Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:29 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Brilliant new song from a very consistent band, criminally underrated act they are too. Im excited for the new album. I noticed a few of you saying what you thought was the weakest album, for me that would be Harnessing Ruin, anyone else agree?

Harnessing is right near the bottom for me as well. But I think I would place it ahead of Shadows In The Light for the simple fact that the title track and 'Son of Iniquity' are really great songs and I don't feel SITL has any standout moments to match them.

Hell, just for the fuck of it, here's my Immolation album rankings:

1. Close To A World Below
2. Unholy Cult
3. Failures For Gods
4. Here In After
5. Atonement
6. Dawn of Possession
7. Majesty and Decay
8. Kingdom of Conspiracy
9. Harnessing Ruin
10. Shadows In The Light

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:44 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:

i think mine would be something like this, though most of them are very close and the list would probably be a little different each time if you asked me to redo it weekly

2. Unholy Cult
3. Dawn of Possession
4. Atonement
5. Here In After
6. Majesty and Decay
7. Failures For Gods
8. Shadows In The Light
9. Harnessing Ruin
10. Kingdom of Conspiracy

as a bonus, the providence ep would probably slot at #2, and hope & horror at #7 or #8

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:58 pm 

I guess I'm kind of strange to get the most enjoyment out of their newer records. While their musicianship and atmosphere has been consistently top-notch, I just love how their more modern takes on the style seem to incorporate slightly more catchiness and accessibility into their approach, which I love.

"When the Jackals Come" or "World Agony" are absolute bangers.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:22 pm 

I’m looking forward to the new album. “Apostle” is a great track. Fifteen tracks does look to be a lot but with how solid and consistent Immolation is, I’m sure they will all be good. I tend to favor their early work but all of their albums are great and sometimes I forget how every album is good. They haven’t released a bad album yet.

~Guest 1423526
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:28 pm 

Yeah Providence is stellar

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:36 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:

My list is pretty close to yours:

2. Unholy Cult
3. Failures For Gods
4. Atonement
5. Here In After
6. Majesty and Decay
7. Dawn of Possession
8. Kingdom of Conspiracy
9. Shadows In The Light
10. Harnessing Ruin

I feel a bit bad for putting 'Dawn of Possession' a bit lower, but I think they improved upon the debut. It was actually quite hard ranking Immolation because they are so consistent. I could easily change the position of one or two above.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:54 pm 

77hjrttfred wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
Brilliant new song from a very consistent band, criminally underrated act they are too. Im excited for the new album. I noticed a few of you saying what you thought was the weakest album, for me that would be Harnessing Ruin, anyone else agree?

I agree. That album I don't go back to that much. Like you said, the band is so consistent that even that album is solid, but weaker compared to their best albums.

If i remember right the issue with Harnessing Ruin is the tempo was too slow almost through the whole album which was out of character for them and the music seemed a bit weak too. But regardless whats one bad album against 9 great ones? It was going to happen sooner or later them putting out an album which doesnt quite stand out as much as all the rest. I see a few said Kingdom is their weakest but i liked that too, hard for me to put them in a rank order really as I don't think like that, to me theyre just a very underrated death metal band with a large consistent discography

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:01 am 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
mike_87 wrote:

Harnessing is right near the bottom for me as well. But I think I would place it ahead of Shadows In The Light for the simple fact that the title track and 'Son of Iniquity' are really great songs and I don't feel SITL has any standout moments to match them.

Aw, I always thought Lying With Demons was an absolute highlight. There's such fury in that one.

Ranking Immolation albums is indeed really hard, because they've had an extremely solid recording career. The top three of my list is so close to each other that it's liable to change based on whatever I'm feeling each day. Same for each spot between 6 and 9. That said, I don't think I'd rank Atonement over any other album on any day, in spite of the absolutely brilliant artwork. Dawn of Possession is an odd one in that some days I'll rank it above the more recent albums, but at other times, I feel like it's their second weakest album. It's very atmospheric, but it doesn't have the sheer power of Majesty and Decay or the other albums of that era.

If we include the EPs, Providence would go between 7 and 8, and Hope and Horror below Atonement.

1. Unholy Cult
2. Failures for Gods
3. Close to a World Below
4. Here in After
5. Dawn of Possession
6. Majesty and Decay
7. Kingdom of Conspiracy
8. Harnessing Ruin
9. Shadows in the Light
10. Atonement

~Guest 1423526
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:15 am 

Harnessing Ruin is classic immo sound maybe too catchy and melodic when Kigdom of conspiracy sound different like ten thousand death metal bands and generic.
Kingdom is the No Prayers for the dying of Immolation maybe don’t bad like that ..

