Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:55 am 

How Anders has kept his job over the years baffles me. His vocals were hardly anything special on their old albums, which I still love, and over time he's evolved into honest-to-goodness one of the worst singers I've ever encountered. His performance on Jester Race has a certain charm for its kind of raw, desperate delivery; Whoracle and Colony I'd probably say are his "best", but even those albums have moments that make me wince -- the spoken-word bits, namely. His growls never really had much power to them. If in some alternate universe Stanne never left, or Henke Forss stuck around a bit longer as session-vocalist, those old classic albums would just be that much better.

And to top it off, he didn't even write the lyrics on the early albums! Which I suppose we should be thankful for, because I encourage you to take a moment and compare his penmanship with Niklas Sundin's :lol:

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:15 am 

Razakel wrote:
Whoracle and Colony I'd probably say are his "best", but even those albums have moments that make me wince -- the spoken-word bits, namely.

That's one of those things that retrospectively look a lot worse once you have much more of the whole picture. At the time they were just weird little bits that probably most people didn't think much of. But now with the knowledge of how bad it gets later on, they are portent of it.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 am 

The single is not terrible, but it's not particularly spectacular. Seems like I heard this song before! I'm still curious to hear the final, full thing.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:01 pm 

Just to speculate even more since the song sounds so much like Dark Tranquillity, I wonder if this band could serve as a plan B to do some touring if DT, In Flames, or Cyrha disbanded or their shared members left their ship.

When you think about it, Halo Effect have big marketing, a big tour coming with Amon Amarth, an official website with merch available and a 12" release of their sole released song, with a remix by Ihsahn !? (https://thehaloeffect.shop/en/). Layout of the design by Niklas Sundin. This is months or years in the planning and they seem to have high goals for something that might be just a side-project.
Dark Tranquillity have had a lot of line-up changes in the last few years. I wonder if someone like Christopher Amott, who was tired of playing this kind of music when he left Arch Enemy, will continue in the band in the long term. It would not surprise me if DT have other changes at the end of this touring cycle. Same for Cyrha, I'm not sure if this band have a lot of appeal. And then In Flames, no need to add anything about them haha. These guys might have decided to change their plans during the covid period. This new band could be a sort of replacement in a couple years. Just speculation :) And I know Peter and Daniel have other occupations (restaurants, breweries...). Halo Effect could also stop after an album, obviously.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:32 pm 

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:12 pm 

The music is actually pretty good. Not the best, but still pretty good. I'm looking forward to their debut.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:04 pm 

I've heard this same song hundreds of times already. If this is the breakout single they've decided to release first then I'm not expecting much.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:37 pm 

Razakel wrote:
How Anders has kept his job over the years baffles me. His vocals were hardly anything special on their old albums, which I still love, and over time he's evolved into honest-to-goodness one of the worst singers I've ever encountered. His performance on Jester Race has a certain charm for its kind of raw, desperate delivery; Whoracle and Colony I'd probably say are his "best", but even those albums have moments that make me wince -- the spoken-word bits, namely. His growls never really had much power to them. If in some alternate universe Stanne never left, or Henke Forss stuck around a bit longer as session-vocalist, those old classic albums would just be that much better.

And to top it off, he didn't even write the lyrics on the early albums! Which I suppose we should be thankful for, because I encourage you to take a moment and compare his penmanship with Niklas Sundin's :lol:

Colony is his best vocal performance. I don't wince at anything he does on that album, but I did notice myself cringing when i started listening to Clayman. Someone once described it as "cat in a blender" vocals lol. I think it's a fitting description because his voice has a markedly higher pitch than on previous albums. It sounds awful.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:55 pm 

It's not just his higher tone of voice that made Clayman the deep end to fall off vocally, it's the awful attempts at singing. On Colony (and a couple songs on Whoracle) he actually pulled off some decent clean singing, but he went all out on Clayman and started doing this awful croaking whispering tuneless voice, as heard in the verses of Only for the Weak and Square Nothing.

But I agree. Anders was never a good vocalist and he's just embarrassing nowadays. Like the Lars Ulrich of vocals. Or you could say he is to clean singing what Max Cavalera is to guitar playing. Completely phoned in during live performances, barely even does it at all.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:30 pm 

Anders is bad, but there's no one that really sounds like him either, and there's kinda that charm. Sorta. But at times he sounds like a depressed Elmer Fudd. With that said, I can tolerate him on the older albums due to the nostalgia value - at the time I didn't give a single fuck about what the vocals were like.

