Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AJManiac666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:52 pm 

Hello there! I want to do something fun here about what are your top favorite NWOBHM bands of all time? From my list here is one of my top favorites!

1. Def Leppard
2. Iron Maiden
3. Quartz
4. Witchfynde
5. Wolf (UK)
6. Grim Reaper
7. Dark Star

How about yours?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:09 pm 

For many years now, Legend (the one with Death in the Nursery) has been an absolute favourite.
Also must put Satan up there.
Also, while I'm not really all that familiar with their second album yet, Fist ranks pretty high for me with their album Turn the Hell On.

Raven's definitely way up there as well. Rock Until you Drop still fills me with such excitement and zeal even after so many years.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:24 pm 

it's more of an album 'genre' than a band genre. Few bands had consistently good discographies.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:28 pm 

Angel Witch and Cloven Hoof are probably my top two; stellar debut albums followed by rock solid if less remarkable efforts.

Savage is also pretty good, again if not for just for the debut. Most of their discography though is pretty meh.

Raven, Tygers of Pan Tang and Tokyo Blade all have assorted songs I really like but overall I'd hardly call myself a fan.

Oh, and Iron Maiden of course is a no-brainer.

On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:53 pm 

Mostly doom-related stuff like Witchfinder General and Pagan Altar.

But I do have a strong affinity for classics like Angel Witch, Satan, Maiden and the like.

My favorite tune from the era though, is most definitely Tyrant's "Hold Back the Lightning"

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:56 pm 

Fuck it I can't resist. I love that scene from 79 to 82 and all its infectious youthful enthusiasm. There's so many bands that I'll restrict it to 15 bands that released actual full lengths in that time period, tho what made the scene so cool was the amount of great singles/EPs that were getting released during that time from the likes of Savage, Trespass, Jaguar, Blitzkrieg, Sweet Savage etc etc and some very cool comps too.

1. Iron Maiden
2. Diamond Head
3. Raven
4. Saxon
5. Angel Witch
6. Venom
7. Tygers of Pan Tang
8. Holocaust
9. Samson
10. Witchfynde
11. Def Leppard
12. Demon
13. Vardis
14. Girlschool
15. Witchfinder General

Edit: Removed Quartz because they didn't fit in with the spirit of the rest of my list.

Last edited by MetlaNZ on Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm 

For many years (since around 2008-ish) i have been a NWOBHM fan, and it has been in my top favorite genres (Yes i know it is not really a genre but it does distinguish the bands from the others of that era), along with Black Metal and Thrash Metal.

1. Iron Maiden
2. Angel Witch
3. Tank
4. Satan
5. Cloven Hoof
6. Saxon
7. Tygers of Pan Tang
8. Blitzkrieg
9. Venom
10. Holocaust

Honorable Mentions : Diamond Head, White Spirit, Virtue, Tokyo Blade, Wolf, Witchfinder General, Grim Reaper, Trespass, Paralex, Samson, Quartz, Avenger, Warfare, Overdrive, Triarchy, Mythra, Demon Pact, Raven, Witchfynde.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:48 pm 

I LOVE Cloven Hoof so they're up there. Of course Maiden, Saxon, Angel Witch, Diamond Head and Satan as well.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:37 am 

Whole lotta people forgetting to include Motörhead in their rankings here...

:oh shit:

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:18 am 

Not in any order:

Iron Maiden (of course)
Venom
Quartz
Angel Witch
Witchfinder General
Saxon
Holocaust (Heavy Metal Mania!)
Legend
Jaguar (Axe Crazy!)

I've been just getting into Satan. Court in the Act is good.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 am 

Venom, Venom, & Venom!

But seriously.....

Venom, Girlschool, Raven, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Witchfinder General, Angel Witch, Saxon, Diamond Head, and probably most of the ones mentioned by others here! Of the ones I'm familiar with, I can't think of a SINGLE one that sucks! The NWOBHM Revisited comp. put out by Metal Blade is CLASSIC.

Last edited by Metal Shark on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 am 

Smalley wrote:

Everyone LOVES Motorhead, but they were pre-NWOBHM.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:36 am 

It's hard to formulate a kind of list for this, as was mentioned earlier, NWOBHM only has a handful of bands with long, relevant discographies so it's hard to weigh a band like Saxon that had five full lengths by 1983 to a cult band that dropped off before the wave dried up. Speaking of cult, I didn't see Hell mentioned so I wanted to make a point to do so.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:01 am 

Legend, Cloven Hoof, Tygers of Pan Tang, Pagan Altar, Hell, Apocalypse (Omega), Arc, Marquis de Sade all have absolutely outstanding releases to their names. The Def Leppard EP and their first couple of albums are some of my favourite records from the era.

