Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:29 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. This album gets so much shit bit in actuality it's metal as fuck. The riffs and songs are all great....not sure why the hate comes in to play.

Judas Priest - Both Turbo and Point of Entry have some gems in them an are two albums that get a lot of the most underserved shit ever. Rocka Rolla as well.

Savatage. People shit all over Fight for the Rock and Dead Winter Dead. FFTR is not as aweful as even the band makes it out to be. Oliva's solos actually helped save the album. Dead Winter Deas is one of my favorite albums by Savatage. The songs are great and it marks the return of Jon Oliva handling some vocal duties.
who shits on Dead Winter Dead? I mean it spawned TSA which ended up pushing Savatage from the backburner into nothing, and I don't care for TSA's kitschy faux-classical shit at all, but DWD is a wonderful Christmas tale, and the quotations of Mozart and Beethoven are great. try to play it every Christmas Eve.

Quote:
M-1's, ammo too, Stinger missiles got a few
Better get 'em now, while we got 'em in store
Good for a last stand, straight out of Afghanistan
If you never use 'em, you can save 'em till your next civil war
Cause that's what they're for

merry christmas!

(Fight For the Rock is okay, only ever had it on vinyl, Red Light Paradise is pretty good closer)

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:09 pm 

Load is one of the best Metallica albums.

Jugulator rips big time. Better than the last few for sure.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:23 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:
I think I'm the only one who prefers 'Reload' to 'Load', I think it's a good hard rock album, not worthy of the Metallica name but a good hard rock album if it was released under a different name.

Absolutely not alone here. Reload is one of my favourite Metallica albums. Prince Charming is the most underrated song in their entire catalog, and would absolutely crush live. I am really hoping they bust it out at the 40th anniversary shows.

I really love Reinventing The Steel, which many people seem to hate.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:00 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Immortal666 wrote:
I think I'm the only one who prefers 'Reload' to 'Load', I think it's a good hard rock album, not worthy of the Metallica name but a good hard rock album if it was released under a different name.

Absolutely not alone here. Reload is one of my favourite Metallica albums. Prince Charming is the most underrated song in their entire catalog, and would absolutely crush live. I am really hoping they bust it out at the 40th anniversary shows.

Love reinventing as well. Some of Dimes best riffs on there.

I like Digimortal by FF as well. A whole lot. With exception of that back da fuck up pandering song. Other than that - cyber techno electro hooky riffs for days.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:48 pm 

My Dying Bride's "34.788% Complete" is a great record. Remove the "Heroin Chic" tune and it's a 9/10.

This band has yet to make a bad record.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:52 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
My Dying Bride's "34.788% Complete" is a great record. Remove the "Heroin Chic" tune and it's a 9/10.

It is a great album. And I love Heroin Chic as well!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:57 am 

My next submission is In Flames' Whoracle. A 69% rating for such a classic is crazy low to me. It's loaded with iconic tunes like "Jotun", "Gyroscope", "Dialogue With the Stars", "Episode 666", etc. This is far from their controversial, much less their bad eras, so it contributes to making the site look biased (it's probably part of what steered me away from here for years).

idunnosomename wrote:
who shits on Dead Winter Dead?

It has a 69% average and is their third lowest rated album. That's a failing school grade. Big fan of it myself. Streets is their lowest rated, and I remember liking it when I was a new Savatage fan two decades ago, but I haven't heard it in eons as it wasn't my favorite of theirs, so I can't say for sure now.

jimbies wrote:
Prince Charming is the most underrated song in their entire catalog, and would absolutely crush live. I am really hoping they bust it out at the 40th anniversary shows.

Yeah, it might be my favorite track in that era of theirs.

jimbies wrote:

I haven't listened to the whole album in way too long to be certain about most of the other tracks, but "Revolution In My Name" is one of my favorite songs of theirs. Fun riff to play too.

AxeCapitol wrote:
I like Digimortal by FF as well. A whole lot. With exception of that back da fuck up pandering song. Other than that - cyber techno electro hooky riffs for days.

I also have a soft spot for it. It and Demanufacture were the first albums that I listened to regularly that had harsh vocals, and unlocked the doors for so many other bands later.

DMac77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:13 pm 

In Flames A Sense of Purpose is one of my favourite albums ever by the band. I love Jester Race, Colony, but I still love the catchiness of the later stuff. Maybe influenced by seeing them live performing the songs from the album.

