* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DemonFilth2001
Had a one night stand with Phil Anselmo and never got a call back

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:01 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Oheao wrote:
Maybe instead of recording a new album they should actually remember their first four albums exist first.

They could at least reissue "Power Metal".

Yeah. Reissue this. Take the first 3 and consolidate it into a best of release. Both would sell a ton.

TheArchivist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:27 am 

What a bunch of sniveling snowflakes. It's Phil's band too. Without Phil, there would be no Pantera. They can tour and record an album under the Pantera moniker if they want to whether you like it or not. This whining and bitching about "it's not Pantera" is getting really tiresome and sickening.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:44 am 

TheArchivist wrote:
What a bunch of sniveling snowflakes. It's Phil's band too. Without Phil, there would be no Pantera. They can tour and record an album under the Pantera moniker if they want to whether you like it or not. This whining and bitching about "it's not Pantera" is getting really tiresome and sickening.

No it isn't - he isn't an original member.

He joined for ''Power Metal'', their 4th album. Pantera existed before him.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:27 am 

In_Zane wrote:
TheArchivist wrote:

I can't wait for Terry Glaze to start touring under Pantera name. It's his band too, he is an original member after all.

Let's be serious guys. The whole original/non-original member doesn't mean shit in this situation. According to every member of Pantera's classic lineup, including Abbott brothers, Pantera started out as a band with release of Cowboys from Hell. Anselmo's influence on Pantera's sound and image is undeniable, he was and still is a core member of the band and has every right to use Pantera name in this situation as much as the Abbott brothers would have if they were still alive.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:58 am 

I think the reunion/tribute was well received so far, only 2 shows in. I would imagine when they hit europe and go to countries they've never toured before it will only spark the hype even more. Wouldnt be surprised if a new album is gonna end up being made

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:33 am 

Paka01 wrote:
Let's be serious guys. The whole original/non-original member doesn't mean shit

He has a point: The first Napalm Death demo featured:
Nicholas Bullen, Miles Ratledge, Finbar Quinn and Daryl Fideski.
I don't see any of them in Napalm Death. Current ND consists of people who replaced earlier replacements yet I still love them.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:12 am 

Paka01 wrote:
Let's be serious guys. The whole original/non-original member doesn't mean shit in this situation. According to every member of Pantera's classic lineup, including Abbott brothers, Pantera started out as a band with release of Cowboys from Hell. Anselmo's influence on Pantera's sound and image is undeniable, he was and still is a core member of the band and has every right to use Pantera name in this situation as much as the Abbott brothers would have if they were still alive.

"Just 'cos you got the power, that don't mean you got the right." And even if it could be agreed that he has a legitimate right, which arguably is the case with the consent of the Abbott estates, it's still distasteful. The band's ashamed sweep-it-under-the-rug revisionism of their history also doesn't mean shit. They should own their past, for example how Tom G. Warrior owns Cold Lake.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:21 am 

Tom G. Warrior has integrity.

Faketera doesnt.

DemonFilth2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:22 am 

TheArchivist wrote:

Yeah. Ridiculous takes. Make a new album. Tour. If people buy it and go to the shows, who cares?

Personally, I'd like to see Glaze tour and play the first 3 albums. That'd be bad ass.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:24 am 

Talked to a major Pantera fan last night. He was up for seeing them. Said Zakk is a great pick to replace Dime and Charlie is a killer drummer who can easily handle the drum parts. And would like to hear those cuts live again. The concerns of people who post about metal on forums probably aren't on the mind of fans who just enjoy the music.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:26 am 

DemonFilth2001 wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see Glaze tour and play the first 3 albums. That'd be bad ass.

I agree, I actually like those albums.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:18 am 

Paka01 wrote:
DemonFilth2001 wrote:

Let's assume Glaze gets Tommy Bradford and two other dudes to play those songs. By your logic it should be perfectly fine for that to be called Pantera.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:16 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Paka01 wrote:
DemonFilth2001 wrote:

Let's assume Glaze gets Tommy Bradford and two other dudes to play those songs. By your logic it should be perfectly fine for that to be called Pantera.

