Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:58 pm 

For example, renaming "Kill 'Em All" to "Metal Up Your Ass", as that was supposed to be the album's original title. What other metal albums do you think should have been titled differently?

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:33 pm 

I always thought "Snowblind" was a better title than "Vol. 4" for the fourth Black Sabbath album, but the record label wouldn't allow it.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:07 pm 

A lot of records had stronger songs then their titles but then you also have to take in the cover artwork as well.

Easily, Black Sabbath's Paranoid should have been titled War Pigs. I don't know why they decided to use that title from a quick, last minute riff and song Iommi wrote to fill out the album.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:05 pm 

I prefer vol.4 and Paranoid, even if thats my least favourite song on that album. I'd create better artwork for sabbath's 2nd, 3rd and 4th album, maybe.

I always call judas priest's "meh" phase Junkulator and Dumbolition though.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:45 pm 

Supercollider sounds more like a scifi album, like some sort of prog metal album name, rather than whatever we actually got. Why not rename it "Off the Edge" or "Forget to Remember"

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:59 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
For example, renaming "Kill 'Em All" to "Metal Up Your Ass", as that was supposed to be the album's original title. What other metal albums do you think should have been titled differently?

Metallica are richer than ever, and can do whatever they want. But, they did an experiment, with Lou Reed, so why not do this? They should record a more pure metal album, in whatever style, just something fun, that they enjoy playing, and then call it “metal up your ass.”

It would be funny, because they originally couldn’t call it that, because the label was scared that distributors, and record shops wouldn’t sell it. If they did it now, it’d be near the top of the charts.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:20 pm 

Thread title immediately makes me think of this:

Mithras - Forever Advancing...... Legions to Forever Advancing Legions

Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered to Heaven Shall Burn When We Are Gathered

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:42 pm 

Overkill - Relix+:(#)31 - whatever the fuck it is called.

Always triggers me.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:20 pm 

Metal Up Your Ass (and the originally pitched album cover) is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. The title and album cover of Kill 'Em All are perfect.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:08 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Metal Up Your Ass (and the originally pitched album cover) is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. The title and album cover of Kill 'Em All are perfect.

Yeah... I was going to say this basically. "Metal Up Your Ass" is a juvenile title that doesn't represent the quality of the music the album actually features.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 am 

Does this cover band names also? The Circus Maximus bears no resemblance to Manilla Road at all.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:30 am 

Iron Maiden – "Senjutsu" => "Belshazzar's Feast" (plus some other Maiden albums but no idea at the moment)
Annihilator – "Metal" => "Army of One"
Manowar – "The Lord of Steel" => "Raise your Metal of Steel and Die!"
Motörhead – "We are Motörhead" => No idea but since one of the tracks is "God Save the Queen"… why not a pun on "queen"? E.g. "Queen the Pawn" (a chess strategy). Cover: Snaggletooth shows up and chases the chess pieces from the chessboard.
Motörhead – should have an additional album with the title "Bagnio in Heaven". Cover: we're above the clouds, a hole in the clouds shows a scene from the American Civil War (cannons, smoke etc.) and a couple of empty gallows; hovering above that hole: Snaggletooth in the shape of a white, heavenly cloud with an eardrop in the shape of a banjo. :-D

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Iron Maiden – "Senjutsu" => "Belshazzar's Feast" (plus some other Maiden albums but no idea at the moment)
Annihilator – "Metal" => "Army of One"
Manowar – "The Lord of Steel" => "Raise your Metal of Steel and Die!"
Motörhead – "We are Motörhead" => No idea but since one of the tracks is "God Save the Queen"… why not a pun on "queen"? E.g. "Queen the Pawn" (a chess strategy). Cover: Snaggletooth shows up and chases the chess pieces from the chessboard.
Motörhead – should have an additional album with the title "Bagnio in Heaven". Cover: we're above the clouds, a hole in the clouds shows a scene from the American Civil War (cannons, smoke etc.) and a couple of empty gallows; hovering above that hole: Snaggletooth in the shape of a white, heavenly cloud with an eardrop in the shape of a banjo. :-D

The only one of those I agree with is the Annihilator one but I don't really care that much about Annihilator.

Megadeth's Dystopia should've been called The Threat Is Real! (with the exclamation mark) because it suits them better imo.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:05 am 

Piece of Mind should have been The Trooper.

