Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:12 am 

I do like select songs from all of those albums admittedly but I can’t really enjoy listening to them in full. But “Clenching the Fists…”, Beautiful Mourning, Now I Lay Thee…, are awesome tunes. Imperium is cool, as are a couple more on that one. Ten Ton Hammer and Struck a Nerve are badass.

So I’ve definitely tried with them, but yeah the only full length that is a great experience from front to back is BME.

entzauberung
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
swine_brothers wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
In Flames has always just been ineffectual weak music and some of the worst vocals I've ever heard really. I guess I'll just never get why anyone ever liked them.

Most likely, it's because they grew up with IF. I never quite got them, because I didn't grow up with them. They were a band I heard much later, and beyond maybe the first album and ep, wasn't impressed at all.

Yeah probably. Not trying to bash anybody's taste but just saying, different opinions don't have to mean "UltraBoris acolytes who are just out of their minds" or anything.

I think Clayman is a great heavy metal album where Fridéns vocals sort of fit. But IF only had that sound for that record.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:25 am 

Here's my selection :

1) Metal Church - Generation Nothing

This album gets a bad rep for having generic riffs but I beg to differ. I think from "Suiciety" onwards, the album really shines with one of my favorite songs being "Hit Keep Comin'". The real high point on this album is Ronny Munroe's vocals. He sounds ferocious as hell, brings a lot of attitude and he's the perfect middle ground between Mike Howe and The Reverend. This might be a career best performance for him so far in my opinion. I really love the Munroe era records. Nothing but feel good albums in that crop.

2) Megadeth - Super Collider

Sure, this is not a classic Megadave type thrash album by any stretch of the imagination, which is most likely what people expected at that point in time, but I find that when Dave jumps into groove territories, it works well for him. Songs like "Kingmaker", "Super Collider", "Built For War", "Off The Edge", "Beginning Of Sorrow" and especially that bonus track "A House Divided" are all really good cuts. Is it one of Megadeth's best? I wouldn't dare say that but it definitely gets a lot of undeserved hatred.

3) Pantera - Reinventing The Steel

It was brought up a couple of times earlier in this thread. This is a DAMN good album and a perfectly acceptable swansong for the band that really yanked me into the metal realm. This is probably a sacrilege for some but I would place this album way above Far Beyond Driven on the totem pole. FBD's highs are really high but its lows also get quite abysmal whereas Reinventing The Steel is consistent from the first note until the very last. That last track, "I'll Cast A Shadow", is one of my top five Pantera songs for sure. It hits really hard and that riff is pure Dime mastery and so is Vinnie's drumming. This is a band I would've given anything to see live. May both guys R.I.P.

4) Mercyful Fate - Dead Again

This one is probably stretching it considering the purpose of this thread is for albums that are hated and I don't believe this one is but I do believe it is generally disliked in the MF discography. You'll probably think I'm insane but right now it sits as my second favorite Mercyful Fate album after Don't Break The Oath. I often think about that first riff in "The Lady Who Cries" which is a crafty little creation that never fails to get stuck in my head. The solos on this album are oustanding and the overall riffs and atmosphere really bring the heat. It's more consistent than 9 in my opinion. A superb album really.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:36 am 

Wombface wrote:
Here's my selection :

This one is probably stretching it considering the purpose of this thread is for albums that are hated and I don't believe this one is but I do believe it is generally disliked in the MF discography. You'll probably think I'm insane but right now it sits as my second favorite Mercyful Fate album after Don't Break The Oath. I often think about that first riff in "The Lady Who Cries" which is a crafty little creation that never fails to get stuck in my head. The solos on this album are oustanding and the overall riffs and atmosphere really bring the heat. It's more consistent than 9 in my opinion. A superb album really.

