Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 am 

Christofer Johnsson is one of the better "metal celebrities" to follow on fb, as his posts are considered and interesting information dumps with a few hints of nostalgia. check his anniversary post on "Theli" for some really shocking insights.

today I woke up to this post, and I thought it might be of interest to more people here:

Spoiler: show
When Luciferian Light Orchestra released the debut, the digital sales were still very small. But I could feel where the future winds were blowing.

I thought it was cool to give something extra to those buying a physical album and decided to make a cover song and put as a secret bonus track on the CD.

For the vinyl I decided to add it as a 7 inch single with just black label and cover.

A lot of people think that just because you are in (or have been associated with) a successful band, you get so much for free if you decide to make another band or project. You for sure have a lot of knowledge of how things works and useful contacts to rely on - and the ears of your fans. But it doesn't really help you as much as people think. If you have something amazing, then it's great that you can just call the boss of a record label and you have many followers in social media who can check it out. But in the end people will listen to what they like. Few Maiden fans bought the solo albums of Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith. Main man and legend Steve Harris side project British Lion has only 14k monthly listeners on Spotify, while Maiden has 7,8 million. Despite being on a major label and making interviews with all major music magazines and touring with the band. That's because it sounds like any average what ever band. As a huge Maiden fan I'm very interested in what Steve Harris is up to and of course check it out. But if I don't like it, I don't waste my ears listening to a band no matter who plays in the band. Just like I think Glen Tipton's solo album sucked ass (it’s literally the worst album I have paid money for) and I'm an insanely huge Judas Priest fan. Most side projects and new bands tends to suck. Either they use poor leftover material, play a music style they aren’t good at or they where dependent on the chemistry between the members of their successful band to get it right.

But then you have some golden exceptions. When Rob Halford (after two failed attempts of new post Priest bands) made his first solo album, he of course also had my ear. And that was a total hit, I was completely blown away! Just like the songs I've heard from KK Downings new band (counting the days for the album to be out)! But those two albums have in common that they sound EXACTLY like Judas Priest, which seems to be a condition to get that golden ticket to successful response.
When I recorded the LLO album I didn't really have much expectations. I just wanted to record the songs. I really didn’t know if it would be a ”Tipton” or a ”Halford” in the ears of the Therion crowd, but given the different sound I didn’t have too high hopes. On one hand our fans are exceptionally open minded, but on the other hand it’s rather straight forward and not so much going on in the songs compared to Therion. It turned out to be somewhere in between, which is probably what a record label would have expected (I released it my self du to some specific reasons). Some fans liked it a lot, but it didn’t create any big boom. I felt content with that and thought I’ll maybe do a second album some time in the future.

The last 2 years the band has started to get on the rise in digital streaming. Three of the songs on the album are streaming on a Therion level, the most popular song "Church of Carmel" is even streaming on the level of more popular Therion songs. And the prime market for LLO is in the US - a traditionally weak market for Therion. So it seems like the album has found own listeners over the years. When you see what other artists the LLO fans on Spotify likes, Therion isn’t even on the list. It's cool to see that it's possible to establish new bands even without a lot of promotion from big record labels and tons of money needed to be thrown at it. As much as I prefer physical albums, I have to admit that is one of the cool features of streaming, you get recommended and shared a lot of new stuff that you will often end up liking. So a band with a potential can, with time, establish just by having likeable music.

Due to the recent rise of the band (I suppose) I got a lot of questions when I did interview promoting Leviathan about possible future albums with LLO.

I’ve had the songs ready for a second LLO album for a while, but I’m gonna be busy recording Leviathan II and III for quite some time. And then touring may even start again. So it may take a while. So I thought meanwhile I’ll upload ”Malenka” as a single, just to show the band isn’t dead. For most of the over 10k monthly listeners on Spotify, Apple Music and smaller streaming services, this song is new and it could be cool to show a small sign of life from the band meanwhile.

