Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:10 pm 

So y'know how some bands are accepted purely on a few albums, but have other albums that are more pop rock/nu-metal type stuff? Well, I was curious to ask if there's bands that have made completely non-Metal/Rock records, that are on the archives. For example, a thrash metal band would make one thrash album, then a rap album for the next. I'm wondering if there's anything like that on the archives.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:20 pm 

The closest I can think of is Phil Lynott's solo material, which has its own Archives page despite being pretty much pop rock/hard rock stuff and not metal at all. I did enquire about why this was the case, since I don't dispute Thin Lizzy being on the Archives but couldn't figure out why Lynott's solo material would qualify; apparently there's some sort of exception to the general admission rules which allows solo/side projects if they're by iconic figures in the genre or it's development, at least that was the impression I gleaned.

Other obvious candidates are Opeth's acoustic and prog albums, and most of Rush's discography - I understand why they're included on the Archives, but it's really weird to see all their keyboard era albums listed and reviewed on a metal database site.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:23 pm 

the side project rule is p much a relic from an earlier MA age, I don't think any has been added in years

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:27 pm 

Is it worth revisiting it and possibly revising the archives accordingly? As mentioned I'm not sure if any of Lynott's solo stuff qualifies as metal.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:29 pm 

I'm not entirely familiar with their entire discographies, but a few that popped into my head are:

Wardruna
The Night Flight Orchestra
Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:38 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Is it worth revisiting it and possibly revising the archives accordingly? As mentioned I'm not sure if any of Lynott's solo stuff qualifies as metal.

I used to own Solo In Soho his first album and it is generally a funky record but "Ode To A Black Man" has a riff that sounds similar to "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" by you know who.

Didn't realize Phil Lynott (outside of Thin Lizzy) was on the Archives though.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:45 pm 

The Gathering.

Metal.

Definitely not metal (but still good).

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 pm 

Well, it's not rock, but most of Ulver's discography. Still love 'em though. I actually prefer their non-metal stuff and three of those albums are ranked very high on my book.

Another one that comes to mind is III by Yattering. Again, not a rock album, but it was a definite "what the fuck" moment. Even worse of a turn than Morbid Angel's I album. I don't know what any of the members did after that, but if you look at their archives page it appears that album was the nail in the coffin.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:21 pm 

This is an interesting topic - because I think this is kind-of guided by real life. While bands like Wardruna and Ulver are not making metal, they are metal-adjacent and their fans are almost completely made up of metal-heads. So I tend to think that's a shade of grey that makes sense.

Although, imo, the same should apply to hardcore bands and it doesn't -- for example, who is "more metal" Earth Crisis or Wardruna?

There are also a TON of ambient projects on the Archives that have zero metal in them. Same could be said for industrial bands... Ministry is on the Archives when many of their albums have nothing to do with metal (also, I know it's probably not the same for most, but I love their first album that was basically New Wave/goth music) -- so why wouldn't you have more of the metal-y industrial bands?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
This is an interesting topic - because I think this is kind-of guided by real life. While bands like Wardruna and Ulver are not making metal, they are metal-adjacent and their fans are almost completely made up of metal-heads. So I tend to think that's a shade of grey that makes sense.

Although, imo, the same should apply to hardcore bands and it doesn't -- for example, who is "more metal" Earth Crisis or Wardruna?

I like how the hardcore thing was/is done on the site because while there's lots of really heavy hardcore punk music, most of it has nothing to do with metal and a line has to be drawn somewhere as far as the "Metal Archives" goes. Integrity is on the site, for example, and while rooted in hardcore punk, they were always groovier and riffier and among the first examples of metalcore. There ought to be some qualification beyond just being metal-adjacent.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:06 pm 

Well every Rush album is on the archives.... for some reason. So that's what... 17, 18 non metal albums?

And no, because at least one person here will argue otherwise, Rush never at any point made a metal album.

~Guest 94579
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:12 pm 

I'd say Mortiis fits the bill here. Yes, he was the original Emperor bassist. However, none of his solo material is metal. His earlier material is ambient synth, later is industrial rock. It's all pretty good, if you're into those things.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:15 pm 

Luciferian Light Orchestra (accepted via the side project rule, although some of their songs do have Doom elements) & King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard (Psychedelic Surf-Rock band that put out a full-on metal album) are some that came to mind.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:18 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Well every Rush album is on the archives.... for some reason. So that's what... 17, 18 non metal albums?

And no, because at least one person here will argue otherwise, Rush never at any point made a metal album.

And there are probably thousands of metal musicians that will vehemently disagree with you. It's okay to be wrong!

