Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:38 pm 

Blackened thrash metallers Craven Idol will release their third album, Forked Tongues, through Dark Descent Records on July 23. From the press release:

Quote:
Old school stalwarts Craven Idol celebrate their 15th anniversary with third opus "FORKED TONGUES".

Swearing by the gods of old, the North London veterans further hone their unique blend of old school extreme metal.

“After spending a month on the road with Mystifer, we are a closer-knit unit than ever before. There’s a good reason for this being the longest standing line-up in our fifteen-year existence. The entire band lived and breathed this record in the months preceding the studio, and the performances delivered by each member are testament to their dedication to untarnished extreme metal of old,” says founding member Sadistik Wrath. “FORKED TONGUES is a vicious and concerted tribute to folly of mankind. In these godless days of Sodom, craven idols are in their element, wheeling and dealing, beckoning you to follow their treacherous causes. The apocalyptic legends of ancient Greece read like unholy divination… and it is from them that we drew the subject matter for the record.”

Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Tom Dring at Southport’s Vagrant Recordings, FORKED TONGUES showcases a rawer side of CRAVEN IDOL, aiming to bottle the band’s live ferocity.

Shunning the trends and genre-specifications poisoning the scene, CRAVEN IDOL pay homage to a wide variety of bands, including Bathory, Mercyful Fate, Master’s Hammer, Manilla Road, Gospel Of The Horns, Sodom, Satan, Poison (Ger), Candlemass, Mystifier, Cirith Ungol, and Absu, to name just a few.

Tracklisting:
1. Venomous Rites
2. The Wrath of Typhon
3. Iron Age of Devastation
4. Even the Demons
5. Forked Tongues
6. Deify the Stormgod
7. The Gods Have Left Us For Dead

Iron Age of Devastation has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

I'm really looking forward to this album. Both of their previous releases are among the best black/thrash releases of the past decade IMO, especially if you're into the specific style of bands like Deströyer 666, Nocturnal Graves or Gospel of the Horns.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:43 pm 

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to this album. Both of their previous releases are among the best black/thrash releases of the past decade IMO, especially if you're into the specific style of bands like Deströyer 666, Nocturnal Graves or Gospel of the Horns.

Ditto.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:29 pm 

I'll be picking this up. Really strong songwriting exhibited by this band on their previous releases. They stand out from the pack of bands that go for a similar aesthetic and style for me.

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:01 pm 

TOTAL support to these guys.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:09 pm 

Oh nice! Gonna be a good year for this style with this and the new Desaster + the Demiser album

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm 

Yeah, there are a lot of great blackened thrash releases out this year. Witchery is in the studio recording a new record right now too, and according to Season of Mist's social media D666 just finished recording a new album.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 pm 

I file these guys under "bands I should like but can't get into." I love Destroyer 666, Gospel of the Horns, and pretty much every other band mentioned in the same breath as Craven Idol, but Craven Idol themselves just don't do much for me. Admittedly, their debut was pretty decent (though I don't return to it much), but their last album just really didn't resonate with me at all. The riffs seemed pretty bland the unhinged vocals (while certainly energetic) didn't really fit the music. The vocals sounded like they'd be a better fit for spastic Deathhammer-style thrash as opposed to half-decent blackened thrash.

All that said, it has been a while since I've revisited these guys, so maybe my opinion's changed over the years. I'll have to give them another shot. Likewise, maybe this new album will be better than their others. I will say I much prefer Scythian, which is the other project of Craven Idol's vocalist and guitarist. Scythian's last album was killer, and I would love to hear more material from them. More than anything though, I'm excited about the recently-announced new Destroyer 666 album, which Kalatari mentioned. Now that's sure to be killer. D666 posted an update on their social media as well.

NecroSonata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:29 am 

For those interested this is out now, and it's ferociously fun!

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:49 am 

Listened to this earlier and it totally owns from beginning to end. Admittedly I checked out a little by the last song but otherwise this sucker slays.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:46 pm 

I think I still prefer Towards Eschaton but this new album is solid and I'm definitely picking it up.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:07 pm 

I really liked this one. A lot of great riffs and a very epic edge in some of the tracks, particularly "Deify the Stormgod" with its tasteful use of clean vocals. There's a lot of sharp, slicing tremolo lines that I really enjoy. I'm not sure ending with two long tracks was the best move (the final two songs take up over 40% of the runtime), but that's not a huge issue. This sounds like a younger and more unhinged cousin of Destroyer 666 (even more than their other stuff), and that's a great thing in my book. I'll need to give it more listens, but on first pass this is easily one of the better albums I've heard this year.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:03 am 

This really is one of the best metal albums of the year.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:11 pm 

its a ripper!

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 pm 

Yeah, this is definitely one of the best blackened thrash releases of the year. Tracks like Even the Demons and Deify the Stormgod really have an epic grandeur to them while still tearing your head off. There's also a lot of really cool tempo shifts, and they know exactly when to settle into a groove and when to go full tilt.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:31 am 

I’ll plan to get this one. Their previous two albums were great!

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 pm 

This is fantastic so far. Has a sense of grandiosity that really separates these guys from most other bands in their style. Honestly wasn't a huge fan of their first album, and I never really heard the second album. But this is making me want to revisit their other material, maybe there was a lot that I missed.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:31 pm 

Have been listening to this one off and on today. I think this one just might be their strongest release yet. Love it, and know it will continue to grow on me with future listening.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:22 am 

Damn, why the fuck haven't I been paying any mind to these guys? So far I'm very impressed, but mad that I ignored them

Reply to topic