But imagine Come Clarity with Stanne instead, or something. It would probably sound more Indarkflamesquillity - take Anders out of the picture, and even some recent In Flames songs sound vastly better. So many are ruined with awkwardly placed clean choruses and needless child choirs.

Shadowminds sounds a lot like Dark Tranquillity off Atoma and Moment. Even specifically, it seems similar to the song Identical to None. Which, I don't mind! But I'm hoping for some more TJR through Clayman type of riffs, maybe a sprinkling of the better parts of R2R through ASOP.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:29 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Anders is bad, but there's no one that really sounds like him either

Well...Jonathan Davis.

Goatfangs wrote:
So many are ruined with awkwardly placed clean choruses and needless child choirs.

I inexplicably like "The Truth", even with the kid's choir, it's the only song from the last three albums that caught my ear.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:50 pm 

Last edited by aloof on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:34 pm 

Hmm about this new song, I feel like there is a few lead riffs that have that strong In Flames flavor. The complete package sounds like something from A Sense Of Purpose, or Come Clarity maybe. I think it would sound heavier, and better, than those albums, if the production was more raw. Modern melodic death metal often have a really polished guitar tone and I think that's the aspect that bothers me the most. I'd be happy to hear a demo version or something.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 pm 

Ludorff wrote:
Hmm about this new song, I feel like there is a few lead riffs that have that strong In Flames flavor. The complete package sounds like something from A Sense Of Purpose, or Come Clarity maybe. I think it would sound heavier, and better, than those albums, if the production was more raw. Modern melodic death metal often have a really polished guitar tone and I think that's the aspect that bothers me the most. I'd be happy to hear a demo version or something.

Nah, ASOP and Come Clarity have way more alternative metal/modern rock influences than this song does. This would not really feel that out of place on an album like Clayman, musically speaking.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:33 pm 

If this is what In Flames would have ended up sounding like if they hadn't changed their style, I'm almost glad that they did change their style. Goddamn, that song was boring as hell.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:52 am 

Opening guitar/main melody is decent, but the verse riff sucks and makes the song weak. I think it sounds way more like DT than In Flames.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:52 am 

https://open.spotify.com/album/5iEKR8ZWRqcVXlQ5qgLWHr?si=23YSKMQZTEm6k3RqmERCXg

New song on Spotify, pretty catchy stuff!

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:50 am 

I've been super into In Flames' Colony album lately, so hearing these guys explore that sound a bit is just awesome! I'm even more hyped for this release now.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 pm 

So far it's evident they're not setting out to reinvent the wheel, so this is pretty fine for what it is. Feels straight out of Colony indeed, but with a decent singer instead.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:02 pm 

I'm not really getting Colony vibes at all. Totally different production style. The songs so far haven't really grabbed me, but I'm still reserving judgement for the full album.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:47 pm 

Yeah, this doesn't sound like Colony at all. Or even Clayman. It smacks of modern Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy, with about the same level of excitement or interest that one could possibly get from a new release from either of those bands. Formulaic arrangement, insufferably predictable melodic contours. Also, really, guys? A 1-6-7 chord progression? Oh, that definitely hasn't been done a million times before in every poppy extreme metal/metalcore derived record under the sun. The album that's gonna result from this is going to suck, but it's definitely gonna blow away whatever the current form of In Flames has released in the last 10 years. Mostly thanks to the competent vocalist.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:00 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Also, really, guys? A 1-6-7 chord progression? Oh, that definitely hasn't been done a million times before in every poppy extreme metal/metalcore derived record under the sun.

Also a ton of Maiden songs (including classic ones), so I don't think that's necessarily the problem. I just want something with more bite and memorability, and I just haven't heard it yet.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:27 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I'm not really getting Colony vibes at all. Totally different production style. The songs so far haven't really grabbed me, but I'm still reserving judgement for the full album.

Colony is one of my favorite albums ever and my top IF album by far. I don't get any Colony vibes from this stuff either.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:29 am 

I could take this a lot more seriously if the vocals were more diverse. Throw in some clean singing; Stanne is capable of it. Plus, harsh vocals sound rather out of place against this overproduced, poppy, melodic music.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:47 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Colony is one of my favorite albums ever and my top IF album by far. I don't get any Colony vibes from this stuff either.

