Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:41 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Not a big fan of neo-pizza party thrash but I'm sure I'll enjoy neo-modernist deep-dish variety when someone finally figures out what that sounds like.

This. Hehe.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:57 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of historical revisionism and "well these DMU edgelords just can't tolerate any fun" dismissals of legitimate criticisms of pizza thrash acts. "Pizza thrash", as a whole, refers to a specific type of derivative, uninteresting modern thrash act (typically an Exodus, Anthrax, or Nuclear Assault clone) with poor riffing and anemic, repetitive songwriting whose music is more of a hollow, uninspired pastiche of their influences (as opposed to building on what their influences did), whose lyrics are virtually always some blend of thrash cliches, unfunny humor, and namedropping of cultural media. "It's supposed to be fun!" is such a common defense for these acts and it holds no water - it doesn't matter how fun you are if your material is wack.

it wouldn't be such a problem if the pizza thrash bands didn't so consistently meet the stereotype. it doesn't have to mean "this sucks", but so many of "pizza thrash" acts match their fun aesthetic and image with subpar, snooze-worthy songwriting. that's why i specifically singled out Municipal Waste and Gama Bomb, as they do a better job of remembering to write interesting riffs and hooks.

Can't argue this at all, but I will add that most of the heralded re-thrash bands (and the current trend du jour of blackened thrash and deathrash retreads) can be summed up as "we sure do like Sodom."

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:07 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of historical revisionism and "well these DMU edgelords just can't tolerate any fun" dismissals of legitimate criticisms of pizza thrash acts. "Pizza thrash", as a whole, refers to a specific type of derivative, uninteresting modern thrash act (typically an Exodus, Anthrax, or Nuclear Assault clone) with poor riffing and anemic, repetitive songwriting whose music is more of a hollow, uninspired pastiche of their influences (as opposed to building on what their influences did), whose lyrics are virtually always some blend of thrash cliches, unfunny humor, and namedropping of cultural media. "It's supposed to be fun!" is such a common defense for these acts and it holds no water - it doesn't matter how fun you are if your material is wack.

it wouldn't be such a problem if the pizza thrash bands didn't so consistently meet the stereotype. it doesn't have to mean "this sucks", but so many of "pizza thrash" acts match their fun aesthetic and image with subpar, snooze-worthy songwriting. that's why i specifically singled out Municipal Waste and Gama Bomb, as they do a better job of remembering to write interesting riffs and hooks.

Can't argue this at all, but I will add that most of the heralded re-thrash bands (and the current trend du jour of blackened thrash and deathrash retreads) can be summed up as "we sure do like Sodom."

I don't really think this is true at all. Most of the bands from the 00s thrash revival were way more influenced by Bay Area Thrash or some of the more extreme thrash bands (i.e. Evile's pretty obvious debt to Metallica, Warbringer being influenced by Demolition Hammer etc.). The prog/tech thrash stuff mostly takes cues from Voivod and Coroner, and the blackened thrash stuff is equally informed by more contemporary bands like Destroyer 666, Absu and Witchery as they are the old Teutonic classics. Even with deathrash there's a ton of influence from bands like Sadus (especially in Chilean bands like Ripper and Mental Devastation), Demolition Hammer, Devastation, Possessed, early Sepultura and Morbid Saint. I'd say the only bands that really go heavy on the Sodom influence are Toxic Holocaust and some Norwegian thrash bands like Deathhammer.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:

In defense of some of the less popular and prolific members of the 2000s humor-driven crossover/thrash revival, if you're playing within the same concise and stripped down formula that Municipal Waste was known for, there are only so many things you can throw into each song. I've tended to favor thrash bands that can at least make a regular habit of going past the 3 minute mark minimum, and while I do tend to prefer bands that get a bit more elaborate and technical, there is a certain charm to bands that keep it simple. I think the main problem with the so-called "pizza thrash" contingent of the 2000s thrash revival is that it became too saturated too quickly and you ended up with a lot of bands sounding way too similar, which I suppose is a risk when you have a style that is considerably easier to replicate than the sort of stuff that Vektor does. I didn't really delve into a lot of these bands until a couple years after the craze had waned a bit in the early 2010s and I tended to sample their music in small to moderate doses, which may be part of why many of them don't come off as weak as you suggest.