What? No, of course. I was being sarcastic with my comment about Glaze touring under Pantera name.
But I actually do enjoy those first 3 albums :D

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:06 pm 

TheArchivist wrote:

Gets butthurt when people legitimately criticizes his shitty favorite band, calls others snowflakes.

Irony

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:57 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Paka01 wrote:
DemonFilth2001 wrote:

Now THAT would be funny.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:48 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Talked to a major Pantera fan last night. He was up for seeing them. Said Zakk is a great pick to replace Dime and Charlie is a killer drummer who can easily handle the drum parts. And would like to hear those cuts live again. The concerns of people who post about metal on forums probably aren't on the mind of fans who just enjoy the music.

there is not very much at all on the mind of people who enjoy pantera, this is a fair point

~Guest 1730521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:11 pm 

Pantera has a bunch of great songs, though. I bet a lot of people still enjoy listening to them. I sure as hell do! They were one of the bands that got me into metal; back when my cousin showed me a video of Primal Concrete Sledge back in the early 2000s. Fantastic stuff.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:44 am 

Primal Concrete Sledge is an S-tier song. Of course they aren't good enough to play it anymore (which is the real indicator of how sus this whole thing is).

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:24 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Primal Concrete Sledge is an S-tier song. Of course they aren't good enough to play it anymore (which is the real indicator of how sus this whole thing is).

Great song and I am sure Charlie can easily do it. I just have to put on Anthrax' Crush to convince myself that Charlie can pull of any P song.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:12 pm 

I'd still go out and watch this version of Pantera if given the chance. I never got the chance to watch the classic lineup during their run. And Anselmo IS a core member of the band. He was THE frontman when Pantera made their breakthrough to a larger audience and he sang on their best-selling albums. He was not just a hired hand during those days. And the backing band aren't some faceless session musicians either. Benante and Wylde are accomplished musicians who've seen success in their own bands. Yes, I would pay admission to see them play Pantera songs.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:27 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:
I'd still go out and watch this version of Pantera if given the chance. I never got the chance to watch the classic lineup during their run. And Anselmo IS a core member of the band. He was THE frontman when Pantera made their breakthrough to a larger audience and he sang on their best-selling albums. He was not just a hired hand during those days. And the backing band aren't some faceless session musicians either. Benante and Wylde are accomplished musicians who've seen success in their own bands. Yes, I would pay admission to see them play Pantera songs.

Yeah, while I'll probably end up seeing them open for Metallica if they do more dates on a day I can go I'm sure I will. I think the ide that Zakk and Charlie can't play any Pantera cut to be comical.

SpongeBoobies
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:32 pm 

Geez, that's about as stupid as Pantera getting back together. Oh wait.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:34 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Nothing good could ever come of that? Yeah you're right, they'd just finally be getting the message that body shaming and spreading/being complacent with manosphere crap isn't okay and people are gonna treat them like assholes if they act like assholes. You reap what you sow. I've had enough bad experience with the fitness community and its denizens to not give it any respect or love at all, and Pantera being a shit band that people who lift and want to be tough listen to (even though you know Phil would go down first punch in an actual fight) adds to it.

I need to weigh in on this... (pun not actually intended). I and many others have been to gyms for years and the vast majority of people who are involved in the "fitness community" aren't doing it to shame others, they are doing it to promote their own personal health and sometimes you need a support system that you can draw advice from.

I don't ask my lawyer to give advice on drywall taping, neither do I ask my tailor on how to invest stocks.

That being said, every gym always has some of these "gym rat" type of people but who are these people posturing to? They are only posturing and peacocking to others who are of the same mindset. Kind of like the whole idea that guys work out to gain the approval of other guys, as opposed to the approval of girls, which is actually true in this "gym rat" community but this is not even in any type of sexual way (which is fine), but it's one-upmanship and gamesmanship.

These people are not a threat to the average person who wants to spend some time trying to improve their health, and if someone feels threatened about it, my opinion is that they're either at the wrong gym (the archetypal marathon runner at a boxing gym) or they just need to grow thicker skin.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:41 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
ZarathustraHead wrote:
O Hi again Lord_of_Diamonds.

