Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:43 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
Spheres is the best Pestilence album

Sadly was too way ahead of its time..

Its just mind blowing

By the time Spheres came out in 1993, there were already jazzy and proggy death metal albums being released. Human, for instance, came out in 1991. I wouldn't exactly call Spheres "ahead of it's time", but it was a good record for sure. Although I disagree with it being Pestilence's best. With predecessors such as Consuming Impulse and Testimony of the Ancients, it's just not possibly, IMO.

Unpopular opinion

I think seriously that Spheres was more sperimental and weird of other albums..

1993 was a great year with Focus,Elements and Spheres but the first two were better received than Pestilence…

Was a joke but I take Slipknot every day over Taylor Swift
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:52 pm 

Reverend Bizarre were the last word in trad dooom... Any band sticking to that sound after So Long Suckers may as well not even bother.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:18 am 

The Wandering Midget are infinitely better than reverend bizarre, to the point that I rarely bother listening to the latter.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:46 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
1993 was a great year with Focus,Elements and Spheres but the first two were better received than Pestilence…

Spheres is not bad, really. But it's a bit wonky and disjointed, if you know what I mean. Cynic and Atheist better pulled off the proggy/jazzy death metal style then Pestilence did, IMO. Still, I'll revisit Spheres, for the sake of conversation.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:18 pm 

I'd actually take another 1993 proggy death metal album, Sadist's Above the Light, over any of those three other albums. Sadly, this band never quite got the same level of attention and the album certainly hasn't been circulated or repressed at heavily as the other bands either, but still definitely worth listening to.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:09 pm 

Demilich also released Nespithe that year, so I know what death metal album I'd pick as my favorite from that year :headbang:

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:34 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I'd actually take another 1993 proggy death metal album, Sadist's Above the Light, over any of those three other albums. Sadly, this band never quite got the same level of attention and the album certainly hasn't been circulated or repressed at heavily as the other bands either, but still definitely worth listening to.

Ah hell yeah! Glad to see someone else digs Sadist, they've been on heavy repeat for me this year in particular. Above the Light's great though I'm a bigger Tribe fan overall (plus their stretch of albums from 2007 to now has been pretty killer), Talamanca's odd keyboard work and virtuoso guitar stylings really lends to a unique sound that I've heard few bands come close to (and they've always had superhero bass performances too).

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:35 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Demilich also released Nespithe that year, so I know what death metal album I'd pick as my favorite from that year :headbang:

1993 was the year of The Nocturnal Silence
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:02 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Be careful about doing that on Spotify, Voidsel! It will start recommending you that stuff. Next time you get the urge to listen to something you don’t might not like or don’t like, open a private tab, and do it on YouTube. That way, you can listen to it, without it crowding out recommendations for things you actually like.

Ha yep, fortunately I only use Spotify as a last resort (and in this case for the top-songs playlist) when I can't find things on Bandcamp or YouTube. My wrapup would already be embarassing and non-representative.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:08 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Lies. Actually, I think the side enders are the weakest. "Tread" and "Struggle."

For some reason I always hear that line in Struggle as "You smell your own coffee" so can't take it seriously. Aside from that it's almost there as a song but falls flat despite the speed. Wolf is simplistic but fun. You always need a bit of the musical equivalent of suspension of disbelief with Metallica.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:58 am 

Whenever I may roam and of wolf and man are my fav songs of black album

But I find the omonimo a good album criticized often only because sell out,Metallica didn’t have many choiche after And Justice for All,how bands tried to simplify the sound and songs structure after more complicated album?
A lot

The problem is what will follow black album :a desert of ideas.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:26 am 

Sadist's 'Above the Light' is indeed amazing. But if you thought that album is amazing, try listening to their 1995 magnum opus 'Tribe', an album that is in its very own category. Also, 'Spheres' is miles better than the insufferable 'Focus' and even better than the very lukewarm 'Elements'. But for me, Pestilence's go-to album will always be 'Testimony of the Ancient'. A wonderful, perfect, death metal album, if there's ever been one.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:34 am 

Vital remains is a overrated band to me... i like only let us pray but nothing more.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:43 am 

immolation is the most solid band in the history of death metal... The whole discography is awesome IMO

