Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:05 pm 

Since this is the Unpopular Metal Opinion thread, I'll just say Deicide do nothing for me. I'm not saying they are bad but they aren't good either.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:55 pm 

Deicide S/T is great. It's like Slayer on Satanic steroids.

Serpents of the Light is underrated. Has a neat, slightly blacker guitar tone.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:01 pm 

I have only really put some serious listens into Legion and Scars of the Crucifix but they don't do a ton for me either. Every now and then I'll listen to a couple cuts but that is about it.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:16 pm 

S/T and Legion are the best Deicide albums, The Stench of Redemption is third place.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:41 pm 

The self titled Deicide is hands down the most satanic death metal album I've ever listened to; it oozes with almost tangible evil...

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 pm 

Anyone who doesn't like "Legion" needs to do a check up at the audiologist.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:58 pm 

Say what you will about Deicide, but this video is just lovely!

Live 1988: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0e14ZHURZ8

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:00 am 

Privilege of Power might be my favorite Riot album now. Just such a vibrant listen. Great tunes.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:19 am 

kovner1972 wrote:
The self titled Deicide is hands down the most satanic death metal album I've ever listened to; it oozes with almost tangible evil...

Fuck yes! Every song slays but the unholy trinity of Lunatic Of God's Creation, Sacrificial Suicide and Carnage In The Temple Of The Damned are utterly iconic. Man I still get a massive rush when I listen to those songs. I refuse to believe it was Scott Burns producing, it had to be Satan himself.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:05 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
kovner1972 wrote:

Fuck yes! Every song slays but the unholy trinity of Lunatic Of God's Creation, Sacrificial Suicide and Carnage In The Temple Of The Damned are utterly iconic. Man I still get a massive rush when I listen to those songs. I refuse to believe it was Scott Burns producing, it had to be Satan himself.

I remember when listening to it for the first time when nothing like that was even remotely conceived in the metal underground so many moons ago, I thought 'fuck that is evil, that is brutal, that is the most scary metal album I have listened to' and 'fuck yeah I love it'. I did not know anything about that band (it was before the Internet era mind you) but that album sounded like it was played and sung by demons, and those wailing vocals and ultra satanic texts were a revelation to me. It still sounds as fresh, as evil and as powerful as it sounded 30 years ago, and to this day nothing has managed to surpass that very unique, timeless, piece of sonic evil. Now, I'm not one of those who find music evil or scary on any level; music does not scare me, nor does it sound evil -- other things scare me and evil is not something I find in the realm of music -- but oh man, that album managed to stir some shit in me I did not know music is even capable of. I think their pre-Deicide recording of the same album, namely Amon, sounds even more dark, mainly due to its crudeness production wise, I don't know, something in its vibe emanates a darker tone of wretchedness.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Privilege of Power might be my favorite Riot album now. Just such a vibrant listen. Great tunes.

Always liked this one more than Thundersteel. It's a lot more interesting, even though I love that album as well.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:28 am 

Aldrahn333 wrote:

It's mediocre at best.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:23 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Aldrahn333 wrote:

It's mediocre at best.

I've always found it a decent one. Vile for sure but far less impressive songs than the debut.
It's good, not great

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:30 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Aldrahn333 wrote:

It's mediocre at best.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that, even though I prefer the self-titled. Legion's more technical approach works surprisingly well, and songs like "Dead but Dreaming" and "Behead the Prophet (No Lord Shall Live)" have some of the best songwriting in their discography.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:32 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Always liked this one more than Thundersteel. It's a lot more interesting, even though I love that album as well.

Thundersteel is a classic, but yeah lately I've just found Privilege's more expansive sound to be more satisfying.

Played Legion for the first time in decades last night while drinking. Rips pretty hard really. Just brutal savagery. Not my favorite DM but it gets the job done.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 pm 

Self titled Deicide is black metal

A bit
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:42 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:

A bit

I don't think that's unpopular as much as it is head scratching...

I don't hear much of it, really.

But it's early/1st gen death metal, at that point in time there was a bit of overlap between black and death metal. They were just starting to differentiate itself from the thrash metal grandfathers.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:37 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
S/T and Legion are the best Deicide albums, The Stench of Redemption is third place.

Then Overtures brings the thunder at fourth place.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:54 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

A bit

I don't think that's unpopular as much as it is head scratching...

I don't hear much of it, really.