Harnessing Ruin is a great and underrated album songs like Swarm to terror,title track,my own enemy and the closer have all the obscurity,dissonant and doomish violent of previous songs…

“I’ve sacrificate my life for you,and given everything I was….
Or forget I was your son ?

One day he will deserve more respect

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:41 am 

Apostle sounds fucking devastating. Overall I'm stoked - yeah, 15 songs sounds like a lot and there's definitely the chance for some filler. But at the same time, I'm not worried since a bad album for Immolation is a stellar record for many other death metal bands. Like, look at what you're comparing it to!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:20 am 

Unholy Cult is so underrated, its their best album for sure.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:01 pm 

My Ranking:

2. Here In After
3. Unholy Cult
4. Dawn of Possession
5. Atonement
6. Failures For Gods
7. Shadows In The Light
8. Harnessing Ruin
9. Majesty and Decay
10. Kingdom of Conspiracy

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:37 pm 

It will have been 4 years since Immolation last released an album, and folks are complaining about the album possibly being too long or having too many tracks. Geez. The next single should be called 'Ye Of Little Faith.' This band doesn't have a single minute of bad music in their discography, and have been around for over 20 years. Do you really think they're going to start now?
If 15 songs in 50-ish minutes of music from one of the best death metal bands since the invention of death metal is too much...I just don't know, I just don't know. Besides, no one is forcing anyone to listen to an entire album straight through. That's what Side A and Side B's are for.
Tangentially, this trend of complaining that albums are too long just seems like nonsense to me. A song can be too long, but an album? Just skip the songs you don't like.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:21 pm 

Presumably some of the tracks will be intros/interludes? I mean, 52 minutes divided by 15 songs comes to less than three-and-a-half minutes per song, a bit less than a typical Immo song length... Majesty and Decay had a couple interlude tracks, so I could see this being similar.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:24 pm 

From what it looks like, "Abandoned" is an opener and "And the Flames Wept" is an interlude.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:18 pm 

eViLbOrIs wrote:
It will have been 4 years since Immolation last released an album, and folks are complaining about the album possibly being too long or having too many tracks. Geez.

I honestly don't think people are complaining. They are just pointing out that 15 tracks is a lot. As others have pointed out, probably a couple of those tracks are interludes/intros, so it's all good.

I think just about everyone is looking forward to the album. :)

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:42 pm 

77hjrttfred wrote:
eViLbOrIs wrote:
It will have been 4 years since Immolation last released an album, and folks are complaining about the album possibly being too long or having too many tracks. Geez.

I honestly don't think people are complaining. They are just pointing out that 15 tracks is a lot. As others have pointed out, probably a couple of those tracks are interludes/intros, so it's all good.

I think just about everyone is looking forward to the album. :)

From the lengths it looks like two of them are interludes. So that still leaves 13 tracks of new material.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:26 am 

While we are talking about Immolation, whatever happened to Alex Hernandez? What was the reason given for him leaving the band? He was obviously a very talented drummer. I wonder what he is up to nowadays?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:11 am 

eViLbOrIs wrote:
Besides, no one is forcing anyone to listen to an entire album straight through. That's what Side A and Side B's are for.
Tangentially, this trend of complaining that albums are too long just seems like nonsense to me. A song can be too long, but an album? Just skip the songs you don't like.

I agree with your general point, but to be pedantic, these options aren't strictly inclusive for all media. Skipping songs is a feature of CD and digital formats, and side A and B are a feature of vinyl - which doesn't have the feature of skipping songs. :grin:
77hjrttfred wrote:
While we are talking about Immolation, whatever happened to Alex Hernandez? What was the reason given for him leaving the band? He was obviously a very talented drummer. I wonder what he is up to nowadays?

A very unique drummer. He gave them a lot of character, and it seemed that he was perfecting his drumming more and more with each album. I wonder if Father, You're Not a Father would be such a classic, if it wasn't for Alex's unique drum parts.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:16 am 

"Close to a World Below" sounds like it came straight from the deepest pits of Hell, and I certainly consider the drumming of Alex Hernandez to be a major reason why. Almost gives off a crackling fire kind of sound at times, which is probably a weird way to describe the drums but whatever.

~Guest 1423526
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:55 pm 

Craig Smilowski work on Here in After is memorable too…

With Tom Wilkinson was the best line up..

With good peace of Alex

Nicencold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
eViLbOrIs wrote:
Besides, no one is forcing anyone to listen to an entire album straight through. That's what Side A and Side B's are for.