In that vein I love later era Carcass, Surgical Steel was unreal live.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Testament - Souls of Black
Testament themselves dislike this album, but it's my second favorite album of theirs (after The Legacy).

I didn't realise this, it's a personal favourite of mine too. Seems to have a decent rating here (77%).

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
My next submission is In Flames' Whoracle. A 69% rating for such a classic is crazy low to me.

My first introduction to them, this album is catchy, consistent all the way through and fantastic. It doesn't have the cringe of the later era at all.

In addition I love At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul. Yes it's a sell-out but it's ear-candy that doesn't sacrifice intensity while keeping away from nu angst.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:00 am 

Unity wrote:
Three off the top of my head: Moonspell's "The Butterfly Effect", Cradle Of Filth's "Thornography" and Burzum's "Daudi Baldrs".

I never understood why "Daudi Baldrs" gets so much hate. I think it is better than many of his so called "classic" albums.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I think my most notorious album might be Machine Head's The Blackening. We've had a few rounds here about it, but it's one of my favorite albums, and yet it only has a 65% here. So many killer riffs and a razor-sharp production.

I like almost all of Machine Head's discography minus the albums were
Napalm Satan wrote:
Robbbbbbb Flynnnnnn
is literally bitching about everything. Having said that The burning red is not that bad. The title track is good, "Blood sweat and tears" is a nice song.

Benedict Donald wrote:
My Dying Bride's "34.788% Complete" is a great record.

Of course it is a great record! It was the first I listened from the band, back in 2009-2010 when the Greek Metal Hammer literally spammed them everywhere. Amazing record.

For me here is a brief list :

1) Mayhem - Grand declaration of war. I do not get the hate for this record. It features my favorite vocalist of the band Maniac, Blasphemer writes some of the most morbid and malevolent riffs of the '90s and the cover art is amazing.

2) Darkthrone - Circle the wagons. I get it. Darkthrone's retro metal era is somewhat painful for many metalheads for it has bland songs that serve as Fenriz's "fuck off" to the new guns. But I like it so much and Circle the Wagons is their best album from that period. It has some great songs and the production is amazing.

3) X -Factor. I tend to hate on Iron Maiden's latest attempts to write long songs. However this album stands out for me as their sole successful attempt to make more complex structured tracks. And surprise, surprise without Bruce Dickinson.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

66samhain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:08 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
My next submission is In Flames' Whoracle. A 69% rating for such a classic is crazy low to me. It's loaded with iconic tunes like "Jotun", "Gyroscope", "Dialogue With the Stars", "Episode 666", etc. This is far from their controversial, much less their bad eras, so it contributes to making the site look biased (it's probably part of what steered me away from here for years).

Voidsel wrote:
My first introduction to them, this album is catchy, consistent all the way through and fantastic. It doesn't have the cringe of the later era at all.

I could also say that my favourite In Flames era is when their album covers looked like Yu-Gi-Oh cards :D

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:31 am 

I really like Jugulator. It's not a perfect album by any means but it's so dark and mean and un-priest-like that I've always been enthralled by it. I think Tim Owens does a great job too even if the lyric writing on the album is subpar.

Despite how amazingly cheesy is I like a lot of Stratovarius' Elements Pt. 1

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Adore this album, and Heroin Chic is one of my favourite MDB songs. Also to echo someone above, I love Digimortal, although I find it completely front loaded. I absolutely love the first 7 songs, and then it trails off for me (comes back a bit with Strain vs. Resistance). A 7-8 song, 30 album of Digimortals first group of songs would be a top-notch industrial metal album.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:05 pm 

Judging by the reviews I've seen, people really seem to dislike the Savage Circus album Of Doom and Death. I think it's absolutely masterful progressive power/thrash. The first four songs are perfect.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:55 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Judging by the reviews I've seen, people really seem to dislike the Savage Circus album Of Doom and Death. I think it's absolutely masterful progressive power/thrash. The first four songs are perfect.

Always seemed like mine was the only bad review for it until just the other day really...