But it's early/1st gen death metal, at that point in time there was a bit of overlap between black and death metal. They were just starting to differentiate itself from the thrash metal grandfathers.

Well, a lot of the Norwegian black metal musicians from the early 90s were influenced by that album alongside Altars of Madness, so maybe that's what Lee is talking about, but I still consider Deicide to be a full-blown death metal record.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:54 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

A bit

On a somewhat related matter:

Do you guys consider Teitanblood as black metal or death metal? Might be unpopular, but to me it's death metal.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:05 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Do you guys consider Teitanblood as black metal or death metal? Might be unpopular, but to me it's death metal.

They are pretty much both. It's pretty much the essence of war metal aka black/death metal.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:47 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
CreepingDeath16 wrote:

They are pretty much both. It's pretty much the essence of war metal aka black/death metal.

He's right here. I've always considered blackened death metal to be one of the more varied extreme subgenres: you have stuff like Behemoth and Belphegor falling under the same banner as Blasphemy and Teitanblood. The genre of "war metal" is defined by the riff structure and production value. "War metal" is to blackened death metal as "slam" is to brutal death.

Bringing things back to the unpopular opinions topic, not only is Deicide overrated, but so are Obituary and Morbid Angel.

Last edited by Nocturnal_Evil on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:50 pm 

I'd say Teitanblood are more death metal than they are black metal. They also have doom and crust punk influences.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:52 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:

Death metal it is.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:19 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Life_Sucks wrote:
Incantation and that style of death metal is boring.
War metal is boring.

Pratically it’s boring 3/4 of last twenty years death metal…

Since pratically everyone copies Incantation/Immolation blend with Finnish scene of first nineties.

You don’t like death metal.

Ps Altars is inarrivable followed by Blessed,G F and H are good/great albums,C is overrated and D is new metal

I like Immolation, but Incantation bore me. Immolation have a dissonant, almost blackened sound whereas Incantation is just generic, downtuned, unmemorable, mostly midpaced, tremolo-based death metal. I'd say Suffocation, 90s Swedish death metal and 90s Florida death metal have been copied more than Incantation. I'm a big fan of all of them and 90s Finnish death metal as well.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:14 pm 

I respect your opinion and your taste but call Incantation generic death metal don’t make justice to them..

They invented death doom metal(not alone).
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 pm 

True, they introduced a sinister, doomy element to death metal while not being doom death in the strictest sense (My Dying Bride, Swallow the Sun, old Paradise Lost, Mourning Beloveth, etc.).

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:36 pm 

Life_Sucks wrote:
True, they introduced a sinister, doomy element to death metal while not being doom death in the strictest sense (My Dying Bride, Swallow the Sun, old Paradise Lost, Mourning Beloveth, etc.).

Disembowelment.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:35 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Digimortal weirdly sounds like the next evolutionary step but not a step in the direction that was needed, but it's grown on me.

Maybe just co I bought that album along side "Archetype" as an innocent, wide-eyed adolescent teen I still have a bias with that album. Yes it's nu metal as fuck and nowhere near as good as "Soul of a New Machine" or "Demanufacture" but still has it's charm. Hell I still get a laugh out of "Back the Fuck Up" like it's so edgy you can't help but single/rap along to it.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:43 am 

Digimortal is great record, it just feels right in its own way!

On the other hand:

Moonsorrow is just plain boring band! I gave those guys so many chances, and every time I'm bored to death...

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:46 am 

Life_Sucks wrote:

I think it's moreso that they pioneered that cavernous death metal sound that bands have been copying since. There were already death/doom bands putting out albums before them like Asphyx, Sempiternal Deathreign, Dream Death, Autopsy but not with the same cavernous production style.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:01 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Life_Sucks wrote:

I think it's moreso that they pioneered that cavernous death metal sound that bands have been copying since. There were already death/doom bands putting out albums before them like Asphyx, Sempiteral Deathreign, Dream Death, Autopsy but not with the same cavernous production style.

So cavernous and muddy that you barely hear the riffs, if at all...Can't stand that band, couldn't stand it from the get go. When I tried to play Onwards to Golgotha for the first time, I was like: where's the music??? Since, I stopped caring.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:35 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
I respect your opinion and your taste but call Incantation generic death metal don’t make justice to them..

