Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:58 pm 

Abbath, Kreator, and Midnight. 2022 is going to be sweet.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:10 pm 

YesIam wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
YesIam wrote:
We know for sure there's gonna be a new Sigh album, and I can't wait for that. Easily my most anticipated album of 2022.

Man, I wish I could still be excited for new Sigh, but even if the music is still pretty good, Mirai has been such a piece of shit to former guitarist Shinichi, in a very public manner, that it turned me off quite a bit. I'll still give it a listen, though. But I realized I have a harder time enjoying the music of people I find despicable. I still like the music, but the whole thing threw shades on my previously undying love for Sigh.

In what way? I know Mirai talked about how Shinichi didn't even bother put in an effort to tune his guitars during the recording of Graveward, and how he spent most of his time looking at J-idols etc. But has he said anything else?

This is his twitter isn't it: https://twitter.com/unipex78
I can't confirm it is his twitter, but I do believe so.

It is kinda...creepy? And I won't be surprised if the sole reason for kicking him is his interesting in these young J-idols etc. If this is his twitter of course. Take it with a grain of salt.

As for me I just received four different copies of Imaginary Sonicscape on vinyl last week, an album I already owned several different versions of on both vinyl and CD, so that pretty much says all you need to know about how much I like Sigh.

I don't read Japanese, so I really can't help with the Twitter account. There sure are a lot of pictures of random little girls and teenagers on there.

I also really enjoy Sigh's music, and Imaginary Sonicscape is one of the most amazing records there is. Love it!

When he fired Shinichi he trashtalked him a lot in the media, saying he was a sloppy guitarist or something. It's the first time I've ever heard about the j-idols thingy, so I have no idea what this is about. All I read were statements about how Shinichi didn't care to tune his guitar and that he was sloppy. To be honest, it was the phrasing of the orignal announcement and the public disrespect towards a guy who had been with the band for 20+ years that I felt was distasteful.

As for the music itself, I still like what they do, but Mikannibal's vocals are terrible and are detrimental to the music. I've never been a fan of her contribution to the band in general, but Mirai insists on placing her in the middle of the spotlight all the time, which also hinders my appreciation for their music starting with Scenes from Hell (which is a great album if you forget about Mikannibal's garbage growls) onwards.

I will most definitely listen to the newest album regardless, though. I'm just not as excited for new Sigh as I used to be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:57 am 

New Sanhedrin coming: https://thesanhedrin.bandcamp.com/album ... fanpub_fnb

One of the better new bands for sure, killer stuff.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:00 am 

Really looking forward to the debut album from Schizophrenia. If the Voices EP was any indication, it's gonna be some of the best deadly thrash metal in years.

Also excited about Strychnos FINALLY releasing their debut album after a few demos and an EP many years ago. Curious to see if they're continuing the style from Undead Unsouls Unbound, or if they're doing something different.

There's also the new Analepsy album coming out. The last one was some of the best slam I've ever heard, so I'm really hoping the new one lives up to it. I'm not holding my breath though, as it's almost an entirely new band except for the guitarist (I think).

MikeyC wrote:

The Berzerker. Apparently covid-19 has halted writing for this, but with the worst of the pandemic (hopefully) behind us, I would like to hope their return album will drop next year.

I had totally forgotten that Luke was finally resurrecting The Berzerker. Hope it drops this year, all the previous albums have been great.

And here's hoping that Visigoth finally get around to making their third album, but there's nothing hinted or confirmed that I know of.

Finally I hope my own band can finally finish our fucking debut album.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 am 

Vanum will have a new record out in the spring on Profound Lore (North America/RoW) and Eisenwald (Europe). I loved Ageless Fire so I'm eagerly awaiting this one.

GodOfMalice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:20 am 

Alestorm just announced they're in the studio recording their seventh album. Hopefully it'll be out around late spring/summer of this year. Alestorm in the summer is a perfect combination IMO.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:45 am 

GodOfMalice wrote:
Alestorm just announced they're in the studio recording their seventh album. Hopefully it'll be out around late spring/summer of this year. Alestorm in the summer is a perfect combination IMO.

I’m carefully curious. Especially their last album looked like a random meme with titles as Zombies Ate My Pirate Ship and eloquent lyrics like “Your pirate ship can eat a bag of dicks”. If it sounds more like Sunset on the Golden Age, I’m aboard.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:54 pm 

Just read that Sarpanitum is in the final writing stages of a new album. Hopefully that could mean a new full-length emerging sometime in 2022. Fingers crossed... amazing band.

GodOfMalice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:40 pm 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
GodOfMalice wrote:

I’m carefully curious. Especially their last album looked like a random meme with titles as Zombies Ate My Pirate Ship and eloquent lyrics like “Your pirate ship can eat a bag of dicks”. If it sounds more like Sunset on the Golden Age, I’m aboard.

That I understand completely. It took me a few spins for the album to grow on me, and to your point, that "bag of dicks" song is probably the worst track off that LP.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:43 pm 

Horrendous are apparently in the mixing stages of their next album.

