Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:44 am 

it took a full decaded, but the Romanian band Dordeduh(with Negura Bunget's former members) has released its second album 'Har'. Unlike its debut I think this second effort is a total masterpiece, for some reason I had difficulties to fell in love with the debut but this album has all the expected and innovative ingredients and its definitevly a great successor of Negura Bunget's masterpiece 'Om'. What do you think guys?

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 am 

Wow, thanks for the heads up PB. This is an essential purchase for me. I already loved the first one and if you say this is even closer to the level of 'Om', well... exciting!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:33 am 

quickbeam wrote:
Wow, thanks for the heads up PB. This is an essential purchase for me. I already loved the first one and if you say this is even closer to the level of 'Om', well... exciting!

You are welcome mate. I instantly loved this album when I began to listen to it. Absolutely brilliant with awesome melodies and ambience. I hope you will enjoy it. :)

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:23 am 

This album is definitely a masterpiece and is my current AOTY along with Iotuun's new release. But yeah, I agree that this one is a lot better than the debut, which seemed kind of scattered and like the band wasn't sure of its sound. The fourth track on Har is masterful, btw.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:53 am 

That band name alone never fails to prevent me from checking them out....as dorky as anything lifted from Tolkien.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:09 am 

Not really feeling it. They lost most of the black metal and I'm not really interested in this new prog rock sound. Sounds like Enslaved to me but much more mellow and less metal. Which is a shame because I absolutely loved OM and their previous album.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:42 am 

Was hoping a thread would pop-up for this. Last couple years have been busy for me so I haven't been able to jump into as many albums as I used to, but this is the first album in awhile that I have just been completely taken by.

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
This album is definitely a masterpiece and is my current AOTY along with Iotuun's new release. But yeah, I agree that this one is a lot better than the debut, which seemed kind of scattered and like the band wasn't sure of its sound. The fourth track on Har is masterful, btw.

I don't want to sound hyperbolic but I honestly do not think 'masterpiece' is too strong of a descriptor for this album. It is a masterpiece. I'm floored by it. Their debut is a fantastic album but the songwriting on 'Har' is just so much tighter. Tracks are individually distinctive and the ambient sections are not as bloated or momentum killing. I've read here and there that the stylistic shift on this album is jarring for some, as there is barely any black metal and they've shifted entirely to a more progressive approach. I see it as a pretty logical progression for this group going all the way back to Negura Bunget. Their album under the "Sunset in the 12th House" moniker actually bridges the 9 year gap pretty well and in hindsight, provided some hints for what their approach to the next Dordeduh album would be (check that Sunset album out if you haven't, it's fucking awesome too). Every track on 'Har' is immediately recognizable as Dordeduh to me, so I think the supposed change in sound is fairly exaggerated.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:32 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
That band name alone never fails to prevent me from checking them out....as dorky as anything lifted from Tolkien.

It's three Romanian words put together. "dor de duh" means "longing of spirit" in Romanian.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:10 pm 

oh cool. I was always curious what it meant.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:49 pm 

Yeah I’m also strongly in the “album of the year” camp for this one. Kinda wish this was the route Enslaved had gone on their last one.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:12 am 

I remember the debut album getting a lot of good press but it never quite resonated with me. I love the follow up though. It's really great.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

The0ne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:30 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
it took a full decaded, but the Romanian band Dordeduh (with Negura Bunget's former members) has released its second album 'Har'. Unlike its debut I think this second effort is a total masterpiece, for some reason I had difficulties to fell in love with the debut but this album has all the expected and innovative ingredients and its definitevly a great successor of Negura Bunget's masterpiece 'Om'. What do you think guys?

I would not call it successor of Om (totally different style) but it surely is an AotY strong contender. It's amazing.

Reply to topic