Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic

When did you first hear about/start using M-A?
2002-2003 - I'm a true OG! 12%  12%  [ 65 ]
2004-2008 - Early member 44%  44%  [ 234 ]
2009-2014 - Veteran user 28%  28%  [ 147 ]
2015-2019 - I'm in the new guard 8%  8%  [ 44 ]
2020-2022 - I'm a pandemic baby! 6%  6%  [ 29 ]
I'm so old, I can't even remember 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 527
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lefty ZX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:24 pm 

First of all, congrats for the 20 years, I'm frequently usng the website since 2011, due to a recomendation of a friend of mine, I use it almost daily.
Thanks for all these years, all the info, all the bands I 've discover, have been an incredible journey, cheers and go for more decades!!

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:30 pm 

ThrashTilDeath530 wrote:
Congrats guys.

This site has probably done more for the metal community than you'll ever fully realize.

Hear! Hear!

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:36 pm 

I created an account only last year, but i've been visiting the site for around 16 years now. Time flies, really.
I remember being absolutely stunned by the existence of such a place in the internet. I was into Metal for only 1 or 2 years back then, so i was really eager to obtain more and more information. Which is why this glorious realm became one of my favorite places ever.
Kudos to all the staff behind such a monstrous endeavor and cheers to all heavy music peers!

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:40 pm 

I was a silence follower from 2009

Best regards and good luck for future
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:42 pm 

Grats on the big 20, and thanks to everyone keeping this amazing place running! Started visiting MA around 2009/2010 - I remember using the old layout for a short while, and it's been an important part of my life ever since. :np:

Icon_of_Sin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:13 pm 

I joined this website a bit under a year after I discovered metal and it has remained a site that I use regularly. I rarely post here but I'm always lurking around and I contribute here and there (mostly adding lyrics). I'll keep visiting this site until it either dies or until I die, whichever comes first.

Dying_Hope
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:18 pm 

Oh man... 20 years. I am a member over 10 years ago. Half the time.... i love this site.❤️❤️❤️❤️

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:13 pm 

I've been thinking about this day since this year began, wondering how it would go. I'm not disappointed by this thread. Some of these ancedotes are interesting.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Geisterkarle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:15 pm 

True Lurker here; if you look at the amount I posted since 2007... :D

I think I registered quite quickly after finding this site - and I don't know how I did that :P

But my definite go to for checking "anything" in the world of Metal!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:23 pm 

Geisterkarle wrote:

I think I registered quite quickly after finding this site - and I don't know how I did that :P

You're the #1 lurker so far. Those are impressive numbers.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

OMGItsEvy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:27 pm 

This website brought back many memories discovering music here since info was really scarce back in the 00's. Glad the site's still around and hope it'll continue to do what it does best. Nothing will ever beat the discovery phase I had when I used to go on Metal Archives every single day after school just to look for new metal bands. I'm hoping that same feeling was never lost on anyone.

Wish y'all the best.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:56 pm 

Ye gods, this site has been half my life. I lurked for a bit on the old metal-rules forums when they were still mildly tolerable to read, when metal-archives' existence was revealed there. It very quickly proved itself to be the best metal-related site and forum on the internet right from the start, so it didn't take me too long to brave showing myself and make my first post. It was some long-ass post in a discussion about Western esotericism which I happened to be following a university course on. I was expecting to be savaged, but I was actually quite warmly received and continued to post quite a lot in the following years (sadly most of my posting history is gone with the rest of the first couple years of this forum because of a number of server crashes back then. Still bums me out a bit.)

I may not post a lot nowadays, but I lurk here pretty much daily still. This place is still handily the best metal site and forum on the internet.

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:14 pm 

Happy anniversary.

I started to lurk around 2006 but created my first profile in 2007. Excellent source for heavy metal fans.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:18 pm 

Wow.....20 years. And I was old then!! :lol: :lol:

Congrats. This is still the best resource for anything metal on the fucking planet and, honestly, I do not see that changing. MA is in institution now...that's an amazing accomplishment! Eternal Hails!! :metal:

Like your reviews?

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:19 pm 

Geisterkarle wrote:

Now you must not post anything again for another 15 years!

Here's to another 20 years! :beer:

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:22 pm 

I was maybe 10/11 when I joined the site. Been an active user since.
Eh Pop is meant for money garbage to be honest. You can really tell that the mainstream society are truly obsessed with it. They can really just love the very clean vocals and all the time they don't even use guitars.

SluosFoRetnuh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:27 pm 

I can remember how I discovered this site. Back in the year 2008 (I'm not sure), I discovered the band Dark Fortress on Youtube. I can't remember the song I listened to, but I'm sure it was from the album Eidolon. Then I googled Dark Fortress. One of the results came from the Metal Archives. I opened it, and the rest is history. Although I haven't contributed to the site significantly (only two times in which I found two mistakes on the descriptions of two bands, All That Remains and Epica), this site has become one of the sites that I visit every day. I love this site. I just found in the year 2021 the Metal Archives app, it is great to use instead of the website on mobile.

Thanks a lot, and congratulations to Morrigan and Hellblazer for creating this site. It has become a part of my life.

shadowzgoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:57 pm 

MA is a helpful tool for me to discover new bands and independent labels for my journalism interest - I have done countless reviews in part thanks to MA's advanced search tool to see what releases are coming out and when.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:42 pm 

This is the greatest website in existence. I'll echo everyone's comments on how amazing of a resource it has been.

The one thing I'd add that is great about MA is the longevity of the forums. Most of my favourite forums either died, or are hanging on by a thread, but MA is the only one still going strong!

filipecosteira
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:55 pm 

Hello,

This site has been my second home for more than a decade. My metal knowlege has been growing ever since.