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:46 pm 

"Poetry for the Poisoned" and "Ghost Opera" were polarizing in the Kamelot fanbase when they first dropped, especially PFTP. I liked both of them quite a bit. Not as much as "The Black Halo", but they're still pretty good albums imo.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:46 pm 

Voidsel wrote:
In addition I love At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul. Yes it's a sell-out but it's ear-candy that doesn't sacrifice intensity while keeping away from nu angst.

I would hardly call that record "hated"...
PS: I love the first Groza album which is the only record I've ever seen on here with several reviews and an average score of 0%. I've said it before but I sincerely do not understand it at all.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:56 pm 

I don't think I've ever seen anyone admit to liking the 3rd Sabbat (UK) album. Would anyone care to own up to enjoying that one? Ignored by the band, the reissue campaigns, dismissed by those who wrote it, and seemingly the band gave up during the tour for the album. Seems like an absolute disaster and without the comedy appeal of some other albums of its ilk.

Edit: A couple of positive reviews on the site itself, but they seem at odds with everything else I've read about the album.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:35 pm 

jimbies wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Adore this album, and Heroin Chic is one of my favourite MDB songs. Also to echo someone above, I love Digimortal, although I find it completely front loaded. I absolutely love the first 7 songs, and then it trails off for me (comes back a bit with Strain vs. Resistance). A 7-8 song, 30 album of Digimortals first group of songs would be a top-notch industrial metal album.

Agreed on Digimortal. First half is awesome. Second not so much. However the final song - Memory Imprint - somewhat redeems the latter half. Excellent tune.

On another note, Transgression is dire. But one of the B sides - My Grave - is the BEST FF song post Obsolete. Period. No idea why it wouldn’t make the record. Probably cause it’s actually good.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:47 pm 

I don't love Cold Lake but I've gotten some pleasure out of it.

Quote:

What gave Savage Circus's debut a lot of hype was the fact that it had Blind Guardian's drummer. On the second album he left and was replaced by Mike Terrana, who was in Masterplan at the time. So for a lot of people there was this sense of "uh, what's the point now?"

I like that album too. But it wasn't continuing any sort of legacy.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:22 pm 

I don't get that argument - a band member leaves after one album, so everyone questions the point of the band? Nonsensical. The drumming on the second album is just as solid as the first. More impressive to me are the song structures. Everything is cohesive and transitions are expertly timed. I wish we could get a third album by them.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 pm 

Maybe not hated, but Macabre's Grim Scary Tales and Carnival of Killers. They're still solid albums and the sudden cliff drop of review scores don't mean they're bad albums

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:29 am 

Lagartija wrote:
Voidsel wrote:

I would hardly call that record "hated"...

It's pretty close. Only 71% here, whereas most other music rating aggregation sites have it as a legendary classic. It's another of numerous data points that show a trend. M-A just doesn't like this kind of music for the most part for some reason.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:46 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

It's pretty close. Only 71% here, whereas most other music rating aggregation sites have it as a legendary classic. It's another of numerous data points that show a trend. M-A just doesn't like this kind of music for the most part for some reason.

Reminds me of something my friend said when urging me not to register on this site: "everyone there is an elitist dickhead". Most of y'all are fine though. But damn, the reviews on this site can be pretty harsh.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:22 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Reminds me of something my friend said when urging me not to register on this site: "everyone there is an elitist dickhead". Most of y'all are fine though. But damn, the reviews on this site can be pretty harsh.

Haha, just read the reviews from UltraBoris, harshest critic ever. I wasn't around here at that time but he was the master of the hot take. He gave Master of Puppets a 0, ffs.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:28 am 

It is true that out of all genres, melodic death seems to be the most commonly disliked or, at least, not outright loved genre around here. In Flames' Whoracle, Colony, and Clayman have barely pulled 70 averages for as long as I can remember. Not entirely undeserved, I might add. But a similar average for Soilwork's Chainheart Machine?

Speaking of In Flames, I really do enjoy some cuts from A Sense of Purpose. It's better than just about any album they did in the 2000s in the sense that it's the final album in which they sounded like they still have a shit to some degree about their classic defining characteristics. And Anders' vocals aren't nearly as unbearable on that one as they are on other 2000s In Flames albums.

People seem to like Come Clarity over ASOP though, which boggles my mind, given that the mixing job on that record was completely botched. The bass sounds like a giant wet fart and the drums sound like cardboard boxes.