Colony has this incredible energy about it that these songs don't quite match.

They're not bad though, don't get me wrong. I'll give the album a chance when it drops.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:20 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I could take this a lot more seriously if the vocals were more diverse. Throw in some clean singing; Stanne is capable of it. Plus, harsh vocals sound rather out of place against this overproduced, poppy, melodic music.

I'm glad they're not including cleans in this (at least so far). Stanne's Dave Gahan-esque crooning works for Dark Tranquillity's still somewhat melancholic melodeath but this music is way too upbeat for that to work here IMO. If they were writing songs like this it might work, but I doubt that that's going to be the case on this album:

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:43 am 

I actually REALLY ENJOY this song. Shadowminds was good too but this one really grabbed me
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:16 pm 

Fredrik Johansson, former Dark Tranquillity from '93 to '99, passed away.
Spoiler: show
Quote:
One of us is gone.
Fredrik Johansson passed away on January 25th after a three-year long battle with cancer.
He joined Dark Tranquillity in ’93, right after the recording of our first album “Skydancer”. He replaced me as guitarist so that I could focus on singing, and with that he raised the bar and set the course for what we could do and wanted to be. His influence and passion had an absolutely massive impact. The first song that we wrote together was something we ended up calling “Punish my Heaven”, and with that we knew that we were on a path that we up until then had only dreamed of.
Fredrik was mercilessly funny, sharp and highly intelligent, and would light up a conversation with his amazingly positive and quick witted commentary. But also, as easily, he would tear an uninformed argument or opinion apart with well articulated and thoroughly researched logic. His sense of humor and adventure would more often than not lead to epic excursions in stupidity and madness that I will forever miss.
Fredrik left the band in ’99 to focus on his family, yet he remained our biggest fan and our fiercest critic. His insights into the direction of our music was invaluable and knowing that he always listened and cared about what he had been part of creating meant the world to us.
A recent story, that speaks volumes about his personality, is when we launched the album “Moment” with a streamed concert in 2020. For weeks ahead of the release, Fredrik was on our Facebook page making sure that those who did not have access to a credit card or simply could not afford it would be able to see the show as well. By personally paying a ticket for those who weren’t able to, Fredrik made sure that no-one was left without. That’s who he was.
Having known about his cancer battle for almost three years and having dealt with the fact that this day would eventually come doesn’t make it any less real. We all still feel it. And we always will.
Living without you in this world will be radically different and not even close to as interesting and curiously fun as it has been with you in it. On behalf of the entire Dark Tranquillity family, we love you Fredrik and we will miss you forever.
We start our US tour today and by playing the songs that Fredrik wrote and helped create we aim to keep his name and musical legacy alive. He was one of us and we love him.
”It is what it is, and what will be will be” as Fredrik used to say might serve as a reminder that our time here is nothing but temporary and we should make the most of the beautiful personal connections we have and treasure the people that we have surrounded us with.
Tons of love from all of us to Fredrik's wife and three daughters.
Mikael Stanne and all of Dark Tranquillity
#fuckcancer

https://www.facebook.com/dtofficial

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:35 pm 

That statement is incredible. True appreciation until the end...

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:41 pm 

We can argue about the music, but the Gothenburg guys always seemed to be down to earth and genuinely caring, great people. R.I.P. to Fredrik Johansson, sad for the crew.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:05 pm 

