Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:27 pm 

I was wondering what people think about this group, Månegarm.

My experience actually goes back to seeing them live. I was really impressed with their live performance, particularly the lead singer who was able to pull off death growls, black metal rasps and clean vocal with equal aplomb. Actually, the headliner when I saw them was Finntroll but there were much better than them.

It seems like that people don't like 'Legions of the North' and the albums after that. I think on that album they started singing in English more than Swedish. It seems to put some people off, although I think the 2015 S/T album is really good. I like some of the acoustic songs on that album and the female voices are used really nicely.

The interesting thing to note that their early albums have quite short songs, a lot of the in the 3-4 minute range which I quite like. I mean, a lot of Viking/Black/Folk groups tend to have longer songs in the 6 plus minute range.

They seem to be a group that nobody talks about. How do you rate them, top-tier, mid-tier or whatever. I like them quite a lot, actually. My favorite albums are the S/T, Nattvasen and maybe Dodsfard. Although, I think they are a pretty consistent group and I enjoy all their albums.

I don't listen to a lot of Viking metal, but they seem to hit the right spot for me.

What are your thoughts?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:30 pm 

Dodsfard through Nattvasen's a great stretch of albums. Something was lost, for me at least, beginning with Legions of the North. I don't really listen to much folk metal anymore, but I was huge into Manegarm ten or so years ago, and I still think Vargstenen (far and away their best album) is a masterpiece.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:50 pm 

Their first three albums are essentials for me. After that, they kinda got boring.

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:35 pm 

I like em a lot. I have everything from the demos to Legions of the North. Though the latter is when they clearly changed to a more simplified sound. Havets Vargar, Dodsfard, & Vargstenen would be my faves.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:33 am 

Ur själslig död is their best song ever.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:50 am 

To be honest, I could probably choose anything up to Nattvasen as my favorite. They are all really good records. You could say they dipped in quality a bit after that, but I really liked the S/T.

The thing is, not many people seem to talk about them. I think are among the better groups out there in their genre but people probably rate
other groups higher. Are they considered among the best in the Black/Folk/Viking genre?

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:47 am 

I am and was a massive fan of Havets Vargar as well as Nordstjärnans Tidsålder and Dödsfärd. I kinda always associated them with Kampfar and I am not sure why.

I’ve always had a soft spot for them even though I didn’t keep up on them, saw them 11 years ago and they were great.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 am 

Def one of my favorite bands... I don't think there's any record of theirs I dislike.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:23 pm 

They're one of those bands that when I do listen to them I usually enjoy them quite a lot, but I rarely feel the urge to do so, or I forget they exist for the longest time. So I guess I do like them, but they're also kind of forgettable too.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:03 am 

The 2003-2009 albums are what I listen to the most, once the violin-guy left it wasn't quite the same.

I usually listen to my own playlist from those 4 albums with my favorite tracks, in a flow I prefer when im out at my summerplace. Its one of my favorite bands in that setting = an outside fire by a lake in the middle of nature with no people for miles.

Their swedish lyrics are quite good too, a contrast with their cheesy almost unlistenble english lyrics.
Old-school black/thrash

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:37 am 

I have to go with the general consensus that their first material is top notch and then the quality decayed a little, still a band I'm always curious about checking when new material comes out, and always keen to go to their live shows when near me.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:23 am 

Others already pointed it out, Legions of the North is when the band unfortunately dropped off a cliff. The stuff before that is immense. This coincides with the departures of Pierre Wilhemsson and especially Janne Liljeqvist, who gave the band a large part of its then-unique sound.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:49 am 

I like their albums up to, and including, Legions of the North. I think it's still a fine album. After that, the albums may or may not have been terrible, but I'm much less interested in folk metal than I used to, so I did give them a few spins, nothing caught my attnetion, but I sometimes go back to them to listent o a few albums.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 pm 

They're from my hometown and most young metalheads looked up to them as they were the first band from around here that got to make a "real" record. Their singer used to play drums in a grindcore band called Desperator. They were fun.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:09 am 

I used to be really into them, and the one time I saw them live I thought they were really good. I don't really listen to folk metal anymore, but as far as that genre goes Månegarm are among my favourites.

Reply to topic