* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:15 pm 

From Ihsahn's Facebook:

Quote:
After over a decade in the making. Matthew Kiichichaos Heafy releases the first single from his long-awaited and much anticipated IBARAKI project with special guest Ihsahn of Emperor.
Click on the link in story to watch / listen "Tamashii No Houkai".

"'Tamashii No Houkai' means 'the breaking of the soul' or 'soul collapse," explains Kiichi. "It's a Japanese term that didn't exist before, but one we forged to reflect the song's meaning."
Kiichi, who is of Japanese heritage, continues, 'Tamashii No Houkai' is co-written by Ihsahn -Official- — the legend behind Emperor official and a musician who has been a longtime influence and mentor to so much that I do in music. The writing of this song was the turning point for Ibaraki — it summarized everything from the past, present, and future of what I thought black metal was, is, and could be."
Kiichi finishes, 'Tamashii No Houkai' is the perfect summary and representation of everything that Ibaraki is… and will be."

Music Video:

This has been rumoured for a while now, and it seems like the project name might have changed.

Honestly, I feel mixed emotions about this. It goes from dark and filthy, almost blackened death metal, to avant-garde, to a melodic and atmospheric chorus, to a solo with a somewhat groovy backing, back to the other sections. For writing that took as long as it did, it sounds incredibly thrown together. The clean vocals sound forced in and out of place, and the Super Mario coin sounds are like a parody, but there's some good writing in other sections of the song. His screams are far from black metal, but I don't mind them here all that much.

What do you guys make of this?

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:32 pm 

I don't like this dude's vocals in Trivium and I don't like them here either, lol

I don't think his metalcore-style shouts really fit black metal...

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:34 pm 

I dug it, though as a big fan of Trivium I might be a bit biased. The solo section was pretty cool and it had some good riffs throughout so I'm happy with it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:40 pm 

It just kinda sounds like slightly blackened Triviumon first impression. I'm curious to see how this pans out but the last Trivium album being so great might've just been a fluke for me.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm 

Twitch Streaming Black Metal.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 pm 

Hard pass for me. Hardly hear any black metal in this track.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:31 pm 

I'll start by saying that I've never been a Trivium fan and not really a fan of Ihsahn's solo-work since 'After'.... and I actually enjoyed this! There were some things I didn't love: the clean vocals did feel forced and out of place sometimes and there were parts where the avantgarde drum patterns that kind of over-powered the rest of the instrumentation happening.

However, overall, I'm actually surprised by how much I did enjoy. Thought Heafy's vocals sounded good over the more blackened death parts. Also felt like the style changes fit well together unlike the OP.

So I wouldn't say that I loved it or am excited about the album just yet - but I liked it and I'm interested to hear more!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:10 am 

Never thought I'd say this but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It sounds like Ihsahn's solo project but a bit more metalcorish. I get why some people will hate it but if this was a new solo Ihsahn album it would probably be revered by some people. It actually sounds kind of fresh? It even incorporates some of Emperor's more symphonic melodies better than Ihsahn did with his solo stuff and it definitely has more teeth than any of the later Ihsahn albums which where bland and boring as hell.

I'm guessing the Mario coin is some short of joke and the effect won't be on the final album though. Here's hoping.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:41 pm 

Didn’t like any of that. Oof.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:56 pm 

I could have liked the song if it hadn't been labelled as black metal. I can't find it.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:06 pm 

Can't decide whether I hate or like this. I'm not very fond of the clean vocals and the video game "plings" made me laugh the first time. At the same time it actually surprised me, which most music doesn't do these days. I will give the album a fair chance when it's out.

Also I have really liked the last couple of Trivium albums (The Sin and the Sentence to In the Court of the Dragon).

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:17 pm 

Yeah, no. This sounds to me like some nameless crap you'd stumble upon if you opened up Nuclear Blast's YouTube channel and started clicking on videos at random. All the best to Heafy for branching out, but it's not for me.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:34 pm 

I'm suprised at how much I dig this and it's without doubt the most I've enjoyed music with Matt Heafy in it. the clean vocal part works well. Reminds me slightly of Hail Spirit Noir.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:10 pm 

Honest questions to those who disliked it... Did you enjoy Eremita, After and AngL?

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:35 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Honest questions to those who disliked it... Did you enjoy Eremita, After and AngL?

I loved all 3 of those albums actually! And for me, After is up there with Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk as 2 of Ihsahn's greatest musical achievements. AngL is my least favourite of the 3, but still in that favourite period of his solo albums for me. In general I like all his solo full-lengths (except Das Seelenbrechen), and the EPs he did last year were okay. He's my favourite musician though, so I'm biased.