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:37 am 

Spheres is also my favorite Pestilence album. It's an outlier of an album, and I wish they continued with that sound. Sure, it's not that groundbreaking, but for jazzy death metal of the time it's almost on par with the better ones from Atheist and Death... Although, I must agree that Nespithe is the best 1993. death metal album, and that Sadist is a great, slightly underrated band (Tribe is another favorite of mine).

jose_G wrote:
immolation is the most solid band in the history of death metal... The whole discography is awesome IMO

Agree. I'm not sure how unpopular is that opinion, though, so I'll add this: Unholy Cult is the best death metal album of all time!

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 pm 

jose_G wrote:

This isn’t unpopular is the TRUTH!!!!!

And yes Unholy Cult is one of best album all time

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:48 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
jose_G wrote:

I love Immolation and they certainly are consistent, but Immolation peak not near Suffocation's and Suffocations valley still on par with Immolation.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:41 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
jose_G wrote:

I love Immolation and they certainly are consistent, but Immolation peak not near Suffocation's and Suffocations valley still on par with Immolation.

Indeed Suffocation peak was three albums…

Immolation all career

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:45 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:

I love Immolation and they certainly are consistent, but Immolation peak not near Suffocation's and Suffocations valley still on par with Immolation.[/quote]
Indeed Suffocation peak was three albums…

Immolation all career[/quote]

3 albums? I'd say they had 4 because I think "Souls To Deny" is every bit as good as the original 3, plus the EP should be thrown in as well. I'd agree that Immolation's whole career is consistent, but at no point do they reach Suffocation's peak.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:56 pm 

I'm not the biggest Suffocation fan to be honest. They are a bit boring. I'd say Immolation are a lot better.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:52 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'm not the biggest Suffocation fan to be honest. They are a bit boring. I'd say Immolation are a lot better.

Boring? Ohh man that hurts my soul lol. I can see someone prefering something else but boring? Ouch.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:58 pm 

I mean it depends on the song, and how much you listen to it. Suffocation took a while for me to warm up to, but there's something about songs like Pierced from Within that I just find really satisfying. There's nothing super astonishing, sure, but it just sounds so nice.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:16 pm 

Im a super fan of Suffocation but maybe miss the catchy of Immolation…

Breeding the Spawn is one of favorites albums all time..

I like all Suffocation albums but I think the loss of Cerrito was a hard hit…

First nineties were awesome,Gorguts The Erosion of Sanity too strike me

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:18 pm 

The Melvins were the American equivalent of Cathedral. Sludge and doomy with self awareness and humor. But Cathedral leaned into the “British” dungeons and dragons aesthetic while the Melvins were ironic social commentary dressed up in immature imagery.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:51 am 

AxeCapitol wrote:
The Melvins were the American equivalent of Cathedral. Sludge and doomy with self awareness and humor. But Cathedral leaned into the “British” dungeons and dragons aesthetic while the Melvins were ironic social commentary dressed up in immature imagery.

Apart from the fact that both were fairly idiosyncratic bands I don't really get the comparison at all. Cathedral sound pretty different to the Melvins, though I've yet to really delve into the latter's output.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:58 am 

There's a "“British” dungeons and dragons aesthetic"?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:46 pm 

I'm not sure what British dungeons and dragons entails but I do think Cathedral's aesthetic has a mix of cheekiness and dry sarcasm that is very distinctly *British*. On the flip side, Melvins feels like musical shitposting where the phrase "hey, you know what would be funny?" was said every time they recorded something. Both bands did bring a quirky attitude to their music but I think they both went about it differently.

Khalian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:26 pm 

jose_G wrote:

I'd probably agree with this. They are one of my favorite death metal bands (Dawn of Possession is one of my all time favorites, I wish I could find more quality DM with the raspy vocals like on Dawn of Possession and Altars of Madness) and they put on a spectacular live show.

The only album of their's that I have not been able to get into is Failures for Gods, despite its generally high reviews. Something about the production doesn't click with me and the tracks sound so....weak. Especially when compared with their other output.

