Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:53 pm 

After listening to "Mirror Reaper" by Bell Witch, "Dopesmoker" by Sleep and "Null & Void" by Núll. I wonder what other great "1 long song" albums are out there? Are they too ambitious?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:14 pm 

Green Carnation, light of day day of darkness

Edge of Sanity, crimson

Insomnium cheated, winter's gate isn't axully one song...

Fates Warning aPSoG isn't one song either, but some people consider it as such

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:29 pm 

Sabbat - The Dwelling.

Nothing else even comes close. It's dynamic and true to the band's sound as well as being extremely ambitious, but not in a way that makes it pretentious.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:44 pm 

Boris's "Absolutego" and "Flood" are stellar doom/drone metal records that I recommend if you're into that type of stuff.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:46 pm 

The first Altar of Plagues album is what instantly came to mind. Only four songs, but they're all linked together and the whole thing is around 50 minutes long, and it can easily be interpreted as a single piece.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:47 pm 

I'm always surprised Inter Arma's Cavern didn't get much love, it's almost as good as Sky Burial: https://interarma.bandcamp.com/album/the-cavern

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:51 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Boris's "Absolutego" and "Flood" are stellar doom/drone metal records that I recommend if you're into that type of stuff.

Feedbacker is even better imho.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:58 pm 

Meshuggah - I

We All Die (Laughing) - Thoughtscanning

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:04 pm 

Bongripper - The Great Barrier Reefer

If you don't know these guys yet, I recommend you check them out! They're an instrumental sludge/stoner doom metal band from Chicago, and they write some of the heaviest, most epic instrumental doom metal tracks there are. The Great Barrier Reefer truly is a solid record, however I also do recommand their other albums Satan Worshipping Doom, Hippie Killer, and their most recent, Terminal. Which are all absolutely amazing records!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 pm 

A lot of funeral doom stuff like this. I wasn't all that hot on the French Monolithe, but they do that more than once I think. Slow is another one. Random Spanish band Of Darkness made an awesome one-song demo: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/O ... Eye/118760

I guess the early Mortiis stuff all works like it's one song too, although most of the albums contain 2 long pieces.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 pm 

I just finished cutting the grass and I listened to Thoughts From A Stone by Coma Cluster Void. That album is an absolute mindfuck. 22 minutes long and fairly seamless, it took quite a few listens to really figure out what was happening and even still I can pick out a new little quirk every so often. Super heavy, technical, "progressive." The interplay between the vocalists is great and very complementary. I'm not sure what their plans are for their next album, but they did an amazing job on the aforementioned and anything they put out is probably gonna be okay in my book. They still aren't on the archives though because they aren't real metal :old:

Somebody mentioned Boris earlier, their albums "Flood" and "Feedbacker" are some of my top albums of all time.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 pm 

aloof wrote:
Edge of Sanity, crimson

This is my answer. I love Edge of Sanity, and I love what they did with this song. It has all the cool moods and sounds that they had built up over their previous albums, and it's just a really cool listening experience. The way the song comes back to certain motifs gives it a sense of continuity. I particularly love that they even brought back some of that goth rock influence too.

Boris and Sleep's single song albums are usually more background music than anything for me. I do like how chill "Flood" is, and both my partner and I have "Dopesmoker" on vinyl, so it does get some spins now and then!

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 pm 

An EP rather than full length but Gorguts' last release Pleiades' Dust is excellent. Also Suffering Hour's Dwell is a shorter but also excellent one track EP

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:08 pm 

ColdBecoming wrote:
An EP rather than full length but Gorguts' last release Pleiades' Dust is excellent.

It's 33 minutes, close enough! I found myself enjoying this more than the comeback album, and Patrice on drums was also a nice addition.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:20 pm 

Firmament1 wrote:
Meshuggah - I

I would add Meshuggah's Catch 33 and Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects' Sol Niger Within (particularly the 3.33 version) in this camp, too.

Funeral doom band Ea generally do long one-song albums, even if they're split up. Most of their albums are quite good.

Human's Alizarin Refraction is a 10 track death metal album with no discernible breaks between tracks, so it plays as one long song. It's actually pretty good, too. Doesn't feel bloated and keeps you engaged in the music. I highly recommend it.

Scald's Vermiculatus is a 47 minute long song, even if the song itself has a clear first and second half. Still, quite interesting stuff.

SmallPoxie wrote:
Are they too ambitious?

Good question. I guess it depends on the band themselves, and the type of music they're playing. Doom metal seems more inclined to do these types of one-song albums because songs in this genre are usually longer. I couldn't imagine a grindcore album with one long song. In general I prefer gapless albums, even if the songs are disconnected. Feels like they're telling me a story.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 pm 

Hey, if the band says it's one song, then it's one song lol. Winter's Gate all the way (though it's actually one of the worst Insomnium albums).

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:16 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Hey, if the band says it's one song, then it's one song lol. Winter's Gate all the way (though it's actually one of the worst Insomnium albums).

I have the opposite view, I think it's one of the best albums they've written. I've lost count of how many times I played the entire thing at this point, I listened to it on the subway to and from work almost every day for close to 6 months after it was released.