To be clear, I prefer meatier stuff like what Warbringer and Power Trip brought to the table, but I don't think the more comedic stuff was all that bad.

while on one hand, this is right, and probably the big downfall of pizza-thrash, that's not really what i mean. i've said for a while that this style of thrash was really fun in the late 2000s when it was big, there was the collective realization in the early 2010s that this was all these bands had, and it quickly fell apart. it was a scene of bands worshipping a specific era of thrash metal without acknowledging the eras that came before or after. basically, a whole wave of bands stuck in 1987 without allowing themselves to progress to the sounds bands developed in the late 80s and early 90s: that is to say, a maturing of sound, songwriting, and melody.

but all of that isn't strictly necessary. as we've said in this thread, Municipal Waste has made a career of that sound and a refusal to get brainier in their material. but their songwriting is strong enough to make it work. i'm fine with bands sticking to a specific, limited, generic sound if they can do it well. but most of those bands weren't even able to make that happen. it was all riffing and 80s vibes with no songwriting to prop it up. again, this was fine when the novelty of thrash returning was fresh, but as these bands became established they needed to at least meet a bare minimum. i know this is like the third time i've bigged up Gama Bomb in this thread, but they provide such a good example:

this song is total pizza-thrash. it's dumb and silly, but it's WELL WRITTEN! it has an actual chorus that is melodic and catchy. i'm literally talking about the bare minimum of composition here. there's something specific about pizza-thrash that made the percentage of "boring, totally non-captivating riffing with nothing to prop it up" much higher than the more serious thrash bands. the metal scene is so varied and fragmented that these days you can really get away with writing whatever you want without worrying about the broader scene. you don't NEED to be serious thrash with a heavy focus on fresh songwriting and mixing in new ideas because there's totally a niche for mid-80s brain-dead riffing. i just want that brain-dead riffing to also be paired with hooks, choruses, and the basics of songwriting. if the Frontiers "generic, by the books power metal" shit can exist, so can "mid 80s ST and Anthrax worship".

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:16 pm 

Gama Bomb is a cut above because they're much better songwriters and riffwriters than most of their peers, they actually are funny from time to time, and they can also be totally serious and make it convincing (they have some surprisingly effective anti-fascist tracks, for example). Phil Byrne is honestly a big part of it, his range is nothing special but he's unique, charismatic, and has a knack for memorable phrasing.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:49 pm 

Outside of Municipal Waste, there isn’t a single “pizza thrash” band that’s stuck with me. But the thing is, with MW, their songwriting and overall sound is good enough to make them enjoyable even without the humor (which works, I think). There’s plenty of new bands in thrash worth listening to, but none under the “pizza” banner outside of the aforementioned group.

Lich_King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:28 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
"Pizza thrash", like others pointed out, is typically a pejorative moniker for crossover thrash metal of the 2000's. In my opinion, the mokier itself gives off such a strong "No fun allowed" aura to the people using it. Like it's a bad thing to play straightforward, fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Yep. I don't get as bent out of shape about it as I used to, but people lumping us in with the pizza bands used to bug me a lot more- there's a huuuuge underground cache of food-based silly thrash bands that don't give a crap about anything including riffs, and that's where I draw the line. Lyrical content can be silly, whatever, it doesn't matter. The riffs need to want me dead or it's not worthwhile. Just my take though.

DMac77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:36 pm 

I was a big fan of the first few Municipal Waste records, and I fucking love Iron Reagan. I think the genre backlash is something you can see in every genre, especially metal which often relies a lot on worshipping the classic sounds. The whole New Wave of Trad Metal stuff can have some amazing gems but also a lot of derivation. I think it just comes down to the listener. If you're super keen on that style then you'll be forgiving of stuff that's not as original.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:48 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
But pizza is a curious choice, you might as well call a lot of it "beer thrash".

as opposed to all the slayers and metallicas that people only enjoy sober?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:40 am 

mirons wrote:
The better ones like Municipal Waste can be a lot of fun in a live setting. Other than that, not really worth listening to.

I pretty much stop at the Waste. Gama Bomb are fun and fucking fast, and I dug the first Violator album when it came out, but yeah, the whole scene quickly lost interest for me.

Chinese_Whispers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:30 am 

I believe the correct term is “Radioactive Pizza Thrash”.

