Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:23 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Napalm Death is great in all eras, but, From Enslavement To Obliteration is their best, followed by Enemy of the Music Business.

Yeah, I've always found FETO their most enjoyable, mainly because of Lee Dorrian and Mick Harris.

easyrocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:59 pm 

FETO is best for me and most of the members that split between 86-89 went on to do better things than Napalm Death would put out.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:07 pm 

I never cared about popular/unpopular opinions. Maybe my most unpopular opinion is that I dont't care about anyone's opinion unless I know them personally or they actually wrote a book or album I really, really like.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:02 pm 

Here's one. Matti Way's vocals on the first four tracks of the Cranial Impalement album are the greatest metal vocals ever recorded, by a WIDE margin.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:47 am 

(The band who’s lyrics I reference isn’t metal, but the vocalist is on here, for being in sludge bands) I agree with Seth Putnam, when he said that, if Hitler had been born 80-90 years later, he would’ve listened to the smiths, the cure, and Depeche Mode.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:02 am 

morbert wrote:
I never cared about popular/unpopular opinions. Maybe my most unpopular opinion is that I dont't care about anyone's opinion unless I know them personally or they actually wrote a book or album I really, really like.

Nah, quite a few people whose opinions I don't agree with have crafted art I really enjoy. The only people whose opinions I do care about are the ones that have a direct influence in my life - such as my significant other, close relatives or boss.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:12 am 

mirons wrote:
morbert wrote:

Nah, quite a few people whose opinions I don't agree with have crafted art I really enjoy. The only people whose opinions I do care about are the ones that have a direct influence in my life - such as my significant other, close relatives or boss.

Not what I said. I said 'interested in an opnion' I didn't say anything about agreeing.

Also; My boss' opinion is pretty the least interesting to me. 'Bosses' change more often than socks anyway.
As one of my earlier managers once said to another manager "Dogs have a boss. people don't"

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:17 am 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Napalm Death ....From Enslavement To Obliteration is their best.

That is about as far from an unpopular opinion as possible regarding ND. I have only two friends that are Scum all the way. All the rest agree on either F.E.T.O. or even some on Harmony

Now if you'd said 'Fear, Emptiness, Despair' is their best, I would go out and buy you either a straightjacket or a clown nose for trolling.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:21 pm 

Thinking Scum is Napalm Death's best album seems to be an unpopular opinion to me... but, it is the correct one

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:47 pm 

Scum, like reign in blood, does extremity correctly. It isn’t constant blasts, it has slower parts, and the hyper speed songs are short, and don’t all blur together. And the album is really short. I know that some of it is supposed to be a compilation of preexisting songs, but it feels like it’s all put together well.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

MitchVortex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:37 am 

Metallica is boring as fuck.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:38 am 

Saxon was always one step below the big heavy metal bands, it's a good band but I think that nowadays they're quite overrated, from rock the nations they've gone through quite mediocre records.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:40 am 

jose_G wrote:
Saxon was always one step below the big heavy metal bands, it's a good band but I think that nowadays they're quite overrated, from rock the nations they've gone through quite mediocre records.

To me Saxon was always one of those bands where you'd do fine with a single greatest hits compilation, because even their best albums are pretty weak.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:07 am 

I can like Saxon for about 30 minutes, be it live or on record; any longer than that and I quickly get bored to tears.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:26 am 

Saxon for me is Wheels of Steel exclusively.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:13 pm 

I got to see them live on their Carpe Diem tour this year. I wouldn't call them one of the best metal bands but they've been one of the most consistently solid since Doug Scarratt joined. While nothing they've done has topped their 1980-81 albums, I would pick Unleash the Beast and Lionheart as the best albums to hear the more modern (occasionally even power metal) side of the band.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:38 pm 

mirons wrote:
I can like Saxon for about 30 minutes, be it live or on record; any longer than that and I quickly get bored to tears.

