PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:47 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Yes, Falconer is fantastic.

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:40 am 

Opus wrote:
Falconer - Falconer (2001)

I still can't decide whether the s/t or From a Dying Ember is their best. On one hand, Ember is probably their most consistently great album, but on the other - none of the songs reach the stratospheric heights of "Lord of the Blacksmiths" (though "Fool's Crusade" comes pretty close!). When this band is on, they're dead on.

Opus wrote:
A song with Göbel's best Mathias impression: Child of the Wild

That song was re-recorded a year later with Blad, and it sounds even better!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:50 am 

Looks like this'll be the thread that finally gets me to check out Falconer so congrats on that!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:38 pm 

Falconer's debut and Black Moon Rising are both incredible. The other albums have songs I like, but I've never found the band lives up to its reputation outside of those two records. The last album in particular did nothing for me. Also, a very weak live band IMO. You can tell that they aren't really a touring act.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:15 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Looks like this'll be the thread that finally gets me to check out Falconer so congrats on that!

About damn time!

Spiner202 wrote:
Also, a very weak live band IMO. You can tell that they aren't really a touring act.

You've seen Falconer live?! :eek: I've seen some videos from Prog Power and that gets me overwhelmed. If I saw them live I would go into Beatles hysteria!
When they started Weinerhall never planned to play live. Guess they got bigger than he expected.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:18 pm 

Falconer - Northwind (2006)
The ultimate line-up! Blad back on vocals, the fantastic Jimmy Hedlund on guitar and a stable rhythm section. Back to making godly tunes.
This would have been another 6/5 if it wasn't for my pet peeve: it's too long! 54 minutes is just about too much of a good thing. Though I'm smiling during the choruses all the way to the end. 5/5

A song that is so damn catchy: Catch the Shadows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79wk_DkPy3E

Falconer - Among Beggars and Thieves (2008)
And they are doing it again! Weinerhall just doesn't stop. Someone might say that it's just more of the same by now, but does that really matter when every song is the best song ever? I feel that you can put on any of the Blad albums and be just as happy.
A slight difference here is that some choruses are a bit bigger, almost going in a musical direction. Again, 5/5

Another great song: Boiling Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRpoQeb6Gt4

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:10 am 

^I had to confirm my distaste for Falconer so I tried Catch The Shadows, I mean after all it's again apparently close to a 6/5 so it's gotta be fuckin awesome, right? Well I got to the "At the end of the rainbow another rainbow starts" part and that much bloody cheese can make me violently ill, so it got swiftly turned off. Fool me once, fool me twice...time to go put on some Arrayan Path instead.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:03 am 

But Arrayan Path isn't catchy?
And you forgot the line "power metal with real power".

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:16 am 

You're absolutely right, I forgot that. So here ya go, Arrayan Path a power metal band with real power and just the right amount of cheese. Oh, and as a bonus, Arrayan Path fuckin rules!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:43 am 

Hating Falconer and liking Arrayan Path that much just seems bizarre to me, they aren't really all that different at the end of the day. AP has plenty of quite happy choruses themselves, and Falconer has their share of rock-solid, steely riffs as well. Just saying, it's not like Opus posted a Fairyland album and you responded by saying "I'm turning on some Celtic Frost" or something.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:14 am 

Opus wrote:

About damn time!

Spiner202 wrote:
Also, a very weak live band IMO. You can tell that they aren't really a touring act.

You've seen Falconer live?! :eek: I've seen some videos from Prog Power and that gets me overwhelmed. If I saw them live I would go into Beatles hysteria!
When they started Weinerhall never planned to play live. Guess they got bigger than he expected.

Yup I saw them at Wacken 2015. They had some technical difficulties, but they also just looked somewhat uncomfortable on stage. It's too bad, because they were touring on one of the two albums I love from them, and they obviously play tons from the debut as well, but they were one of the weaker performances of the festival for me.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Hating Falconer and liking Arrayan Path that much just seems bizarre to me, they aren't really all that different at the end of the day. AP has plenty of quite happy choruses themselves, and Falconer has their share of rock-solid, steely riffs as well. Just saying, it's not like Opus posted a Fairyland album and you responded by saying "I'm turning on some Celtic Frost" or something.