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:18 am 

It's really a terrible 80s meme worship subgenre. There are lots of dumb lyrical bents about how cool the 80s were and aping riffs from good bands as kind of a wink and nudge to people who will listen to anything as long as it's "thrash." Outside of a rare example, most of these bands have no personality to their songwriting, generic and painfully boring vocal approaches, and just a general feeling of cheap imitation designer clothes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:15 am 

I've never really understood the hate for newer thrash bands. So what if the bands sound just like the 80's bands? Metal bands have been copying each other since time immemorial. So many modern death metal bands all sound like one another and they all ape Incantation and the Finnish scene and nobody has a problem with any of that, but if a band has riffs inspired by Exodus? Holy shit! What unoriginal garbage! Give me a break guys. If you don't like thrash just say so but "it's derivative" is a pretty dumb thing to say about a metal band in general. To some extent all metal bands are derivative in some way.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:35 am 

Lagartija wrote:
mirons wrote:
The better ones like Municipal Waste can be a lot of fun in a live setting. Other than that, not really worth listening to.

I pretty much stop at the Waste. Gama Bomb are fun and fucking fast, and I dug the first Violator album when it came out, but yeah, the whole scene quickly lost interest for me.

Coincidentally both of the other two you mention are among those few "pizza" thrash bands I've seen live, but none of them did much for me. However, Violator spent so much time complaining about how Bolsonaro makes their lives hard that they might be too politically engaged to qualify for this thread.

Speed Metal Terror wrote:
It's really a terrible 80s meme worship subgenre. There are lots of dumb lyrical bents about how cool the 80s were and aping riffs from good bands as kind of a wink and nudge to people who will listen to anything as long as it's "thrash." Outside of a rare example, most of these bands have no personality to their songwriting, generic and painfully boring vocal approaches, and just a general feeling of cheap imitation designer clothes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

To be honest, I am not sure which one I'd choose between generic and painfully boring, and painfully unique yet barely listenable vocal approaches (the latter being quite common among the golden era bands).

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:23 pm 

mirons wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
However, Violator spent so much time complaining about how Bolsonaro makes their lives hard that they might be too politically engaged to qualify for this thread.

There are also all of their politically fueled lyrics. I'm not sure why anybody would refer to them as "pizza thrash" to begin with.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:14 pm 

joppek wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
But pizza is a curious choice, you might as well call a lot of it "beer thrash".

Yeah, it's certainly ubiquitous in the metal scene, I even complained about it in the unpopular opinions thread at one point. Alcoholica and all. Yet, these bands really take it up a level, like featuring a fucking kegger.

Spoiler: show

draconiondevil wrote:
I've never really understood the hate for newer thrash bands. So what if the bands sound just like the 80's bands? Metal bands have been copying each other since time immemorial. So many modern death metal bands all sound like one another and they all ape Incantation and the Finnish scene and nobody has a problem with any of that, but if a band has riffs inspired by Exodus? Holy shit! What unoriginal garbage! Give me a break guys. If you don't like thrash just say so but "it's derivative" is a pretty dumb thing to say about a metal band in general. To some extent all metal bands are derivative in some way.

Yep, there's relatively little that's actually new in metal, most of the main ideas had already been experimented with by the 90s. Mostly it's just about whether you like each style and band's particular mixture of the ingredients. It's actually kind of a derivative take to just pan something as "derivative", a rather lazy way of argumentation.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:45 pm 

mirons wrote:
Coincidentally both of the other two you mention are among those few "pizza" thrash bands I've seen live, but none of them did much for me. However, Violator spent so much time complaining about how Bolsonaro makes their lives hard that they might be too politically engaged to qualify for this thread.

Oh I've seen Gama Bomb twice and they weren't very good (mainly due to the vocalist) but 'Citizen brain' is a cool album. If Violator got political that's fine with me and a good reason to check them out again.

PrincessScarlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm 

I loathe pizza thrash. These bands took thrash and stripped away everything that made it great. However, I think it's important to note that the blame can't solely be put on Municipal Waste and their elk, as even when you go back to the tail end of thrash's hayday in the late 80s/early 90s, there's a bunch of crap 3rd rate bands like Evildead or Gothic Slam that if they didn't existed back when true thrash was happening, you'd mistake for a generic mid-2000s band.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
mirons wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
However, Violator spent so much time complaining about how Bolsonaro makes their lives hard that they might be too politically engaged to qualify for this thread.