As for UltraBoris, he was an anomaly for sure. No other reviewer has quite been like him (Bastardhead in the old days came close sometimes). His writing was, most of the time, ridiculously immature and he seemed to value "thrash riffs" above just about everything and irrationally hated all things Gothenburg. Strangely enough, it was he who added Faith No More and Helmet to the site, both bands that are barely, if even at all, metal and which he no doubt despised.

101wildturkey101
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:04 am 

I don't know about 'hated', but I love oddball albums in established bands' discographies that are overlooked or misunderstood. Albums such as:

...And Then You'll Beg by Cryptopsy
True Traitor by Leviathan
At The Gates of Sethu by Nile
Souls to Deny and Blood Oath by Suffocation
The Wild Hunt by Watain

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:02 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
It is true that out of all genres, melodic death seems to be the most commonly disliked or, at least, not outright loved genre around here. In Flames' Whoracle, Colony, and Clayman have barely pulled 70 averages for as long as I can remember. Not entirely undeserved, I might add. But a similar average for Soilwork's Chainheart Machine?

Worse, according to the ratings they really only have one good album (The Living Infinite). Or the best Dark Tranquillity gets is a 85% for Damage Done, with nothing after Fiction getting more than 66%. It's like half the forum turned into UltraBoris acolytes.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
People seem to like Come Clarity over ASOP though, which boggles my mind, given that the mixing job on that record was completely botched. The bass sounds like a giant wet fart and the drums sound like cardboard boxes.

It's the guitars. They at least sound a lot heavier on CC than they did on RtR, STYE, and anything from ASoP and beyond. A lot of fast, thrashy riffs too. Everything on ASoP just sounds so weak, it could be filled with earlier Slayer riffs and they still wouldn't sound that metallic with that production.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:16 am 

Queensryche has few such albums for me:

Tribe
OP: Mindcrime 2

While neither come close to their classics, each is good for what it is.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:05 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Yeah; that's why, at the risk of becoming a broken record here, everyone who's interested in a getting a truly accurate consensus from the metal community needs to check out Metalstorm first, because they compile ratings and not just reviews, so you're getting the opinions of potentially thousands of metalheads, and not just the dozen or so who bothered to write a review on Metallum, which makes the latter a much smaller group whose collective opinion is much easier for a vocal/backlashing minority to "hijack" (which explains why the consensus on Gothenburg bands is actually much higher there than it is here, as you can see here).

Anyway, that leads me back to the topic at hand, since, while Sepultura's Roots is nowhere near as hated as its Metallum average would lead you to believe, it's still at least a slightly divisive effort in their body of work (though still better regarded than a lot of the Greene-era records that followed), so I'll nominate it as one of the few "Nu" (or at least Nu-ish) Metal records that has generally catchy riffs and pretty intelligent songwriting in general, which, along with the cool indigenous touches, makes it a pretty good album on the whole for me.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:06 am 

Turbo is one of my favorite Judas Priest album. Total 80's sleazefest, fun as hell. My top 5 would be : Painkiller, Defenders of the Faith, Screaming for Vengeance, Turbo and Stained Class.
Fire walk with me"

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:35 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Haha, just read the reviews from UltraBoris, harshest critic ever. I wasn't around here at that time but he was the master of the hot take. He gave Master of Puppets a 0, ffs.

To be fair, he more or less gave it a 0% score because he feels it's the most overrated metal album of all time. It's more of a "counter-vote" kind of thing.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:25 pm 

Smalley wrote:
Sepultura's Roots…I'll nominate it as one of the few "Nu" (or at least Nu-ish) Metal records that has generally catchy riffs and pretty intelligent songwriting in general, which, along with the cool indigenous touches, makes it a pretty good album on the whole for me.

I forgot to mention this one. When I first heard it, I hated it, because it wasn’t death thrash. I’ve grown to appreciate it, and now, the worst I can say, is that it’s guilty of what other Ross Robinson records of the era did, which is having too much filler, and that some songs sound unfinished.

I definitely don’t hate Nu metal anymore. And this album’s good parts are angsty tough guy songs, but they take less from the butt rock/butt rap side of Nu metal, and sound more like a more groove metal sounding Neurosis, just with shorter songs.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:26 pm 

Smalley wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Yeah; that's why, at the risk of becoming a broken record here, everyone who's interested in a getting a truly accurate consensus from the metal community needs to check out Metalstorm first, because they compile ratings and not just reviews, so you're getting the opinions of potentially thousands of metalheads, and not just the dozen or so who bothered to write a review on Metallum, which makes the latter a much smaller group whose collective opinion is much easier for a vocal/backlashing minority to "hijack" (which explains why the consensus on Gothenburg bands is actually much higher there than it is here, as you can see here).