Too many recent Maiden albums have "death" in the title.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:44 pm 

collingwood77 wrote:

I'm just glad it wasn't called Food For Thought.

But yeah, some of those old punny titles like Piece of Mind and Nursery Cryme stand out sorely.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
collingwood77 wrote:

But yeah, some of those old punny titles like Piece of Mind and Nursery Cryme stand out sorely.

Hahaha. Yeah, maybe I'm wrong about Piece of Mind, the phrase has become so ingrained into the subconscious now, especially for metalheads. I find myself typing "piece of mind" in an everyday context before I have to switch it back to "peace of mind". (Yes, I know there is the saying "I will give you a piece of my mind" but it was never just the three words.)

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:02 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Megadeth's Dystopia should've been called The Threat Is Real! (with the exclamation mark) because it suits them better imo.

Or maybe Megadave's Conspiracy, to fit with his dumbass world views.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:21 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
collingwood77 wrote:

Both Piece of Mind and Food for Thought are such atypical titles for what they'd become - rather punny and not like the epic stuff they were already starting to do. Interesting sort of embryonic, transitional state for the band, really.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:37 pm 

"Metal Up Your Ass" is awful and "The Trooper", while a good name for a song, would be a boring title for an album. Glad some of you are not in charge. I don't care about later Maiden but I do hate having the albums "Dance of Death" and "A Matter of Life and Death" back to back. Looks stupid.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 pm 

Slayer- Diabolus In Musica shouldve been Violent By Design. Complete with a different cover and the original logo.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:50 pm 

collingwood77 wrote:

This is an awful take. Piece of Mind has the whole brain motif, and Food for Thought would honestly be an even better better title because the promo photoshoots the band took for the album had them at a dinner table surrounded by food and the brain in the middle on a dish.

This thread has the potential of spiraling into cringe real fast

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:44 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Food for Thought would honestly be an even better better title because the promo photoshoots the band took for the album had them at a dinner table surrounded by food and the brain in the middle on a dish.

That pic is also on the gatefold sleeve but I don't understand why "Food for Thought" would be a better title. Given the pic the title would be "Thought for Food". Or "Here's Thinking of You, Hairy Man". Or "Gathered for the Memories". ( :sigh: :ugh: )

collingwood77 wrote:

Definitely, and I think "A Matter of Life and Death" is the main culprit. It's so unimaginative. They probably chose a vague umbrella phrase because they had to reconcile things like war, religion, gravestones, pilgrims and legacies. I've no idea for a title either but… wait… what about "Pilgrims"? Or "Legacies"?

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 am 

I always thought any of the song titles for the black album by Metallica, would of been better than just self titled. "Of Wolf and Man," "The Unforgiven." To me it sounds way more metal, as The Unforgiven album by Metallica.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:16 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I always thought any of the song titles for the black album by Metallica, would of been better than just self titled. "Of Wolf and Man," "The Unforgiven." To me it sounds way more metal, as The Unforgiven album by Metallica.

it's intentionally in contrast to the beatles' self-titled, which is colloquially known as the white album 'cause of the cover

and it's "would have"

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:22 am 

joppek wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:

it's intentionally in contrast to the beatles' self-titled, which is colloquially known as the white album 'cause of the cover

and it's "would have"
Thank you for the grammar lesson.

Also the thread is "What albums would you rename if given the chance? Which if given the chance, I would rename the Black album to "The Unforgiven by Metallica."

Again, thank you for the grammar lesson.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:17 am 

Iron Maiden's "A Matter of Life and Death" is an intersting one, since the band were throwing some potential titles back and forth before settling on AMOLAD (according to this interview https://www.ironmaiden.com/news/article/imoc-competition-winner-interviews-nicko--janick, they wouldn't go for "The Legacy" as a title as it hinted at it being their last one, which is a bit silly since they went with "The Final Frontier" on the next one :lol: Would very much prefer "The Legacy" as the title instead of AMOLAD...).

"Piece of Mind" is also a title I would change to perhaps "Still Life", but as someone stated, the title and the way it is spelled has just been ingrained into our minds, so I don't really mind it that much. Would love to change the titles of "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI" though. "The Aftermath" maybe? "The Unbeliever"? Could picture both working with the cover artwork. "Futureal" is the obvious one for VXI.

