Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am 

I always wondered why Acid Bath didn't go with a more professional looking cover for their landmark album When the Kite String Pops. Why this crude painting of a clown? Recently, a friend informed me that the painting was made by Jim Gacy, a terrible and disgusting serial killer I had somehow never heard of. I read about the dude, and now I'm disturbed whenever I look at this artwork. I'm sure there are loads of other deceptive or disturbing covers in metal, tell me a bit about the ones you know of. Dawn of the Black Hearts is off-limits, we all know that story.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:20 pm 

I don't know the story of Dawn of the Black Hearts.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:34 pm 

The Canadian post-black metal band Numenorean used an autopsy photograph of a two-year-old girl for the uncensored version of their debut album's cover art. The girl was murdered by her father in 1970 as part of a triple homicide that included her mother and sister. Pretty tasteless choice of artwork in my opinion.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:48 pm 

praey wrote:
The Canadian post-black metal band Numenorean used an autopsy photograph of a two-year-old girl for the uncensored version of their debut album's cover art. The girl was murdered by her father in 1970 as part of a triple homicide that included her mother and sister. Pretty tasteless choice of artwork in my opinion.

Yup, I forgot about that one. I was gonna try Numenorean at some point but I decided not to after seeing that cover.

CoconutBackwards wrote:

It involves a troubled young man, a shotgun, and a polaroid camera. Just read up on the band Mayhem.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:07 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Recently, a friend informed me that the painting was made by Jim Gacy, a terrible and disgusting serial killer I had somehow never heard of. I read about the dude, and now I'm disturbed whenever I look at this artwork.

John Wayne Gacy tends to come up a lot in artwork and lyrics/serial killer themed concepts though. Case in point;

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... lity/16940

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:14 pm 

Wasn't there a French artist who worked with a lot of famous power metal bands, who ended up brutally murdering his grandfather? I'm not exactly a huge power metal guy so I can't remember his name or which bands he worked with offhand.

Also, while not as striking as Dawn of the Black Hearts, there's Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions which depicts Einar Andre Fredriksen (of Funeral) a few years before his suicide...and...yeah, speaks for itself. Always found it pretty disturbing.
Spoiler: show

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:16 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
praey wrote:

Yup, I forgot about that one. I was gonna try Numenorean at some point but I decided not to after seeing that cover.

CoconutBackwards wrote:

It involves a troubled young man, a shotgun, and a polaroid camera. Just read up on the band Mayhem.

Ohhhhh. I didn't realize that was the name of the album.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:24 pm 

To be honest, Dawn of the Black Hearts is one of the more tame gore covers out there. There's probably a fucked up story for every poor person who ends up on the cover of a goregrind album. It's a shame that that's a thing, just let the dead rest.

That reminds me, does anyone know what's up with the Molesting The Decapitated cover? Is that real? I sincerely hope not...

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:37 pm 

true_death wrote:
Wasn't there a French artist who worked with a lot of famous power metal bands, who ended up brutally murdering his grandfather? I'm not exactly a huge power metal guy so I can't remember his name or which bands he worked with offhand.

Had to look this up, but it's probably Jean-Pascal Fournier who also did At the Heart of Winter.

Re: autopsy photos as album art, if bands absolutely insist on doing that, IMO it should at least be a public figure like JFK on the Wake Up and Smell the Carcass compilation. Although even that I wouldn't want in my collection.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:49 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
That reminds me, does anyone know what's up with the Molesting The Decapitated cover? Is that real? I sincerely hope not...

It's real and from Joel-Peter Witkin. Most of his work incorporates corpses or parts of them. Another of his works was used for Been Caught Buttering by Pungent Stench.

Last edited by worlock on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:52 pm 

Pro-Pain's 'The Truth Hurts' has real murder victim photos in the booklet. The original cover photo was changed for European market...

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:34 pm 

Metallica's Load comes to mind. I'm pretty sure James wasn't happy when he found out it was the artist cum and blood pressed into a microscope slide.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:27 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
praey wrote:

I always hated that cover. Didn't help that the album was dog shit too.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:42 pm 

Interesting thread idea, but there is a very real risk that we will just end up talking about goregrind and black metal bands using pictures of real corpses, and we had that discussion in another thread, not too long ago. I don't remember the title of the thread.

I'm personnally more interested in the stuff like JWG's drawings being used as artworks, as they are choking in a less obvious way then... you know... just mutilated corpses...

oldmetalhead wrote:
Metallica's Load comes to mind. I'm pretty sure James wasn't happy when he found out it was the artist cum and blood pressed into a microscope slide.