Eh nothing wrong with thinking 'Whoracle' is a pile of dogshit. I'm pretty far from some kind of metal purist myself.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:03 pm 

I remember a thread on underrated albums I like and I wanted to only include those below 60% (or was it 70%?) in MA. I was a little bit surprised that most albums I wanted to mention was mostly over 70%. That being the case they can't be that underrated, or as in this case hated.

Sepultura - Roots

Liked it since day 1. Though this was my introduction to Sepultura so I'm partial. But to be honest I never really stuck around for continued listening to either their pre- or post-Roots albums. 27% on MA.

Equilibrium - Renegades

As with Roots above this was my introduction to the band. It is very modern sounding, very friendly on the ears, and I can't help but to really like it. The melodies are awesome and the presentation is very nice and slick. 59% on MA.

Megadeth - Risk

Classic mention in underrated albums threads. I think this was a fine attempt at doing something less aggressive and more melodic without loosing the quality. I love Megadeth so I am partial but even so I think this is above several albums in their discography (so it's not just a case of the worst album by a band I uncritically love). I genuinely think this is a great album. 48% on MA.

Metallica Load and ReLoad

Much the same as with Megadeth above these two albums got a lot of negative press because of the style change not because of the quality. I like them a lot and I return to them more often than I do to quite a few Metallica releases. 60% and 58% on MA respectively.

Machine Head - The Burning Red

This band has no quality control. They've done some horrendous stuff but this one is a really good 90's/00's groove type record. It is also very dark. Five is one of the bands best songs ever. 39% och MA.

Ghost Bath - Moonlover

I love this album. I think it is perfectly balanced. Great hooks, melodies and memorable song writing. It is everything the follow up wasn't (it is dreadful to my ears). 58% on MA.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:32 pm 

Bulldozer - Dance Got Sick!
Bulldozer - Yum Yum
Bulldozer - I Wanna Go Up!

I'm that weird guy who absolutely worship these releases. Cheesy, fun and catchy as hell. And I can totally understand why someone would hate this with passion, but I don't. I love 'em!

Thought about mentioning Bathory's "Requiem", but 69% can't really be considered "hated" at all. I rate it way higher tho. 90% for sure. Mean, nasty and incredibly brutal.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:35 pm 

Smalley wrote:
...everyone who's interested in a getting a truly accurate consensus from the metal community needs to check out Metalstorm first, because they compile ratings and not just reviews, so you're getting the opinions of potentially thousands of metalheads, and not just the dozen or so who bothered to write a review on Metallum, which makes the latter a much smaller group whose collective opinion is much easier for a vocal/backlashing minority to "hijack"

Not much difference in the case of my top bands:

https://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?b ... e=Ajattara
https://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?b ... 2BGuardian

Amorphis fans are also basically the same everywhere:
https://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?b ... e=Amorphis

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:17 pm 

Rate Your Music is another major place to get a consensus of music snob opinions. M-A just has too low of a sample size to be consistent, so you just get the aggregate of the dozen or two people who felt they need to vocal about their opinions on an album, which can tend towards the extremes. Occasionally I'll also check discogs, All Music, Metacritic, Amazon and others depending on the album.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:48 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Rate Your Music is another major place to get a consensus of music snob opinions. M-A just has too low of a sample size to be consistent, so you just get the aggregate of the dozen or two people who felt they need to vocal about their opinions on an album, which can tend towards the extremes. Occasionally I'll also check discogs, All Music, Metacritic, Amazon and others depending on the album.

The problem with that is that often it's too extreme in the other direction, tons of fanboys saying something is the greatest album ever.

For real, on dreamtheaterforums someone started a thread asking if their latest release was the greatest album of all time. For real.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:06 pm 

MetalVermont wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

The problem with that is that often it's too extreme in the other direction, tons of fanboys saying something is the greatest album ever.

For real, on dreamtheaterforums someone started a thread asking if their latest release was the greatest album of all time. For real.

Link?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next