I agree with your general point, but to be pedantic, these options aren't strictly inclusive for all media. Skipping songs is a feature of CD and digital formats, and side A and B are a feature of vinyl - which doesn't have the feature of skipping songs. :grin:
77hjrttfred wrote:

A very unique drummer. He gave them a lot of character, and it seemed that he was perfecting his drumming more and more with each album. I wonder if Father, You're Not a Father would be such a classic, if it wasn't for Alex's unique drum parts.

I spoke about missing Alex on page 1 of this thread, and yes, it hasn't been the same since he left. Dude, was unique, he threw fills like a hurricane and had endless stamina live. I saw them during the Unholy Cult tour in Virginia on a Tuesday night. There were maybe 20 people, including staff, in attendance, and Alex played like he was at Shea Stadium before a sold-out crowd. I never saw a drummer hit so hard that I thought the kit would fall apart. Like I had said, Steve is a cool dude and certainly tries each record, I just don't think he's as naturally talented. He's also a bit of a soft hitter. If I recall correctly, Alex left to focus on his personal life and/or family.

sgtrobo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:48 am 

Immolation is comfortably my favorite extreme metal band and is one of the few that I put on the same pedestal as bands like Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, and King Diamond.

15 songs definitely points to intros/outros/interludes, and a running length of 52 minutes isn't that bad, although it's a little longer than one would expect.

As for the top 10, it varies for me, and always has. CTaWB is the only one that stays in the same place (#1), the others tend to move about based on mood

1. Close to a World Below
2a. Unholy Cult
2b. Atonement
2c. Majesty and Decay
5a. Failures for Gods
5b. Harnessing Ruin
5c. Here In After
8a. Dawn of Possession
8b. Shadows in the Light
8c. Kingdom of Conspiracy

and "at worst", they have released nothing under a 7.5/10 for me

I found out their tour with Imperial Triumphant and Mortiferum will touch down at a club that is, quite literally, a 15 minute walk from where I work, so I am looking forward to that, to say the least

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:40 pm 

Here's the second single:

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:46 pm 

The new song is definitely good but I think Apostle was definitely better. Perhaps Apostle was too strong of a song to release first because I think I would be more impressed if they had released this new one first and then Apostle later.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:50 pm 

I think it's just as good as Apostle, it just showcases a different facet of their sound. This one places the focus much more on the melodic and atmospheric side of the band, which I like. I think it's definitely an indication that the album as a whole will be very diverse in sound.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
I think it's just as good as Apostle, it just showcases a different facet of their sound. This one places the focus much more on the melodic and atmospheric side of the band, which I like. I think it's definitely an indication that the album as a whole will be very diverse in sound.

Agreed. I think it was sick!

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:06 pm 

Love the second new song, our death metal heroes from New York are about to drop us another masterpiece without a doubt

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:55 am 

The second single is great, gave off strong "When the Jackals Come" vibes. Hope there's more melodic/atmospheric stuff like this on the album. Can't wait.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:40 pm 

Second single sounds very cool as well! There's definitely a more brutal bent on Ross's vocals on these.

~Guest 1455291
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:11 am 

I'm about to check the second single out right now. The first one was a banger, I'm curious to see what else they'll bring to the table. Considering the album is 15 tracks long, I think it may give similar vibes to Aeon's God Ends Here. That one had 16 songs - probably 5 of them were instrumental interludes.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:18 pm 

I've heard the album and it's great. I'd say that Apostle is probably the best song, but many others come close. Also, it gets better as it goes on. The first 4-ish songs while not weak are definitely not as good as the rest. Once you get to Blooded (track 6) the album just straight rules practically until the end.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:23 am 

Listening it to the first time now, and it sounds killer!

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:20 am 

2 listens in, and this is fucking great. I love this band!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:06 pm 

Just gave the album a listen. Really like what I hear! :thumbsup:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:33 pm 

Excellent album, there's something happening here!

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:38 pm 

Only on my second listen but it's so fucking good so far.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:38 pm 

This is sounding sick! "Noose of Horns" is immense. Stoked to catch 'em in a couple weeks with Mortiferum!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:57 pm 

Gave this a listen on the way to and from work today. Really enjoy it, and feel like the album goes by fast, despite the run time. Dolan's vocals in particular sound extra mean and nasty. Really great album from a long running act.

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:04 pm 

Just finished my second listen. Yep, it's as good as I was expecting. And by "good" I really mean FUCKING EXCELLENT! The album's length doesn't bother me at all either, those 52 minutes just fly right by.

I highly doubt there will be a better death metal album released this year.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next