It is a good album, but it is the production that prevents the album from being another classic. Many MF fans would also agree about the production being the main flaw of Dead Again. Even though it is still at the bottom of the Mercyful Fate discography, it is still a worthwhile album. I may have to go and listen to it again, i do remember liking the album.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 am 

Suicidal Tendencies - The Art of Rebellion

Even though it has a good ranking here on MA, many fans consider TAoR a downgrade from the previous Suicidal Tendencies albums. Yes, it is not as fast and furious like their debut, or as thrashy as "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow...", but it is a fine example of a band experimenting with different elements other than just Crossover Thrash/Hardcore Punk, and it actually working. "Nobody Hears" is one of my favorite songs from ST, "Monopoly of Sorrow", "I Wasn't Meant To Feel This / Asleep At The Wheel", "Which Way to Free?" are also really good songs. Experimental? Yes, but I rank this album high among my favorite Suicidal Tendencies albums.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:14 am 

The Art of Rebellion is excellent, in all ways. Asleep at the Wheel si one of their best songs and I would add to your list the first two songs of the album (I'm an ST fanboy). I'll go even further and say that on some days, Suicidal for Life is my favorite ST album.

Re: Jugulator, if there is one band that has influenced that album, it's most definitely Fear Factory. I LOVE Jugulator and HATE Demolition. I LOVE Ram it Down, including the cover. Just the solos alone are worth the price. If that album had Painkiller's production, half of it would be considered peak Priest! Or not. In any case, a Twin Turbos with the best of both albums would have definitely been an awesome album.

As for the topic: Gamma Ray's was one of my favorite bands when they still had Ralf Scheepers as vocalist. Most people look down on the first three, poor souls... I think they are masterpieces and showcase amazing and diverse songwriting. And if some people acknowledge the greatness of Heading for Tomorrow and Insanity and Genius, most believe Sigh no More is the band's worst. I think it's a top 5 GR album, Dreamhealer is one of my favorite songs ever, sound and musicianship is pretty much perfect and I generally think it's fucking brilliant.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:01 am 

MercyfulKing wrote:
Wombface wrote:
Here's my selection :

It is a good album, but it is the production that prevents the album from being another classic. Many MF fans would also agree about the production being the main flaw of Dead Again. Even though it is still at the bottom of the Mercyful Fate discography, it is still a worthwhile album. I may have to go and listen to it again, i do remember liking the album.

I have no earthly idea what what the problem with the production could be. The guitars are sharp, King's vocals sound great and all the instruments shine. I don't see much, if any difference between Dead Again and 9's production, for the sake of comparison.

101wildturkey101
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 pm 

I've been thinking about this one lately

Slayer: Diabolis in Musica, God Hates Us All, Christ Illusion, World Painted Blood, and Repentless.

I love them all, especially Christ Illusion. I understand why people don't view them in the same vein as the classics, because they aren't, but a great many people view the final 5 Slayer albums as essentially a waste of time entirely.

As always, there is implicit bias because Christ Illusion was my first Slayer album. I never got into thrash much and at that time I was a huge death and black metal fan but the cover art pulled me in and I loved it. Then I went back and bought every CD of theirs and I still love them all to this day. Slayer rules and I would welcome another album, as unlikely as that may be

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 pm 

If World Painted Blood is hated then that's a pick for me. Far from great by any means, but it's the best thrash album they've done since South of Heaven.

Other than that, I guess Illud Divinium Insanus but it seems like it's getting a better reputation these days compared to when it came out a decade ago. Or maybe I'm hanging around in circles that don't still hate on it. I don't know man, it's just a fun album - or at least the more industrial songs are (the death metal songs are very "meh").

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:14 pm 

Wombface wrote:
MercyfulKing wrote:
Wombface wrote:
Here's my selection :

I have no earthly idea what what the problem with the production could be. The guitars are sharp, King's vocals sound great and all the instruments shine. I don't see much, if any difference between Dead Again and 9's production, for the sake of comparison.

The production is stellar. That's not the problem. The problem is the "self parody" of King and the band during this era. The title track is laughably bad. But look past that song and there's a solid album buried underneath the cheese.
KD/MF during the mid-late 90s was a bitter pill to swallow. Still, no record with KD is a truly bad record.