One of the bigger hit-or-miss bands for me. What I love, I love a lot, but when they miss, it's a complete snooze fest.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:35 pm 

MitchVortex wrote:
Metallica is boring as fuck.

Which era we talking?

I wouldn't have minded seeing them live with Jason. They had a special kind of energy live.
More recent stuff like Hardwired I find kind of boring but well executed and I still find that material kind of enjoyable at times.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:02 pm 

Denis era Helloween albums are better than Kiske era.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:09 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Close
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:12 pm 

morbert wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Napalm Death ....From Enslavement To Obliteration is their best.

That is about as far from an unpopular opinion as possible regarding ND. I have only two friends that are Scum all the way. All the rest agree on either F.E.T.O. or even some on Harmony

Now if you'd said 'Fear, Emptiness, Despair' is their best, I would go out and buy you either a straightjacket or a clown nose for trolling.

I didnt say it was unpopular i was responding to someone else saying it was overrated. I do think Fear Emptiness Despair is one of Napalms better albums though, better than Harmony Coruption but not as good as Utopia Banished.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:15 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

That reminds me, I need to listen to the Kiske era albums again. Particularly Walls and Keepers 1. I didn't like 'em much, but a good amount of time has passed.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:31 pm 

Power Metal is in the top three Pantera albums, along with Cowboys From Hell and The Great Southern Trendkill.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:31 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
That reminds me, I need to listen to the Kiske era albums again. Particularly Walls and Keepers 1.

Poser alert! Poser alert!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:35 pm 

Footless wrote:
Power Metal is in the top three Pantera albums, along with Cowboys From Hell and The Great Southern Trendkill.

Power Metal is in the top two Pantera albums along with I Am the Night. That's not an unpopular opinion though. My bad.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:47 am 

Opus wrote:
Footless wrote:

Power Metal is in the top two Pantera albums along with I Am the Night. That's not an unpopular opinion though. My bad.

Speaking of Power Metal, the song "Rock the World" does feel like a Helloween song, does it? It sure as hell doesn't sound like a Pantera song.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:25 am 

I actually like power ballads in heavy, glam and power metal, no matter if they are cheesy or not.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:13 am 

BHpost incoming

Ya know, part of the reason I was mostly AWOL for nearly two years was because I got really into Final Fantasy XIV. It was my first MMO and I wound up getting hooked extremely quickly. It was tons of fun because it turns out the memes were true! It really is full of helpful people who are more than willing to lend a helping hand to newbies and it's quite common to just roam around and see fun interactions between randos at any given moment. You'll occasionally get a weird Lalafell acting as a street preacher in Limsa about how Miqote should be exterminated because furries are degenerates but for the absolutely overwhelming majority of the time you'll have nothing but pleasant interactions in a game that was explicitly designed to be friendly to noobs. I have fond memories of nervously learning how to tank and having friendly healers explain to me why wall-to-wall pulling would be more effective (but only if I'm comfortable) and what the smoothest mit rotations are. It's great, I love it and would still be playing daily if money didn't get tight, and it's overall balanced very well where every class uses the same bones underneath their specific gimmicks so everything is easy to pick up, fun to master, and the entire game is clearable with any class or party makeup.