Helloween got some weird ones as well. "Better than Raw" and "Rabbit Don't come Easy" and maybe even "7 Sinners" and "My God-Given Right"? Looking at the tracklists though, can't say that anything pops out to me, both in regards to what would be a fitting title track and what would fit the cover art.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:04 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Thread title immediately makes me think of this:

Mithras - Forever Advancing...... Legions to Forever Advancing Legions

Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered to Heaven Shall Burn When We Are Gathered

Yes to the first, but I like the pause in Marduk's, it's used appropriately. I feel it adds emphasis: it won't burn at any time, it burns when we are gathered.

The Mithras one, however, there is no reason for the separation/pause.

I'm just thinking I'd rename a lot of albums; I prefer albums that have a name that is not just one song on the album, unless that song is somehow very important; it's not always the case.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:02 pm 

It would have been cool for Zeppelin to have actually named their 2nd and 3rd albums. I do, however, appreciate that the fourth album is technically untitled.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:48 pm 

This talk of Megadeth album titles and nobody mentioned Th1rt3en yet? Beyond using a title that's been done to death, at least go with a spelling that doesn't hurt my eyes to look at.

Come to think of it, Black Sabbath's 13 never made any sense either. I don't think there's a single reference to the number in the lyrics and if they were going with the "this is the REAL thirteenth Sabbath album" angle, I'm rather curious as to what the other four are beyond the first eight with Ozzy. Is it really because it came out in 2013?

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
This talk of Megadeth album titles and nobody mentioned Th1rt3en yet? Beyond using a title that's been done to death, at least go with a spelling that doesn't hurt my eyes to look at.

Come to think of it, Black Sabbath's 13 never made any sense either. I don't think there's a single reference to the number in the lyrics and if they were going with the "this is the REAL thirteenth Sabbath album" angle, I'm rather curious as to what the other four are beyond the first eight with Ozzy. Is it really because it came out in 2013?

Well Megadeth's Th1rt3en is their 13th album and Black Sabbath's 13 came out in 2013 (despite being the 19th album and 9th with Ozzy) but Six Feet Under's 13 is their 6th album and came out in 2005. So there's no reason to even call it that. At least Anvil's This Is Thirteen IS their 13th album.

Coastliner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:54 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Six Feet Under's 13 is their 6th album and came out in 2005. So there's no reason to even call it that.

Well, one of the songs has a lot to say about thirteens: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... /13/623781 It's not unusual that an album is simply named after a song. (But when I read those lyrics, I think they should have called themselves Six Feet Eaten. :aww: )

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:39 pm 

Regarding numbering albums in the title, Iron Maiden has done it a few times, albeit, subtlety.

Seventh Son was their 7th album.
The X Factor was their 10th.
Virtual 11 was their 11th.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:13 pm 

For me, Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus would be better remembered as Ill Advised Industrialanus...

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:26 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Regarding numbering albums in the title, Iron Maiden has done it a few times, albeit, subtlety.

I thought Virtual 11 was a reference to soccer being an 11-a-side sport. Wasn't that the album with the song about soccer hooliganism on it? Maybe there was a double-meaning and so you are (half) right.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:34 pm 

collingwood77 wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

I thought Virtual 11 was a reference to soccer being an 11-a-side sport. Wasn't that the album with the song about soccer hooliganism on it? Maybe there was a double-meaning and so you are (half) right.

You are correct, though I don't recall a song about hooliganism. It was a reference to a soccer side but it was also their 11th album.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:29 pm 

I remember before ReLoad came out, there were rumors that it would be titled Waiting in the Wings which was a kinda cool title.

Suicide and Redemption is a cool title even if the song was okayish. Would've been better than Death Magnetic.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:34 pm 

collingwood77 wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

Are you thinking of Weekend Warrior? That was on Fear of the Dark. The Virtual XI had a football theme though, with the band posing with Iron Maiden football uniforms in the booklet.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 pm 

soulonfire wrote:

Suicide and Redemption is a cool title even if the song was okayish. Would've been better than Death Magnetic.

Cyanide would have been a decent title for that album, the cover art is so bad, I won't even say what comes to mind. And Hardwired is equally as bad. What happened to Metallica as far as artistic cover's? Ever since the S/T, it seems they just are like, whatever.

FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:39 am 

When Opeth were getting their third album together one of the tentative titles being floated was "Everything Dies". I was a little disappointed when it came out as "My Arms, Your Hearse" (although it's still my favorite of their albums).

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:50 am 

For Pentagrams first full release from 85, I always thought Sign of the Wolf would of been an awesome album title.

Reply to topic