Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:06 am 

Helvede wrote:
Rarely mentioned:

Mythological Cold Towers - Sphere of Nebaddon: The Dawn of a Dying Tyffereth

Brazilian doom/death from 1996. A mix of early peaceville 3 and almost just as good.
Too bad their other albums are more all over the place genre-wise.

Pentacrostic – The Pain Tears - is another one from Brazil. We're in the area of Winter and the old Dutch scene.

I like these two but I wouldn't call them any classics. The Mythological Cold Towers debut is certainly interesting and I'd almost argue that combines plenty of elements that were ''in'' during the 90's - sort of resulting into something that goes beyond the Peacevile 3 sounds. I certainly enjoyed writing a review for that one. Pentacrostic's debut is also cool, but I've always considered it more of a midpaced death metal album than a doom/death metal album...although I'll admit that I haven't heard it in a while.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:32 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I really want to like that Disembowelment album everyone loves but I can't get over those ultraloud plastic drums. They really kill the atmosphere imho.

Takes some getting used to. The vocals are really good and the riffs really inventive but the drumming takes away the mysterious vibe. It's a thrash type of tone to the drums almost.

Yeah, that drum production doesn't suit the album at all. Drums are pretty sloppy and the fake 2000s death metal production ruin the album for me. Which is a shame because the guitars and vocals are incredible but as a whole the album sounds really amateurish, the fast parts are an incoherent mess.

I love all the material they recorded as Inverloch though. Wish there was more stuff like that.

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 pm 

I own the Disembowelment album for many years, however I still haven't figured out why this very album is so fucking revered. No idea.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:36 pm 

It was one of the first albums to play with such extreme tempo changes within death metal. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's a landmark. A ton of stuff that's super popular today (Worm, Spectral Voice, Mortiferum, etc.) pretty much wouldn't exist without it.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 am 

I really have to add my voice to the heap of praise for the new Worm album Foreverglade. Floridian Death/Doom of this caliber needs to be a thing asap. I'm still giving it more listens, but my god what a ride! So many styles at play here - it's mostly deathy and doomy with the atmosphere sometimes heading into the classic funereal stance of the more somber Doom/Death acts. But there's also bits of a black metal influence. This has shot up the list of my yet unwritten top 10 metal albums of 2021.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:27 pm 

Is it weird I find Death-Doom a lot more enjoyable than normal death metal?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2