Thanks for the help finding new bands and albums! Metal Archives are the most important site in the internet about metal music!

Hail to Metal Archives!!! Long Live the KING!! :beer: :headbang:

Teleboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:28 pm 

I bookmarked MA years upon years ago and used it as a reference. Noticed the forum/message board earlier this year and that's when I created my account. Has been interesting to read some of the old topic. Congrats on the milestone. Well done!

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:29 pm 

I started using this site back in 2006 to find bands and then in 2008 decided to add a mate's shitty groove metal band onto the site and even submitted a few horribly written reviews, stopped doing edits/band submissions for a few years and then came back to add mate's bands and have eventually ended up on over 400 bands plus a handful of reviews. Love this site and appreciate what it offers. Neigh Sayers can complain all they want about the rules & guidelines but this site has become incredibly important for metal on the internet.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:39 pm 

Hm, if you look at the poll, 2015-2022 is 7 years (35%) of the website's existence, but only 14% of the respondents discovered the website in that timeframe. Is MA not as popular with younger audiences? Is metal in general losing popularity? Would we see different results if we were polling the main site versus just the forum? Interesting to interpret those results...

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:46 pm 

Think I started using this site and the forums around early 2005 (under a different username). learned of it from being a frequent poster on the Metal-Rules forums. Pretty wild that I'm still in contact with quite a few users from back then, even now (from both M-R and M-A). Definitely has had a large impact on my life, even outside of my music interests. Groovy ass community for sure.

Last edited by doomicus on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:49 pm 

HBD MA!

I started using MA somewhere around 2004-2005. Interesting times back then. Prior to that I had been using websites like allmusic and darklyrics to figure out discographies. Myspace for listening.
Didn't sign up or look at the forums until very recently though.

audeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:58 pm 

I Discover Metal archive via #Neoblast channel on MIRC I don't remember the year but... long time ago lol

Drinkenstein
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:59 pm 

Thank you to everyone who has made this site possible for 20 god damn years! Idk what I'd do without it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:01 pm 

2006 was when I discovered this website. Happy 20 years! :beer:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:30 pm 

Been using it since 2005. Took a few years before I realised you could join it.

As someone said earlier, this site has been invaluable. It's the first point of call when I'm purchasing music.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:38 pm 

I can't remember whether it was 2008 or 2009 when I joined and began browsing this site extensively. I submitted my first review, I think it was either in late 2008 or early 2009, and I have been here since. I still check in at least once every other day, if not every day. In 2009, It was still "Version 1" back then, "Witcher" was the main gatekeeper of band approvals (and he turned down a couple of my submissions for lack of physical release, though I believe both have since been added by other users) and Nightgaunt ("The Bizarre lattices were everywhere...") Napero ("Chest wounds suck!") and some guy named "Failsafeman" were the three main forum moderators. I dont know if any of these guys are still around; I haven't heard from Failsafeman and Nightgaunt in years.

Congradulations and thanks to Morrigan and Hellblazer, and to all the staff members who keep things running, manage the huge database, and do all the thankless tasks to keep this one of my favorite websites through all these years.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:45 pm 

One of the best decisions I ever made was joining this site and using probably the greatest resource for a metal listener ever. Still remember where I was when I joined here (the exact room I'm sitting in as I type this right now). 16 years ago, damn, half my entire life I've been using this site. It's far different than it used to be and is still trucking along. Thank you for everything, Morri + HB!

Snapshot of this site on July 20th, 2002.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:58 pm 

I made my first band submission September 22, 2002. Gotham City. Have been on here just about every day since then.

Big thanks to Morri and Blazer, good job!

thebloodfeaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:10 pm 

Happy 20th Anniversary Metal-Archives!

I was in college and joined here from the defunct website Morrigan mentioned (I assume referring to Metal-Rules).

I had a much bigger post count back in those days, but I think something happened at some point that wiped out the post count. Maybe a server change or something.

I'm 40 now and it's crazy to think this site has been a constant part of half of my life.

You've truly given our world a gift. Thank you Morrigan!

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:12 pm 

Looking at the poll I find it insane how many people have been active on this site for that long. Cheers everyone!

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:30 pm 

Cheers on 20 years! Rarely does a day go by when I don’t check the forums or the main site for ideas about what to listen to next. The whole site is just a monumental accomplishment. Feel like you’ve contributed something valuable, because you have.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:32 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Snapshot of this site on July 20th, 2002.

Wow, nice blast from the past!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:33 pm 

First time I came to this site was after posing at metalrules.com and thinking it was elitist as fuck. In the 2000-2010 period. Best metal site on the internet.

aryan_wind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:55 pm 

Really admire what you guys did. Totally game changer.
My friend and I tried to make an Iranian version of MA back in 2004. It was up for a while, but it was banned and shut down by the internet authorities, then we gave up.

TheTenOfSwords
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:06 pm 

I found this website in 2007. I don't remember how, probably Googling Megadeth or Helloween, some of the first metal bands I got into. Been visiting the site ever since, so that's about 15 years. Wow. I distinctly remember going through a bunch of reviews and found myself drawn to Hells_unicorn and autothrall's reviews, of course some other notable names, but those are the top 2 for me.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:23 pm 

I made my account while bored one day after hurricane Sandy fucked everything up here, but I heard of the site and have been using it as a resource since all the way back in 2004, maybe 2-3 months after I got into metal.

Man, that was 18 years ago. Holy shit, I was a freshman in high school back then

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next