101wildturkey101
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:26 am 

Demon Fang wrote:
If World Painted Blood is hated then that's a pick for me. Far from great by any means, but it's the best thrash album they've done since South of Heaven.

Depends. In internet circles, every album post Divine Intervention is typically despised as a whole, with exceptions.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:43 pm 

Divine Intervention isn't included in that despised block? The grunge-isms of the popular rock music of that time are very palpable on Divine Intervention.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:46 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
The production is stellar. That's not the problem. The problem is the "self parody" of King and the band during this era. The title track is laughably bad. But look past that song and there's a solid album buried underneath the cheese.
KD/MF during the mid-late 90s was a bitter pill to swallow. Still, no record with KD is a truly bad record.

Yeah, I can picture that. That title track is indeed a bit cheesy so I understand why it would've been frowned upon back then. For me personally, I think it's a super creative song and I love all the different parts, no matter how disjointed the whole of it might sound.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:00 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Update: what the fuck did I just listen to

:lol:

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am 

Mayhem: Grand declaration of war, Ordo ad chao
What a great job of blasphemer !!

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:45 pm 

Saint Vitus's "Children of Doom". It's a fun record and I really dig it. It's not Reagers or anything obviously but it has some sick riffs and a cool atmosphere.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Update: what the fuck did I just listen to

Yeah I think that's everyone's reaction on their first Lulu listen.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:11 pm 

jose_G wrote:
Mayhem: Grand declaration of war, Ordo ad chao
What a great job of blasphemer !!

Not a great fan of Grand declaration of war but I ended up loving both Ordo ad chao and Esoteric Warfare.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:30 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Divine Intervention isn't included in that despised block? The grunge-isms of the popular rock music of that time are very palpable on Divine Intervention.

Feel free to give examples of the grunge-isms? Its been a while since I bothered listening to DI but I don't recall any grunge on there.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:17 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Slayer - Christ Illusion

I was never a huge fan of this album, but I've been playing the hell out of it recently. It's light-years better than I recall....Definitely rekindling my interest in modern Slayer.

I have an up-and-down relationship with this album. I loved it when it first came out, but dusted it off a while ago and didn't like it at all apart from one or two tracks.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:27 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
The Art of Rebellion is excellent, in all ways. Asleep at the Wheel si one of their best songs and I would add to your list the first two songs of the album (I'm an ST fanboy). I'll go even further and say that on some days, Suicidal for Life is my favorite ST album.

Re: Jugulator

Totally agree about ST, I also think that track is one of their all-time best, the first time I heard it it really caught me off-guard with those transitions. A very good song to blast while driving as the sun is coming up.

And re: Jugulator, that was my first Priest album as it came out when I was just getting into metal, and I loved it at first listen. Revisited it a while ago now that I am much more familiar with the band and I still think it's very good. Different, obviously, but very good.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:41 am 

I unironically kinda love Graveyard Classics 2 by SFU. It's a terrible cover album definitely but there's something horribly charming in how bad it is.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:50 pm 

GratefulDeadInside wrote:
I unironically kinda love Graveyard Classics 2 by SFU. It's a terrible cover album definitely but there's something horribly charming in how bad it is.

No, it's just bad. Listening to Barnes wheeze out "Giving the Dog A Bone" is entertaining for a few seconds for the sheer novelty, and then it stops being novelty and just becomes awful.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:20 pm 

I also wrote this in the 'controversial' metal opinions thread,but I really enjoy Endorama from Kreator. I find it a catchy and memorable gothic rock/metal album.

I don't mind Slayer's Diablous In Musica. I enjoy listening to that album.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:53 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone admit to liking the 3rd Sabbat (UK) album. Would anyone care to own up to enjoying that one? Ignored by the band, the reissue campaigns, dismissed by those who wrote it, and seemingly the band gave up during the tour for the album. Seems like an absolute disaster and without the comedy appeal of some other albums of its ilk.

Edit: A couple of positive reviews on the site itself, but they seem at odds with everything else I've read about the album.

I don't hate the album. I particularly like "The Demise of History".