Like your reviews?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:23 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:

Well, Rush was considered a very heavy band back in the 70s, and it's been an influence to multiple prog metal bands, so I guess it kinda makes sense that they're on MA, even if they aren't metal in the slightest.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:27 pm 

If nothing else the A Farewell to Kings album, particularly the first two songs on there, were as influential for modern power/prog/trad as any Deep Purple or Sabbath tracks. Groundbreaking shit.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:27 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:

And there are probably thousands of metal musicians that will vehemently disagree with you. It's okay to be wrong!

If you can name me just ONE of those "thousands of metal musicians" I'll admit I'm wrong. Influencing metal doesn't make a band metal.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:35 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:

Well, Rush was considered a very heavy band back in the 70s, and it's been an influence to multiple prog metal bands, so I guess it kinda makes sense that they're on MA, even if they aren't metal in the slightest.

This is really the only reasonable argument to made. I guess the question then is, where's the cut-off point for bands that influenced metal, without being metal themselves, being included on the archives. Surely there is one, as evidenced by the lack of punk/hardcore artists listed. This is debatable of course, but there's a good argument to be made that punk influenced just as much, if not more, metal bands than Rush did.

Does an artist have to specifically be a hard rock/prog rock band (that had a big influence on metal) in order to be listed on the archives? It certainly would appear that way.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:40 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
If you can name me just ONE of those "thousands of metal musicians" I'll admit I'm wrong. Influencing metal doesn't make a band metal.

I just happen to he having that very conversation with Vladimir Garčević, the guitarist and founder of the great Serbian epic metal band Claymorean. He agrees, Rush is metal as fuck!

Back on point....the Finnish thrash band Lost Society's last album was mallcore!

Like your reviews?

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:02 pm 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Anathema yet. They haven't been metal since the mid-90s. Within Temptation almost as long. Ayreon really only has one fully metal album, but Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer isn't even slightly metal, just ambient prog rock. Lots of other side projects, like Karl Sanders' solo works, which are basically Arabic folk. Nightingale might be here as a Swano side project, and while later albums are borderline prog metal, the first album is basically just straight up gothic rock. Nemesea's later albums are electronic and/or symphonic rock mostly. Black Label Society's Hangover Music: Volume VI has virtually no metal on it, it's mostly acoustic. Green Carnation's The Acoustic Verses is exactly what it says on the tin. While jazz/fusion has always been a significant part of their style, Planet X's Quantum after Tony MacAlpine left is noticeably less metallic and mostly a heavy version of that.

Slater922 wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:

By this logic bands like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, King Crimson and others should also be here, some of them are probably even more influential than Rush.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:24 pm 

Due to the fact the archives are band based and not album based, there's an inherent problem when bands become non metal during the course of time and each band's career, the longer it is, the more prone it is to releasing non metal stuff. What can you do?
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:41 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:

They were indeed considered a metal band in the early 80s, when I was first discovering the genre. There wasn't even a question about it until "Power Windows", which was released after thrash had gained prominence (and effectively shifted the "heaviness meter" up a notch or ten).
Many bands we'd consider hard rock today were absolutely classified as metal in the late 70s / early 80s (Nugent, AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Rush, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, etc.)

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:08 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Anathema yet. They haven't been metal since the mid-90s. Within Temptation almost as long. Ayreon really only has one fully metal album, but Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer isn't even slightly metal, just ambient prog rock. Lots of other side projects, like Karl Sanders' solo works, which are basically Arabic folk. Nightingale might be here as a Swano side project, and while later albums are borderline prog metal, the first album is basically just straight up gothic rock. Nemesea's later albums are electronic and/or symphonic rock mostly. Black Label Society's Hangover Music: Volume VI has virtually no metal on it, it's mostly acoustic. Green Carnation's The Acoustic Verses is exactly what it says on the tin. While jazz/fusion has always been a significant part of their style, Planet X's Quantum after Tony MacAlpine left is noticeably less metallic and mostly a heavy version of that.

Slater922 wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:

By this logic bands like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, King Crimson and others should also be here, some of them are probably even more influential than Rush.

I always kind of thought that if a band had more than 1 metal album and then goes on to make non-metal albums that those albums can still be on the archives with the note that they are of a different style and that they changed their style later?

Are there any examples of bands on here with 2 or more metal albums where their later non-metal albums have simply been excluded from their page? Because if so, I haven't seen any.

As far as Rush is concerned, I only recently got into them and I do like them as a band, and they are a legendary hard prog rock band, but me personally, I would not quite consider them to be metal, and the one poster made a good point about a band influencing metal not making it metal.

