Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:35 am 

Shouldn't Beethoven be on here too for song writing credits? And Gustav Holst? And Carl Orff?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:39 am 

Opus wrote:
Shouldn't Beethoven be on here too for song writing credits? And Gustav Holst? And Carl Orff?

It's not about songwriting credits, it's about performing credits.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:58 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Frate_Cesare/107800

a 76 years old Franciscan friar it's not really a common sight here :lol:

Are we all going to just skip over this and not mention how fucking cool this is?

Quote:
Cesare Bonizzi has been a Franciscan Friar since 1975, and he was ordained as a priest in 1983. In 1990 he began to sing and record albums in order to express Catholic values, and in the same year he got in touch with metal after attending a Metallica show in Italy.

We need Bonizzi to make a comeback and lend those pipes to some epic doom stuff.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:15 am 

Required Fields wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Tim_McGraw/43382

Tim McGraw has an artist page here, too.

And for singing background vocals on one single shitty latter day Def Leppard song...! It's hard to imagine anyone so unmetal being on the archives on thinner grounds.

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Opus wrote:

It's not about songwriting credits, it's about performing credits.

It's not even that: they simply didn't write music for the metal albums that use their music. It would be like saying Alex Jones is the singer of The Alex Jones Prison Planet. Thank God he doesn't have an artist page...

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:40 am 

Huey Lewis is on here for some work he did with Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott's solo work. I always found that hilarious given he's about the most un-metal artist I can think of.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 pm 

Mike Patton got Rhea Perlman of Cheers fame to do narration for a Mr. Bungle song.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:55 pm 

The Ultimate Warrior has a page on here for doing narration for a Winds of Plague Album. https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ior/181528

Peter Cullen used his best Optimus Prime voice doing an intro for a Monolith Deathcult song, shame he wasn't using his Eeyore voice instead.
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... len/549426

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:31 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
For me, I'll point out there is a page for the composer for the Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack and the DOOM 2016 soundtrack.

This one is just, wow, and Syar is actually not bad!

On the topic of video games, Taro Bando, though he's mostly known for the F-Zero X soundtrack which is definitely metal. I wonder how many more video game composers are actually on MA somewhere; I know Daisuke Ishiwatari has his own page but given the kind of music Guilty Gear has, it makes sense.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:17 am 

This thread would be pretty much empty if it weren't for Ozzy it seems

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 am 

laxskinn wrote:
This thread would be pretty much empty if it weren't for Ozzy it seems

Naah, Max Cavalera just loves to collaborate with almost anyone willing to play with him :D

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:44 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Good ol' heavy metal legend... Ghostemane?

Turns out he has a black metal side project called Baader-Meinhof. Who would have thought.

It's actually not bad. I like some of that trap/trap-metal/ragecore stuff like Ghostemane, City Morgue, XXX Tentacion and Ho99or, as well as whatever style of rap you'd call Clipping. I've also really started to dig some old horrorcore like Brotha Lynch Hung, Gravediggaz and Flatlinerz, but I digress.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:55 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
It's actually not bad. I like some of that trap/trap-metal/ragecore stuff like Ghostemane, City Morgue, XXX Tentacion and Ho99or, as well as whatever style of rap you'd call Clipping. I've also really started to dig some old horrorcore like Brotha Lynch Hung, Gravediggaz and Flatlinerz, but I digress.

Uh, why?

recyclage wrote:

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:12 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Uh, why?

Uh, why you like certain music?

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:40 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Uh, why?

What do you mean?

Why do you like certain kinds of music?

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:09 pm 

Rap music sucks! Too similar to groove metal. The instrumentation is just as braindead. Repeating the same 4 notes for 3 minutes.

recyclage wrote:

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:00 pm 

Rap music sucks! Too similar to groove metal. The instrumentation is just as braindead. Repeating the same 4 notes for 3 minutes.

I'm not into most rap, but recently over the years there has been some rap I've started to like, and it's never really about "instrumentation" because a lot of the time not much is used (or at least not TRADITIONAL instrumentation like guitars, bass, etc.), but more about the beat and feel of the lyrics. I wouldn't consider rap to be similar to groove metal either, but I'm not all that into groove metal other than Pantera, Exhorder and maybe a few more random bands like Prong or the first Machine Head album.

It's just weird to ask someone why they like certain music. I mean, you can give explanations to some extent, but for the most part, we like what we like.