However I made the foolish mistake of joining the FFXIV subreddit after I'd been playing for nearly a year and a half and had reached the end of the main quest up to that point. The subreddit was a completely different environment and was such a jarring tone shift that it honestly hurt my enthusiasm for the game as a whole. Apparently I had forgotten that reddit self-selects for unhinged dickheads with Main Character Syndrome. The only sense of "community" that existed was a shared virulence towards 1) Sprouts who haven't mastered every granular detail to the extent that high end raiders have, 2) Anybody (particularly tanks, which was my favorite role) who wasn't loaded up on +5 melded BiS gear, 3) any sense of "suboptimal" play to the point that they openly and gleefully kick anybody who isn't purple parsing even on mid-level dungeons, 4) healers who spent "too much" time actually healing/buffing instead of spamming their intentionally weak attacks to fell bosses six seconds sooner, 5) Machinists in general since it was obviously a dead job and anybody playing it was obviously an ill-informed scrub-ass loser or an intentional troll out to grief "serious" players. When the Savage tier Pandaemonium raids dropped I read a deluge of complaints about MCH being useless because of the super tight DPS check on the fifth stage, and when the devs responded by nerfing P5S by literally 1% instead of buffing MCH I read even more whining about how this was just catering to fake fans who sucked at the game and made things categorically worse for them. The implication was that everything should be catered to them in specific, and if you ever pointed out that MCH was a perfectly viable job that had been used to clear literally everything in the game and that the main reason it struggled with tight checks is because it has a very precise burst window that required a lot of manual dexterity to nail at the mathematical maximum and therefore buffing it and making it even stronger than similar jobs instead of just nerfing the only boss that was causing headaches (again, by literally only dropping it's HP pool by 1%) didn't really make sense, you would be baptized in a flurry of downvotes and vitriolic comments about how you didn't get it and were just carrying water for a dev team that didn't care about players.

The thing is, from their perspective, mild rebuttals like that truly were patently ridiculous. MCH has higher DPS than BRD or DNC but the other two classes had more party-wide utility thanks to raidwide buffs that MCH didn't have. A selfish DPS that falls behind the absurd power of BLM or SAM has no place in a raiding party when better options are available and anybody not getting with the program and changing their jobs to match was simply a liability. It didn't matter that the raw numbers weren't that much lower, what mattered is that it wasn't the best, and anybody insisting it was viable was just a hardheaded asshole. Do you wanna tank as WAR for their absolutely batshit self sustainability or PLD for their secondary healing to ease the pressure off your healers? Fuck you, moron. You better be playing DRK or GNB instead or you're getting an insta-kick. It sounds harsh but you can't beat the burst window on those two, and if anybody needs healing at all then they just aren't playing optimally and you shouldn't enable that behavior. This is obvious. The numbers are right there. What kind of fucking idiot can't see that unless they're just actively ignoring them to be a stubborn pain in the ass or are just too fucking stupid to understand?

The point of all that is that MA is the same way and I think a lot of us have just completely lost the layman's perspective. r/ffxiv is a definitively tiny slice of the playerbase and yet are completely convinced that they are not only a representative cross section of fans, but the correct one. They can't understand why MCH is fun to play for the same reason that we can't understand why somebody would love Vulgar Display of Power while having zero interest in Power Metal. The fact is, an utterly dominant supermajority of Pantera fans don't even know that they existed at all before 1990. The cold fact is that considering Power Metal to be the best Pantera album is 1000000% an unpopular opinion by basically every conceivable metric except by us here. Why don't you like Far Beyond Driven? Because it fucking sucks, duh.

tl:dr - The opinion in question is technically correct, the best kind of correct! It's only in the context of somebody saying it when surrounded by obsessive nitpicky weirdos like us that it seems ridiculous. You can view MA like an elite club of intelligent sophisticates who appreciate things on a much deeper level than the normies or you can view MA like a bunch of asthmatic dweebs in a treehouse, but the fact is we aren't a representative slice of the metal listening public at large and it would probably do a lot of us a lot of good to really remember that.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am 

BastardHead wrote:
The fact is, an utterly dominant supermajority of Pantera fans don't even know that they existed at all before 1990.

That was perhaps true until the majority of the western world got something called internet around 1997/1998. The world has quite changed. Anyone with an IQ over 60 knows wikipedia (launched 2001)
Sorry to say but I've spoken to a lot of P-fans, all at least 20-25 years younger than me and they all know P's prior-1990 stuff.

BastardHead wrote:
Why don't you like Far Beyond Driven? Because it fucking sucks, duh.

yeah... been trying to convince everyone of this since, well, 1994. But to no avail.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:13 am 

Bastard is right on the asthmatic dweeb-treehouse though. We tend to forget that.