You have a lot more posts than I do, and you're clearly very well-versed in the tools of achieving a more equitable earth.

I would like to learn.

So.

What is the manosphere? And when have I entered it?

For example.

Can I own a weight set?

If so, can I exercise with it?

If I'm pumping weights only for health, is it okay if my arms get swole? (because they do, and I can't help it)

And when the guns are swole as fuck, I tend to catch the female gaze - if you know what I'm saying. Again, I can't help it. Is that okay?

And sometimes when the females are looking, I feel inclined to say, "You can look, ladies, but you can't touch," and then sometimes I like to wink. It's a friendly exchange, and they like it, so that's fine.

And frankly, I prefer fit ladies to morbidly obese ladies. Again, I can't help this. It's just a preference. Is it okay for me to have this unintentionally customized sexual preference?

And sometimes when I see an overweight male, I think a good crank and a little discipline could improve his life. I just want to help.

And seeing this footage of Fake Pantera makes me want to hit the ruckus pit, flex the baller guns, and hop up and down a bit and, yes, mosh (slam dance) a bit, with my Fake Pantera compadres.

Is that okay if nobody gets hurt?

Lifting weights in of itself is fine. When it's not fine is when you're doing what you're doing. Which is: bragging about it, using the "health" excuse (one does not need to lift weights to be healthy, I know multiple big people who are in perfect health), openly admitting that you'll tell fat people to go exercise (this displays your utter ignorance and lack of respect of other body types and compositions), grossly talking about "the female gaze", referring to women as "females" (as if any would actually want you if you walk around with this attitude), and disguising your blatant fatphobia as "wanting to help" and "sexual preference". When I was talking about scumbag bodybuilders that made me never want to enter the fitness community again earlier, you tick all the boxes for the kind of douche I was talking about.

There we go, that part's answered. Now, the manosphere. It is a misogynistic umbrella collective of men (mainly online) that includes bodybuilders, pickup artists, alpha/other Greek letter males, MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way), and incels. You perfectly embody some guy from a few of those communities, so it's a giant red flag. And to top it all off, you have been a rebel flag apologist and just generally really annoying.
Quote:
Thus Queried the Original Ballerman (O.B.)

Now that just sounds stupid. Most of what you say ("baller guns" "ruckus pit") sounds stupid. Have some self awareness.

Unless you're just a massive troll, because it gets harder and harder for me to believe that anybody would legit talk like this.

Everybody knows people who are "bigger" and in perfect health.

But in my opinion, the existence of these outliers is being used by people who are NOT in perfect health to justify their own positions, or by supposed allies shielding them from any and all type of criticism.

Look, everyone is entitled to be treated with kindness and decency if not respect (which should be earned, but lets not digress). But there is a clear difference between certain healthy body types and the fat acceptance / anti-body-shaming movement that tries to paint the picture of everything and anything being within the healthy spectrum. It's simply not rational.

There is some subjectivity to what constitutes healthy, but I would argue that there are many more objective, empirical measures, that need to be considered. Nobody is doing a fat person any favours by lying to them and telling them that they're perfectly fine. That doesn't mean that the person has to be ridiculed. But it also doesn't mean that at some point some reality is not allowed to sink in.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:47 am 

In_Zane wrote:
DemonFilth2001 wrote:
Why not? Other bands do it all the time. Look at KISS. 2 originals and 2 journeymen.

You know the difference here? Peter Criss and Ace Frehley sold their rights to their characters, and have no say whatsoever.

With Pantera, it's different - since the two actual original members are dead, and Vinnie flat out saying until his death that a reunion would never happen without Dimebag, and he found it disrespectful to even request it. What their estates say is irrelevant - as they're clearly just money grubbers.

I have nothing but respect for the Abott bros but to me, this statement by Vinny can also be interpreted as "I'm (personally) not interested in being part of any type of reunion without my brother being there as well" which is a completely reasonable take. It provides for some grey area though, now that neither is around.

This all being said, I personally will not be buying a ticket to watch this tour, I have no interest whatsoever.

