Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:30 pm 

For a very long time now good thrash was like the needle in the haystack and you'd had to dig up that one gem from endless boring muck. Finding a record like Condor's Unstoppable Power was hard work. Oh and for some reason only Norway seemed to be busy producing actually good stuff.

However this year it seems that the stars finally have aligned we have gotten an unprecedented amount of killer thrash. I never thought I'd say this but Thrash is dominating this year in terms of metal, this is not something I am old enough to have experienced before.

here are my own faves of this year:
(and yes i'm excluding releases that are clearly less thrash than anything else like Significant Point's album, Craven Idol or Transilvania)
Spoiler: show

and we are getting a new Deathhammer album as well this year and considering their past output it's prob going to be ripper too.

Have you people noticed any other killer releases?

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:29 pm 

Have to agree it's been a great year for thrash. Some other good releases:

Technical thrash:
Paranorm - Empyrean
Obsolete - Animate//Isolate
Project: Roenwolfe - Edge of Saturn
Scythelord - Earth Boiling Dystopia
Siderean - Lost on Void's Horizon

Blackened thrash:
Krossfyre - Rites of Extermination
Demoniac - So it Goes (it's technical too)
Golden Blood - Serpent Chariot (has Venom vibes)

Others:
Militaria - Remains With Pain (straight up thrash)
Laceration - Demise (death thrash)

My pick of all the thrash releases for 2021 at this stage would be Enforced. It just speaks my language. I'll be grabbing that Nekromantheon too I reckon.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:33 pm 

Mystic Storm, Nocturnal, Hellcrash, and Oxygen Destroyer have all put out extremely strong releases this year as well. Having said that, I think its telling that almost none of these albums are really pure thrash, and most have enough other influences thrown in to where I'd feel odd calling them as such (except for the Nekromantheon from the ones I've heard in your list). Thrash having been a stepping stone in metal's evolution to more extreme sub-genres kind of makes it the bastard of the scene it seems.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:39 pm 

In addition to those already mentioned the debut from Cryptosis (formerly Distillator) is really good, for those into technical/progressive thrash.

On the death/thrash side there's the new album from Hexorcist.

For blackened thrash, the new Graveripper EP is pretty good.

As is the new EP from Spellforger

Lucifuge put out some awesome black/thrash/speed metal this year.

I also discovered Speed Command from Argentina this year.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:23 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Mystic Storm, Nocturnal, Hellcrash, and Oxygen Destroyer have all put out extremely strong releases this year as well. Having said that, I think its telling that almost none of these albums are really pure thrash, and most have enough other influences thrown in to where I'd feel odd calling them as such (except for the Nekromantheon from the ones I've heard in your list). Thrash having been a stepping stone in metal's evolution to more extreme sub-genres kind of makes it the bastard of the scene it seems.

There’s been hardly any pure Thrash since the early 90s, excluding the revival period 15 years ago. At least none that did much for me unfortunately. I checked out Nekromantheon, Cryptosis, and the Condor album from 2017 but none of them stuck too much yet. I’ll give those three a few more chances because all three albums showed potential in different ways. Glad others are digging it though!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm 

Flotsam & Jetsam and The Crown are two others with thrash DNA that are pretty good from this year.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:33 pm 

I haven't listened to a lot of thrash releases from 2021, but the ones I've heard are stellar, especially from the blackened thrash community. People like Golden Blood sure know how to thrash! :np:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:34 pm 

Steel Bearing Hand is incredibly good at writing songs. Liking Obsolete too, a weird more surf-y, out-there take on the genre. I need to check out some more for sure so good thread.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:22 pm 

I definitely noticed this as well. Mystic Storm is probably the greatest standout for me so far this year, but SBH, Enforced, Nekromantheon, and Dead Heat are all excellent as well. That Anthropophagous album is really thrashy as well, it's like death metal with Exodus riffs rather than typical death/thrash.