I think the difference in class between both bands is enormous in nearly every aspect. I will acknowledge that some of the riffing from Falconer was pretty good, but I want more than that, those riffs need to turn into interesting and inventive songwriting with personality.
Falconer sound to me like one of those production line Euro power metal bands that I just don't like, sugary and sweet on the surface but ultimately shallow, substance less stuff with no nutritional value.
I'm picking on Falconer a bit, but Opus did rate em very, very highly and I thought I'd give em a go and was ultimately quite disappointed as you may have noticed.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:41 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I think the difference in class between both bands is enormous in nearly every aspect. I will acknowledge that some of the riffing from Falconer was pretty good, but I want more than that, those riffs need to turn into interesting and inventive songwriting with personality.
Falconer sound to me like one of those production line Euro power metal bands that I just don't like, sugary and sweet on the surface but ultimately shallow, substance less stuff with no nutritional value.
I'm picking on Falconer a bit, but Opus did rate em very, very highly and I thought I'd give em a go and was ultimately quite disappointed as you may have noticed.

Interesting. I've always viewed Falconer as being the antithesis of the sugary-sweet Euro power bands, most of whom I dont care for.
At the very least, they seemed to have tread their own path in terms of songwriting and sound/style, IMO.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:01 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I think Falconer's songwriting has shitloads of invention and personality. It seems like the singing and melodic sense can put some people off, but I think that's one of the strengths of the band, the startling contrast and how different it is from most bands in the genre (your Rhapsodys, Power Quests, etc). Them, old Kamelot, Black Majesty and Arrayan Path all kind of fall under the same umbrella for me, strong, hooky, melodic PM that works without a zillion notes or a bunch of insane wailing singing.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:43 am 

InsaneSniper wrote:

I know. I just wanted to give some cred to Göbel. Let the man have his moment.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:49 am 

Falconer - Armod (2011)
And more of the same, ie another flawless album. I love everything Falconer do, simple as that.
The solos are even better here, and I think there are more guitar melodies/twin leads. And isn't the song writing a bit more complex? By no means in any way prog, but there are some unexpected chord changes and odd riffs. 5/5

One of the songs in the world: Svarta Änkan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jirq0rz_0xo

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:49 am 

Opus wrote:
InsaneSniper wrote:

I know. I just wanted to give some cred to Göbel. Let the man have his moment.

Hey now, I like him too!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:13 pm 

Falconer - Black Moon Rising (2014)
Their heaviest yet, and the riffiest. Some riffs are downright mean. There are sounds here all the way from Maiden/NWOBHM riffing to black metal. 5/5

A typical song: Wasteland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTg6UQaEsa8

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:49 pm 

Good point on the black metal callout. I've never listened to the band but Stefan Weinerhall was originally in a black metal band? Or MA says viking/black metal.

The best part of Black Moon Rising for me is the 3-song run that kicks it off. Halls and Chambers is one of those songs that only Falconer could write.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:53 pm 

I should give Black Moon Rising more listens. The final one they did is so excellent and Black Moon... definitely did seem very good from the one time I did hear it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:19 am 

Falconer - From a Dying Ember (2020)
And so it ends.
I don't think it's just me, I find this one quite sad. It really is a swan song. While Black Moon Rising was full force ahead, this one is somber and even feels resigned in places.
My copy has bonus tracks, so it ends with acoustic versions of Portals of Light and Long Gone By. "Remember the times when we ruled, you and I." Enough to make you cry.
Oh well, they ended on a high note, and never made a bad album. This will last me a lifetime. 5/5

A final song: Redeem and Repent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJOeMmfenU4

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:02 pm 

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)
I don't like this. There's nothing that connects with me.
But, I think I have figured out why it sounds like it does. They are trying to make atonal metal. That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with, because it sure doesn't sound like any other metal I have heard.
The vocals are incredible un-melodic, that's the obvious bit. But if you look at the riffs, you'll find that they aren't diatonic, nor are they chromatic, they are mostly just out there. Creating no real sense of any tonal center. And the constant change of meter serves only to break the flow, never settling into any pattern. A bold experiment, but it's not for me.
If their intentions was to create jarring, uncomfortable music, they did succeed. 2/5

A typical song: Traveler in Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bpNItVsuo

Fates Warning - Awakening the Guardian (1986)
Does anyone sing along while listening to this? 2/5

A typical song: The Sorceress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzPq4RBP0jg

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:55 pm 

Opus wrote:
I don't like this. There's nothing that connects with me.

Preach!

I've been listening to this record for years, and never understood it. And until now, I'm not sure I've come across anyone else that dislikes it.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:58 pm 

Opus wrote:
[b]Fates Warning - Awakening the Guardian (1986)

I can sing along to that entire album lol. Those Arch albums are a bit difficult though, especially Spectre. It took me a bit to get into that one because it almost sounds like the music and vocals are operating independently of each other at first. They are both great though!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:06 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
And until now, I'm not sure I've come across anyone else that dislikes it.

:beer: Isn't that the way it is with albums that are widely considered classics?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:08 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
I can sing along to that entire album lol.