I mean, that argument is one we pretty much all must agree with considering that The Beatles influenced Black Sabbath and that's enough said right there. It does sort of seem an interesting double standard that hard prog rock bands who influenced metal are much more likely to be included here than heavy punk bands who influenced metal. Although to some extent there are also a number of heavy punk bands included on here like: Amebix, The Exploited, Discharge, etc, there are countless examples of punk bands that could be included that aren't, as well as so many hard rock/acid rock/prog rock bands that have been a massive influence to metal that are not included as mentioned like Cream, Zeppelin, Floyd, The Doors, Hendrix, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, etc. I mean there's never going to be a perfect consensus. The mods are, after all, just metal heads themselves, so when they get together to make these decisions so much of it will still be subjective.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:25 pm 

hank williams III is a pretty blatant example, being on the archives 'cause he made one doom metal album, while the rest of his stuff is obviously mostly country

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:37 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:

I like how the hardcore thing was/is done on the site because while there's lots of really heavy hardcore punk music, most of it has nothing to do with metal and a line has to be drawn somewhere as far as the "Metal Archives" goes. Integrity is on the site, for example, and while rooted in hardcore punk, they were always groovier and riffier and among the first examples of metalcore. There ought to be some qualification beyond just being metal-adjacent.

I agree with you on everything you said. Integrity is actually a hardcore band, but they do borrow so much from metal... but that's why I bring up Earth Crisis too, they borrow a lot from thrash - and, to me, they qualify as way more metal (influenced) than Wardruna.

I'm not saying we should also do all the hardcore bands here -- I'm just making the point that we have all of this folk, ambient, etc. on the site but it's not metal. There's a ton of hardcore and industrial bands that are "more metal" than some of the stuff on the Archives.

But again, bands like Wardruna... all their fans are metalheads... so it's a fine line. But what is the line? If you're a metalhead and you also like Suicide Silence, you'd be confused as to why that band isn't on the Archives but The Electric Hellfire Club, Volbeat, etc. are....

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:54 pm 

Sounds like you're asking for metal bands that released non-metal albums just for the hell of it? Morgoth did exactly this, and they even knew what they were doing and what was going to be the reaction since they even apologized in the very title of the album itself:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... natic/2108

If you're looking for bands that started off as metal and then turned into something completely different then there's a function in MA that lets you look it up yourself.
ie. https://www.metal-archives.com/search/a ... ame=#bands

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 pm 

Quick question, why did Morgoth break-up again after 'Ungod'??? It was such a good album and I'm just not understanding why they'd come back together, make that, and then leave again. Maybe just money stuff?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:16 pm 

obligatory Paradise Lost mention, My Dying Bride's Evinta and Quorthon's solo albums...

latter day Alcest, Anathema.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:25 pm 

The bulk of Pyogenesis' catalog too.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:27 pm 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Underoath yet. Maybe that's because most of you might not have realised they're on here yet :-P :-P :-P , I don't know if it's common knowledge but forgive me if you all already know they're on the archives. And before you ask, yes, this is the same Underoath that made all of those rather influential Christian post-hardcore albums back in the 2000's- but don't go yell at the mods to get their page removed because they're only on here because of the two metalcore albums they released before their post-hardcore works, which took a very high degree of musical influence from death and black metal, respectively.

As for other bands like this with non-metal releases, well countless black metal bands have put out full-on ambient albums or EPs- in fact, these types of releases are more common than you might think. Burzum, Jute Gyte (who has released harsh noise and other forms of synth-based/electronic music besides ambient), Reverorum Ib Malacht (on Irma Malacht, Likpredikan), Akhlys (on Supplication), Thaw (on St. Phenome Alley), Five the Hierophant (on their Magnetic Sleep Tapes series), Nagaarum, Surachai, Moloch (Abstrakter Wald), as well as numerous other black metal bands have released ambient albums or EPs- in fact, Akhlys started out as an ambient project before switching to black metal. The experimental death metal band Chaos Echœs has also released an ambient EP (The Unfathomable EP), as well as the sludge metal band Corrupted (Felific Algorithm, which is industrial ambient noise).