It's basically a Sabbat album in name only, though. I have a feeling if it was by a new band, the album wouldn't be so ridiculed.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:20 am 

I'll add to mine:

Mayhem - Grand Declaration Of War. I've always loved this. It's just so cold and sinister sounding. The ending of View from Nihil "and I.... i have made.... WAR" with the explosion I always thought was cool as fuck. Great album.

Slayer - Diabolus In Musica. I get the hate, but Bitter Peace is hands down my favourite Slayer song. It's everything the band can be. The rest is an odd thrash / groove mix but for some reason I can't help but like it.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:37 am 

I know that I have at times unusual preferences but that's the way it has always been and I'm simply being myself without trying to be controversial or contrarian.

I genuinely admire Iron Maiden's The X Factor as its gloomy atmosphere has always struck a chord with me.

I also love Judas Priest's Jugulator, once again because of its sinister atmosphere, unexpected approach and explosive aggressivity.

I think Annihilator's Feast is the band's best record because it finds the perfect balance between raw thrash metal anthems, a cool collaboration, one astonishing ballad and a few more adventurous epics.

Another favourite of mine is Metallica's St. Anger because of its liberating energy in combination with its raw production. It didn't click with me immediately but once it did, it became one of my favourite Metallica records along with Ride the Lightning as well as ...And Justice for All.

Septicflesh's Revolution DNA is my favourite output of theirs as the combination of gothic metal soundscapes with science-fiction vibes is quite unique and combines two things that I enjoy a great deal.

Lots of peope despise contemporary In Flames and I haven't been a fan of the band's last two studio outputs either but I sincerely appreciated A Sense of Purpose, Sounds of a Playground Fading and Siren Charms because they offer a highly entertaining mixture from alternative rock to melodic death metal and everything in between.

I could say something similar about contemporary Sonata Arctica that are loathed by many but despite a few too many ballads, there are actually quite a few atmospheric, epic and inspiring songs to be found on The Ninth Hour and Talviyö for instance that walk off the beaten path.

I'm a fan of Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus and its remixes because I appreciate gothic and industrial metal much more than traditional death metal. I can understand why fans of old days might feel offended by these outputs but I thought they were mostly entertaining, except for the few more traditional death metal tunes that just didn't fit in but which were unsurprisingly identified as highlights by fans of the early years.

There are also several albums outside metal genres that are loathed by many but appreciated by me. I love Mike Oldfield's Heaven's Open and think that he has a great singing voice that blends in perfectly with his unique guitar play. My favourite Red Hot Chili Peppers record remains One Hot Minute because it combines relentless heaviness and weird experiments fueled by excessive drug use. One of the most despised albums in recent years, Suicide Silence's self-titled effort, is my favourite record of theirs as I appreciate the record's raw sound, spontaneous songwriting and desperate vibes.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:04 am 

Agreed on both Endorama and Revolution DNA. They are great albums for what they are. There may be a couple of weaker songs on both but overall I enjoy those albums a lot.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:15 am 

Unity wrote:
Three off the top of my head: Moonspell's "The Butterfly Effect", Cradle Of Filth's "Thornography" and Burzum's "Daudi Baldrs".

Agree with Dauði Baldrs. This album is definitely overhated.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:02 pm 

I like Anders Friden's side project Passenger more than most post-RtR In Flames albums. It fully leans into the alternative/groove/nu facets, but somehow it just works a lot better than the IF albums, where they're still trying to incorporate elements of their older sound, but they get watered down by Anders trying to take the songs in a different direction. Passenger has better guitar tone and fun bouncy riffs courtesy of Engelin, he's much more interesting here (and with Engel and Gardenian) than he was later in IF itself.

~Guest 1413143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:48 pm 

I did like Diabolus in musica, feel sorry for the fanatic and outcast; the latter much more then endorama. I dont know if it is hated, but deeper kind of slumber was great

101wildturkey101
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:00 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

I like the album, but I didn't include it in this particular list because I've seen many people indicate that as the definitive last great Slayer album, while many stop at Seasons. Personally, I do not include Divine in the same category as the classic 5, but I like it nonetheless

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:43 am 

funeralravens wrote:
Unity wrote:
Three off the top of my head: Moonspell's "The Butterfly Effect", Cradle Of Filth's "Thornography" and Burzum's "Daudi Baldrs".