I really like that Project Roenwolfe album as well, well-done power/thrash with a great eye for melody. I wish there was more stuff like that, in the By Inheritance/Rust in Peace vein. Would be a great year for a new Wildhunt album!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:36 pm 

Great stuff in this thread. That Mystic Storm sounds like pure Power Trip-core. I'm not complaining, but I wonder how long it's going to be before that style has worn out its welcome, particularly with bands like High Command and Enforced on the scene. Power Trip themselves have quite a task ahead of them with their next album, assuming that ever happens after Riley's tragic passing.

In terms of upcoming thrash-adjacent records, I'm looking forward to the Proscriptor McGovern's Apsu album.

SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:12 am 

Cabecao wrote:

Off topic: may I ask if albums like this, which was released digitally in 2020 and physically in 2021, is considered a 2021 release? I'm thinking of Worm's Gloomlord, which was initially dropped on Bandcamp in December 2019, but was taken as a 2020 release by many, and even made it to the MA 2020 poll.

It's the second year I'd be making a year end list, so I want to know if such issues should be taken into consideration. Nevertheless, So It Goes is great, top 3 in either year for me.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:35 am 

Artillery hit me really hard, rubbish artwork but ace songs. Septagon another good one.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:14 am 

des91 wrote:
There’s been hardly any pure Thrash since the early 90s, excluding the revival period 15 years ago. At least none that did much for me unfortunately.

Imo all these bands follow in the foosteps of thrash from the mid 80s from Germany, South America etc than the bay area sound. If you consider 1988 thrash from the bay area pure thrash then yeah this isn't pure thrash at all. However I think this way of looking at thrash is very flawed as that sound is not pure at all either as it has a lot of elements from American 80s hardcore punk.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:30 am 

praey wrote:
Great stuff in this thread. That Mystic Storm sounds like pure Power Trip-core. I'm not complaining, but I wonder how long it's going to be before that style has worn out its welcome, particularly with bands like High Command and Enforced on the scene. Power Trip themselves have quite a task ahead of them with their next album, assuming that ever happens after Riley's tragic passing.

I don’t hear hardly any Power Trip in Mystic Storm. It’s much more a mash up of Manilla Road (thrash-era) and Sentinel Beast to my ears.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:44 am 

Not pure thrash, but this stood out to me:

And some blackened thrash too:

This band also has a killer 20 min. song.

Other thrash and thrash-adjacent releases that caught my attention have already been mentioned (Paranorm is really good).

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:13 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
des91 wrote:
There’s been hardly any pure Thrash since the early 90s, excluding the revival period 15 years ago. At least none that did much for me unfortunately.

Imo all these bands follow in the foosteps of thrash from the mid 80s from Germany, South America etc than the bay area sound. If you consider 1988 thrash from the bay area pure thrash then yeah this isn't pure thrash at all. However I think this way of looking at thrash is very flawed as that sound is not pure at all either as it has a lot of elements from American 80s hardcore punk.

It's kind of hilarious that because Metallica is the biggest selling and most popular metal band that they have become synonymous with metal itself. And thrash fans that think it's the most purely metal genre. I'm projecting a bit, because it took longer than I'd care to admit for me to even really realize just how much influence punk and hardcore bands had on them, Slayer and others. Although, The Black Album is about as close to the definition of pure metal that doesn't fit into any particular subgenre as you can get.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:15 am 

I wish melodic/power-thrash had a bit more representation but the new albums from Project: Roenwolfe and Flotsam & Jetsam have delivered in that regard. It's been a pretty good year for black-thrash though, gotta second Graveripper, Enforced and Oxygen Destroyer in particular.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 am 

Hmmm...not sure if I agree with the title of the thread. Good thrash has been alive and well for a long time. If you want to find pizza and beer thrash you will find it. If you want good thrash, you will find it. I'm also questioning anyone calling Hexorcist death/thrash. That said, here is one of my favorite thrash released of 2021

Like your reviews?

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:49 am 

mjollnir wrote:
Hmmm...not sure if I agree with the title of the thread. Good thrash has been alive and well for a long time. If you want to find pizza and beer thrash you will find it. If you want good thrash, you will find it. I'm also questioning anyone calling Hexorcist death/thrash.