I like Benante in Anthrax and that's fine, I liked Wylde only in Ozzy, could care less about BLS

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:55 pm 

Ukrajijajajana wrote:

But in my opinion, the existence of these outliers is being used by people who are NOT in perfect health to justify their own positions, or by supposed allies shielding them from any and all type of criticism.

Look, everyone is entitled to be treated with kindness and decency if not respect (which should be earned, but lets not digress). But there is a clear difference between certain healthy body types and the fat acceptance / anti-body-shaming movement that tries to paint the picture of everything and anything being within the healthy spectrum. It's simply not rational.

There is some subjectivity to what constitutes healthy, but I would argue that there are many more objective, empirical measures, that need to be considered. Nobody is doing a fat person any favours by lying to them and telling them that they're perfectly fine. That doesn't mean that the person has to be ridiculed. But it also doesn't mean that at some point some reality is not allowed to sink in.

I can't believe I'm actually getting involved in this, but this at least seems to be in good faith, so...

I just never get these arguments. Nobody's advocating lying to people with obviously unhealthy lifestyles or whatever. My guess is these fat people know perfectly well what they're doing and don't really need condescension or people telling them what's what, they're not children. Most of em are perfectly in reality.

And there's such a wide expanse of body types too. Lots of the people I see making arguments like yours end up equating "not perfectly in shape" with "bloated monstrosity health risk" like anyone with a gut is in mortal danger right now or some shit. It's a pretty big spectrum. All I'm saying is no need to talk about anyone's body really unless you're their doctor and you know for a fact they have these risks.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Ukrajijajajana wrote:

I can't believe I'm actually getting involved in this, but this at least seems to be in good faith, so...

I just never get these arguments. Nobody's advocating lying to people with obviously unhealthy lifestyles or whatever. My guess is these fat people know perfectly well what they're doing and don't really need condescension or people telling them what's what, they're not children. Most of em are perfectly in reality.

And there's such a wide expanse of body types too. Lots of the people I see making arguments like yours end up equating "not perfectly in shape" with "bloated monstrosity health risk" like anyone with a gut is in mortal danger right now or some shit. It's a pretty big spectrum. All I'm saying is no need to talk about anyone's body really unless you're their doctor and you know for a fact they have these risks.

I agree with everything that you're saying in principle. And like I said, people deserve to be treated with kindness and that would preclude any kind of condescending attitudes.

I just think it is disingenuous for the poster I was replying to, to dismiss an entire industry and accuse it of being thoroughly toxic, because sometimes the people in the industry will give someone some hard truth based advice instead of a more, let's say, pedagogical approach.

I used to be overweight by quite a bit and the only time I got serious about getting to a healthy weight is when I heard some things I didn't want to initially hear. Yeah sure, this example cannot be extrapolated to be universal, but still.

And for the record, I don't see anyone walking around the street telling overweight people to stop eating and start walking, at random. But people WILL hear stuff like this if they go looking for it. If that's the case, people should be prepared to hear a degree of criticism, non sugar coated.

People give their advice to others that ask for it based on their own experience. They're not always correct and accurate, and that's normal. But of 9/10, an overweight looking person has an unhealthy lifestyle, then telling the fitness guy that they're full of shit because they happened to talk to the 1/10 person who is healthy, doesn't make sense to me. Just like doctors, people are allowed to ask for more than one opinion.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:29 pm 

If there's anything to what you and the doctors you're talking about say, it renders the entire concept of body positivity and acceptance irrational. And since it's not irrational to anybody who's not an asshole, my stance hasn't changed.
Ukrajijajajana wrote:
I used to be overweight by quite a bit and the only time I got serious about getting to a healthy weight is when I heard some things I didn't want to initially hear.

I'm sorry you were told that. I know what it feels like and no one deserves it.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:36 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
If there's anything to what you and the doctors you're talking about say, it renders the entire concept of body positivity and acceptance irrational. And since it's not irrational to anybody who's not an asshole, my stance hasn't changed.
Ukrajijajajana wrote:
I used to be overweight by quite a bit and the only time I got serious about getting to a healthy weight is when I heard some things I didn't want to initially hear.