Agree with Dauði Baldrs. This album is definitely overhated.

The problem with that one is the equipment used. The songs are good but it sounds childish because of the midi restrictions.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:56 pm 

Dauði Baldrs sounds like it would be at home in a Hexen mod or something and that kind of gives it charm, even if it's not good

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:24 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone admit to liking the 3rd Sabbat (UK) album. Would anyone care to own up to enjoying that one? Ignored by the band, the reissue campaigns, dismissed by those who wrote it, and seemingly the band gave up during the tour for the album. Seems like an absolute disaster and without the comedy appeal of some other albums of its ilk.

Edit: A couple of positive reviews on the site itself, but they seem at odds with everything else I've read about the album.

I don't hate the album. I particularly like "The Demise of History".

It's basically a Sabbat album in name only, though. I have a feeling if it was by a new band, the album wouldn't be so ridiculed.

Exactly. It's nothing like Sabbat but it's Sabbat, if that makes sense. I actually really liked it when it came out - it had a Headless Cross feel to it and they came out around the same time, both good albums.

But that said, the production on the Sabbat.... it's so tinny!

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:02 pm 

Opus wrote:
Reinkaos. I love it. It's such a well made album through and through.

Yup, agreed. If the old Dissection is cold and brooding, the late era Dissection is fiery and matured.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:21 pm 

Regarding Dauði Baldrs, I have to share this funny story:

My girlfriend at the time gifted me that album on my birthday, she knew nothing about metal and simply recognised the name from hanging with me, so thought it would be something I'd enjoy.

I freaking hated it but like any horny teenager I didn't want to lose my 'previledges' so I kept playing it when she was around and the album eventually grew on me to the point were I still re listen to it sometimes.

It kinda became the soundtrack to my early sex life.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:29 pm 

snarg wrote:
Regarding Dauði Baldrs, I have to share this funny story:

My girlfriend at the time gifted me that album on my birthday, she knew nothing about metal and simply recognised the name from hanging with me, so thought it would be something I'd enjoy.

I freaking hated it but like any horny teenager I didn't want to lose my 'previledges' so I kept playing it when she was around and the album eventually grew on me to the point were I still re listen to it sometimes.

It kinda became the soundtrack to my early sex life.

I love this story.

In summary: you can make anyone like your music, as long as they wanna fuck with you.

IrrationalBigBoy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:04 pm 

As my signature would suggest, I actually quite like Bathory's weird thrash/groove flirtation era with Requiem, Octagon, and Destroyer of Worlds. I know Quorthon wrote them to be kind of intentionally off-putting for the purpose of pissing off the second wave kids, but Requiem is genuinely a really solidly straightforward and delightfully trashy thrash album to me that still retains a lot of the self-titled's sloppy charm.

I feel the same way about Octagon and I especially dig the really unusual throaty crunch of the guitars on it, but I can admittedly understand the hate for it a little bit more with the same exact riff from "Psychopath" being immediately re-used for "Sociopath" (heh, get it?) and the fact that "War Supply" is just pretty weak no matter how you slice it.

Destroyer of Worlds feels like a genuinely great proper Bathory album to me with gradually-building epic numbers like the title track and "Ode" along with shorter and thrashier appetizers like "Krom" and "Sudden Death".

The three still aren't my absolute favorite Bathory albums of course - that category still goes to the 80s material - but personally I found them to be genuinely quite solid for all the shit they get on here.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:48 pm 

Nostradamus, not only an album that I like, but one of my favourite Judas Priest albums, the quality in the transitions, in the compositional section and the originality of both the concept and the interpretation are of extreme quality, very commendable considering that it was their first time getting into such terrain, and they did it brilliantly. If I were to write a review now (someday I will) I would easily give it a 95%.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next