Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:12 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Black Label Society's Hangover Music: Volume VI has virtually no metal on it, it's mostly acoustic.

Both of Zakk's solo albums are in a similar vein. Both great albums (particularly the first one), but not metal. Definitely one of those 'solo project of interest' type deals.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 am 

Devil Doll is absolutely not a heavy metal band and I believe they kind of get allowed to be here on the merit of being absolutely fucking amazing.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 am 

I find it interesting no one has mentioned Martial Industrial bands like Arditi and Puissance. Also darkwave like Dark Sanctuary and Dargaard.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:31 pm 

Die Krupps has many completely non-metal releases.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:48 pm 

Underoath is actually awesome... I think a lot of us rule them out because of them being christcore. But their music is really cool! And I've seen them live on festivals and they are monsters on stage. Really good stuff. Total respect.

Unity wrote:
I find it interesting no one has mentioned Martial Industrial bands like Arditi and Puissance. Also darkwave like Dark Sanctuary and Dargaard.

When you bring up darkwave, as much as I like Mortiis, he's not metal.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 pm 

Floodland wrote:
Due to the fact the archives are band based and not album based, there's an inherent problem when bands become non metal during the course of time and each band's career, the longer it is, the more prone it is to releasing non metal stuff. What can you do?

I disagree that it's a problem. The site intends to document bands that made at least one metal album, so it's succeeding at that and it's good to be able to look those bands up and see their whole discography. However, I noticed it's not always clear which albums actually got a band accepted, so might be worth a suggestion.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:24 am 

Lucifer's Friend comes to mind.

They're one the archive basically for two albums, one from 1970 that's Sabbath/Zeppelin-flavored first-wave metal (I would genuinely consider it heavy metal, not proto-metal), and one from 1981 that was Rainbow-flavored NWOBHM.
Literally 95% of their other material before and after is prog/AOR/70s pop rock. In most cases, not even REMOTELY metal no matter how much you stretch it. In some cases, heavy for what it is, but not metal.

Goes from this

To this

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Are there any examples of bands on here with 2 or more metal albums where their later non-metal albums have simply been excluded from their page? Because if so, I haven't seen any

Sloth

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:12 am 

Firmament1 wrote:
Devin Townsend. Most of his albums are metal, but there are also his ambient works like Devlab, and Hummer. There's also Ghost, which is about as far away from metal as you can get.

Ki is another of his that focuses on the lighter aspects of his sound.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:01 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Are there any examples of bands on here with 2 or more metal albums where their later non-metal albums have simply been excluded from their page? Because if so, I haven't seen any

Sloth

Wait how did I forget about Sloth? Not too long ago they had the most releases on the entirely of the archives purely due to their daily stream of useless "harsh noise music" singles. This thread's topic might as well have been made for them, given how tailored it is to their situation, yet they still didn't get brought up until the second page, not even in my rather comprehensive list.

Probably because their +2,000 singles of pure tv static are so inconsequential and useless that no one cares to (or even wants to) remember them.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

SD Plissken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:52 pm 

Beherit.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:55 pm 

As long as the owners keep Europe out I think they don’t really care.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 am 

Yuli Ban wrote:
Lucifer's Friend comes to mind.

They're one the archive basically for two albums, one from 1970 that's Sabbath/Zeppelin-flavored first-wave metal (I would genuinely consider it heavy metal, not proto-metal), and one from 1981 that was Rainbow-flavored NWOBHM.
Literally 95% of their other material before and after is prog/AOR/70s pop rock. In most cases, not even REMOTELY metal no matter how much you stretch it. In some cases, heavy for what it is, but not metal.

Goes from this

To this

From early metal to pomp rock! :eek:

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:17 am 

aloof wrote:
obligatory Paradise Lost mention, My Dying Bride's Evinta and Quorthon's solo albums...

latter day Alcest, Anathema.

Oh yeah as someone who has just recently got into Paradise Lost, albums like Host are most certainly not metal. It's crazy to me that they can go from a death/doom masterpiece like Gothic to Host in under a decade! Doesn't even sound like the same band. Their discography kind of goes in a cycle because now they're back basically playing death/doom again. No complaints from me.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:57 pm 

I love Faith No More but outside of The Real Thing and a few moments on Angel Dust if you really stretch they aren't metal.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:02 pm 

VaderCrush wrote:
I love Faith No More but outside of The Real Thing and a few moments on Angel Dust if you really stretch they aren't metal.

While I'm not so sure they are metal either and they are one of my all time favorite bands, King For a Day Fool For a Lifetime also has some very heavy tracks that I think could possibly qualify as some sort of alternative rock-based metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2