Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:35 am 

"DEEP PURPLE announces new album "TURNING TO CRIME", out November 26th on earMUSIC

With strong tailwind from last year's chart leading album "Whoosh!", DEEP PURPLE surprises with new album "TURNING TO CRIME" and new single "7 And 7 Is".

The new album, released by earMUSIC, will reach the worldwide community of Deep Purple loyal fans only 15 months after Deep Purple‘s latest studio album "Whoosh!", an album saluted by prestigious chart achievements (3rd consecutive #1 in Germany, as well as well as #4 in the UK) and acclaimed by critics who praised the creative strength of a band that continues evolving with every release.

“Turning to Crime” is the first studio album by Deep Purple entirely made of songs not written by the band and previously recorded by other artists.

The "time trilogy", consisting of "NOW What?!", "inFinite" and "Whoosh!" (2013, 2017 and 2020) have sold over 1 million albums, topped the charts 11 times and achieved more than 40 Top 10 positions worldwide.
Producer and friend Bob Ezrin, who worked with Deep Purple on the previous albums forming the “trilogy", was once again an important part of the new studio work".

Two singles out, both incredibly refreshing.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:02 am 

Kaleva wrote:
The "time trilogy", consisting of "NOW What?!", "inFinite" and "Whoosh!" (2013, 2017 and 2020) have sold over 1 million albums

Shows how times have changed when a legendary band's combined sales of three albums in eight years total only a million.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Kaleva wrote:
The "time trilogy", consisting of "NOW What?!", "inFinite" and "Whoosh!" (2013, 2017 and 2020) have sold over 1 million albums

Shows how times have changed when a legendary band's combined sales of three albums in eight years total only a million.

honestly, given how few records anyone sells these days, and how Deep Purple has been pigeonholed in the mainstream as "the Smoke on the Water band" and not much else, i'm pretty impressed by them pulling this off.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:03 am 

Also, both those songs are dope as hell. Looking forward to this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am 

Not really into covers albums, but damn do these guys just never stop. Admirable.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:50 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
...Deep Purple has been pigeonholed in the mainstream as "the Smoke on the Water band" and not much else...

I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that this is only their perception in America, and that they are (or, at least, were) absolutely massive throughout much of continental Europe, and especially in Russia.

I hope it's true. DP are a truly amazing band (all eras, all line-ups, IMO) and deserve such accolades.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:48 pm 

The concept here is they're covering songs which influenced them in their formative years. Dazed and Confused is somewhat contemporary to Gillan and Glover joining the band, just before they recorded In Rock. I think it's a great they're admitting to being influenced by Zeppelin, wihch at times are considered as rivals by people who don't know better. Gillan has said a few times he liked Led Zeppelin; whereas someone like David Coverdale pretended for the longest time he'd never listened to them (while he was obviously taking not-so-obvious cues from their material).

"7 and 7 is" is truly a gem, that fans of metal and punk altogether can't but enjoy, especially given how early it was recorded in history. I just did a deep Youtube dive in all other versions; Alice Cooper's, The Ramones',The Bangles', the original.. all good, and Deep Purple's is great.

Another great version of "Oh Well" is by Black Crowes / Jimmy Page..

Some of the more rock'n'roll songs remind me of Gillan's Javelin album; the older stuff, early 60s.

I think Scorpions had a similar idea when they recorded Comeblack; half the songs are covers of songs older than Scorpions. But Deep Purple are way more creative at it.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:00 am 

It's a fun album with good performances and a Gillan who sounds like he's into it. A different league than Saxon's lacklustre "Inspirations". The only thing that's objectionable is the choice of songs: How many more covers of "7 and 7 Is", "Shapes of Things" and "White Room" do you need? And didn't they listen to pure folk, jazz or classical music in their formative years? Twelve short bluesy rock tracks with a bit of country here and there just don't make for a challenging listening experience.

I'd probably give it a 6 out of 10. Good but non-essential.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:17 am 

kalervon wrote:

Another great version of "Oh Well" is by Black Crowes / Jimmy Page..

That’s actually a Fleetwood Mac tune, from their early blues period. Great song!

Reply to topic