Their most recent album kicks major ass too

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:14 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:

Hell yes! I think Breeding is their best album, criminally underrated. I found a remaster someone made on youtube that improved the sound because the songwriting on that album is amazing. Cerrito was a machine, even the songs he wrote on the first Hate Eternal album were monsterous, it'd have been so nice had he never left Suffocation.

When it comes to Immolation they are so consistent its hard to pick a favorite but I think that Kingdom of Conspiracy is one of their more underrated albums.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:14 pm 

Opinion: "Gangland" by Iron Maiden is a good song and doesn't deserve the hate it gets. For the life of me I don't get why it's so hated.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:44 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

Hell yes! I think Breeding is their best album, criminally underrated. I found a remaster someone made on youtube that improved the sound because the songwriting on that album is amazing. Cerrito was a machine, even the songs he wrote on the first Hate Eternal album were monsterous, it'd have been so nice had he never left Suffocation.

When it comes to Immolation they are so consistent its hard to pick a favorite but I think that Kingdom of Conspiracy is one of their more underrated albums.

Maybe because I like raw and underproduced black metal album or I have listened Breeding for 25 years but I like the production or its doesn’t bother me…

Must underrated album of Immolation is in my opinion Harnessing Ruin and their ep Providence it is never mentioned but is stellar..

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:59 pm 

I also don't really mind raw production. It might take a little bit to get used to it, but it eventually does, and after that I never really wish for the music to sound any different.

I'm thinking about stuff like the Timeghoul demos. I know some people can't get into the music because it has a rough and raw production (they are demos afterall), but I personnally wouldn't want them to sound different, and I wouldn't want the band to rerecord them today with a "proper" studio production. It would probably lose a part of it's unicity, a part of it's charm if it was redone.

This is also why I despise remasters in general. Even if the audio quality is objectively improved in terms of clarity and to give a wider range for the bass and trebble to really come out better, it also tends to change the overall feeling of the album, and I don't like this. I tend to prefer the original album with it's flaws and qualities over pretty much every kind of remaster (rerecordings are even worse, IMHO).

I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion, but I think remasters, generally speaking, don't improve the music in terms of experience and enjoyment. Rerecordings are out of the question entirely for me. Can't stand them.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:24 pm 

traxan wrote:
Opinion: "Gangland" by Iron Maiden is a good song and doesn't deserve the hate it gets. For the life of me I don't get why it's so hated.

This is how I feel about Invaders. Gangland is a fine song, not one of the stronger ones but still good, but Invaders is a high octane romp with tons of energy and killer bass runs *and* is the introduction of their iconic vocalist. And yet for some reason it's frequently cited as not only one of the worst tracks on NOTB, but one of the worst of their entire 80s run. I'll never get it. Y'all hate fun.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 am 

BastardHead wrote:
traxan wrote:

This is how I feel about Invaders. Gangland is a fine song, not one of the stronger ones but still good, but Invaders is a high octane romp with tons of energy and killer bass runs *and* is the introduction of their iconic vocalist. And yet for some reason it's frequently cited as not only one of the worst tracks on NOTB, but one of the worst of their entire 80s run. I'll never get it. Y'all hate fun.

Isn't this 'Gangland' vs. 'Invaders' discussion deja vu? Not that it matters, but I swear it happened already 30 or 40 pages back.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 am 

If it did, I don't remember it (I took some time off), and if I participated, I'm going to assume I still agree with myself lol
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:05 am 

Cradle of Filth has always been better than Dimmu Borgir. Dusk...and Her Embrace and Cruelty and the Beast I can listen to any day of the week, and I still have Midian CD from all the way back in high school. At the very least, modern CoF is miles better than anything DB has put out in the last twenty years or so. Shagrath has maybe one or two albums where his vocal performance is memorable, the rest are just meh. Dani Filth is a much more memorable and dynamic vocalist. Go on, send the pitchforks...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:55 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Immolation all career

Immolation haven't sounded good since Shadows In The Light

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:02 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
Immolation all career

Oooh...now that is a hot take if ever I've heard one

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:36 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:
Immolation all career

Lol

After Shadows they have released only one of best al album of modern times

MAJESTY AND DECAY

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:59 am 

traxan wrote:

I’d say it’s not a good song, it’s a great song.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 221  Next