Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
66samhain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:36 pm 

Well, not hated, I'm talking about albums in a band's discography that are seen as weak and frowned upon. Think Celtic Frost's Cold Lake or Amorphis' Far From The Sun.

I for one love Septic Flesh's Revolution DNA. When I first listened to it I had no idea of people's general view on that album and was surprised to find out that it was seen as weak, since it's one of my favourites from them. Little Music Box, DNA and Telescope especially stand out.

Do you like such albums?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:39 pm 

St. Anger has some of the best songs Metallica has ever composed.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:42 pm 

Three off the top of my head: Moonspell's "The Butterfly Effect", Cradle Of Filth's "Thornography" and Burzum's "Daudi Baldrs".

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:06 pm 

Celtic Frost’s Prototype isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. Wasn’t it just stolen from Tom Warrior, or Martin Ain? It wasn’t supposed to be released to the public.

Yes, the guitar parts are basic, and the drums are fake. But some of that stuff became good songs later, on Monotheist, and in Tryptikon. The Beatles cover is questionable. He’s trying to do the Nu metal vocal dynamic, where you talk, with quiet anger, before shouting, with loud anger, except, he forgot the second part. Hip hop jugend is really interesting though. I’d like to hear Tom Warrior do a whole album like that. Who knows? It could be my gateway drug, to rap.

I like God Hated Us All. It’s mediocre, but fun.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:07 pm 

Metallica's "Load". It's a brilliant hard rock album.

I also strongly prefer any/all Anathema since 2010 over anything else they've done (and I've been a fan since the Darren White days).

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:19 pm 

Testament - Demonic

I wouldn't say that I love it, but I like it and sometimes this album is just what I need: a simplistic but fun mix of thrash and (kinda) death.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:24 pm 

Lulu.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:25 pm 

For anyone familiar with nu-metal, you know how Korn went through that shitty phase after Head left? Well, I actually like their untitled album, it has some really interesting stuff.

2:25 always gets me in this one:

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:38 pm 

Not sure if this counts- but Black Sabbath’s Seven Star is a great hard rock/melodic metal album. I also adore Born Again- but given that’s now become a bit of a cult classic it probably doesn’t count for this discussion.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:41 pm 

Iced Earth's Glorious Burden- Framing Armageddon.
I think my main issue was that their was quite a lot of filler but I never got the hate for those albums. Crucible of Man was just bad though except the Behold the Wicked Child and Come What May

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:26 pm 

I think I'm the only one who prefers 'Reload' to 'Load', I think it's a good hard rock album, not worthy of the Metallica name but a good hard rock album if it was released under a different name.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:42 pm 

I'm gonna killed for this here but In Flames- Reroute to Remain. It was my intro to the band and I liked the different styles presented on it. :oh shit:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:07 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
I'm gonna killed for this here but In Flames- Reroute to Remain. It was my intro to the band and I liked the different styles presented on it. :oh shit:

I like that one. Soundtrack to Your Escape too. Both are cool alternative/almost nu metal albums but I still think they have great melodies and are catchy and well done.

Immortal666 wrote:
I think I'm the only one who prefers 'Reload' to 'Load', I think it's a good hard rock album, not worthy of the Metallica name but a good hard rock album if it was released under a different name.

I don't like either of them but Reload is clearly the best of the two. Or the least bad if you prefer it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:08 pm 

Reinkaos. I love it. It's such a well made album through and through.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:11 pm 

Spiritual Healing really grew on me recently and I think it's one of Death's better albums.

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:17 pm 

Eh, all the later Edguy albums actually. I just don’t get the hate. So what if Tobi decided to go hard rock? They still better than Avantasia

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:46 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Spiritual Healing really grew on me recently and I think it's one of Death's better albums.

Never understood why people think this is the ‘worst’ Death album (relatively speaking of course- Death never made a bad album). The songs are great, lyrics are intelligent, top notch cover art…and James Murphy- solid 8.5/10 - and I actually prefer it to both the albums that came before it.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:47 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:

I'll always jump to Reroute's defense. It's not great at all but it's not the drastic sound shift that everyone thinks it is (that happened on Clayman) and there are some bangers on it. Metaphor is the best "ballad" song they've ever written.