There are also all of their politically fueled lyrics. I'm not sure why anybody would refer to them as "pizza thrash" to begin with.

100% agreed there. You can't just label all thrash bands formed after the year 2000 as "pizza thrash". Violator has barely anything in common with the bands that the people in this thread are complaining about.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:07 pm 

PrincessScarlet wrote:
I loathe pizza thrash. These bands took thrash and stripped away everything that made it great. However, I think it's important to note that the blame can't solely be put on Municipal Waste and their elk, as even when you go back to the tail end of thrash's hayday in the late 80s/early 90s, there's a bunch of crap 3rd rate bands like Evildead or Gothic Slam that if they didn't existed back when true thrash was happening, you'd mistake for a generic mid-2000s band.

The takes honestly just keep getting worse :lol:

Evildead is an outstanding band - easily one of the best thrash bands ever. The songwriting on Annihilation of Civilization is some of the most unique in thrash metal.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:11 pm 

DMac77 wrote:
I was a big fan of the first few Municipal Waste records, and I fucking love Iron Reagan. I think the genre backlash is something you can see in every genre, especially metal which often relies a lot on worshipping the classic sounds. The whole New Wave of Trad Metal stuff can have some amazing gems but also a lot of derivation. I think it just comes down to the listener. If you're super keen on that style then you'll be forgiving of stuff that's not as original.

I really like Iron Reagan, but I do not consider them a pizza thrash band.

DMac77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
DMac77 wrote:

I really like Iron Reagan, but I do not consider them a pizza thrash band.

I mostly just assumed based on the Municipal Waste connection.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:31 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
joppek wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Yeah, it's certainly ubiquitous in the metal scene, I even complained about it in the unpopular opinions thread at one point. Alcoholica and all. Yet, these bands really take it up a level, like featuring a fucking kegger.

Spoiler: show

FWIW, I'd always heard, and used, the term "party thrash" for stuff like Municipal Waste. It's still a better way to describe that kind of thrash, which is overtly high energy and leans more into the "we're all fucked anyway so let's have fun" slant of nihilism. It really wasn't until the early 2010s, when party thrash was overstating its welcome for a bit too long (seriously, guys, most of us have work in the morning) that I heard "pizza thrash" being used.

darkeningday wrote:

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:12 pm 

For anyone interested in some REAL pizza thrash: https://pizzadeathband666.bandcamp.com/ ... e-of-death

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:29 pm 

The problem with a lot of this kind of stuff is this:

Those of us who were there, see these bands as but a pale imitation of what came out in the mid/late 1980s. Or, at best, a decent, entertaining parody of that style.

And those who weren't around in the mid/late 1980s, hear these bands and think, "Yeah, this sounds okay, but the black metal bands are faster and the death metal bands are heavier, and more technical, so what's the point here?"

The original bands who influenced "Party Pizza Thrash" as it's called, played at a time when pop culture was defined by the likes of Whitney Houston, Rick Astley, and bubblegum keyboard pop (e.g. Mr. Mister, A-Ha) and "Metal" was Bon-Jovi and Motley Crue. Along came Exodus and Slayer and it was like a swift kick in the face to all that plastic pastel-shaded 80's pop culture. These new bands don't exist in that world, so of course they aren't going to make the same impression.

You need great, kick ass riffs, heavy production, great songwriting, and energy, same with any style of music really, and simply trying too hard to pay tribute to a certain sound from a certain bygone era is only going to get you so far.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:32 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
100% agreed there. You can't just label all thrash bands formed after the year 2000 as "pizza thrash". Violator has barely anything in common with the bands that the people in this thread are complaining about.

Well they played on a split called 'Fast food thash metal' and their first album was all 'United for thrash', 'Addicted to mosh', 'Ordered to thrash'. . . Don't see much difference with Gama Bomb there... Not saying it's bad mind you, I dig both bands.
Re. Oxenkiller, I think you nailed it. I was very surprised to see people on here saying "thrash sucks", but as you say, it's a generational thing. I don't really like Possessed or 'Pleasure to kill', but older friends of mine swear by them, along with Venom. I can imagine the impact they all had when they came out, we are definitely spoiled for choice and ease of access nowadays...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:37 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
For anyone interested in some REAL pizza thrash: https://pizzadeathband666.bandcamp.com/ ... e-of-death

That's fucking brilliant! 'Rise of the anchovy' and 'Excruciating painapple', new fan right here :-D

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 pm 

I remember in another thread I accused GWAR of being a band that's too obsessed with image and other superficial things. Now this thread is giving me a better idea on who to recognize as such.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:28 pm 

Wait, you mean the band that dresses up like aliens and uses b-movie props on stage is focused on their image?!?!?!

darkeningday wrote:

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:52 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
I remember in another thread I accused GWAR of being a band that's too obsessed with image and other superficial things. Now this thread is giving me a better idea on who to recognize as such.

