Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 pm 

Host is good, guys, it doesn't belong in this thread. It wasn't their best record, but it's so different from the rest of their oeuvre that it's really a breath of fresh air! And they still do So Much Is Lost (the album opener) live, saw it last Thursday when they played here in Poland.

Believe in Nothing is generally considered their weakest link, however, still an enjoyable one. They never said they hated the album; they were merely disappointed with the production it had. It was also a very tumultuous period for the band. 3 years ago they remixed the album and even played its lead single, Mouth, live at a couple of gigs. A good album hindered by its production, but it's nowhere near being horrible.

A quote from PL's vocalist:

"It's no secret that we were never entirely happy with the production on this record, despite really liking the songs. It's been a long time coming, but we finally found the right moment to go back into the studio with Gomez (Orgone Studios) and play around with it. We hope you all enjoy the remixed version so you can hear how the songs were meant to sound." – Nick Holmes

entzauberung
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:35 am 

Lissart wrote:
Host is good, guys, it doesn't belong in this thread. It wasn't their best record, but it's so different from the rest of their oeuvre that it's really a breath of fresh air! And they still do So Much Is Lost (the album opener) live, saw it last Thursday when they played here in Poland.

Believe in Nothing is generally considered their weakest link, however, still an enjoyable one. They never said they hated the album; they were merely disappointed with the production it had. It was also a very tumultuous period for the band. 3 years ago they remixed the album and even played its lead single, Mouth, live at a couple of gigs. A good album hindered by its production, but it's nowhere near being horrible.

A quote from PL's vocalist:

"It's no secret that we were never entirely happy with the production on this record, despite really liking the songs. It's been a long time coming, but we finally found the right moment to go back into the studio with Gomez (Orgone Studios) and play around with it. We hope you all enjoy the remixed version so you can hear how the songs were meant to sound." – Nick Holmes

Maybe they've softened their stance with time, but I've read some very harsh statements from PL about BIN in the past. It has a few good songs though, absolutely.

EndorphinMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:08 am 

NurseWitchWound wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Also... y'know, Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake"... perhaps the most infamous example of that in metal.

Cold Lake isn't even Celtic Frost's worst by far, At least Tom G. Warrior acknowlegdes it. I find it funny how many "celtic frost fans" don't even know about Prototype. Don't speak to Tom G. Warrior about Prototype ever hahahahahaha.

Thank you very, very much for this. Hip Hop Jugend is my new all time favorite song.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:50 pm 

Surprised no on mentioned Slayer's "Diabolous in Musica." Kerry has disowned it, calling it "Our Turbo."

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 pm 

traxan wrote:
Surprised no on mentioned Slayer's "Diabolous in Musica." Kerry has disowned it, calling it "Our Turbo."

Turbo at least has some worthwhile moments imo.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:25 pm 

Stratovarius' self-titled was so bad that it caused Timo Tolkki to be booted out. And then they followed it up with Polaris, which featured the band fully invigorated.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:07 am 

Well now be fair. Tolki had just had a massive mental breakdown. How he even made that record is something of a miracle.

But yes, Matthias was a breath of fresh air.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:19 am 

traxan wrote:
Well now be fair. Tolki had just had a massive mental breakdown. How he even made that record is something of a miracle.

That's no excuse. Anyone involved in production that heard "Maniac Dance" for the first time should have done their God given duty and pressed delete on that entire thing. Jeez.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:02 am 

traxan wrote:

Tolkki to me always seemed to have a very idiosyncratic personality, so it's not surprising that his mental breakdown resulted in the album being what it was. At least he's in a better mental state now.

To stay on topic, how about Desultory and Swallow the Snake? They broke up after that album, a couple members played stoner metal in Zebulon, and then when they reformed they went back to their original sound.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2