I would recommend listening to Clipping. You probably still won't like them, but if there's any rap you might like, it might be them, because they are just sick IMO, and probably my favorite rap artists:

Listen to this track and just tell me it's "braindead." I mean REALLY listen to the dark lyrics and this guy's flow, ESPECIALLY the whole part at 2:27. You can tell he's actually really seen some shit go down too. He doesn't sound like he's making anything up and it sounds like he's been around actual gang warfare. This track makes the hair on my arms stand on end: https://youtu.be/fIrpLBShe1A

And then this is also great: https://youtu.be/1tFXIy7OWos

DEFINITELY NOT mindless.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:27 pm 

Satire? Please be satire.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:41 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I would recommend listening to Clipping. You probably still won't like them, but if there's any rap you might like, it might be them, because they are just sick IMO, and probably my favorite rap artists:

Listen to this track and just tell me it's "braindead." I mean REALLY listen to the dark lyrics and this guy's flow, ESPECIALLY the whole part at 2:27. You can tell he's actually really seen some shit go down too. He doesn't sound like he's making anything up and it sounds like he's been around actual gang warfare. This track makes the hair on my arms stand on end: https://youtu.be/fIrpLBShe1A

I'm not a huge fan of rap music, but I've heard Clipping in the past and this guy is extremely talented. Really enjoy this project. The song you linked is one I hadn't heard before and I enjoyed that, too.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:42 pm 

I'm not sure how unusual his inclusion might be, given that Current 93 is pretty dark musically and lyrically, but here is David Tibet:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ibet/94555

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:15 am 

AxeCapitol wrote:

Satire? Please be satire.

I don't think it's that odd to say considering how much negative reviews of groove metal albums—on this website—mention or allude to hip-hop and hip-hop culture. Not to mention plenty of rappers (roughly around the time groove metal was taking off at least) often try to sound very masculine and intimidating, not unlike groove metal "toughguys". There are also music artists combine elements of groove metal and rap together.
(Go to 3:28)

recyclage wrote:

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:45 am 

Similar to rap music does not equal invariably bad. And groove metal also doesn't inherently equal rap-influenced. Even so, many metal fans have a bizarre aversion to rap music, and that's a kind of music that has a heavy emphasis on rhythm and groove. So does groove metal - it's in the name. But that's where the similarities end a lot of the time, really. That Helmet song you posted features House of Pain, a hip hop group that had Limp Bizkit's turntablist in it, so it's not representative of Helmet's discography.

Speaking of Helmet, no groove metal or nu metal band grooved as good as they did circa their inception to 1994. Their first three albums are absolute classics of 90s heavy music.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:07 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool, if I remember correctly you have said your age was somewhere in the teens, am I remembering that correctly? You seem to spout off a lot of metal elitist non-sense, but don't worry, I think it's extremely common for teenage metalheads to go through this phase, I know I did. One day you will realize different people look for different things in music. Not everyone wants to headbang to complex heavy guitar riffing. Some people just want a beat they can dance to. And that's ok. Or look for whatever their chosen genres of music have to offer, even if its something a metalhead might not care about. One thing I've seen in recent years on online music forums is young people with more eclectic tastes in music than past generations. There was a time where if you liked metal, you HAD to hate grunge. There was a time where if you liked metal, you HAD to hate rap. And rap fans HAD to hate really any form of rock. There was a time where if you liked black metal, you HAD to hate death metal. The was a time if you liked whatever metal genres pre-dated nu-metal, you HAD to hate nu-metal. All these silly divisions for no other reason than herd mentality. I see you often pushing for the herd mentality, completely incredulous why someone here would like x band or y genre based on a number of reviews here. First, the reviewers don't speak for everyone. Second, a lot of those reviews were written when the herd mentality divisions were far more prominent than they are now. Thirdly, you yourself are falling directly into the herd mentality, a lot of the times the explanation you give of why x user here should hate y music is based on the fact the general consensus is/was different based on the reviews here, rather than your own analysis of the music that you don't think should be liked.

My own musical tastes are still very narrow, I don't listen to rap, dance, techno, trap, country, pop, etc etc, but I understand that it's ok for others to like it, because they're getting something out of it that I might not care to get out of it. And even though my tastes are very narrow, I think it's cool that in general individuals' music taste is broadening. You shouldn't be shunned for liking multiple genres. It's actually something I respect now a days.

Basically the gist of what I'm saying is you keep spouting a whole bunch of nonsense that most of us probably also spouted at your age, but grew out of, and you may one day grow out of it too, and I hope you do. It's actually really freeing not worrying about policing other people's taste in music and not worrying about others policing yours.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:09 am 

You're going to wish you had a time machine eventually to come back and tell your younger self to shut the fuck up. This kind of stuff is so embarrassing.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:24 am 

Not liking rap is one thing, but how is it similar to groove metal? :scratch:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:59 am 

Here, I got you.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:06 pm 

So I got looking at Ozzy's Prince of Darkness compilation, as one of the discs contains some collaborations he'd done over the years. We've got some more rappers like DMX members of Wu-Tang Clan on here, but also, Miss Piggy from The Muppets (no picture though).