The real gems in Nwobhm are the demos. In most cases, where bands went onto release records, the demos are usually heavier and better versions instead of the stuff that ended up on vinyl. Angel Witch's demos, for example, are much better than what ended up on their first record, and that record was brilliant in it's own right. Def Leppard's EP is probably the best thing they ever did. Bands like Marquis de Sade and Arc only really had one release, but there's absolutely brilliant music to be found there.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:53 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
Smalley wrote:

Exactly. Motörhead were never an NWOBHM band. They came too early and their sound doesn't fit either imo.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:56 pm 

Of the ones which haven't mentioned, Dawnwatcher. Really awesome proggish early heavy metal, kinda like more metallic Captain Beyond. Also strangely no one has mentioned Traitor's Gate so far. Roksnax compilation also should be mentioned, a mandatory release for anyone interested in NWOBHM. Also worth mentioning Tyrant one more time, might be the most underrated NWOBHM band with its excellent demo and single (the world's first power metal band?). Many bands also put out like a single great song in their short career with the rest of their catalogue not being very good. I made a compilation for myself featuring these tracks, just few names: Dealer "The Final Conflict", Chinawite "Blood on the Streets", Warrior "Dead When It Comes to Love", Weapon "Set the Stage Alight" , Turbo "Charged for Glory" and many more.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:04 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Metal Shark wrote:
Smalley wrote:

Exactly. Motörhead were never an NWOBHM band. They came too early and their sound doesn't fit either imo.
It doesn't matter if they didn't sound like any other NWoBHM band though, because that was a movement, not a sub-genre (otherwise, how on Earth can both Venom & Def Leppard be included in it?). Anyway, I know they were around earlier than any other major New Wave band, but only by a bit (I mean, they did form the same year as Maiden did, after all), and they only really broke through in '79, which was just one year before the Wave arguably peaked, so I don't see how including them in it would be fundamentally different than the inclusion of Venom, even though they broke through after the movement had already reached its highest point, IMO.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:21 pm 

Blind Fury - Out of Reach is one of my favorite NWOBHM albums. It's essentially the second Satan album and much better than Suspended Sentence.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:02 pm 

Smalley wrote:
It doesn't matter if they didn't sound like any other NWoBHM band though, because that was a movement, not a sub-genre (otherwise, how on Earth can both Venom & Def Leppard be included in it?). Anyway, I know they were around earlier than any other major New Wave band, but only by a bit (I mean, they did form the same year as Maiden did, after all), and they only really broke through in '79, which was just one year before the Wave arguably peaked, so I don't see how including them in it would be fundamentally different than the inclusion of Venom, even though they broke through after the movement had already reached its highest point, IMO.[/quote]

There's a lot of Nwobhm purists out there that don't believe Venom belong to the Nwobhm. While it was a movement, it had a certain sound to it that Venom didn't have. These same people generally regard bands such as Magnum to be a part of Nwobhm despite being closer to prog rock than metal.

Edit, I wrote this on the phone, and completely fucked up the quotation.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:07 am 

Terri23 wrote:
There's a lot of Nwobhm purists out there that don't believe Venom belong to the Nwobhm. While it was a movement, it had a certain sound to it that Venom didn't have. These same people generally regard bands such as Magnum to be a part of Nwobhm despite being closer to prog rock than metal.

These people you're talking about are clearly dumb-asses.

21stCenturySkippyMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 am 

1. Angel Witch
2. Iron Maiden
3. Raven
4. Satan
5. Pagan Altar
6. Saxon
7. Tank
8. Savage
9. Venom
10. Tygers of Pan Tang
11. Witchfinder General
12. Holocaust

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:50 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
The NWOBHM Revisited comp. put out by Metal Blade is CLASSIC.

Hell yes it is! Got that on tape when it came out thanks to Lars. It'd have to be one my all-time favourite albums and it never gets old.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:05 am 

+1, that compilation was my real introduction to NWOBHM and it is superb.

Satan is my favorite NWOBHM band. Brian Ross' vocals is the sound of NWOBHM too.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:33 am 

Other than the classics one of my favorites of that era is Shiva's Firedance: NWOBHM meets early Rush, really cool and often overlooked!

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:02 am 

For some reason Tröjan are not classified as NWOBHM on this website, though they were formed and started making releases at the heyday of the "genre".

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:12 pm 

My favorites: Maiden, Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Satan. These are basically an un-breakable top four for me.

Special shout outs to Blitzkrieg’s early demos/singles, Sweet Savage’s songs “Killing Time” and “Eye of the Storm” and Savage’s “Let it Loose” song.

Holocaust has some ok tunes in their NWOBHM era but I prefer their proggy late 80s/early 90s era.