PansexualTrans
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:22 am 

I unironically like Thulean Mysteries by Burzum

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:33 am 

Massacre - "Promise". The album is hated by just about every reviewer online I've ever seen. (8% here on the archives!) And the band/Members have pretty much disowned it. But I love this album for the absolute emotional Vitriol that comes out of it on some of the tracks. Whenever I feel angry or betrayed this is the one I throw on and sing to at full volume.

Of course with that much loathing and hatred that went into it, I can see why someone may not want to hear much less perform it ever again. As for the others who had a hand in making it? Could be multiple reasons but guilt by association is about the most I'm going to bother filing it under.

(The only album I loathe with all my being is Metallica's St. Anger. I find it utterly unlistenable. It's less appealing than hot garbage and that is doing hot garbage a disservice.)

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:04 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:

Who the fuck hates Spiritual Healing??? Death and their first 4 albums are fuckin untouchable.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:40 am 

Onslaught - In Search of Sanity

This is actually my favorite Onslaught album. No joke.

Gruesome - their entire catalog

Here's a double standard in the death metal scene: Gruesome sounds like Death, and get ripped to shreds for it. Meanwhile, there seems to be an infinite number of Incantation worship bands these days, and none of the people who hate on Gruesome for sounding like Death give any of the Incantation worship bands any flak whatsoever (even though hardly anyone sounds like Death in the current Death metal scene, as opposed to the number of bands who sound like Incantation). I happen to love Gruesome and can't wait for their next album.

Testament - Souls of Black

Testament themselves dislike this album, but it's my second favorite album of theirs (after The Legacy).

Exodus - Impact is Imminent

It's an enjoyable album.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:25 am 

I think my most notorious album might be Machine Head's The Blackening. We've had a few rounds here about it, but it's one of my favorite albums, and yet it only has a 65% here. So many killer riffs and a razor-sharp production.

Gravetemplar wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

I like that one. Soundtrack to Your Escape too. Both are cool alternative/almost nu metal albums but I still think they have great melodies and are catchy and well done.

This kind of got discussed in another more topical recent thread or two, but there's a fair amount of material all the way through Sounds of a Playground that I like, lots of good riffs, harmonies, solos, acoustic bits, electronics and what not scattered about those albums that I enjoy if I tune out the vocals/lyrics and put up with the anodyne production.

Gravetemplar wrote:
Immortal666 wrote:

I don't like either of them but Reload is clearly the best of the two. Or the least bad if you prefer it.

Several songs from Reload are a large part of what got me into metal, so I will always have respect for it. We've been agreeing on too many things lately, lol.

Opus wrote:
Reinkaos. I love it. It's such a well made album through and through.

I like it as well, it's kind of like if early 00s Arch Enemy tried to make a black metal album.

MetlaNZ wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:

Who the fuck hates Spiritual Healing??? Death and their first 4 albums are fuckin untouchable.

We've had a couple of threads like this since I've been here, and I'm always flabbergasted at the stuff people trot out as "hated". Even here Spiritual Healing has an 89% rating average. Maybe some of these people have weird groups of offline friends who slag these albums.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:16 am 

Metallica - Load & Reload
Kreator - Outcast & Endorama
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
Slayer - Christ Illusion, WPB, Repentless
Hypocrisy - Catch 22
In Flames - RtR

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:23 am 

A few that come to mind:

Most of the Derrick Green era Sepultura albums. Particularly some of the earlier ones like Nation and Roorback. I think there's loads of great songs on all of the albums they've done with him aside from Against. I still struggle with that one.

Discounting the first four, Down to Earth is my favourite Ozzy album. It was the first one I heard, so perhaps that plays a part, but even listening today, I just think it's a well rounded album with a lot of good songs.