Their bassist said in an interview that the next album would have a "triumphant" sound and would have a lot of classic heavy metal influence, and the new song they played live a few months ago sounded promising from what I could hear.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm 

New Desolate Shrine "Fires of the Dying World" due out March 25th on Dark Descent

https://www.facebook.com/DarkDescentRec ... 7371885476

Also for the black/speed metal fans I think this Sphinx - Deathstroke album has some potential to be good. They have a few songs on their Youtube page and I like what I have heard so far.

https://www.youtube.com/user/fixx3r8/videos

Last edited by I Am the Law on Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:37 pm 

ceero wrote:
So, apparently instead of a new Rotting Christ album, we are getting a Sakis Tolis solo album. Should be 'Rotting Christ middle era style'

I'm going all in for that. Sakis' writing style in recent Rotting Christ has grown increasingly stale and he's repeating himself far too often, riff-recyling galore.

Can't wait for a solo effort in an earlier style, though. The snippets I heard sounded promising.

Also I just love this guy and honor his importance to melodic black metal.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:21 pm 

Metalucifer have a new one coming out this year. Know it's going to be something I'll be jamming at full blast while getting into some debauchery.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:02 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Horrendous are apparently in the mixing stages of their next album.

Their bassist said in an interview that the next album would have a "triumphant" sound and would have a lot of classic heavy metal influence, and the new song they played live a few months ago sounded promising from what I could hear.

Oh that's sweet! I still need to actually take the time to properly listen and dig into their catalog properly, but the few times I actually did I loved what I heard. I'm looking forward to hearing this upcoming album.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:39 pm 

Craft are writing a new record right now, which I assume should see the light of day this year.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:41 am 

Origin posted pictures from the studio where they're recording a new record. It's been five years since Unparallelled Universe, I wonder what they have in store for us this time.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:58 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
ceero wrote:
So, apparently instead of a new Rotting Christ album, we are getting a Sakis Tolis solo album. Should be 'Rotting Christ middle era style'

I'm going all in for that. Sakis' writing style in recent Rotting Christ has grown increasingly stale and he's repeating himself far too often, riff-recyling galore.

Can't wait for a solo effort in an earlier style, though. The snippets I heard sounded promising.

Also I just love this guy and honor his importance to melodic black metal.

So what's generally considered mid era Rotting Christ? That run from A Dead Poem through to around Genesis or so is my favourite part of their career, so something like that would be ideal.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:18 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
So what's generally considered mid era Rotting Christ? That run from A Dead Poem through to around Genesis or so is my favourite part of their career, so something like that would be ideal.

i'd say aealo starts the modern era, but i'm not sure where i'd start the mid era... i tend to view a dead poem as kind of its own thing, as it seems quite different to their other stuff to me, so i think i'd probably define their mid era as sleep of the angels to theogonia :???:

personally i like their first four the most

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm 

joppek wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

i'd say aealo starts the modern era, but i'm not sure where i'd start the mid era... i tend to view a dead poem as kind of its own thing, as it seems quite different to their other stuff to me, so i think i'd probably define their mid era as sleep of the angels to theogonia :???:

I’d argue the modern era started with Theogonia. It’s the album they’ve been aping ever since it’s release. I remember back when it came out and it basically re-established RC in the public eye because it was a fresh, monster album. Aelo was basically Theogonia pt 2 but not as good, and so on.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
joppek wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

I’d argue the modern era started with Theogonia. It’s the album they’ve been aping ever since it’s release. I remember back when it came out and it basically re-established RC in the public eye because it was a fresh, monster album. Aelo was basically Theogonia pt 2 but not as good, and so on.

right, i mixed up theogonia and aealo in my mind - it's been a long while since i've listened to those albums

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:02 am 

Theogonia was a grand return for them (as if they had needed one, considering how unique and intense Sanctus Diavolus was) because it merged their early sound with fresh influences and modern production standards, sounding like a career summary and pure innovation at the same time.

I'd consider A Dead Poem up to Sanctus Diavolus as their mid-era, seeing that their (actice output) career is now 30+ years long.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:09 pm 

I would say everything after Non Serviam up to Genesis or Sanctus Diavolos qualifies as mid-era Rotting Christ. I didn't know Sakis had a solo album in the works. I'm curious to hear it now, if he's bringing back some of the gothic sound of those RC albums.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 pm 

What about Marduk? 'Viktoria' was 2018...

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:19 am 

I just heard a track by a Dutch band Meslamtaea which sounded excellent, if you’re a fan of Dodheimsgard or Ved Buens Ende and the like you should dig this… whoever runs the VBE Facebook gave the track praise. https://youtu.be/Qo3znXpZ9FQ

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:51 pm 

Candlemass recording new album for 2022 according to their Facebook.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:06 am 

New Celeste on the way, album Assassine(s) will be released in February. Three songs released so far, some solid riffing, almost Gojira-like (in De tes yeux bleus perlés mostly).

