Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 pm 

Swedish death metal veterans Aeon will release their fifth full length, God Ends Here, through Metal Blade Records on October 15. From the press release:

Quote:
With 2012′s Aeons Black standing as one of the defining death metal albums of the twenty-first century, it has been a long wait for the follow up. In 2021, Sweden’s Aeon finally return with its successor, God Ends Here, and in doing so only up the ante with a record that is bigger, harder and stronger in every way. A darker, even more epic collection, it is everything an Aeon fan could want with a few surprises in store, pushing the genre in new directions, and once again asserting that they are one of the most important bands in extreme metal.

The main reason for the gap between records lies in finding the right drummer, having had a few pass through their ranks in the interim, Dark Funeral/Imperium drummer Janne Jaloma now manning the kit. Making his recording debut with the band is also bassist Tony Östman, who joined in 2013, during the touring cycle for Aeons Black. Guitarist Daniel Dlimi, who departed the Aeon fold in 2013, also returned to the band’s ranks in 2019, which inspired guitarist Zeb Nilsson to write, having really missed collaborating with him.

Drums were recorded in Jaloma’s own Studio Starköl, guitars and bass in the band’s own Rise to Dominate Studio, and the vocals were recorded at Metallfabriken Studio, where some guitar re-amping was also done. Producer Ronnie Björnström, who presided over Aeons Black, once again oversaw proceedings, making sure everything sounded as big as possible. Expanding the sonic palette are strings and choirs, the orchestral elements primarily programmed by Nilsson with Dlimi handling those on “Mephistopheles”, while Nilsson wrote the choir parts. With dramatic artwork by Italian artist Paolo Girardi the final piece of the puzzle, the finished package extends Aeon‘s legacy and gives the genre the push that was intended from the outset. They may have been gone a long time but make no mistake: Aeon are back, and God Ends Here will lay waste to all.

Tracklisting:
1. The Nihilist (01:15)
2. Liar's Den (04:14)
3. Let It Burn (03:59)
4. Opheus Indu Inferis (00:53)
5. Church of Horror (03:45)
6. Deny Them Eternity (03:25)
7. Forsaker (02:31)
8. Into the Void (01:04)
9. God Ends Here (04:44)
10. Severed (04:21)
11. Just One Kill (04:18)
12. Mephistopheles (01:14)
13. Let the Torturing Begin (04:02)
14. Despite the Cross (02:59)
15. Overture: Magnum Reginae (00:52)
16. Queen of Lies (06:02)

Church of Horror has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

I'm definitely digging the new track, it's way better than anything from Aeons Black IMO. Sixteen tracks seems like a bit of an overkill though. The press release mentions orchestral elements and from the track lengths I'm guessing there's probably going to be a bunch of interlude tracks scattered throughout the record. In any case, I'm hopeful this will be a good one. Aeon at their best really deliver when it comes to this style of death metal.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:52 pm 

Fun band, should be a good album.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:57 pm 

I love their stuff, and Rise To Dominate is especially one of my favorite DM albums, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call them "one of the most important bands in extreme metal", but that's marketing fluff for you. The track sounds solid though. I'm always leery of programmed orchestral elements, but I'll guess we'll find out how they fit soon enough.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:47 am 

Kind of like the Swedish version of Deicide. I have a couple of their previous albums and they are not bad. They tend to get a bit repetitive after a while. It is interesting seeing the previous guitarist, Dlimi, rejoining again. I remember he left the band stating that he couldn't 'afford' to be in a metal band.

The new single is pretty good though. It's just that every song will sound basically the same.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:24 am 

Yeah, Aeon loves Cannibal, Deicide, and Krisiun and they've never really been interested in going anywhere different, but when it comes to modern death metal, they're great at writing heavy, chunky, groovy songs and Zeb's leadwork is extremely underrated.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:54 am 

I saw these guys open for Cannibal Corpse/Behemoth a few years back and was very impressed; they put on a great show and afterwards picked up Rise to Dominate. Some very solid death metal with a lot of catchy songs, surprisingly. The new single also kicks ass. Very much looking forward to this album!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:00 pm 

Pretty much everything thats been said, though Im not a fan of the interludes. So many releases in October....

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:14 am 

The second single is out:

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:15 am 

I quite like the new song. Has a bit more of a mid-tempo groove which is important to add variety to an album. Looking at the track list, they have gone for the 'interludes' again which I could do without. It didn't really work well on the last album either.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:00 pm 

The full album stream is up:

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:27 pm 

It's Aeon. Not gonna change anyone's mind, it feels like Aeons Black with better drumming, but if you just want solid, unpretentious modern death metal with late 90s Floridian/Brazilian sensibilities, they'll serve you well.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:31 am 

Aeon's albums are always too long. I bought their first two 'back in the day' and thought I liked them. Turns out I didn't. Another one of those bands that mostly does everything right and on paper I should love 'em, but I just get bored when listening. Same feeling for me as Aborted.

For "solid, unpretentious modern death metal with late 90s Floridian/Brazilian sensibilities" (great description) I always turned to Blood Red Throne... but their last few (including the brand new one) are really boring too.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:11 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
It's Aeon. Not gonna change anyone's mind, it feels like Aeons Black with better drumming, but if you just want solid, unpretentious modern death metal with late 90s Floridian/Brazilian sensibilities, they'll serve you well.

Finally checked this out, and I found it pretty thoroughly enjoyable. I think the symphonic touches are just enough to elevate it a bit without compromising the intensity of their aural assault.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:19 am 

I happen to be listening to this album right now. It's not too remarkable so far, in my opinion, but it's still pretty good.

Reply to topic