Fear Factory have a few, like Digimortal and Transgression. As someone who still enjoys the genre, I'm perhaps more forgiving of the nu metal leanings of Digimortal (I genuinely like "Back the Fuck Up", which from what I read seems to garner a lot of hate). And whilst I recognise the issues with production and track sequencing on Transgression, the songs themselves I think are pretty strong (particularly those on the first half of the album).

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:28 am 

All the Entombed albums and EPs I'm supposed to hate.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am 

66samhain wrote:
Amorphis' Far From The Sun.

I'd say I'm FftS (the complete, "reloaded" edition) no.1 fan here. Guitar-oriented rock with gloomy and poignant lyrics, compact and concise songwriting; it could've been their breakthrough into "mainstream rock", had the promotion been there. The only downside is that Koskinen doesn't sound as passionate as he can, but then, due to his burnout on the whole Amorphis thing, many parts were improvised first takes, so that's understandable.
The guitar sound on FftS is just damn perfect IMO. Blows Am Universum out of the water in that regard. And Rechberger's performance on this album is probably my favourite.

66samhain wrote:
I for one love Septic Flesh's Revolution DNA. When I first listened to it I had no idea of people's general view on that album and was surprised to find out that it was seen as weak, since it's one of my favourites from them. Little Music Box, DNA and Telescope especially stand out.

Oh yes. And I had even known before my first listening that this album was looked down upon, and I still enjoyed it a lot. It's a pretty diverse and energetic record. Sotiris might be somewhat stuck in his caustic-dripping mode on it, but that's basically the only fault I could find with it.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I think my most notorious album might be Machine Head's The Blackening. We've had a few rounds here about it, but it's one of my favorite albums, and yet it only has a 65% here. So many killer riffs and a razor-sharp production.

65% is a lot! Have you seen how much my favourite Ajattara records "retail for" in the local point economy?
I like The Blackening too - can't say I'm a huge fan of MH, but this is one of the few albums of theirs I actually have.

I had Load and Reload on cassettes as a teen, loved the hell out of them. Can't say I feel like revisiting them often - they've been ingrained into my memory all too well.

Required Fields wrote:
Testament - Souls of Black

Testament themselves dislike this album, but it's my second favorite album of theirs (after The Legacy).

Souls... was my introduction to Testament 20+ years ago, and I'm still fond of it to this day, even though I've grown sort of disillusioned as regards the band on the whole.

66samhain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:56 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:

It certainly has some bangers, such as Trigger and Cloud Connected. I also enjoy A Sense Of Purpose quite a lot. Although I'm not a fan of their recent work, I found out that all of their albums have at least one song that I like.

Benedict Donald wrote:
I also strongly prefer any/all Anathema since 2010 over anything else they've done (and I've been a fan since the Darren White days).

I can't say I prefer the post-2010 albums over their earlier ones, but I like them as well. I also noticed that I have to be in a certain mood/setting to fully enjoy them, for example I didn't get The Optimist until I was on a nightly bus trip through the countryside. Eternity also grew on me recently even though people don't give that album much love.

I also like Cemetary's gothic albums more than the death metal debut.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:57 am 

I love Blaze era Maiden. They're my favourite band, and I love just about all eras of them, outside of the last two with Bruce. No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are easily the weakest albums in the bands discography. As far as I can tell, Blaze gets the hate for purely committing the crime of following Bruce as the bands vocalist. There's a lot of good music on those two albums, and I really don't understand how you can love the stuff on Brave New World and Dance of Death and not at least like the stuff from the Blaze era.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:01 am 

Load for me too. It came out just before I got more seriously into music. Many good memories listening to it. Big boys from the school always said it sucked. Still has some of the very best songs they ever made.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:42 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I love Blaze era Maiden. They're my favourite band, and I love just about all eras of them, outside of the last two with Bruce. No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are easily the weakest albums in the bands discography. As far as I can tell, Blaze gets the hate for purely committing the crime of following Bruce as the bands vocalist. There's a lot of good music on those two albums, and I really don't understand how you can love the stuff on Brave New World and Dance of Death and not at least like the stuff from the Blaze era.

The unwarranted hatred of Blaze results from a few factors, I think.