Spoiler: show

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:18 am 

Kaleva wrote:

I was really let down by The Door to Doom having Johan Lanqvuist not sounding at all like 1986 Johan Lanqvist despite objectively sounding really good.... I accepted the explanation that the material was written with Mats Leven in mind. Well, with all new material written with Johan in mind, I'm going to be real sad if he doesn't sound at all like 1986 Johan.

Gotta wonder if it would be easier for Johan to go to his lower register if they went back to standard E tuning.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:40 pm 

I don't think Candlemass were ever in E standard tuning. Epicus is in D standard, the Messiah stuff is in Eb standard, and now they're in C# standard. Admittedly, I haven't checked the 90s stuff too thoroughly in that respect though.

GodOfMalice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 pm 

GWAR just announced their new album ‘The New Dark Ages’ to coincide with their new graphic novel ‘In(to) the Duoverse of Absurdity’. Absolutely stoked for this, it’s been almost 5 years since their last album and I’m excited to see where the band goes. ‘Blood of Gods’ was alright but a little too detached from GWAR imo.

thebloodfeaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:54 pm 

GodOfMalice wrote:
GWAR just announced their new album ‘The New Dark Ages’ to coincide with their new graphic novel ‘In(to) the Duoverse of Absurdity’. Absolutely stoked for this, it’s been almost 5 years since their last album and I’m excited to see where the band goes. ‘Blood of Gods’ was alright but a little too detached from GWAR imo.

I didn't know that was on the horizon. I'm definitely curious. I liked Blood of Gods alright as a sort of farewell to Oderus, but it was definitely missing his presence. I'm happy for the band to go on but also thought it would be fine if it ended there. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

~Guest 1454256
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 pm 

I just checked Persuader's facebook and it looks like they're recording now. Good, that means there won't be as long of a gap between albums like the last 2. "Necromancy" was pretty good, so I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:09 am 

Looks like Acid King just wrapped up recording. Apparently the record will be out middle of this year. It seems to be a special release for Blues Funeral Recordings, including some collaboration in songwriting and recording.

I'm hoping it's not too far off from what we can expect of an Acid King release, as I've loved pretty much all of their output.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:25 am 

New Skull Fist album was just announced for April with the first single coming in February. I liked the last album, but hopefully this one is closer to the first two in sound.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:25 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
I don't think Candlemass were ever in E standard tuning. Epicus is in D standard

Man, seriously? Years ago I found some tabs for Solitude and Demon's Gate in E and when I played them they sounded right to me.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:05 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Kaleva wrote:

I was really let down by The Door to Doom having Johan Lanqvuist not sounding at all like 1986 Johan Lanqvist despite objectively sounding really good.... I accepted the explanation that the material was written with Mats Leven in mind. Well, with all new material written with Johan in mind, I'm going to be real sad if he doesn't sound at all like 1986 Johan.

Gotta wonder if it would be easier for Johan to go to his lower register if they went back to standard E tuning.

Can't tell about the tuning, Metallic Shock seems to know what he's talking about. At the end of the day Johan is 58, don't know what we can expect from his. At least in The Door to Doom he doesn't sound like him, don't know if it's the age, the tuning or the mix. I don't know how he does it live, but I wouldn't have tell that he's the same guy who sang on Epicus.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 am 

Inerth - Void (February 22)

Spoiler: show

Some sludgy, slightly industrial metal goodness! Got my eyes and ears on this one.

https://inerth.bandcamp.com/

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:03 pm 

Kaleva wrote:

Can't tell about the tuning, Metallic Shock seems to know what he's talking about. At the end of the day Johan is 58, don't know what we can expect from his. At least in The Door to Doom he doesn't sound like him, don't know if it's the age, the tuning or the mix. I don't know how he does it live, but I wouldn't have tell that he's the same guy who sang on Epicus.

I'm not exactly an expert on this, so anyone is free to correct me, but from what I am aware age negatively effects singers' abilities to hit the high notes... For the most part Johan sang mid-range on Door to Doom and more low-range on Epicus (with some banshee wails thrown in for good measure). From what I understand age shouldn't be too much of a negative factor for a singer to hit lower notes, especially when there's recent documented proof he's still a great singer in general.

CrimsonWinds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:19 pm 

For me, it's the new Saturnus album. It'll be the first thing that they've released in 10 years. I'm in that weird state of being excited - but cautious.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:01 am 

Ceremonial Castings is doing a compilation of re-recorded tracks
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... ver/998817

They're doing it with a new cleaner sound and I think an actual bass? As much as I love that distinct old Ceremonial Castings sound I'm enjoying hearing them with a new take on these old songs, they've released a couple singles so far, here's one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0R1bCmt_A

I really love it tbh. The sung vocals sound better than ever here.

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:26 am 

Just got the Bandcamp notification that Satan is releasing a new album this year. Thoroughly hyped. Their post-reunion output is AWESOME.

https://satanuk.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next