Chester Bennington has a page for appearing on a Motley Crue single.

Travis Barker does a fair bit of guest work, so he's on here for appearing on a Suicidal Tendencies release.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:26 pm 

If I had a nickel for every time a country singer got an artist page on the Metal Archives after they guested on a late-era Def Leppard album, I would have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... uss/941451

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:48 pm 

Ah, Alison Krauss. One of the most incredible voices I've heard.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:50 pm 

Slater922 wrote:

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Even so, many metal fans have a bizarre aversion to rap music, and that's a kind of music that has a heavy emphasis on rhythm and groove. So does groove metal - it's in the name. But that's where the similarities end a lot of the time, really.

recyclage wrote:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm 

Slater922 wrote:

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Even so, many metal fans have a bizarre aversion to rap music, and that's a kind of music that has a heavy emphasis on rhythm and groove. So does groove metal - it's in the name. But that's where the similarities end a lot of the time, really.

I guess you might have a case when talking about "grooviness", but stylistically, they take on very different directions.

Also, won't nu metal be a better comparison?

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:42 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
So I got looking at Ozzy's Prince of Darkness compilation, as one of the discs contains some collaborations he'd done over the years. We've got some more rappers like DMX members of Wu-Tang Clan on here, but also, Miss Piggy from The Muppets (no picture though).

Good catch, because it had to be removed, characters aren't eligible as actual artists to be credited :oh shit:

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:10 am 

. Repeating the same 4 notes for 3 minutes.

Sounds like DSBM

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:20 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
If I had a nickel for every time a country singer got an artist page on the Metal Archives after they guested on a late-era Def Leppard album, I would have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... uss/941451

And then there's Hank Williams III, who one day just decided, "I think my next album will be full on stoner doom metal." :lol:

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:48 pm 

Not as weird when you realize he was in Superjoint Ritual too.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:34 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Not as weird when you realize he was in Superjoint Ritual too.

Damn, I forgot about that.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:37 pm 

Carlinhos Brown!!!

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... own/134208

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:56 pm 

Probably unknown outside of Canada, but hard rocker Breen Leboeuf's presence is remarkable on a metal site:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... euf/635485
He's a true hard rocker, and though the band Offenbach, which he joined in the mid 70s, had started out with some pretty good organ-infused rock and whose first release (1972) could rival with some proto-metal releases, they turned somewhat more commercial by the time Mr. LeBoeuf joined them. He was also Céline Dion's bass player at some point.

This time known in Québec only: Patrick Sénécal, an established writer known for horror novels, but he's not here for lyrics but rather for his previous role as singer in a metal band.. https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... cal/304481. Though he's a household name here, few people know that he used to sing.

project23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:17 pm 

Brian Setzer :

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... zer/189403

The drummer of Stray Cats used to be here also in connection to The Head Cat but their page has been removed.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:57 pm 

That Twisted Sister song sure did get a bunch of unexpected people on the Archives.

More Canadian stuff.. Randall Prescott
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... ott/763280

Country music pioneer..
https://cmaontario.ca/ontarios-country- ... mber-2021/

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:25 pm 

Nice idea for a thread! Lots of interesting mentions but there's also Lenny Kravitz! With the most casual explanation, moreover:
Quote:
The cover of the KISS song "Black Diamond" (track 9) was done during Blood Feast's sessions for the unreleased "The Last Remains" album, around 1988. Well-known singer-songwriter Lenny Kravitz had recording sessions for his first album right after Blood Feast's sessions, and they had begun to check out a little bit of what each other were recording. This is how he ended up doing backing vocals for the song.

A bit less peculiarly, the site features also not one but two Static-X members (Wayne Static and Ken Jay) for having been shortly in the thrash band Stygian, and even The Smashing Pumpkins' frontman Billy Corgan. Adding to the latter, I'm now finding out a lot more non-metal guests on that Iommi album - go check out for yourself, but they include Serj Tankian, Brian May, Henry Rollins, Billy Idol, Skin, and more.

But if we talk about unusual, who more unusual than an infomercial host? All thanks to our mighty parody band Nanowar of Steel:
Quote:
Italian actor and TV host, famous for his infomercials, often related to pots and mattresses. [...] Nanowar of Steel dedicated their song "Giorgio Mastrota (The Keeper of Inox Steel)", which later appeared on their 2014 album A Knight at the Opera, to him. He later appeared as a guest vocalist on stage with the band in 2018, and finally on an official release with 2021's Italian Folk Metal.

(He proved to be a good vocalist, may I add.)

It's the dawn of descending...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next