* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 am 

Voidsel wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
For me metal went heavy -> thrash -> death -> black then everything since then has been (glorious) variations and combinations.

You forgot speed.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:56 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I'd ask the question whether or not other types of music usually have as many sub-genres as metal?

I know that hip-hop/rap has a fair number of styles like east coast, west coast, southern, gangster, etc, and there are tons of different styles of punk, but are there as many sub-genres of jazz, blues, classical, folk, etc as there are of metal?

Going by Rate Your Music, the styles with the most subgenres are regional (1059), folk (392), electronic (305), dance (251), rock (245), pop (154), and classical (146). Regional and folk tend to have a ton of overlap, as do electronic and dance.

I can say that electronic music in general has a bewildering number of variations. By the late 00s and for much of the 10s I was listening to it more than I was metal, and I still don't feel like I have a grasp of much of it. I would feel far more lost discussing it with the average fan of it than I would of metal.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eptaceros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:43 pm 

Happy to see some Icelandic metal recognized here, I'll add Sinmara to the growing list. Their 2014 album Aphotic Womb is unlike anything else.

As far as the topic of genres at large, I think we all need to zoom out a few hundred years. Music has primarily existed in long plateau periods of sound, look at the many centuries of classical music. Take 19th century Romantic-era classical, you can nitpick about the compositional differences between Debussy and Saint-Saens but that would be the same as delving into the neverending struggling of subcategorizing genres. It's usually through technological innovations that different genres start developing. I wouldn't worry about metal's stagnation because people will continue making music with guitars, drums, bass and aggressive vocals while those are still the tools at our disposal, and even beyond. Kind of how you still have orchestral musicians in age in which classical music can be argued to be a long-dead genre.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:27 pm 

Does kawaii metal not ring a bell? It may not be an actual style recognized by the Metal Archives, but it is a relatively new thing from the past decade or so. I think "electronic metal" would probably be more normalized soon in the future, especially with all the edm metalcore/power metal that's going on.

I think the problem of making new genres is not just on whether it is "metal enough" or how minor the changes are, but it is also that the metal community treated subgenres so much as a joke (eg. love metal, frogcore, progressive technical slam dunk symphonic viking metal with middle eastern jazz influences) that we've gone full circle and become genre elitists and getting rid of genres (glam metal, dark metal, etc.), at least in this site.

Anyways we are living in the digital age, so we're more in a relaxing stage where we prefer what we're given so far instead of trying new things for the sake of trying new things. But hey, who knows?

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:37 pm 

DeathFusion wrote:
Also genre boundaries are pretty arbitrary. There is a lot of variation within black and death metal, many of these sounds could just as well have been their own genres.

True. I group stuff like Behemoth and Blasphemy together under "blackened death" for the sake of convenience and due to the fact that they both are melding black and death metal styles, they just do it wildly differently. I consider "war metal" to just be another name for the strain of blackened death metal with excess reverb and "cave man" sounding instrumentals/vocals.

Also: "kawaii metal" is a concept which makes me physically ill. Outside of Babymetal, what even gets called that?

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:06 pm 

Ladybeard, Ironbunny, and Passcode are a few examples. It's a very small genre and has somewhat more to do with J-pop than metal, but nevertheless, it's at least something new.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:30 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
AxeCapitol wrote:
I myself am looking forward to the inevitable qawalli/atmo BM fusion record. Nusrat fateh Ali khan meets WITTR. Please someone make it happen.

would undoubtedly actually own

This sounds much better than all the avant-garde crap being talked about in this thread.

I hope I never become one of those people, who thinks that catchy, good, listenable music is boring. That sounds depressing.

Innovation is good, if it’s real music, and not lame.

Real music, what the absolute fuck?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2