As you mentioned, simply following Bruce is one. Another is his inability to sing Bruce-era songs. (I love Blaze, have every solo album and his Wolfsbane records, but his voice simply doesn't work on the older Maiden material....live performances of the classics are simply bad.)
Another factor is the left turn Steve took with the proggy songwriting (which we still see fans bemoaning with the reunion era). Somehow, this was Blaze's fault in the subconscious' of many fans.

And I do agree that X Factor is much stronger than FOTD or NPFTD, but Virtual XI is the band's absolute nadir in terms of songwriting. There's barely a good EP within it.

Anyway, any/all Blaze haters should check out his solo albums. The writing and production suit his voice perfectly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:44 am 

I don't think those Blaze albums are awful or unlistenable but they were the sound of a band that was sort of lagging and just floundering. Just not the best Maiden material. His voice was never really the best fit for the band, but I do like that they didn't just go with a Bruce copycat.

His solo stuff is killer, especially the last several albums.

APaleShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:32 am 

Required Fields wrote:

Gruesome - their entire catalog

Here's a double standard in the death metal scene: Gruesome sounds like Death, and get ripped to shreds for it. Meanwhile, there seems to be an infinite number of Incantation worship bands these days, and none of the people who hate on Gruesome for sounding like Death give any of the Incantation worship bands any flak whatsoever (even though hardly anyone sounds like Death in the current Death metal scene, as opposed to the number of bands who sound like Incantation). I happen to love Gruesome and can't wait for their next album

People hate Gruesome!? They sound like an alternate timeline where Death advanced their sound on Spiritual Healing, how is that anything less than the tits?

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:23 pm 

I'm just gonna come out and say it. I LOVE Turbo. The songs all rule and I don't give a shit if it's commercial or a sell out album. The songs all jam.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:27 pm 

'Cryptic writings' has always been one of my favourite Megadeth albums, love the songwriting and production on that one.
Same goes for Maiden's X Factor and I could be tempted to mention Load, but I haven't actually listened to that one for years.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:30 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:

That has always been one of my favourite Death albums, but we are talking about a band that doesn't have a single bad record...

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:44 pm 

I have MANY (here's a few of 'em):

- Xentrix: 'Kin' - IMO great songs all way through!

- Helloween: 'Chameleon' - Some amazing songs, some less amazing... But I have no problems getting through it at all.

- Anthrax: 'Stomp 442' - John Bush era albums,.. There was just one bad one, and that was Volume 8 (a total hodgepodge); packed with exploding energy.

- Septic Flesh: 'Revolution DNA' - A bloody goodie. I haven't really got into their overtly symphonic style...

- Annihilator: Dave Padden era albums - They work for me. There are some bad vocals at times, but I'm okay with the music. Dave did it much, much better live!

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:29 pm 

I'm not sure I would say I love them but "God Hates Us All" and "St. Anger" both have a few standout tracks that I absolutely love. I tend to fall into the category where there are some bands that are hated that I thoroughly enjoy, for instance i've long been a fan of Whitechapel and Slipknot who dont seem to get much credit around here, but imo have plenty of metal influence and just write great catchy songs.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:29 pm 

markhebb wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:

Never understood why people think this is the ‘worst’ Death album (relatively speaking of course- Death never made a bad album). The songs are great, lyrics are intelligent, top notch cover art…and James Murphy- solid 8.5/10 - and I actually prefer it to both the albums that came before it.

Murphy is fantastic on that album. At the top of his game. That rhythm section was stellar, too. It's too bad Death couldn't have done another album or two with that lineup. Bill Andrews and Terry Butler were together on Massacre - From Beyond as well, and while it is a good album, it isn't anywhere near the powerhouse of Spiritual Healing. SH is a riff monster.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:31 pm 

I love PLs mid period Depeche Mode/90s alt phase. Notably, One Second through PL.

I don’t like any of their subsequent “return to roots” records. They already did that style much better on LP, Gothic and Shades.

Love the “Metallica” phase as well.

Shame they ran out of ideas.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next