People have already mentioned Crimson but I think Crimson II is just as solid even though it's just Dan and couple of guests. I think I've actually listened to it more than the first album.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:44 pm 

aloof wrote:
Green Carnation, light of day day of darkness

/thread

One of the best songs/albums in all of metal tbh

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:00 am 

In An Excruciating Way Infested With Vermin And Violated By Executioners Who Practise Incendiarism And Desanctifying The Pious by Wormphlegm might be one of the best funeral doom albums/songs ever made.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:28 am 

Sabbat's The Dwelling is the correct answer. For runner up I'd say El Mundo Frio by Corrupted.

polpet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:31 am 

I'd say X Japan-Art of life

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:43 am 

doomicus wrote:
Sabbat - The Dwelling.

Nothing else even comes close. It's dynamic and true to the band's sound as well as being extremely ambitious, but not in a way that makes it pretentious.

This. And screw Crimson, it's not even EoS' best album for fuck sake! :p

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:40 am 

Easy question:

Darkestrah - Epos

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:47 am 

Impiety - Worshippers of the Seventh Tyranny

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:54 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
Easy question:

Darkestrah - Epos

I haven't listened to this one in ages, but I remember liking it. Will have to play it again.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:12 am 

polpet wrote:
I'd say X Japan-Art of life

Definitely seconding Art of Life. For all its bombast, it remains one of the most cathartic things I've ever heard.

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 am 

Quote:
Good question. I guess it depends on the band themselves, and the type of music they're playing. Doom metal seems more inclined to do these types of one-song albums because songs in this genre are usually longer. I couldn't imagine a grindcore album with one long song. In general I prefer gapless albums, even if the songs are disconnected. Feels like they're telling me a story.

Gonna have to disagree on the "Gapless" tracklist. I like them if the songs are genuinely telling a story or a concept. But, in the case of standard albums I prefer some gaps, they work as a "Break" or "Pause" from the album.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:24 am 

aloof wrote:
Fates Warning aPSoG isn't one song either, but some people consider it as such

The band wrote it as one song; songs can have multiple parts.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:36 am 

Anthrax - Only, from the Sound of White Noise.

Not sure sure if people like or hate that album. I am not of fan of the album overall but love the song Only. Actually not a fan of him at all on vocals with Anthrax, but I like him quite a bit with Armored Saint.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:45 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Anthrax - Only, from the Sound of White Noise.

Not sure sure if people like or hate that album. I am not of fan of the album overall but love the song Only. Actually not a fan of him at all on vocals with Anthrax, but I like him quite a bit with Armored Saint.

I think you missed the point of this thread, we're talking about albums that consist of only one long song (i.e Edge of Sanity's Crimson, Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness), not albums where there's only one song you like.

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:46 am 

Quote:
I think you missed the point of this thread, we're talking about albums that consist of only one long song (i.e Edge of Sanity's Crimson, Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness), not albums where there's only one song you like.

Yes, I was already thinking "Wait, Anthrax made a 1 song album?"

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:17 pm 

I would've thought Dopesmoker would be in my wheelhouse but I've had difficulty getting into that one.

If we're counting Chaining the Katechon by DsO then that track is the one I find myself going back to.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:23 pm 

My vote is for X-Japan's Art Of Life

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:08 pm 

Despite the low score on here...

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/B ... geon/34090

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:19 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I'm always surprised Inter Arma's Cavern didn't get much love, it's almost as good as Sky Burial: https://interarma.bandcamp.com/album/the-cavern

As much as I love Inter Arma and while The Cavern does have some great moments, I feel like it needs to be condensed from a structural standpoint. The parts are all cool, and the end is massive, but I feel like some sections got replayed just for the sake of making the song longer than it needed to be.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:49 pm 

GoatBoat wrote:
In An Excruciating Way Infested With Vermin And Violated By Executioners Who Practise Incendiarism And Desanctifying The Pious by Wormphlegm might be one of the best funeral doom albums/songs ever made.

That song feels super gimmicky on the whole Torture Doom thing. The song itself is pretty substance-less and I would argue only known because of the ridiculous title and the crazy shrieking

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:46 pm 

blackdiamond74 wrote:
If we're counting Chaining the Katechon by DsO then that track is the one I find myself going back to.

I was trying to not post about DsO since pretty much everything I post here has something to do with them or Gorguts (lol) but yeah, this was the first single song EP I heard from them. They have the formula down and it works incredibly well with the music they create. EP, full length, yada-yada, their long song EPs are packed with enough goodies that I don't care what you call them.

Seconding Catch 33, that was the first Meshuggah album I properly got into.

The album OHMnivalent by Anomalous, according to Lord Marco, is supposed to be one song but really the only thing that connects most of it together are some soft guitar notes/feedback thing between songs. Regardless, I feel that album is extremely underrated and it seems like any time I bring them up in real life I'm introducing people to the band.

I'm extremely fond of the concept of these massive, all-encompassing pieces. Might be my favorite form of song.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:50 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
Easy question:

Darkestrah - Epos

This one is indeed awesome.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 pm 

blackdiamond74 wrote:

that's my favourite DSO song and the only reason for not incuding it up top is that I consider it an EP or half-split song, not an "album"...

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:08 am 

I was obsessed with Wyrd's Heathen album/song back when it came out but haven't really played it much since, I didn't even know they made more albums!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next