Never understood why people call them death doom metal. They're clearly different from (early) Paradise Lost, Winter, Delirium, Sempiternal Deathreign - who not only had debuts out way earlier but actually did contribute to the doom/death metal genre.

dike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:45 pm 

I don't know if this is unpopular but I really should like funeral doom. It focuses on atmosphere, it often has interesting lyrics and in general seem more pretentious (which I often sort of redefine to meaning something good) but it rarely works for me anyway. Ahab's "Call of the Wretched Sea" is awesome but apart from that I always realize that music that constraints itself by keeping to much to any one tempo just lacks the dynamics I like in my music (similar problems arise for me with electronical genres that rarely strays from a certain tempo). I'd probably love band with funeral doom influences or passages but pure funeral doom albums are just to sterile in regards to tempo.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:02 pm 

I find that dynamic is there plenty of the time in subtle ways for those 'repetitive' sorts of sound. Usually meant to create a mood or to be experienced... I personally do not subscribe to the kinds of thinking in art like "oh it should be shorter" etc for many things. Thergothon and Skepticism are really evocative. Need to revisit Bell Witch too.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:01 pm 

Funeral doom is not about dynamics. And good funeral doom does not need dynamics, nor will you notice the lack thereof; however good funeral doom bands are few and far between.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:38 pm 

I didn't have anywhere else to talk about this stuff, and I noticed this board labels them as metalcore. Rorschach is NOT metalcore. Not in the past. Not now.

German Rorschachian HC is some of my favorite punk. Ferocious. Chaotic and dense like few other musics get. Gasoline vocals that put effects to shame. When the Plot Comp came out, a whole scene was spotlit. The Per Koro label and Bremen scene were the center of it, but it didn't cover all of it. It was shortlived, with most of the essentials released from 1995-1997, but the power remains. The Systral - Fever 10" still gives me goosebumps. Carol, Morser, Aclys, Acme, Ambush, Zorn, Zelot, Mine, Dawnbreed, Acheborn. Check out the nod to Celtic Frost on that first Mine 7". Morser toyed with metalcore later on, but even when they did, it was in pretty decent taste. They never went full-goose bozo and leaned more into death metal. I don't quite understand how that happened either though. It made more sense at the time to go the progressive route of Acheborn and their interesting Tuesday is Dead album.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:58 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
I didn't have anywhere else to talk about this stuff, and I noticed this board labels them as metalcore. Rorschach is NOT metalcore. Not in the past. Not now.

German Rorschachian HC is some of my favorite punk. Ferocious. Chaotic and dense like few other musics get. Gasoline vocals that put effects to shame. When the Plot Comp came out, a whole scene was spotlit. The Per Koro label and Bremen scene were the center of it, but it didn't cover all of it. It was shortlived, with most of the essentials released from 1995-1997, but the power remains. The Systral - Fever 10" still gives me goosebumps. Carol, Morser, Aclys, Acme, Ambush, Zorn, Zelot, Mine, Dawnbreed, Acheborn. Check out the nod to Celtic Frost on that first Mine 7". Morser toyed with metalcore later on, but even when they did, it was in pretty decent taste. They never went full-goose bozo and leaned more into death metal. I don't quite understand how that happened either though. It made more sense at the time to go the progressive route of Acheborn and their interesting Tuesday is Dead album.

Agreed, Rorschach is not metalcore. I used to call that stuff 'metal-influenced hardcore' but who knows.
The German/Bremen scene is one of my favourite styles/scenes ever, that Kuschelrock production with the bands (most of which shared members) that just had that nasty, aggrivating metallic sound that hasn't really ever been beaten. I loved it when those unreleased Carol songs came out a few years ago, and were better and more intense than the "Prefabricated" ones. Acme are the ultimate of that sound for me, to quote some old fanzine review: "Acme is what happens when you strap Rorschach and Slayer to a motorbike, set it on fire and ride it off a cliff".
There are at least three Acme songs floating around on various live gigs that never got recorded on the discog, all of which are (of course) awesome. To this day, I have never met anyone who has a copy of the "Menschenmaschine" demo though...

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:54 pm 

You guys realize you just described 90s metalcore, right? They laid the foundation for later mathcore. Converge were basically Rorschach but noisier and faster.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:10 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Never understood why people call them death doom metal. They're clearly different from (early) Paradise Lost, Winter, Delirium, Sempiternal Deathreign - who not only had debuts out way earlier but actually did contribute to the doom/death metal genre.

Aren’t doom?

That is a news

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 221  Next