Hexorcist are an example of a specific modern variant of death/thrash to me. If you compare them to bands like Oxygen Destroyer or Oath of Cruelty they're not miles away, although very much more on the death metal side of the equation. Sure, they're also very much influenced by Altars of Madness and some first wave black metal, but so are many of the other bands that have been posted.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:27 am 

i prefer pizza to modern thrash...

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 pm 

doomicus wrote:
praey wrote:

I don’t hear hardly any Power Trip in Mystic Storm. It’s much more a mash up of Manilla Road (thrash-era) and Sentinel Beast to my ears.

Thematically it seems they're a different beast, but to me the groovy rhythms and riffing style, along with the reverby shouted vocals, reek of Power Trip to me. I’m not saying Power Trip is only band to use those elements, just that I get really similar vibes from Mystic Storm. That said, I can hear enough differences that "pure Power Trip-core" was probably an overstatement on my part.

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:47 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
des91 wrote:
However I think this way of looking at thrash is very flawed as that sound is not pure at all either as it has a lot of elements from American 80s hardcore punk.

This is one of the funniest things i've seen in quite a while.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:51 pm 

Space Chaser sounded enjoyable to my ears, and pretty much as close to pure thrash as it gets.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:12 pm 

The best thrash album and of the year probably, is Enforced. I was shocked when it came out, miles better than the first, truly amazing stuff.

Following up I'ld suggest going for Demoniac and Nekromatheon, not far behind in greatness

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm 

mirons wrote:
Space Chaser sounded enjoyable to my ears, and pretty much as close to pure thrash as it gets.

Great band....I JUST discovered them last night!!

Like your reviews?

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:16 pm 

As someone who's been listening to metal for many years now, my knowledge of the thrash subgenre is, frankly, embarrassing. I have a few albums of Exodus, Metallica, Slayer, etc, but I guess I never really understood much about it. So, what's with the pizza and beer stuff?

I saw Andrew WK in 2018 (yes, it was pretty great still) and he played one song on a 'pizza guitar' - is this incident possibly derived from this apparent phenomenon of pizza thrash?

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 pm 

As an active participant in this neo-thrash thing, modern thrash had largely "emerged from the pizza" by like 2013 at the latest. You're a bit late on this, in my view. Most groups from the "Thrashing Like a Maniac" era who lasted past 2010 in the scene did so because they had something unique and different to offer than simply the tropes.

If anything, I think the black/speed/thrash takes are the thing I hear the most saturation of, TBH, as well as the many followers of Power Trip (which is a pretty cool style, to be fair, but might reach saturation pretty quick the way things are going).

In my own band's career, we were very acutely aware of the "pizza" stigma and basically moved away from it almost full speed for everything after our debut (which does have sharks and zombies popping up in the lyrics, that comic-y violence, etc.) I'd argue that second record onward, you really can't apply that label to what we've put out, if you actually listen to it.

But yeah, this one is actually a sore subject for me, because the scene/press seems to absolutely be keep to refuse to recognize any considerable of the growth and development that definitely >has< occurred in thrash since 2008, especially among existing new bands. There are actually a fair number of bands that are INSTANTLY recognizable and discernible from anything that existed in the '83-'92 period of thrash, but somehow this never gets recognized as innovation.

I think part of this is because the original thrash artists came back into putting out thrash or thrash adjacent material, largely because of the neo-thrash movement in the scene. That I think has actually had a seriously detrimental effect on new artists and the ability of their own careers to develop.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:00 pm 

CrudeNoiseMonger wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
des91 wrote:
However I think this way of looking at thrash is very flawed as that sound is not pure at all either as it has a lot of elements from American 80s hardcore punk.

This is one of the funniest things i've seen in quite a while.

I know, right? Talk about missing the point.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:04 pm 

Checked out the Paranorm full-length today after seeing it pop up in this thread. Great call folks, this one is quite great. Really interesting and involved songwriting, that never overstays its welcome with the lengthy compositions.

TheAllNightRocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:08 pm 

SOLANUM from Sacramento is pretty ripping

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCec8WdpMbM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qposWmdQaIg

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm 

Thrash is very interesting tbh. Like what is Thrash exactly? Is it just “pure” Thrash like Exodus or Metallica or the Bay Area sound, with no Death/Black/Power influences? Does incorporating any of those genres make it part of THOSE genres more so than Thrash itself?

Thrash and Thrash adjacent stuff was my first love do to Metallica being the first band I got into. But it seems like less people listen to “Thrash” than I thought? Like mentioned here previously, do that many people really just see it as a gateway genre to Death/Black? Do those same people consider Death and Black styled Thrash, Thrash at all? Or just Death/Black Metal with Thrash influences.

Maybe I’m just overthinking this shit because I’m a fuckn nerd. But for me personally, I consider an album Thrash, (in the case of a Death or Black Thrash album)if it is fucking fast as hell for about 75% of its duration. This means tons and tons of skank beats, with blasts mixed in sometimes too.

Lol ok I’m done.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 pm 

AmIKevill wrote:
As an active participant in this neo-thrash thing, modern thrash had largely "emerged from the pizza" by like 2013 at the latest. You're a bit late on this, in my view. Most groups from the "Thrashing Like a Maniac" era who lasted past 2010 in the scene did so because they had something unique and different to offer than simply the tropes.

If anything, I think the black/speed/thrash takes are the thing I hear the most saturation of, TBH, as well as the many followers of Power Trip (which is a pretty cool style, to be fair, but might reach saturation pretty quick the way things are going).

In my own band's career, we were very acutely aware of the "pizza" stigma and basically moved away from it almost full speed for everything after our debut (which does have sharks and zombies popping up in the lyrics, that comic-y violence, etc.) I'd argue that second record onward, you really can't apply that label to what we've put out, if you actually listen to it.

But yeah, this one is actually a sore subject for me, because the scene/press seems to absolutely be keep to refuse to recognize any considerable of the growth and development that definitely >has< occurred in thrash since 2008, especially among existing new bands. There are actually a fair number of bands that are INSTANTLY recognizable and discernible from anything that existed in the '83-'92 period of thrash, but somehow this never gets recognized as innovation.

I think part of this is because the original thrash artists came back into putting out thrash or thrash adjacent material, largely because of the neo-thrash movement in the scene. That I think has actually had a seriously detrimental effect on new artists and the ability of their own careers to develop.

Hi Mr Kevill, I remember seeing Warbringer in York, England (maybe about 2012) and getting a nosebleed off some guy's shoulder :-P

For sure, plenty of the new era of thrash bands didn't adhere to the "pizza" style and just played it straight. The thing that marks out a lot of the groups like Evile, Havok (eh, not recently), Bonded by Blood, Suicidal Angels, Game Over, Warbringer etc. for me is the chunkiness of the sound, which is what a lot of the old-school thrashers started using after around 2008. Generally, a lot of the old punk and heavy metal influences have been wiped out in the modern sound, making way sometimes for deathly tone (not actual death metal), which is how those groups sometimes stepped around the "pizza" tag. Serious thrash, if you like. Tonally, I would never have suspected that Warbringer were afraid the debut could be a pizza album, though I guess Bonded by Blood probably went through the same thought process according to their development.

But the distinction never made sense to me anyway, since lots of the old-school bands weren't serious all the time either, and some excellent tunes have been thrown down in the name of fun by Gama Bomb, Municipal Waste, Lich King, etc. If the riffs are good, I'm going to be smiling either way.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:40 am 

I agree this is a great year for thrash. I'll add the Cryptosis/Vektor split as well as one of the highlights.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned, just wanted to add my confusion to the Mystic Storm comparison to Power Trip (Enforced would be a better comparison, a more Slayerized variation I guess) but in any case, Mystic Storm is great, excellent female vocals with attitude.

I have no idea at the end of the year which album will get the first place (Nekromantheon and Obsolete so far for me) but definitely lots of great stuff this year.

Demoniac is a 2020 release. CD was released in 2020.