I didn't know that somehow. And it's funny as fuck, hahaha!

orphy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:49 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
praey wrote:

Numenorean are a fucking embarrassment, so you saved yourself the time. The twin brothers in that band are abusive, violent, and overall just terrible people. There have been multiple women in Calgary that have been been raped or abused by these guys. They also tried to intimidate a woman who was promoting one of their California shows some years back. Those two idiots can rot.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:10 pm 

Naked City's Leng tch'e depicts an actual image of a man being tortured to death, and has extensive liner notes about the story behind it. Pretty horrifying but fascinating stuff.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:16 pm 

There's the band Silencer, but as spooky as a lot of the lore surrounding the band is, most of it is fake, and that goes for the pictures of Nattram as well (I'm pretty sure/hoping). The pictures of him in the album's booklet are haunting.

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:26 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
There's the band Silencer, but as spooky as a lot of the lore surrounding the band is, most of it is fake, and that goes for the pictures of Nattram as well (I'm pretty sure/hoping). The pictures of him in the album's booklet are haunting.

Fake, and very stupid. The music is equally worthless.

Brujeria, despite being outed as a joke/gimmick band, had some very real, very brutal imagery on their debut.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Brujeria/Matando_g%C3%BCeros/7363

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:48 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:

And Reload is piss and blood. I would like the covers even more if it was the artist's own blood, sadly it's just bovine blood.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:30 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Interesting thread idea, but there is a very real risk that we will just end up talking about goregrind and black metal bands using pictures of real corpses, and we had that discussion in another thread, not too long ago. I don't remember the title of the thread.

I'm personnally more interested in the stuff like JWG's drawings being used as artworks, as they are choking in a less obvious way then... you know... just mutilated corpses...

oldmetalhead wrote:

I didn't know that somehow. And it's funny as fuck, hahaha!

Yeah, less corpsey stuff is also what I had in mind. I was looking for things like the Acid Bath one I mentioned in OP, where the cover itself isn't too disturbing until you know the story behind it. I wish I could remember more, I'll come back when I find some.

Seto
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:27 pm 

orphy wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
praey wrote:

Numenorean are a fucking embarrassment, so you saved yourself the time. The twin brothers in that band are abusive, violent, and overall just terrible people. There have been multiple women in Calgary that have been been raped or abused by these guys. They also tried to intimidate a woman who was promoting one of their California shows some years back. Those two idiots can rot.

I don't disagree with any of that, and the artwork choice for that debut album is really bizarre, and I do hate myself a bit for making this post, but Adore by them is unbelievably good. Hard to recommend someone check out an album by such obviously shitty people, but definitely one of the best post-black/blackgaze albums.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:53 pm 

Stalaggh's Pure Misanthropia cover art was drawn by a patient suffering from schizophrenia, who also partecipated as "vocalist" for the project.

https://www.boredpanda.com/my-schizophr ... er-demons/

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:33 pm 

rage against the machine's debut is the only example i can think of right now, with the self immolating vietnamese monk

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADc ... %E1%BB%A9c)

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:00 pm 

Cultus Sanguine's album covers might seem tame in comparison to the ones featuring explicit gore/murder, but there's something deeply unsettling about Victorian-era post-mortem photography, especially given that most of the time, the subjects of the photos were dead children:

https://www.metal-archives.com/images/1 ... 6.jpg?1659
https://www.metal-archives.com/images/6 ... 7.jpg?2451

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:37 pm 

Seems impossible that the Nguyễn Văn Lém execution photo hasn't been used by some punk band but nothing is springing to mind.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:40 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I always wondered why Acid Bath didn't go with a more professional looking cover for their landmark album When the Kite String Pops. Why this crude painting of a clown? Recently, a friend informed me that the painting was made by Jim Gacy, a terrible and disgusting serial killer I had somehow never heard of. I read about the dude, and now I'm disturbed whenever I look at this artwork.

I honestly couldn't imagine any other artwork on that album. Something about it just fits perfectly with its music, lyrics, and atmosphere.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:04 am 

Endarkening wrote:
Brujeria, despite being outed as a joke/gimmick band, had some very real, very brutal imagery on their debut.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Brujeria/Matando_g%C3%BCeros/7363

Eh. I personally find the cover to their EP ¡Machetazos! more disturbing.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:31 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I always wondered why Acid Bath didn't go with a more professional looking cover for their landmark album When the Kite String Pops. Why this crude painting of a clown? Recently, a friend informed me that the painting was made by Jim Gacy, a terrible and disgusting serial killer I had somehow never heard of. I read about the dude, and now I'm disturbed whenever I look at this artwork.

I honestly couldn't imagine any other artwork on that album. Something about it just fits perfectly with its music, lyrics, and atmosphere.