It's hardly unique to this scene though. Plenty of image-obsessed black metal bands, and scattered other bands in various subgenres.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:03 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

Well they played on a split called 'Fast food thash metal' and their first album was all 'United for thrash', 'Addicted to mosh', 'Ordered to thrash'. . . Don't see much difference with Gama Bomb there... Not saying it's bad mind you, I dig both bands.
Re. Oxenkiller, I think you nailed it. I was very surprised to see people on here saying "thrash sucks", but as you say, it's a generational thing. I don't really like Possessed or 'Pleasure to kill', but older friends of mine swear by them, along with Venom. I can imagine the impact they all had when they came out, we are definitely spoiled for choice and ease of access nowadays...

Yeah I suppose some of the subject matter is similar, but even the old guard have songs about how great metal and thrash in particular is. Metallica with the song "Whiplash", for example. I think thrash has always been cheesy but for some reason people think it's just the new bands who are? And like you I like most thrash that I hear and don't really understand the hate for it nowadays.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:25 am 

Lagartija wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

That's fucking brilliant! 'Rise of the anchovy' and 'Excruciating painapple', new fan right here :-D

I've been spinning this for the past two days. Insanely fun and catchy. So good I think it would have made my list.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:16 am 

This band sucks, but they be spitting fax doe. :-D

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Last edited by LongHairIsSoFuckingCool on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:10 am 

draconiondevil wrote:

I actually quite like this!

And that album cover is one of the greatest ones I've ever seen. xD

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:07 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

Yeah I suppose some of the subject matter is similar, but even the old guard have songs about how great metal and thrash in particular is. Metallica with the song "Whiplash", for example. I think thrash has always been cheesy but for some reason people think it's just the new bands who are? And like you I like most thrash that I hear and don't really understand the hate for it nowadays.

1. Metallica wrote good songs, these bands don't.
2. Metallica also had other tones and moods besides "YEAH THRASH IS GREAT", these bands don't.

imagine if Kill Em All was only songs like Whiplash, and also Whiplash was much worse as a song. no The Four Horsemen, no Seek and Destroy, no Phantom Lord, just Whiplash. now imagine that rather that following that up with Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, they release Whiplash: the Album again 4 more times. that should put you in the right headspace.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:52 am 

Which band is only writing songs about pizza? Gama Bomb has songs about global warming, history, cops, etc. Lich King - while not being overly serious in any song, still has tons of diversity in what they sing about: sci-fi movies, how fans treat them, kids being annoying, how pointless work is, etc.

Violator, the original band in question, has gone super political with their second album, but even their debut has the same level of lyrical mastery that bands like Exodus had with their first album.

The quality of the music is obviously a separate issue, but there's no doubt in my mind that people pick a side before they even hear the music.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:28 am 

Neo party pizza thrash bands???

*Liz Lemon Masterpiece eyeroll*
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:09 pm 

Lich_King wrote:
Yep. I don't get as bent out of shape about it as I used to, but people lumping us in with the pizza bands used to bug me a lot more- there's a huuuuge underground cache of food-based silly thrash bands that don't give a crap about anything including riffs, and that's where I draw the line. Lyrical content can be silly, whatever, it doesn't matter. The riffs need to want me dead or it's not worthwhile. Just my take though.

Of course, "not taking yourself too seriously" isn't an excuse to write shit music. So yeah, if the music is bad it's bad. But I'm not about to dismiss bands from the get go just because the guitarist wears a TMNT t-shirt or because some of the lyrics are about partying.

I didn't previously make the connection that Lich_King on the forums here was part of the band Lich_King. I'll go revisit some of your material for sure :)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:28 pm 

You should check out their cover of Agents of Steel, it's fucking brilliant.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:52 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:

It annoys me way more than it should that this is actually pretty fucking good

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next