After another listen, this is decent overall. I think there are some elements that don't fit, and the song structure seems thrown together, but there's more good than bad. Either way this seems more fueled by Matt Heafy than Ihsahn anyway.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:15 am 

It's an alright song but everything about the clean vocals sounds incredible awkward. The melody, the mixing of it, the singing itself, EVERYTHING sounds... wrong.

morticide666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:13 pm 

People need to understand that it's not black metal, it's black metal influenced. Matt is taking elements of black metal and combining it with some different genres like metalcore for example. I would call this track blackened metalcore. Needless to say, I love the song and can't wait to hear more.

Kyoson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:00 pm 

Pretty decent. BM is kinda missing but as with Trivium I don't think Matt Heafy would go out and say what genre they are. So the BM tag may have something to do with confused fans and/or the association with Ihsahn.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:49 pm 

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:27 pm 

Another good one!

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:11 pm 

Not a bad song. Nergal's vocals work really well in it I find. The cleans feel weird just like the first song for me though.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:59 am 

That one was actually quite good! Much more cohesive in style; clearly progressive and extreme, with the odd black metal tendencies. The cleans I felt fit better this time around too - kinda like Ihsahn's solo project, ironically.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:45 pm 

Quote:
FYI. Gerard did all the screams on this song. Ihsahn is on the solo. Ihsahn’s family on the “whoa oh’s”. Yours truly on singing. Alex Bent on drums.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:17 pm 

I feel like Gerard Way would fit in quite well on a post-black project, going by this song. His screams (which are good!) give me that vibe.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:58 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Quote:
FYI. Gerard did all the screams on this song. Ihsahn is on the solo. Ihsahn’s family on the “whoa oh’s”. Yours truly on singing. Alex Bent on drums.

Quite enjoyed that. What a timeline we are in where there’s a direct connection between MCR and Emperor. Whoa.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:48 am 

Considering MCR has Devil Master as one of the openers on their upcoming tour, I would assume that they know their shit to at least some degree.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:11 am 

Matt's clean voice is just bland and uninteresting to me there's zero standing out quality to his voice. As a standout Gerard's bm vocals are really damn good though, and the bm faster parts are good but get taken down a peg by the boring prog parts. The song seems pretty uneven to me. Gerard should definitely start a metal side project IMO

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:32 pm 

I also have some issues (mostly minor) with the vocalist, but the music is awesome imo.
Probably will check out the whole thing.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:41 pm 

Screamy bits sound like Deafheaven, quiet bits sound like Katatonia. Not bad.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:20 pm 

Eradicatedseraphim wrote:
Matt's clean voice is just bland and uninteresting to me there's zero standing out quality to his voice.

I've the exact opposite opinion. I feel Matt has grown into becoming a phenomenal clean singer. He's certainly a hell of a lot better and more distinct now than the Hetfield impression he was doing on earlier albums.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:24 am 

It's funny how when Matt tries to court the radio (everything from In Waves to Silence in the Snow), he sounds extremely forced and robotic, but when he just does what he wants to do (like on In the Court of the Dragon and here) it flows naturally and he sounds comfortable. I've become more convinced over the years that while he has a natural pop sensibility, he doesn't like focusing on pop songwriting and only did it for a time because he thought the market was calling for Trivium to move in that direction.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:15 am 

Those cleans are pretty damn good! I'm honestly impressed.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:51 pm 

Yeah, I knew that MCR was partly influenced by Iron Maiden and had connection with Gary Holt, but hearing Gerard doing those black metal screams is really sick. He should do some more metal stuff (if he wants).

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:14 am 

Debut album:

Matt is a shitty vocalist, but a flawless guitarist. Chocking but true.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:18 am 

I think this is pretty good on first impression, feels like a cross between Trivium, Enslaved, and Opeth.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:43 pm 

It's good but maybe a bit too theatric for it's own good. I'm surprised the Mario Coin still made it into the final album, that was a bit distracting.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:12 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
It's funny how when Matt tries to court the radio (everything from In Waves to Silence in the Snow), he sounds extremely forced and robotic, but when he just does what he wants to do (like on In the Court of the Dragon and here) it flows naturally and he sounds comfortable. I've become more convinced over the years that while he has a natural pop sensibility, he doesn't like focusing on pop songwriting and only did it for a time because he thought the market was calling for Trivium to move in that direction.

My friend has a theory that Trivium have been writing songs that are meant to be easy to play live, and that that is why they aren't writing the crazier and heavier stuff that they used to. She says the same thing is happening to Dream Theater of late. I'm not very familiar with either band though so I couldn't say if I agree or not.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:20 am 

The songs are fine (B-grade Opeth but acceptable), alas Heafy's voice ruins everything as always. If this was a Probot thing with different vocalists coming in I might've given this a 6 out of 10.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:18 pm 

ThStealthK wrote:
Debut album:

Matt is a shitty vocalist, but a flawless guitarist. Chocking but true.

He was solid on Fractured.

Reply to topic