For whoever said they dig power/thrash and a solid melodic approach, may I recommend the Slovenians Eruption? They released a STELLAR album in 2017, Cloaks of Oblivion. Bonus points if you like Warrel Dane's vocals, the singer is certainly a fan (not as obvious though as Silver Talon for example). They will soon be releasing a new album, which I am expecting very eagerly. I'll add Trallery's debut as well, which I will never stop recommending as a brilliant album and definitely one of my favorites from the new thrash scene (+ favorite metal album from Spain in general).

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:38 am 

Cabecao wrote:
Have to agree it's been a great year for thrash. Some other good releases:

Technical thrash:
Paranorm - Empyrean
Obsolete - Animate//Isolate
Project: Roenwolfe - Edge of Saturn
Scythelord - Earth Boiling Dystopia
Siderean - Lost on Void's Horizon

Blackened thrash:
Krossfyre - Rites of Extermination
Golden Blood - Serpent Chariot (has Venom vibes)

Others:
Militaria - Remains With Pain (straight up thrash)
Laceration - Demise (death thrash)

My pick of all the thrash releases for 2021 at this stage would be Enforced. It just speaks my language. I'll be grabbing that Nekromantheon too I reckon.

What a shame to see an Aussie post and no mention of 2 of my favourite bands of recent times Hidden Intent and Desecrator, both ​farkin great Aussie thrash bands and both have new and very cool albums out, especially Hidden Intent, that album will be in my top 10.

https://hiddenintent.bandcamp.com/
https://desecratoraus.bandcamp.com/album/summoning

Also The Troops Of Doom have a new EP out "The Absence Of Light", a bit more on the deathier side of thrash but goddamn I love it!

https://www.thetroopsofdoom.com/

The Mystic Storm album fuckin rules, can't wait to get it and I see Demiser have signed with Metal Blade and there should hopefully be a CD release shortly, that album kicks all kinda ass too.
Right I'm off to order Steel Bearing Hand, Nekromantheon, Enforced and E-Force cause this thread has reminded me of them and I've been a bit bloody slack gettin em. Gotta check out more from Cryptosis too, liked what I heard here.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:06 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Demoniac is a 2020 release. CD was released in 2020.

Damn, you just nuked my top album of the year... It was released on Spotify in 2021, hence the confusion.

Back to list-making, I guess...

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:48 am 

I find that Spotify album year listings are very frequently wrong, so I pay little attention to them.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:50 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
What a shame to see an Aussie post and no mention of 2 of my favourite bands of recent times Hidden Intent and Desecrator, both ​farkin great Aussie thrash bands and both have new and very cool albums out, especially Hidden Intent, that album will be in my top 10.

Oooohh you cheeky bugger hahaha! Militaria are Aussie!! I put them in the list.
Honestly I just never got into Desecrator but I will say they give it a good crack live. I'll revisit Hidden Intent based on your recommendation. I did forget to mention Cryptosis, they're worth checking out.
As far as Aussie thrash goes I really enjoyed the last few albums from Harlott and In Malice's Wake. Harlott's last one wasn't as strong as Extinction but still good whereas IMW's latest was a ball tearer.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:31 am 

Listening now to Mystic Storm - the music is top notch, but I have to say the vocals sound rather annoying to me, too much monotone shouting/wailing. I might eventually get past it though, as the music is very, very good indeed and definitely makes me want to listen to the album again.

SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 am 

If the new Demoniac is a strict 2020 release, then the new album by Acid Age is my favorite thrash of 2021. The band's new direction on this one reminds me of Canadian Droid in the way they blend thrash and heavy/speed metal.

https://acidage.bandcamp.com/album/semper-pessimus

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:48 pm 

AmIKevill wrote:

Regardless of how much people like your band or not I did see people treat Warbringer more seriously than a lot of your peers even among people who don't really care about your work.

Personally speaking even if rethrash/pizza was already way past its prime in any sense of it by 2012 or so. There was in my opinion still an absolute dearth of Thrash I cared about. For years I was saying that there still was good new thrash but you had to do your best to find it. Ofcourse this says something about what I like in thrash but I honestly really think that bands like Enforced, Vulture and Nekromantheon have song and riff writing depth that was sorely missing from the average Thrash release for the last 20 years.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next