I'd like to see you on karaoke night.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:08 am 

Opus wrote:

A typical song: The Sorceress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzPq4RBP0jg

Good luck trying to match the inimitable Arch. That record is a 5/5…just a highlight of the 80s in particular, but metal in general.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:51 pm 

Fates Warning - No Exit (1988)
More of the same wonky non-harmony, only with thrash riffing.
Was this written with Arch in mind, or did Matheos miss him so much that he made Alder sing in a similar strange manner? The singing is better , but the songs are worse. 2/5

A typical song: Anarchy Divine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_roatNef60

Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry (1989)
This is how it's done!
I am team Alder, but Mark Zonder makes all the difference here. He makes everything flow, no matter how many time signature changes Matheos throws at him. You don't have to try to figure out how many notes there are in a bar or where the rhythm went, you can just bob your head and enjoy the music.
Two flaws with this album: a bit too many slow songs/bits, and Alder is constantly singing in a sort of helium register (a remnant from the Arch days I guess). 4/5

A typical great song: Through Different Eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXlbJe4MovE

Fates Warning - Parallels (1991)
This is where it all came together if you ask me. Every song is great, and Alder is singing in a human register. 5/5

A typical great song: Point of View
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRe7MTZ_Ucg

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:45 am 

InsaneSniper wrote:
Opus wrote:
Falconer - Falconer (2001)

I still can't decide whether the s/t or From a Dying Ember is their best. On one hand, Ember is probably their most consistently great album, but on the other - none of the songs reach the stratospheric heights of "Lord of the Blacksmiths" (though "Fool's Crusade" comes pretty close!). When this band is on, they're dead on.

"Wings of Serenity" is up there for me too when it comes to this band.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:19 am 

Fates Warning - Inside Out (1994)
Some good songs on this one, but it's too soft. 3/5
FWs album covers deserve their own thread..

A typical song: Pale Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu0KNHJaAas

Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray (1997)
This one is soft too, but loaded with atmosphere. 5/5

No typical songs, this must be played in it's entirety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8f7BJzsOVA

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:02 pm 

Can't agree with you on the Arch albums. Gorgeous, elaborate tapestries. True works of care.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:22 pm 

Opus wrote:
I don't like this. There's nothing that connects with me.2/5

Far out, are we even listening to the same albums here, these albums kick major ass. Massive riffs, wicked vocals and great song structures.
Once again our opinions differ. Mind you, I don't care if I can sing along to them, that's not a requirement in my book. 5/5

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Can't agree with you on the Arch albums. Gorgeous, elaborate tapestries. True works of care.

I just don't hear it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:05 am 

Fates Warning - Disconnected (2000)
I'm disconnected alright. Nothing but two note grunge riffs. Why? 1.5/5

A typical song: One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQO0b7jkx0

Fates Warning - FWX (2004)
A bit like A Pleasant Shade of Gray this one. Perfect to listen to while lying on the sofa on a rainy day. 4/5

A typical song: Another Perfect Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKTj6Ly1lw

Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light (2013)
It's like Matheos is adamant on avoiding hooks and catchy riffs. It's just boring. 2/5

A typical song: Firefly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReoQw9ua9_Y

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:41 pm 

Fates Warning - Theories of Flight (2016)
This I think is their most vocal driven album. Lots of nice melodies and harmonies. It's also more metal. The previous albums where very close to prog rock. And I miss Mark Zonder. 4/5

A typical song: Seven Stars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hguUU-VYug

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:51 pm 

It's curious the sheer amount of Fates Warning CDs you own considering how little you seem to like them.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:26 pm 

Again, I'm a collector.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:54 pm 

Fatima Hill - Valhalla (1997)
Odd album this. Seems more like a collection of B-sides or something. First two songs are great. Had all songs been like that it would've been 4/5. But then comes a ho hum song and then three long songs that I guess are supposed to be epic and progressive, but they are just long.
The guitarist has some interesting ideas, so I'll give it 3/5.

One of the good songs: Egyptian Tarot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvxtdRHK-UQ

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:55 pm 

Fight - War of Words (1993)
War of Words? More like War of Turds, am I right?
Who the hell thought this was a good idea? And who the hell enjoys it? It's got a 81% rating on M-A. Baffling!
It's not groove metal, it's just bad metal. Unless groove metal means take a crappy riff, play it throughout the song, repeat the song title a couple of times and call it a chorus. And Rob doesn't even sound good. If he at least sounded angry, as is to be expected in the genre, but he only sounds contrived.
The guitarist is Russ Parrish... I recognize that name... oh right, it's that guy. So this is a joke after all. 1/5

A typical song: Kill It (please do!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvSXP7UD2ac

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:37 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
It's curious the sheer amount of Fates Warning CDs you own considering how little you seem to like them.

Well if you counted you'd see he enjoyed more albums than he disliked.

Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next