I'm would be surprised if that lives in the US and are thirty+ would have never heard of John Wayne Gacy, and especially not knowing the person's name.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:41 am 

Pissgrave are probably the biggest band out there that still has those disgusting corpse photos on the covers. Why would you do that in 2022 is beyond me but whatever

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:57 am 

orphy wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
praey wrote:

Where can I read some of the stories about these guys? I saw nothing about it in their M-A artist pages.

Seto
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:31 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Where can I read some of the stories about these guys? I saw nothing about it in their M-A artist pages.

There is very little online about it.

https://metalstorm.net/events/news_comm ... s_id=43325 - this seems to be the only significant article about it and the original post by the band member was deleted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackgaze/comm ... yone_know/ - (the tweet in the replies is deleted but is just a screenshot of the initial abuse allegations post by the band)
https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackMetal/com ... _their_fb/

These are the two main Reddit threads but not a lot in them.

I couldn't find anything about it on Twitter.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:06 am 

The woman on the cover of Black Sabbath was identified in early 2020 and then turned out to be something of a conspiracy theorist and COVID denier. Probably would've been better to never know.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:31 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I always wondered why Acid Bath didn't go with a more professional looking cover for their landmark album When the Kite String Pops. Why this crude painting of a clown? Recently, a friend informed me that the painting was made by Jim Gacy, a terrible and disgusting serial killer I had somehow never heard of. I read about the dude, and now I'm disturbed whenever I look at this artwork. I'm sure there are loads of other deceptive or disturbing covers in metal, tell me a bit about the ones you know of. Dawn of the Black Hearts is off-limits, we all know that story.

If you want to be even more creeped out, not only was that cover painted by Gacy, it's a self-portrait. He used to dress up as a clown for events in his local community.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:10 pm 

LilTito wrote:
Pissgrave are probably the biggest band out there that still has those disgusting corpse photos on the covers. Why would you do that in 2022 is beyond me but whatever

Yeah but I'm not really looking for corpses, I'm looking for disturbing stories. Unless the corpse has some kind of backstory that makes it even worse, it's just a disgusting meaningless cover.

project23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:31 am 

The cover photo of this Mortuary Drape album is supposedly a real corpse the band used in a necromancy ritual :

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... Dance/2000

And their record label owner took the photo. What was he thinking when he did that?
"Just another normal day in a black metal band's life" ?

sevenwinter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:36 am 

A rather sinister fact that the women posing on Iron Dogs Free and wild 2013 album cover was Brandy Petrie, a 34 years old mother of 3.The model was found shot to death inside a car off a secluded rural road in Langley B.C. in the early morning hours of Sept. 1, 2017.

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-news/burnaby-mother-of-3-slain-by-man-who-was-on-a-5-day-drug-bender-3116575

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:56 am 

sevenwinter wrote:
A rather sinister fact that the women posing on Iron Dogs Free and wild 2013 album cover was Brandy Petrie, a 34 years old mother of 3.The model was found shot to death inside a car off a secluded rural road in Langley B.C. in the early morning hours of Sept. 1, 2017.

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-news/burnaby-mother-of-3-slain-by-man-who-was-on-a-5-day-drug-bender-3116575

Brandy Petrie, aka Ameara Lavey from the Lucifer Valentine “vomit gore” “films”? Her association with LV is a far more disturbing backstory than this album cover (which is somewhat tame overall).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2285834/?ref_=tt_cl_i_1
Obliteration

EndorphinMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:58 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
[Brandy Petrie, aka Ameara Lavey from the Lucifer Valentine “vomit gore” “films”? Her association with LV is a far more disturbing backstory than this album cover (which is somewhat tame overall).

This post sent me in a deeeeeeep rabbit hole of a strange genre I never knew existed. And probably didn't need to know.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:08 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

If you want to be even more creeped out, not only was that cover painted by Gacy, it's a self-portrait. He used to dress up as a clown for events in his local community.

Yes he did, and that's what made him not stand out. Gacy was well liked my his community just like most serial killers.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:57 pm 

EndorphinMachine wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
[Brandy Petrie, aka Ameara Lavey from the Lucifer Valentine “vomit gore” “films”? Her association with LV is a far more disturbing backstory than this album cover (which is somewhat tame overall).

This post sent me in a deeeeeeep rabbit hole of a strange genre I never knew existed. And probably didn't need to know.

Sorry, bro. It's a disturbing story with a lot of disturbing (albeit unproven) allegations.

I think the "films" themselves are aesthetically interesting, and talent is there in the editing and sound design (in an unconventional manner). I've see two of six in the series in their entirety (and clips of the others). But the content is revolting (it's basically extreme fetish porn recontextualized as "arthouse horror") and very uncomfortable as it is alleged that the consent to participate is questionable at best, among other disturbing allegations. Again, alleged but not proven.

Didn't mean to send you down this path.
Obliteration

Reply to topic