* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
hakarl wrote:
In the last 10-15 years, a certain segment of metal bands have started to master the use of dissonance in creating the nightmarish soundscapes that extreme metal has always evoked. From Deathspell Omega to Ulcerate and all the way to Throane, as well as entire scenes of dissonant black metal especially in Iceland and France.

Post-metal has brought in a greater understanding of dynamics into metal. I still see a lot of potential in developing the use of dynamics in metal. To use orchestral music an an analogy, metal's development is still in the baroque phase where the use of dynamics is limited to altering between passages of varying dynamics, where the loudness and quietness of each passage, individually, is uniform. There are really no technical hurdles to overcome in order for overdriven electric sounds to be used in a more dynamically fluid way, as there may have been in the 80s and 90s. The only obstacle for this development is creativity, skill, and the interest of listeners.

Excellent post! What do you recommend from the three bands you mentioned? Like, give me an album/EP from each. What should I pay attention to? And I've been hearing about the Icelandic black metal scene, but I don't know where to start.

Must admit I've only intermittently followed new releases in the past 10-15 years. I'm definitely set in my ways, but I could use some new stuff. Of the obstacles you mention, I think the last one, the interest of listeners, is the crucial problem. I know it, because I'm part of the problem.

From Deathspell Omega, I'd recommend Chaining the Katechon as a starting point. It makes very clear the artistic statement that drives the main body of their work, but by not being the most developed example of it, it leaves a lot of room to explore their discography. After that I'd recommend the Trilogy, but in reverse order: Paracletus, Fas, Si Monumentum Requires.

Ulcerate's discography is much simpler. The first album is chaotic tech-death, then Everything Is Fire is the first one in the style that the band is famous for. It's somewhat more streamlined and less atmospheric than some of the following albums, but it can be a great starting point. The new album is also a great starting point.

Throane has just two albums and an EP. I recommend starting with the debut album.

As for the Icelandic scene, I see Svartidauði's Flesh Cathedral as a sort of centerpiece of that whole movement. It's the earliest full-length, and arguably the boldest artistic statement at the time. I consider Zhrine to be the crown jewel of the scene, and then bands like Misþyrming and Carpe Noctem have made excellent albums that I'd recommend exploring next.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:17 pm 

hakarl wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:
hakarl wrote:
In the last 10-15 years, a certain segment of metal bands have started to master the use of dissonance in creating the nightmarish soundscapes that extreme metal has always evoked. From Deathspell Omega to Ulcerate and all the way to Throane, as well as entire scenes of dissonant black metal especially in Iceland and France.

Post-metal has brought in a greater understanding of dynamics into metal. I still see a lot of potential in developing the use of dynamics in metal. To use orchestral music an an analogy, metal's development is still in the baroque phase where the use of dynamics is limited to altering between passages of varying dynamics, where the loudness and quietness of each passage, individually, is uniform. There are really no technical hurdles to overcome in order for overdriven electric sounds to be used in a more dynamically fluid way, as there may have been in the 80s and 90s. The only obstacle for this development is creativity, skill, and the interest of listeners.

Excellent post! What do you recommend from the three bands you mentioned? Like, give me an album/EP from each. What should I pay attention to? And I've been hearing about the Icelandic black metal scene, but I don't know where to start.

Must admit I've only intermittently followed new releases in the past 10-15 years. I'm definitely set in my ways, but I could use some new stuff. Of the obstacles you mention, I think the last one, the interest of listeners, is the crucial problem. I know it, because I'm part of the problem.

From Deathspell Omega, I'd recommend Chaining the Katechon as a starting point. It makes very clear the artistic statement that drives the main body of their work, but by not being the most developed example of it, it leaves a lot of room to explore their discography. After that I'd recommend the Trilogy, but in reverse order: Paracletus, Fas, Si Monumentum Requires.

Ulcerate's discography is much simpler. The first album is chaotic tech-death, then Everything Is Fire is the first one in the style that the band is famous for. It's somewhat more streamlined and less atmospheric than some of the following albums, but it can be a great starting point. The new album is also a great starting point.

Throane has just two albums and an EP. I recommend starting with the debut album.

As for the Icelandic scene, I see Svartidauði's Flesh Cathedral as a sort of centerpiece of that whole movement. It's the earliest full-length, and arguably the boldest artistic statement at the time. I consider Zhrine to be the crown jewel of the scene, and then bands like Misþyrming and Carpe Noctem have made excellent albums that I'd recommend exploring next.

Much appreciated. I've heard about some of these names following sites like Angry Metal Guy and Last Rites, but yeah, I'm mostly lost when it comes to new metal. I remember some DO from back in the day, though. The Icelandic scene seems particularly interesting.

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:41 am 

There needs to be a thrash metal band with a 70's black sabbath theme, theres no such thing as 70's thrash metal since it came out in the 80s, think about it

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:00 pm 

a_s315 wrote:
There needs to be a thrash metal band with a 70's black sabbath theme, theres no such thing as 70's thrash metal since it came out in the 80s, think about it

King Gizzard's metal album (the one which got them into the Archives) sounds exactly like that to me.

Kalimata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:59 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Yeah, I don't know if there's accepted nomenclature for it yet, and there's a thin line at times between it and cavernous death or dirty death.

Oh! One interesting point: who accepts the nomenclatures? Where does it come from?

Edit: Because when you say that, I imagine an old guy with long hair and beard (or a bald one wearing chains and leather, as you prefer) sitting at his dusty desk with a stamp in his hand saying: "Well which are the new claims today... Ok, do we have to accept "opaque", "cavernous", "hilarious" and "green" death metal in the Nomenclature? Does it work for speed metal... Why not... Ok Sarah, you can contact the worldwide metal community and tell them the Nomenclature has been modified!".

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:57 pm 

greywanderer7 wrote:
a_s315 wrote:

King Gizzard's metal album (the one which got them into the Archives) sounds exactly like that to me.

Sounds evil to me!

Good on ya m8!

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:02 pm 

greywanderer7 wrote:
a_s315 wrote:

what is the album name?

a_s315
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:08 pm 

a_s315 wrote:
greywanderer7 wrote:
a_s315 wrote:

what is the album name?

holy hell i found it!

Infest the Rat's nest

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:25 pm 

a_s315 wrote:
a_s315 wrote:
what is the album name?

holy hell i found it!

Infest the Rat's nest

Wow, I bet it took so much effort...

...and all you had to do is go on their page and look at the note that mentions what album got them accepted on the archives.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2