Kaleva wrote:
Fredrik Johansson, former Dark Tranquillity from '93 to '99, passed away.
Spoiler: show
Quote:
One of us is gone.
Fredrik Johansson passed away on January 25th after a three-year long battle with cancer.
He joined Dark Tranquillity in ’93, right after the recording of our first album “Skydancer”. He replaced me as guitarist so that I could focus on singing, and with that he raised the bar and set the course for what we could do and wanted to be. His influence and passion had an absolutely massive impact. The first song that we wrote together was something we ended up calling “Punish my Heaven”, and with that we knew that we were on a path that we up until then had only dreamed of.
Fredrik was mercilessly funny, sharp and highly intelligent, and would light up a conversation with his amazingly positive and quick witted commentary. But also, as easily, he would tear an uninformed argument or opinion apart with well articulated and thoroughly researched logic. His sense of humor and adventure would more often than not lead to epic excursions in stupidity and madness that I will forever miss.
Fredrik left the band in ’99 to focus on his family, yet he remained our biggest fan and our fiercest critic. His insights into the direction of our music was invaluable and knowing that he always listened and cared about what he had been part of creating meant the world to us.
A recent story, that speaks volumes about his personality, is when we launched the album “Moment” with a streamed concert in 2020. For weeks ahead of the release, Fredrik was on our Facebook page making sure that those who did not have access to a credit card or simply could not afford it would be able to see the show as well. By personally paying a ticket for those who weren’t able to, Fredrik made sure that no-one was left without. That’s who he was.
Having known about his cancer battle for almost three years and having dealt with the fact that this day would eventually come doesn’t make it any less real. We all still feel it. And we always will.
Living without you in this world will be radically different and not even close to as interesting and curiously fun as it has been with you in it. On behalf of the entire Dark Tranquillity family, we love you Fredrik and we will miss you forever.
We start our US tour today and by playing the songs that Fredrik wrote and helped create we aim to keep his name and musical legacy alive. He was one of us and we love him.
”It is what it is, and what will be will be” as Fredrik used to say might serve as a reminder that our time here is nothing but temporary and we should make the most of the beautiful personal connections we have and treasure the people that we have surrounded us with.
Tons of love from all of us to Fredrik's wife and three daughters.
Mikael Stanne and all of Dark Tranquillity
#fuckcancer

https://www.facebook.com/dtofficial

Sucks to see him go. I'm gonna be blasting The Gallery for the rest of the day. :(

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:36 pm 

Christ, this fucking sucks. Many of his tracks, like the criminally underrated The Sun Fired Blanks, are among the best of DT's early catalogue. I didn't know that the guy was also such a steadfast friend and big supporter of the band. Heartbreaking.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:12 am 

They just put out another single, I'd definitely detecting some Colony vibes (with a more modern touch) here.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:14 am 

They also finally announced the details of their new album, Days of the Lost, which will be out on August 12.

Tracklisting:
1. Shadowminds (03:53)
2. Days of the Lost (03:37)
3. The Needless End (04:04)
4. Conditional (03:41)
5. In Broken Trust (04:09)
6. Gateways (04:49)
7. A Truth Worth Lying For (04:24)
8. Feel What I Believe (03:59)
9. Last of Our Kind (04:04)
10. The Most Alone (04:03)

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am 

Not bad. Definitely a Colony era IF vibe going on. I'll check it out when it comes out.

Cause of Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
They just put out another single, I'd definitely detecting some Colony vibes (with a more modern touch) here.

Easily the best of the three songs. I definitely agree with the Colony comparison, if I'm honest this was the sound I was hoping for from this project. The other two songs were okay, but if I'm honest I was reminded too much of modern Dark Tranquillity, which isn't really my favorite. This is the first song where it actually feels like "classic In Flames", but with Stanne instead of Fridén.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:49 am 

I like that song better than the other two they've released. That actually is almost like a "Embody the Invisible"/"Swim" B-side. Not quite as catchy or interesting, but more auspicious for the album. The big thing is that the production is just kind of anodyne, it doesn't have that legendary massive crushing tone that Colony and Clayman had. Vocals are certainly better than Anders ever was. Actually, if they're not attempting to recreate the 90s-IF engineering tonal palette, I'd like to hear the album with a more Amorphis-style production, that might suit it more, they're better at the modern, more polished, slicker tone than present day IF and DT are, and I could almost hear Tomi singing over this.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:31 am 

Sounds pretty good. I feel much more of a Clayman vibe than a Colony vibe, though.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:51 am 

The newest single is indeed reminiscent of Colony-Clayman era In Flames, but not as heavy I'd say, and with more emphasis on leads. It's not bad, really. I'll listen to the whole thing for sure. Now to see if there will be any lasting power to this project, or if it will temporarily catch the attention of dissapointed ex In Flames fans before they move on to something else.

To be honest I have a hard time situating melodic death metal in the metal landscape these days. It used to be huge during the 2000's but I hardly ever hear anything about the genre these days, outside of the few big names who have been around forever (aka Arch Enemy, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and a few others).

SilverSpring2018
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:00 pm 

Buried Realm and Act of Denial are two of the newer, better bands I've heard that still play melodeath in that vein.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next