I'm sorry you were told that. I know what it feels like and no one deserves it.

Fair response. I just don't know what we can't have both? Is it not possible to not be an asshole while still giving someone else some rational diet and fitness advice? I think it is possible.

Anyway, this sidequest discussion has gone on far enough and its ultimately off topic, so ill try and refrain from reiterating anything that's already been said

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:03 pm 

Ukrajijajajana wrote:

I agree with everything that you're saying in principle. And like I said, people deserve to be treated with kindness and that would preclude any kind of condescending attitudes.

I just think it is disingenuous for the poster I was replying to, to dismiss an entire industry and accuse it of being thoroughly toxic, because sometimes the people in the industry will give someone some hard truth based advice instead of a more, let's say, pedagogical approach.

I used to be overweight by quite a bit and the only time I got serious about getting to a healthy weight is when I heard some things I didn't want to initially hear. Yeah sure, this example cannot be extrapolated to be universal, but still.

And for the record, I don't see anyone walking around the street telling overweight people to stop eating and start walking, at random. But people WILL hear stuff like this if they go looking for it. If that's the case, people should be prepared to hear a degree of criticism, non sugar coated.

People give their advice to others that ask for it based on their own experience. They're not always correct and accurate, and that's normal. But of 9/10, an overweight looking person has an unhealthy lifestyle, then telling the fitness guy that they're full of shit because they happened to talk to the 1/10 person who is healthy, doesn't make sense to me. Just like doctors, people are allowed to ask for more than one opinion.

I'm overweight and I know it, it's not like when people say I'm overweight or fat they're telling me something I don't already know. I just have a very hard time getting motivated and get discouraged/depressed easily so it's hard for me to get a good routine.

Klaus Haas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:06 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
In_Zane wrote:
TheArchivist wrote:

I can't wait for Terry Glaze to start touring under Pantera name. It's his band too, he is an original member after all.

This is a good point you make. The Pantera name existed before Phil, but a platinum-selling band sure didn’t. Yes, I would be interested to hear a new Pantera album, but I don’t know if Zakk can write riffs like that. But then again, neither could Dimebag until Phil molded him into something good - like a drill sergeant. I certainly wouldn’t oppose a new Pantera record on any moral grounds; Phil Ouze is Pantera. New Pantera music sounds like a lot of fun.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:46 pm 

Klaus Haas wrote:
New Pantera music sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah, like a trainwreck kind of fun.

I could be listening to our best known local Iron Maiden cover band right now but I'd rather have a listen to the original, dead or alive.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:30 pm 

A Pantera album without the Abbotts will be on par with Paul DiAnno's solo work.

DemonFilth2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:28 am 

Why are so many of you against a new release? It's still 1/2 the classic lineup. The two replacement guys aren't no name scrubs, either. I'm more than willing to give it a fair chance.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:37 am 

DemonFilth2001 wrote:
Why are so many of you against a new release? It's still 1/2 the classic lineup. The two replacement guys aren't no name scrubs, either. I'm more than willing to give it a fair chance.

It's been 22 years since the last Pantera album released, and one half of the classic line up ain't as strong as they were back then. Even if they do decide to release a new album, I highly doubt it's gonna live up to their earlier works.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:38 pm 

DemonFilth2001 wrote:

I mean, Down III had those two same guys under a different name but people didn't care nearly as much.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:15 pm 

Because Phil could still sing, and they weren’t claiming to be a band where the other half of the membership wouldn’t have approved of their use of the name
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:01 pm 

and the missing half of said classic lineup are arguably the more important half.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:56 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
and the missing half of said classic lineup are arguably the more important half.

Half right. I think the big draws were Diamond Darrell and Phil.

DemonFilth2001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:28 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:

Half right. I think the big draws were Diamond Darrell and Phil.

True. No one gave a damn about old Vinnie. Diamond was somewhat respected. Of course, after his death, he was elevated to guitar wizard (he was average).

Phil was Pantera. Before he joined, they were a crappy glam band.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next