Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:12 pm 

Longstanding US death metal/grindcore unit Exhumed will release their tenth full length, To The Dead, on October 21 through Relapse Records. From the press release:

Quote:
EXHUMED return from the depths with their macabre new album, To the Dead! The band' storied career needs no introduction; EXHUMED are the pioneers of blood-soaked "Gore" Metal. To the Dead is the culmination of decades upon decades of nightmarish riffs, obliterating blast beats, and hellish screams from the very depths the band crawled out from!

"To The Dead is a destination," EXHUMED mastermind Matt Harvey says. "A rotting world populated by the grotesquely twisted truths of our waking world and the decaying fallout of our most deranged ambitions. But it's also a title that evokes a celebration of, and an invitation into the gore-soaked world of EXHUMED."

The very celebration of EXHUMED's history is ever-present on this album. "We've expanded the writing team on the record to include former members Mike Beams, Leon del Muerte, Matt Widener and Bud Burke in an effort to celebrate the band's history - at this point decades of it - and I think the resulting record is an excellent testament to the surprising longevity of Gore Fucking Metal!" Harvey says.

So please, accept the band's humble invitation and sink six feet down to their level. EXHUMED can't wait for you to get a whiff of what they've cooked up - this will be the most fun you've ever had being disgusted!

Tracklisting:
1. Putrescine and Cadaverine
2. Drained of Color
3. Carbonized
4. Rank and Defiled
5. Lurid, Shocking, and Vile
6. Undertaking the Overkilled
7. Necrotica
8. No Headstone Unturned
9. Defecated
10. Disgusted

Drained of Color has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

It's hard to say for sure given there's only one track out, but it seems like Exhumed are moving back to the sound of albums like Necrocracy and Death Revenge compared to their last album which was a bit of a throwback to their early goregrind sound. I think this album may end up being a bit of a "best of" in terms of drawing from all of their different eras, especially considering the number of former members involved in the songwriting.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:58 pm 

New Exhumed is always a good time.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:19 am 

Haha that cover is dodgy as hell, but I love Exhumed and Matt Harvey so this is great news!

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:09 am 

Based off the single, I'm looking forward to this album. Kind of interesting that they brought in former bandmates to help with the songwriting, but perhaps it's nice to have people you trust helping out after 8 records.

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:51 am 

According to the video, that is going to be one hell of a boring, been-there-done-that-a-thousand-times recording, not to mention their infantile aesthetic. Grown men dealing with cadavers and zombies and shit...

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:47 pm 

I’m trying to be less negative and not post on things I don’t like (and just keep it to myself), but I have to say Mike Hamilton is just not the right drummer for this band. Phenomenal drummer overall, but I think that Exhumed would be better served with a loose, old school drummer rather than an uber-tight technical drummer.

The last three albums could use a little old school “slop”, as it were. Some decent songs but the very rigid, tight drum performances take it down a notch (to me).

I get the same vibe from this new single. Fine song at all, but could be better with a loose intensity in the drum performance.

His work in Deeds Of Flesh is outstanding, to be fair, and that’s a band much better suited to his ultra tight style.
Obliteration

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:42 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
I’m trying to be less negative and not post on things I don’t like (and just keep it to myself), but I have to say Mike Hamilton is just not the right drummer for this band. Phenomenal drummer overall, but I think that Exhumed would be better served with a loose, old school drummer rather than an uber-tight technical drummer.

The last three albums could use a little old school “slop”, as it were. Some decent songs but the very rigid, tight drum performances take it down a notch (to me).

I get the same vibe from this new single. Fine song at all, but could be better with a loose intensity in the drum performance.

His work in Deeds Of Flesh is outstanding, to be fair, and that’s a band much better suited to his ultra tight style.

This is pretty dead on. I mean I still enjoy these records but yes I think a looser drummer would give it some magic.

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:49 pm 

Col Jones' drumming is certainly missed. The drum sound is clearly full of hit replacement and editing, and it always bothers me when it sounds that obvious.

I was talking about reunion era Exhumed with my buddy yesterday. "Necrocracy" has been my favourite, but I honestly can't remember a thing about "Death Revenge." I tried to get into it but it just never really got me. Although I hadn't listened for a while until yesterday, "Horror" was definitely an easier listen with it being short and sweet.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:34 pm 

Mike is just not a loose drummer. He's from the old school, but he's always been from the Dave Culross school of being a powerful and hard-hitting drummer who is also extremely tight, precise, and controlled. Having seen the man live plenty of times, I don't think they needed to do very much to his tracks - he's not a drummer who makes that many mistakes or comes unprepared.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:16 pm 

orphy wrote:
Based off the single, I'm looking forward to this album. Kind of interesting that they brought in former bandmates to help with the songwriting, but perhaps it's nice to have people you trust helping out after 8 records.

I'd like to see other bands that have been around this long with so many former members still be involved with the creative process now and then, but I also understand that most of them probably don't have the same close friendship that everyone in Exhumed/Impaled/Ghoul/etc. do. Impaled were one of the highlights at MDF this year, and it's easy to see how much those guys still love each other and performing.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:44 pm 

Here's the second single, definitely more grind oriented than the first single but still very much in that Necrocracy/Death Revenge wheelhouse:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:50 pm 

That’s a sick track. Shaping up to be their best in a while imo.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:28 pm 

Here's the closing track (and longest song):

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:19 pm 

This album is solid! I've had the opportunity to give it a couple listens and am digging it for sure. I'll likely buy a copy, but I've been splurging on so many other new releases that I should probably just wait a little bit.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:56 am 

I think this album is great. I agree Hamilton is alittle bit too tight for them and I feel like the vocals are alitte buried in the mix which makes it feel like it loses some of its raw energy. Overall though this is a great album and delivers the classic Exhumed sound that few others can replicate.

Reply to topic