention up front that I hated Probot, and my review for that album is the most scathing one on the site at present. I won't discount that Grohl has a substantial background in metal given what he's recounted in various interviews, and he had an impressive array of figures from the scene involved in that album, but the songwriting was horribly banal and uninspired. I'm not a big fan of gimmicks, and that album was comprised almost entirely of them. I'll be up front and state that I don't like the Foo Fighters to begin with and I despise Nirvana with the fire of a thousand suns, but even with my best efforts to put that aside, I struggled to even get through that album.

camjr01 wrote:
2. Post Malone. Most people don't know this, but before becoming a successful rapper, he actually auditioned for the metalcore band Crown The Empire (they're not on this site but they're way closer to metal than 98% of anything another mainstream artist might have been involved with) but got rejected because his guitar strings broke midway through. He still listens to -core music, in fact, there's a Noisey documentary made when he was first blowing up (this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un3vVJcadlQ ), and the first few minutes consist of him in a tour van with popular metal YouTuber Jared Dines listening to metal. There's also a video (this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPHnUfUdJTY ) of Post Malone and Jared Dines in what appears to be the same van at the same time performing vocals to Thy Art Is Murder and Sworn In tracks.

This is a much better example, though again, I'm not a huge fan of Post Malone and I'm generally lukewarm on metalcore. This is the sort of music that I'd expect a pop or rap artist to dabble in.

camjr01 wrote:
Honestly, we don't know what Ed Sheeran is capable of. He might make a legit metal record at some point, and if he does I'm actually going to listen to it first and not write it off. It might suck, or it might be a legit good record. We don't know how much metal Ed Sheeran has heard (and his label probably didn't want us to initially so he could build a kid-friendly image and get onstage with people like Taylor Swift), and if he makes a metal record (death metal or otherwise), it could still be great. The thing is though, I hope he sticks with his name and doesn't go under some one-time band name like Dave Grohl's Probot- because even though I'm not too much of a fan of his music I would find it hilarious if his discography of pop got on here because of one lone metal album, and I would definitely make sure to review his pop albums if he ever had a page here, for the brilliant novelty value if for nothing else.

Also, I forgot to add: the one thing I do agree with about your statement is that if the album is legit death metal, it would be the surprise of the century if he managed to pull off vocals. I could see him pull off heavy cleans like Slipknot, and the fact that he mentioned Slipknot makes me think he would make some kind of super heavy groove/nu metal album with intense cleans, or like you said play guitar in the project but lay off vocals. I think there's a high chance he can riffs, but probably not growl.

I may give this album a chance just out of sheer curiosity, but I'll be going in with tempered expectations, that much is certain. I'm not a Slipknot fan, though I do listen to a bit of Cradle Of Filth every now and then. It's highly possible that he would be able to write metal riffs (good or bad), though I am highly skeptical of him pulling off metal vocals.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:43 am 

Quote:
"I was really into death metal as a kid. I listened to Cradle of Filth and Slipknot and all that stuff," the singer-songwriter said, according to the Sun.

Sounds promising.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 am 

No, thanks. Call me a conservative separatist, but NO.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 am 

Nightmare fuel

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:58 am 

It's worth remembering that for many non-metalheads the term 'death metal' is used to refer to anything heavier than Iron Maiden.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:26 am 

Rodman wrote:
It's worth remembering that for many non-metalheads the term 'death metal' is used to refer to anything heavier than Iron Maiden.

Yeah, but in this specific context we're talking about a guy who claims he could potentially consider playing death metal. Shouldn't he know what it actually is before making such a claim?

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:32 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Rodman wrote:

Yeah, but in this specific context we're talking about a guy who claims he could potentially consider playing death metal. Shouldn't he know what it actually is before making such a claim?

Yes, he should.

I'm simply pointing out that Ed Sheeran's attempts at death metal will almost certainly sound nothing like death metal.

I can recall an episode of an Australian music-based quiz show in which a performer claimed that he fronted a cover band "that played death metal, like Pantera." Most regular folk are fucking clueless when it comes to metal.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:42 am 

Rodman wrote:
simply pointing out that Ed Sheeran's attempts at death metal will almost certainly sound nothing like death metal.

Here we go.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:30 am 

Boring af=always boring af

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:48 am 

Wow, this thread has every imaginable topic about metalheads. From Mozart to Cannibal Corpse.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:05 am 

Seeing a lot of gatekeeper shit in this thread, one of my least favorite things about metal fans. Although this was probably just a thing he said in passing, the thought of Ed Sheeran actually going ahead and making death metal is awesome and should excite anyone into this music. Nevermind if the record would be any good, can you imagine the kind of reach it would have, the spotlight it would shine on this music with potential of drawing in fans and therefore creators? Or are you too busy bitching about the "legitimacy" of a POP singer DEFILING your precious scene.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:18 am 

hell yeah I'd listen to it. Don't know if I'd enjoy it, don't know if it'd be my kind of thing, but heck, I love all the different interpretations of music that's out there (even if the actual music isn't for me)

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:24 am 

Bloodstone wrote:
Seeing a lot of gatekeeper shit in this thread, one of my least favorite things about metal fans. Although this was probably just a thing he said in passing, the thought of Ed Sheeran actually going ahead and making death metal is awesome and should excite anyone into this music. Nevermind if the record would be any good, can you imagine the kind of reach it would have, the spotlight it would shine on this music with potential of drawing in fans and therefore creators? Or are you too busy bitching about the "legitimacy" of a POP singer DEFILING your precious scene.