I like "Five Minutes Alone" for its boneheaded violence approach. But only about twice a year. The rest of the album I have absolutely forgotten by now.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:25 am 

People on "forums" of all kinds tend to assume they are representative of all enthusiasts of whatever topic it is built around, when they are usually a small minority of total wackjobs*. I know plenty of people who love metal, or other forms of music, who find the idea of spending time talking about it with people on the internet to be a incredible waste of time.

*I am a wackjob who admits it to himself.

Far Beyond Driven is probably my last favorite Pantera album but beyond CFW the rest all have huge weak points for me. I can listen to meathead metal if I'm in that mood but so much of FBD doesn't do much for me musically. With Pantera give me more Mouth for War and less Walk. FBD seems to be going farther down the Walk path for me.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:03 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Satyricon got better as they got less trve black metal.

100%. I did spin through Nemesis Divina recently and I still quite like it but I'll take anything from Volcano going forward any day.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:17 am 

blackdiamond74 wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

100%. I did spin through Nemesis Divina recently and I still quite like it but I'll take anything from Volcano going forward any day.

I heard Nemesis Divina and wasn't blown away but then I checked out Dark Medieval Times and thought it was great, so maybe it's just that album in particular?

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:30 am 

blackdiamond74 wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

I agree, I like the early albums but I find the Volcano and onward a better listen.

DemonFilth2001
Had a one night stand with Phil Anselmo and never got a call back

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:41 am 

Painkiller is simply terrible. One of JP's worst releases.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:15 pm 

I strongly disagree. I think Dark Medieval Times in particular is an absolute masterpiece. Raw black metal infused with folk melodies and symphonic elements. And I think Nemesis Divine took that foundation and made it more refined and mature (the 2 tracks after Immortality Passion are very skipable though, making it the lesser album of the two). I find that picture more interesting to listen to than the more rock-oriented later sound.

The later albums are still fun to listen to though, and they work great live. I have never seen a crowd get so excited as when they played KING at the end of their set when I saw them in 2016. Everyone was headbanging like crazy.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:52 pm 

Dark Medieval Times is a masterpiece, and I don't use this description lightly or often. This album is magic incarnate, something about the atmosphere and the tunes spellbind me like no other black metal album I have ever listened to in my many years of metal dwelling. Latter-day Satyricon I don't even bother with, I've heard some, and it was more than enough. The debut and The Shadow Throne are really all the Satyricon I need, even though I still need to re-listen to Nemesis Divina and I've even hear some good things about Rebel Extravaganza, but that's all folks.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:39 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The point of all that is that MA is the same way and I think a lot of us have just completely lost the layman's perspective. r/ffxiv is a definitively tiny slice of the playerbase and yet are completely convinced that they are not only a representative cross section of fans, but the correct one. They can't understand why MCH is fun to play for the same reason that we can't understand why somebody would love Vulgar Display of Power while having zero interest in Power Metal. The fact is, an utterly dominant supermajority of Pantera fans don't even know that they existed at all before 1990. The cold fact is that considering Power Metal to be the best Pantera album is 1000000% an unpopular opinion by basically every conceivable metric except by us here. Why don't you like Far Beyond Driven? Because it fucking sucks, duh.

tl:dr - The opinion in question is technically correct, the best kind of correct! It's only in the context of somebody saying it when surrounded by obsessive nitpicky weirdos like us that it seems ridiculous. You can view MA like an elite club of intelligent sophisticates who appreciate things on a much deeper level than the normies or you can view MA like a bunch of asthmatic dweebs in a treehouse, but the fact is we aren't a representative slice of the metal listening public at large and it would probably do a lot of us a lot of good to really remember that.