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:13 pm 

Smalley wrote:

Motorhead is more punk and rock n roll rather then NWOBHM.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:36 pm 

Somewhat unrelated. But purely from a sound perspective, we’re there any USPM 80 bands that would have fit into the NWOBHM style? Like Manila Road - had they been British - would they have fit into the NWOBHM scene?

Hope my question makes sense.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:58 pm 

Saxon, Angel Witch, Demon, Venom, honorable mention to Virtue from Oxford for their 1985 single We Stand to Fight.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:30 pm 

Why isn't Judas Priest considered on any of these lists? Don't they fit the criteria?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:50 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Why isn't Judas Priest considered on any of these lists? Don't they fit the criteria?

I don't believe they fit the generally accepted criteria, being that they pre-date the NWOBHM by a few years. With that said, it's clear to me (along with Dio-lead Sabbath, Ozzy solo, and Motorhead) that they released stellar music during this era which certainly helped shine a light on metal, overall.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:11 pm 

Satan maybe my fav with maiden !!

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:26 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

I don't believe they fit the generally accepted criteria, being that they pre-date the NWOBHM by a few years. With that said, it's clear to me (along with Dio-lead Sabbath, Ozzy solo, and Motorhead) that they released stellar music during this era which certainly helped shine a light on metal, overall.

Yes, I would agree with this. Priest were already established and successful before the NWOBHM began (usually dated as 1979) so they can't be part of the new wave of young bands which the wave brought forward on to the scene. However, obviously Priest did benefit from the wave as their own popularity also surged.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:44 pm 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Somewhat unrelated. But purely from a sound perspective, we’re there any USPM 80 bands that would have fit into the NWOBHM style? Like Manila Road - had they been British - would they have fit into the NWOBHM scene?

NWOBHM doesn't really have any certain criteria in terms of sound. It is just about the bands appeared or developed in a certain time and place. So they would fit had they been British. Also Cloven Hoof recorded basically USPM album in 1989.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:05 pm 

Necrodictator wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:

NWOBHM doesn't really have any certain criteria in terms of sound. It is just about the bands appeared or developed in a certain time and place. So they would fit had they been British. Also Cloven Hoof recorded basically USPM album in 1989.

So NWOBHM as a genre only means British metal Bands that developed post 79? Other than that - no common sonic traits amongst the bands? Pretty useless as a genre definer then - much like “grunge”

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:16 pm 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Necrodictator wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:

So NWOBHM as a genre only means British metal Bands that developed post 79? Other than that - no common sonic traits amongst the bands? Pretty useless as a genre definer then - much like “grunge”

Pretty much yes. There were bands who were sharing common sonic traits but same can be said about any other local scenes. I think NWOBHM is singled out as a separate"genre" due to its historical impact on overall development of metal.

Last edited by Necrodictator on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:21 pm 

Lots of incredible bands in this niche to be discovered. My favorites change almost daily, but at this moment I'll go with:

Warfare
Crucifixion
Voltz
Hollow Ground
Bleak House
Race Against Time
Hell
Robespierre
Wolfbane
Demon Pact
Dragonslayer
Pagan Altar
Witchfinder General
Raven
Tank

I prefer the gritty and dirty end of the spectrum when it comes to this sub-genre. Biker aesthetic is always a plus as well. Pretty interesting how huge of an explosion there was and the experimentation to be had in such a short amount of time.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:

They pre-date NWOBHM by quite a bit.

On a related note, I once came across someone who considers British Steel to be NWOBHM, but no Judas Priest album before or after it.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:37 pm 

AxeCapitol wrote:

I once talked about Fire Down Under by Riot, saying something to the effect of "NWOBHM comes to America"! Even though Riot are American, Fire Down Under blends in perfectly with the NWOBHM at the time, and came out around the time NWOBHM was at its peak. (I wasn't even born when Fire Down Under was released, but you get my point here. If I was alive when it was new, I would have said something about that in a review for it.)

By the way, would you guys consider A Time of Changes by Blitzkrieg to be an NWOBHM album? It was released in 1985, and NWOBHM was considered dead around that time, but they were a part of the NWOBHM during their "singles" era, and the album still had a sound that blended in with the NWOBHM.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:23 am 

Required Fields wrote:
By the way, would you guys consider A Time of Changes by Blitzkrieg to be an NWOBHM album? It was released in 1985, and NWOBHM was considered dead around that time, but they were a part of the NWOBHM during their "singles" era, and the album still had a sound that blended in with the NWOBHM.

It's one of those things where ya gotta ask yourself "When does the New Wave of Heavy Metal become not New?"
I'm of the mindset that the cut-off point is '82, maybe '83 at a stretch. After that its not "New" anymore and it's just good ol eavy metal.
Big fan of Blitzkrieg, that album should've been released much earlier in '81-'82.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next