Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:09 am 

not gonna lie, I first heard of Budgie via the metallica covers ...and discovered a band that merits a good look into :)

Spoiler: show

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:52 am 

The Metallica covers are the most popular, but let's not forget the Maiden one, and Van Halen would cover them during the club days.

There's even a cover from Soundgarden.

Budgie are great if you can get past the vocals. And when you think about it, their quality run (even with ups and downs) lasted as long as Sabbath's did.

This is from 1980 and it fucking owns:

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Last edited by KaiKasparek on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:47 am 

This was unfortunate to hear. I just ran through Budgie's discography a couple weeks ago. Those first five albums are among the best in protometal and some of the later seventies stuff stands out as well.

An Ferbasach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:50 pm 

Sad to hear this. Budgie are probably my favourite band, outside of Black Sabbath, from that early Metal/Hard Rock scene. They were one of the most consistently heavy and quality bands of the time.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:05 pm 

Yeah this is a huge shame. I have to admit that I am not too familiar with their catalogue outside of the hits but I did listen to their first two albums earlier when I heard the news. Great band.

Pincushion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:32 pm 

Big fan of Budgie. And Burke Shelley was the one that made them truly unique. RIP

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:38 pm 

Great band. Their 70s material is impecKable (pun intended).

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:44 pm 

:( This sucks, I know his health had been touch and go for the past few years, and I had just finally gotten around to listening to their first album all the way through about a week ago. He was an excellent front man and a solid bassist, at least as good as Phil Lynott. R.I.P.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 pm 

What a bummer -- Budgie was definitely one of those bands that bridged the gap for me between the classic rock and hard rock I grew up listening to with my dad and the heavy metal I was discovering on my own. This weekend I'll have to meet up with my old man and give a spin to Never Turn Your Back on a Friend

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:47 pm 

Incredible band. Honestly one that I would rank as an all time favorite at that. They made music that was unique and full of creativity. Definitely going to be marathoning their discography in the coming weeks. Honestly don't think they ever released a truly bad record.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:53 pm 

The most important early 70s metal band NOT named Sabbath or Purple. This one hurts. Their incredible music will live on forever whether my neighbors like it or not. RIP Burke.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:57 pm 

I tried some of their stuff a few years back. Ought to have given em more plays. I remember really liking Impeckable. RIP.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:14 pm 

Saw them live in the late 2000s with Craig Goldy (who brought back some of that Tony Bourge style, IMO) and they were awesome. Burke said in 2020 that he was planning to release a final album (using vocal tracks he'd recorded before he became ill). I hope that can become a reality.

I'll always be grateful to my old man for introducing me to Budgie way back when.

R.I.P.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:31 pm 

Favorite Budgie records? I would rank their discography somewhere along these lines:

1) In For the Kill
2) S/T
3) Squawk
4) Never Turn Your Back on a Friend
5) Impeckable
6) Power Supply
7) Bandolier
8) If I Were Brittania I'd Waive the Rules
9) You're All Living in Cuckooland
10) Nightflight
11) Deliver Us from Evil

My introduction to the band was finding Bandolier in a record store and blind buying it because of the ridiculous cover art juxtaposed with the band name. Had to hear it, and loved it. From there I hunted the rest of their output down.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:13 pm 

Their first five albums are staples of my listening rotation. Burke Shelley and Tony Bourke had some sort of magic going...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:52 pm 

Why did I think he died a couple of days ago? Spooky!

My only real connection with Budgie is their fantastic cover art.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:05 am 

Another great down. The wicked Metallica covers back in the day got me interested in them. Definitely one of the coolest bands of the 70's. Their first 5 albums are bloody cool, In For The Kill and Never Turn Your Back On A Friend are my favourites and I would recommend them as the place to start for anybody curious to check em out.
R.I.P. Burke Shelley.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm 

Fuck, I first heard Budgie while playing Brutal Legend years ago. Their best stuff goes toe-to-toe with 'Sabbath and Deep Purple for me. RIP Burke Shelley.

It feels like we've lost a lot of frontmen from classic underground acts these past 12 months. Eric Wagner's death was clearly just the start.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:06 pm 

Tried their first album a bit ago. Exactly my style. Incredible bass playing and the whole thing was just that groove-laden, inimitable style you got back then... love it. Can't find a lot of the other ones via Amazon but I'll track em down somehow. Discogs maybe.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:58 am 

This is one of the bands that I don't really get why they never got bigger. They where pretty much at the right place at the right time to be part of the early wave of heavy metal, and they released good music consistently. Did people just dismiss them as a joke band because of the whole bird gimmick?

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:17 am 

I first heard them a couple of years after I heard the covers on Garage Inc. After having been used to Hetfield's vocals, those first few times listening to the original of Breadfan felt amazingly otherworldly. Over time they became a top 10 band for me. While I didn't get quite as many fav songs out of them, they certainly go toe to toe with Sabbath or any other band album-wise. Never Turn Your Back on a Friend and the s/t are my favourites, though Hammer and Tongs from In for the Kill is my top Budgie tune.

Very thankful I went and saw them in 2008 as it's still one of the best concerts I've ever been to. With just a little regret that I could've travelled again and seen them in 2009 and didn't.

Megadeth covered Melt the Ice Away a few years back.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:55 am 

laxskinn wrote:
This is one of the bands that I don't really get why they never got bigger. They where pretty much at the right place at the right time to be part of the early wave of heavy metal, and they released good music consistently. Did people just dismiss them as a joke band because of the whole bird gimmick?