Malenka is a cover song from a very obscure and long gone underground band. Anyone knows the original?

https://www.facebook.com/chris.vontheri ... 6768026289

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:50 pm 

I honestly have never even listened to Therion, but I love Luciferian Light Orchestra. I found out about them on this site on the similar artists tab for Ghost, and eventually picked up both the album and the EP. All of their material is great, and I think they have a really unique sound, even if it's not anything new. They really hone in on the retro occult rock cheese, but their sound is modern and fresh to me with good production and interesting song-writing. I definitely would love to hear a new album from them, and I'm glad to know that he'll be doing one eventually. He mentioned a new song coming out, did he say when and how it would be released?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:01 pm 

you might have read that in haste. he says he has written the entire second LLO album, but he'll be busy with Therion for the foreseeable, therefore he made the initially physical release exclusive song, "Malenka", available on Spotify too :)

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:40 pm 

Ah I see now. Previously, I believe that song was unnamed, so I didn't realize he was talking about the bonus track. And yeah, I know it will be a while and that it's not his priority, but I'm glad it won't be a one and done album project and there's actually future plans in place.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:57 pm 

new post on cover albums: https://www.facebook.com/chris.vontheri ... 0720879227

Spoiler: show
Another year with ”Les Fleurs du Mal” in existence. An abomination to some, but yet one of the most successful cover albums on Spotify ever - in relation to the ordinary level of success of a band. As of today it has almost 13,2 million streams on Spotify, which makes it the no. 1 most streamed Therion album. The number two on the list is ”Vovin” with 11,2 million and third Lemuria with 7,2 million.

The second most streamed Therion song is ”Mon Amour Mon Ami”, with 3,4 million streams (that’s over a million more than the original version, which was a huge hit in France).

That is simply stunning for an album that is:

• A self release with little promotion. Not a single advert was bought for paper media or internet.

• In French language. Outside of France and Quebec that is usually a tough sell (and no, it hasn’t streamed much more in France proportionally, it streams pretty much where Therion normally streams).

• Consisting of cover songs of both known and totally obscure (if you’re not French they are probably all obscure) oldies that the fans of the band normally would laugh or spit at.

In comparison, the cover album ”Under Cover” by Ozzy Osbourne has 15,3 million streams. That’s quite breathtaking given that Ozzy is an artist that has sold over 100 times more records than Therion and has almost a billion Spotify streams from his top 10 songs alone. His cover album is:

• Released by major label Epic, with massive promotion.

• In English language.

• Consisting of cover songs by beloved hit songs from Beatles, Rolling Stones, John Lennon, The Animals and other world famous artists.

It’s quite stunning that more people are interested in hearing me interpret ”Mon Amour Mon Ami” from Marie Laforêt than hearing Ozzy interpret for example ”Sympathy for the Devil” or ”Working Class Hero”.

We can also compare with Slayer’s ”Undisputed Attitude”. Slayer has sold over 20 times as many records as Therion, and has over 360 million streams on their Spotify top 10, yet their cover album has streamed only 10,5 million.

• Released by major label American, with massive promotion.

• In English language.

• Consisting of cover songs by famous punk and hardcore bands, one own track (Gemini, by far most popular track with 2,1 million streams) and two tracks written by Jeff Hanneman for an earlier side project.

David Bowie’s cover album ”Pinups” has 26,6 million streams on Spotify from which over half of the streams comes from the hit song ”Sorrow”. Bowie has sold over 100 times more records than Therion, has almost two billion Spotify streams from his top 10 songs. Pinups was:

• Released by major label RCA, with massive promotion.

• In English language.

• Consisting of cover songs by beloved hit songs from Pink Floyd, The Who, The Kinks, Yardbirds and other world famous artists.

It is again breathtaking that more people want to hear me interpret weird old French songs than hearing Bowie interpret for example ”Shape of Things” that inspired both Paul McCartney and Jimi Hendrix and has been covered by legends like Led Zeppelin, Rush and Gary Moore.

I mean absolutely no disrespect towards those album I’m comparing with - on the contrary I’m just simply dropping my jaw every time I’m thinking about it. I was just hoping to do a cool act of art (and piss off some boring people that needed a musical foot in their arse) back in 2012. If someone would have told me that in 2021 that I would more or less be able to make a living from the digital sales of that album alone, I would have though it was insane. So the lesson to be made is; always follow your heart musically, without thought of consequences. Often the world will give you right with time if you created something good.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:40 pm 

^ That's interesting.

In business there's something called "Blue Ocean Strategy", where you target a quiet section of the market instead of a busy one. Why? Because the busy section is where all your competitors are. Instead, find an area that isn't being served, even if it seems weird or unpromising.

You wouldn't think there are many people who are fans of both French pop and symphonic metal, but how many bands cater to those people? Basically none. Therion was able to capture an entire market with one album.

Reply to topic