I get the gist of your post, but I don't agree on some of the specifics. For instance, I don't think we are like the FF subreddit you are talking about, namely because we tend to be more incluse and welcoming to differing opinions. Sure there are heated debates around here, but we usually manage to have healthy conversations and stay mostly open to new perspectives, as opposed to people who think there is only one way to play a game, and will consider those who slightly disagree with this, as unworthy and "noobs", and refuse to even engage with these people or play with them in the game.

And then you said "You can view MA like an elite club of intelligent sophisticates who appreciate things on a much deeper level than the normies or you can view MA like a bunch of asthmatic dweebs in a treehouse", and I don't know why we couldn't be both. Maybe I would phrase it differently and not call us "elite club of intelligent sophisticates" but maybe think of us more as scholars who are very involved in researching, discovering, understanding the subject at hand, and yes, that tends to give us more knowledge and understanding of metal. I'm not saying we're a majority or that all metalheads are like this. You are correct on this, but it is true that MA regulars tend to be more knowledgeable and have more interesting perspectives and ideas to contribute then a lot of your average day-to-day metalhead. By my own experience, the discussions I have here about metal music are far more interesting then most interactions I've had with metalheads "IRL", with a few exceptions.

My other issue with what you're saying is that, from my experience, the metalheads who are more shallow, stubborn and think that they know everything better then everyone else, are usually not the "MA elite club of intelligent sophisticates", but the people who have, ironically, very little knowledge of metal, but still think that whatever they like/know is OBVIOUSLY the best and most metal stuff there is, and anyone who disagrees with them is just not a true metalhead, or stupid, or has shitty tastes. For instance, I saw a guy criticizing the reunion tour of Pantera and people basically jumped him, saying he was not a true metalhead if he didn't like Pantera. I've seen the same kind of shit from diehard superfans of Slayer, Metallica and Slipnot. This kind of overzealous love and fanboism that their superfans have tend to come, not from a place of knowledge, but ignorance.

To keep up with your analogy of FF, these Slayer superfans, for instance, are like if the noobs you described, instead of trying to gain knowledge of the game through more experienced players and by exploring, just stuck to whatever their first build was, and decided it was the best, never cared to learn anything else, and treated those who disagree with them as stupid.

Now of course I'm painting a portrait with a wide brush here. There are of course people who are metal newbies, or who know relatively little who aren't dicks and who don't pretend to know everything. And of course, there are people on MA who view themselves as an infallible elite among metalheads whose ideas, tastes and views are obviously the best.

Where I agree with you, is that it's true that MA, just like any other circles, is an echo room, where we hangout with other relatively like-minded people, so we tend to perceive the opinions shared here as maybe being more common then they actually are. One thing that periodically reminds me of this, is when we have newcomers, or basically even just regulars who tend to be more heavily into power metal, is how much MA's forum is a nest for extreme metal lovers. Whenever I go outside of MA and talk about metal, most people have no idea who the hell are these bands I keep talking about, haha!

When it comes to metalheads I personnally know, there really aren't that many who actually know the stuff we talk about here on a daily basis. I've met this one French photographer guy who became a very good friend of mine, and he's basically the only guy I can sit with and listen to brutal death metal, raw black metal and grindcore in the living room while smoking a doobie. Him and Tony (or Metantoine as he is known here on MA) are pretty much the only metalheads I personnally know who are into all the more underground extreme metal stuff we talk about here. Oh, and also my ex-girlfriend, because she had to listen to all of that stuff, haha :P

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:23 pm 

Satyricon are amongst the worst and least interesting early black metal bands imho. Everything they've done sounded boring to me. Their early stuff is amateurish even by early black metal standards. Nemesis Divina is their only decent album and it pales when compared with other Norwegian classic albums.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:03 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Satyricon are amongst the worst and least interesting early black metal bands imho. Everything they've done sounded boring to me. Their early stuff is amateurish even by early black metal standards. Nemesis Divina is their only decent album and it pales when compared with other Norwegian classic albums.

Shadowthrone is their best.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 221  Next