In regards to other genres:
Spoiler: show
    -Ehnahre released an EP last year called Quatrain. Only one of the tracks (the first one) is even vaguely metal, the rest could all be described as various other forms of avant-garde music.
    -The Austrasian Goat released an album of straight neofolk with Paved Intentions.
    -Plebeian Grandstand plays blackened mathcore on their first full-length album How Hate Is Hard To Define as well as their debut EP The Vulture's Riot and splits before their second full-length album Lowgazers- which didn't by any means disregard their mathcore influences but definitely let black metal take the most prominent place in the band's sound.
    -Despite djent being rejected from this site, Meshuggah is still included for their early groove/thrash metal works.
    -Dirge released Alma | Baltica in 2017- I have no idea what genre this is, but it isn't metal.
    -Kayo Dot has released numerous non-metallic avant-garde records at this point.
    -Gnaw Their Tongues has multiple experimental noise releases.
    -The majority of Crowhurst's discography is comprised of noise.
    -Extol's The Blueprint Drives is blatant alt-rock.
    -The bandpage for Liquid Death features two Greatest Hates releases, the first EP is death metal while the second full length is punk.
    -Hagbulbia by Portal is guitarnoise.
    -The first Nexus 6 album was ambient/neoclassical, the second was technical black metal, the third was progressive metal/rock.
    -Sol has released multiple dark ambient and neofolk albums, often blending them with the project's death doom roots as well.
    -Belgian funeral doom band Slow used to be an ambient project.
    -Embodyment released multiple death metal demos, their debut full length was deathcore, and they proceeded to release multiple alt rock albums afterward until they disbanded.
    -Most of the Czech band Olympic's discography consists of pop rock- they were only accepted based on their 1988 album Když ti svítí zelená

This doesn't even take into consideration metal adjacent material that the general public might consider metal but we don't, such as late Stryper, The Ember, The Ash's Fixation, mid Suffer H, late Suffokate, early Infant Annihilator, late Veil of Maya- even early Soulfly, late Sepultura, and nu-metal era Machine Head. It also doesn't mention the projects whose entire discographies are non metal- Neptune Towers, Bomberos, Venomous Concept, Equimanthorn, as well as others.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Last edited by camjr01 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 pm 

It's most definitely strange that these guys started out as a doom/death band...

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:48 pm 

The obvious one is Def Leppard. They have been a pop/rock band for about 40 years now. They are still on the site because of a couple of early albums that are considered NWOBHM.

I remember I heard a song off the album 'X' album that could have easily been on a Backstreet Boys album. It's called something like 'Long long way to go'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9tt8d132BM

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:04 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Are there any examples of bands on here with 2 or more metal albums where their later non-metal albums have simply been excluded from their page? Because if so, I haven't seen any.

I'm pretty sure it's a blanket pass/reject decision. If one album is metal, all their material is eligible for archival. The amount of work to sift through every single band's discography and remove all the most questionable albums would be gargantuan. And if you thought the fights over which bands to include were a big deal, it would be child's play compared to what would ensue.

camjr01 wrote:
This doesn't even take into consideration metal adjacent material that the general public might consider metal but we don't, such as late Stryper

Do we though? Maybe the note just hasn't been updated in years. I've heard numerous times here and elsewhere that their later material is more metal than what they used to be known for. Someone recently mentioned that they're closer to Priest than to Poison, and while I'm not intimately familiar with their recent work, from what I've heard I don't know if I'd disagree.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:34 pm 

It always bugs me that Of the Wand and the Moon were removed specifically, yet Nest still remains. I just wish for a little consistency.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:41 pm 

I don't know about such radical changes. More common is the slow progression away from metal like In Flames and Dark Tranquillity.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:15 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
It's most definitely strange that these guys started out as a doom/death band...

For fucking real.

That demo would go down real well today, with the OSDM revival and whatnot. Get them on a gig with Tomb Mold and you've got a killer bill!

More (they did start to get progressively more melodic and gothic from what I can see):

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 pm 

camjr01 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Underoath yet. Maybe that's because most of you might not have realised they're on here yet :-P :-P :-P , I don't know if it's common knowledge but forgive me if you all already know they're on the archives. And before you ask, yes, this is the same Underoath that made all of those rather influential Christian post-hardcore albums back in the 2000's- but don't go yell at the mods to get their page removed because they're only on here because of the two metalcore albums they released before their post-hardcore works, which took a very high degree of musical influence from death and black metal, respectively.

I was admittedly curious after reading this, so I searched up and am listening to Cries Of The Past - holy fuck, this is god damn great!

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
By this logic bands like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, King Crimson and others should also be here
Yes, they should.

:-D

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:00 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I was admittedly curious after reading this, so I searched up and am listening to Cries Of The Past - holy fuck, this is god damn great!

I was also incredibly surprised to find out that Underoath was once a metal band. I have a sort of soft spot for that kind of screamo (I listened to it daily when I was 13/14), and it was a gateway to metal for me, but I never imagined that the band that released They're Only Chasing Safety, the stereotypical screamo album, was a metal band.

Their music's quality still wavered, though. All the lyrics on Act of Depression are some of the worst, most obnoxiously self-righteous, shoved in your face Christian lyrics I have ever read.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:44 am 

Devin Townsend. Most of his albums are metal, but there are also his ambient works like Devlab, and Hummer. There's also Ghost, which is about as far away from metal as you can get.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next