I think they just didn't write enough big hits to really blow up like JP or 'Sabbath did. They've always had a decent following underground though, and I think the volume of bands who've covered them says a lot about how influencial they ended up being. They're not super radio-friendly, so I imagine they had a hard time growing outside of their core audience.

"Too weird to live, too rare to die."

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Tried their first album a bit ago. Exactly my style. Incredible bass playing and the whole thing was just that groove-laden, inimitable style you got back then... love it. Can't find a lot of the other ones via Amazon but I'll track em down somehow. Discogs maybe.

You are in for a fun trip when you track down their next 4! Truly a special run of albums.

Sunbuilder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:17 pm 

Ah, this is sad news. I've been appreciating Budgie a lot more last year.

Like many others, I got into Budgie from the Metallica covers. My favorite album and the one I listen to mostly is Never Turn your back on a Friend and I consider it their best record. I have it on vinyl as well which I'm glad about. I also like Budgie's self-titled debut and In for the Kill. The other albums are alright, but I fell off the train after Power Supply. It had some cool riffs, but most of that album wasn't very interesting for me and I never got into anything after. I know that he was getting up there in age and has had health issues for a while. It's always sad news when a legend passes away. Budgie absolutely deserves the recognition they should get for their contributions to rock and metal! Rest in peace, Burke.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:35 pm 

Heartbreaking, Budgie was an amazing band and Shelley had such a good voice.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
laxskinn wrote:

I think they just didn't write enough big hits to really blow up like JP or 'Sabbath did. They've always had a decent following underground though, and I think the volume of bands who've covered them says a lot about how influencial they ended up being. They're not super radio-friendly, so I imagine they had a hard time growing outside of their core audience.

"Too weird to live, too rare to die."

I'm kinda shocked I Ain't No Mountain wasn't a huge mainstream hit for them. It's got a feel to it that a lot of 70s pop hits did. Same with I Can't See My Feelings.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:45 am 

Digging Squawk too. More basic rock and roll in some ways but it's still such a lovely example of this noodly, groovy 70s rock style I love. I like that they didn't really seem to try to be cool. They were so obviously themselves. An inimical sound.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I like that they didn't really seem to try to be cool. They were so obviously themselves. An inimical sound.

This is it. This is a large part of why I dig those first 5 albums so much.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:59 am 

It's as heavy and interesting as Sabbath or Purple but doesn't put on airs for a lot of the time, it's obviously just some guys doing whatever they want.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:19 am 

I'm looking forward to your reaction to the next 3 albums, thats when they really get cookin imo. Hard boogie rock, with bizarre trippy sections and neat little ballads, really unique stuff, fearless. When I first started getting into them (about 25 years ago, fuck I'm gettin old!), it was a real mindfuck wrapping my head around those ballads and trippy sections.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:
I'm kinda shocked I Ain't No Mountain wasn't a huge mainstream hit for them. It's got a feel to it that a lot of 70s pop hits did. Same with I Can't See My Feelings.

I got a surprise in 2020 when I finally learnt I Ain't No Mountain is a cover!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:23 pm 

"Never Turn Your Back on a Friend" was some mindblowing heaviness, and "In for the Kill!" seems to be the same - listening to the 9 minute cut "Zoom Club" now. It's crazy I missed this for so long.

I love that they'll title their songs these insane titles and then the lyrics are just rambling about lost love and women and stuff. Pretty funny.

Trying "Bandolier" and this may be the best one yet. Love the eclectic flourishes of the instrumentation. Truly imaginative groove.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:01 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's crazy I missed this for so long.

that's what I thought after fully discovering nearly a decade ago. It made no sense to me that they weren't more popular, and that I'd overlooked them for so long.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:30 pm 

I had to grab Bandolier off Amazon even for like $25 for a lone CD. Just too good.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:48 pm 

There's an excellent box set available called "The MCA Albums 1973-1975" which includes "In For The Kill", "Never Turn Your..." & "Bandolier". All 3 as really nice seperate digis that replicate the old vinyl, all held in a nice hard cardboard sleeve/box, with a cool booklet. Great collection, much nicer than the old 5 disc Repertoire Records box set. Anyone interested can find it cheap (3 albums for the price of 1) on EBay and Discogs.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 pm 

^ Good call, I own that as well. I've also had good luck finding their vinyl in used sections of record stores for cheap, although that might have changed now seeing as vinyl is the "in" thing these days.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:30 am 

^I bought that 5 disc box back in the midish 90s and then got all the other albums on CD (I used to have a original copy of In For The Kill on vinyl too). But the albums after Bandolier never really did it for me, so they got the boot (worth a few bucks these days dammit).
I got the 3 disc MCA box a while ago and like I said its far superior to the Repertoire box. Been meaning to get the other reissues for ages now (procrastinating since '04!) and Burkes death has kicked that into action. I'll get the later albums up to and including Power Supply, cause I need to give them another chance, the last 2 albums from the 80s are rubbish and will not be required.
None of the bonus tracks look very interesting, tho I will get Bandolier again cause it has a cool b-side called Honey attached to it. Collecting is so much fun until you look at your bank account...

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:55 am 

DeadKid wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:

I got a surprise in 2020 when I finally learnt I Ain't No Mountain is a cover!

No shit! :lol: You learn something new everyday!

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

Reply to topic