Not going to repeat my previous statements, I'll add to my concerned conservationism that after a quarter century spent in commuter trains, I think I have a vague idea of the different natures of genres and their respective appreciators. It seems to me that people like the kind of music that resonates with their personality, is therefor an integral part of their identity and that their tastes won't change fundamentally due to some miraculous new album. They get what they deserve.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:22 am 

If, and this is a big if, he really goes through with it and does a Death Metal album I'm all for it.

I love people bringing new ideas into music and experiment with it. I might like it, I might not, but it doesn't matter. You don't go from Blue Cheer all the way to Portal by standing still and repeating what has been done. That's Fenriz territory.

Who knows, he's someone whose musical background appears to be mostly outside of metal, maybe he comes up with something interesting and fresh, maybe it sucks massively, I'll still appreciate the effort.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:26 am 

This how I imagine his version of "death metal" sounds like:

Basically Slipknot but slightly less aggressive & with a clean production

Last edited by Fearoth on Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:49 am 

camjr01 wrote:

Don't forget that Post also got a vinyl for Infant Annihilator as a gift.

Fearoth wrote:
This how I imagine his version of "death metal" sounds like

That cover legit slaps ngl

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:24 am 

Never really heard his shit, but it's really not that weird for people not totally immersed in metal to be interested in it anyway; it's not some secret coven exactly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:35 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Rodman wrote:

It doesn't really matter. Death metal to a lot of people just means hard, aggressive shit. It's a blanket term. It isn't gonna erase any of the actual good stuff we like. No reason just not to listen to it if you don't like what he said.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:57 am 

So basically a pop star made a comment in passing about a style he enjoys but more than likely wouldn't ever actually pursue and now metalheads are blowing out of proportion like we always do.

Or as I like to call it, Wednesday.

Last edited by Twisted_Psychology on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
21stCenturySkippyMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 am 

Loudwire proving once again that its little more than a metallic Buzzfeed.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Rodman wrote:

It doesn't really matter. Death metal to a lot of people just means hard, aggressive shit. It's a blanket term. It isn't gonna erase any of the actual good stuff we like. No reason just not to listen to it if you don't like what he said.

Oh, I'm not concerned. I was merely addressing Rodman's post. Sheeran can do whatever he wants. It's probably not going to happen anyway.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:17 pm 

This is probably one of those "I'll say this for the headline" type deals. I doubt he was serious when he said this but I imagine he'd produce something interesting.

As an aside, the "metal" versions of his songs I've heard are all complete dog-shit. The one Fearoth linked to was thankfully pretty alright.

mdmdmd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:53 pm 

I think people got excited for no reason. "Not opposed to" doesn't sound like he actually wants to do it.

Guess the genre of a metal band just by their logo (game for metal nerds)

steve1234
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:25 pm 

I would put the odds at this happening at about a million to one. Lots of artists mention things they like in passing and never do anything about it, I feel like this is one of those times.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:31 pm 

I'm still hoping for another big pop artist to do a Scott Walker (aka going slightly mad and releasing ultra experimental weird shit).

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:14 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'm still hoping for another big pop artist to do a Scott Walker (aka going slightly mad and releasing ultra experimental weird shit).

Scott Walker's truly one of the great metal musicians that never happened. You can imagine him fronting an experimental metal band in the 90s if fate had dealt the cards differently.

It's notable that he only went in a weird direction after his career had been dead for many years. Maybe the same will hold true for Sheeran.

black_metal_mountaineering
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:22 pm 

Title of thread really should read "bored millionaire looks for cheap thrills by imitating other genres"

Is he just bored or is he also boring? I go for the latter

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:50 pm 

Bloodstone wrote:

Nobody is engaging in gatekeeper shit here, unless you count an unfavorable opinion on the matter with attempting to prevent a pop musician from dabbling in another genre or trying to convince everyone possible not to support such a venture economically. People are free to do what they please with their money, time and recording studio resources, this doesn't preclude others from being skeptical of the potential outcome. The only thing that this Sheeran dude would potentially be defiling is my ears with what I presume will be a crappy nu-metal album mistakenly labeled as death metal. It wouldn't be the first time, and I'd get over it fairly quickly with a quick listening session of some real stuff. I do plan on giving the album a chance if it does get recorded, though I am pessimistic as to what the result will be.

Empyreal wrote:

My only real issue here is that I think words (and labels) should actually mean something, it tends to cut down on confusion. When Wikipedia gets the definition of a sub-genre all or mostly right, it shouldn't be hard for people to learn this stuff. At this point I don't really care who tries their hand at dabbling in metal, the odds of something like 1992 happening again are virtually nil given the instant access the internet provides to what people want to hear.

21stCenturySkippyMan wrote:
Loudwire proving once again that its little more than a metallic Buzzfeed.

Honestly, I have more of a problem with the shoddy "journalism" that sites like Loudwire engage in than I do some random pop artist putting out a good/bad metal album and it being heralded by the mainstream music media as the greatest heavy metal album since Steppenwolf.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next