Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 pm 

What Death and Black Metal bands that don't release live albums should start doing it?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:29 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
God I hope someone can solve this for me.

Why do people always pronounce Vinny Appice's last name as "AP (as in apple)-puh-see," while on the other hand, everyone always pronounces Carmine Appice (most famous for being the drummer for Vanilla Fudge) as "uh-PIECE"? They're fucking brothers, their last names should be literally the exact same thing as each other.

I've read that each brother has chosen those respective pronunciations, odd though it may seem.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:55 pm 

Why do people always pronounce Vinny Appice's last name as "AP (as in apple)-puh-see," while on the other hand, everyone always pronounces Carmine Appice (most famous for being the drummer for Vanilla Fudge) as "uh-PIECE"? They're fucking brothers, their last names should be literally the exact same thing as each other.

The crazy truth is that THEY pronounce their last names differently from each other!

I call em both UH PIECE, but I'd only seen their names in print for a long time.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:01 am 

Metal Shark wrote:

The crazy truth is that THEY pronounce their last names differently from each other!

I call em both UH PIECE, but I'd only seen their names in print for a long time.

Benedict Donald wrote:

I've read that each brother has chosen those respective pronunciations, odd though it may seem.

Thank you! A great part of the mystery solved.

The only question remaining.... which of the two, if even EITHER of the two, is the honest to god correct pronunciation of the name?

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:36 am 

Metal Shark wrote:

Ever since I heard Nico McBrain refer to Vinnie Appice as "uh-peach-ay" in Flight 666 I have a hard time hearing it any other way.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:28 am 

I believe the correct pronunciation in Italian would be "ahp-pee-chaaayyy".
Perhaps Lee Harrison can confirm?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:58 pm 

Would you wear corpse paint if you were in a Black Metal band?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 am 

blackdiamond74 wrote:
Metal Shark wrote:

Ever since I heard Nico McBrain refer to Vinnie Appice as "uh-peach-ay" in Flight 666 I have a hard time hearing it any other way.

Benedict Donald wrote:
I believe the correct pronunciation in Italian would be "ahp-pee-chaaayyy".
Perhaps Lee Harrison can confirm?

I was actually wondering if that was the correct pronunciation. However, there is also the possibility that when their family came to America from Italy, they may have "Americanized" their name, which some immigrants to this country do sometimes, just tweaking it a bit so it's easier for most Americans to pronounce and/or spell.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:52 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

If the other bandmates did, then sure, I have nothing against it (however, I don't see it as a necessary requirement for black metal performances, to each his own). Although these days it seems that most bands don't bother with face paint and use masks instead. Which I get from the practicality viewpoint, but face paint allows more creativity imo.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:40 am 

I can't believe there are still some people out there wearing corpse paint in their 40s or beyond...

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:00 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

Depends on what kind of black metal, I suppose?

If the others in the band wore it, I'd do it - or wear a hood that covers my face.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:57 am 

Xymosys wrote:
I can't believe there are still some people out there wearing corpse paint in their 40s or beyond...

Agreed. It is somewhat embarrassing to see.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:27 am 

Eh, I don't think there's anything inherently cringe about continuing to do corpse paint as your career progresses. It can be a fun visual aspect to your group. What IS cringe, and many black metal bands fall into this trap to be sure, is being extremely self-serious about it and going on at length about how it's "more than a look" or pairing it with some black metal ideological babble. It's the "black metal as a lifestyle" thing that's more juvenile to me than corpse paint in and of itself.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 am 

PurpleDoom wrote:
Eh, I don't think there's anything inherently cringe about continuing to do corpse paint as your career progresses. It can be a fun visual aspect to your group. What IS cringe, and many black metal bands fall into this trap to be sure, is being extremely self-serious about it and going on at length about how it's "more than a look" or pairing it with some black metal ideological babble. It's the "black metal as a lifestyle" thing that's more juvenile to me than corpse paint in and of itself.

I 100% agree with this.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:03 am 

White Ward has a lot of spoken words/samples on their last album, False Light. Does anyone know where they are from? I'm interested in all of the samples, but mostly those of the man talking about human nature, God and disobediance on the closing track Downfall. I think he is featured elsewhere on the album too, maybe on Phoenix or Silence Circles, where he talks about capitalism, environnementalism and destruction of the Earth.

Thanks!

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:21 pm 

wone21r wrote:
Kaleva wrote:
Does anyone know what David DeFeis does for living? I know it's gossip, but I I'm really curious. I just read he's considering which gig offers to accept this summer, and taking into account that they almost don't play live, that their records can't sell well (I don't think they had a massive record success, not even at their prime), and that I can't find any information about other bands he has produced in his studio (although, given the sound of his latest albums, no one in their right mind should let DeFeis be their producer), I'm surprised that he would consider offers instead of grabbing every opportunity while he can.

I don't know the person or band you're referring to, but that sounds like a perfect example of exactly when a band SHOULD be selective with regards to shows/touring options.
If a band isn't a full time job, then managing time off the "real job" is important. And if they aren't big enough to guarantee that every show is a financial success, then they need to make sure the shows they play all have favourable terms, guarantees etc.

David DeFeis is the singer and leader of Virgin Steele, one of the most iconic bands of American classic heavy metal, so anyone would think that he would be interested in keeping his band relevant and not being so selective as to confirm, for now, a single show in all of 2023 (or at least for this summer). We're talking about a classic band here, they are big, or they should be if they cared to keep their legacy alive (releasing shitty albums doesn't help). Make a living out of music is what anyone would expect from them.

colin040 wrote:
Some years ago, I read an interview in which he said that he hasn't worked for years.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I just managed to find this in Discogs, but there is no source:

Discogs wrote:
Led by vocalist/keyboardist David DeFeis since its inception in the fall of 1981, Virgin Steele began humbly with two self-released albums that, after being picked up for international distribution, brought in combined sales of nearly 400,000 units and critical praise from the metal underground.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:01 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

I would wear skinny jeans if was in a black metal band and corpse paint if I was in a deathcore/metalcore band :oh shit:

Just kidding about the skinny jeans, I don't know how anyone can wear them comfortably.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:14 am 

What are some metal albums that have relatively not loud-sounding/borderline whispering harsh/extreme vocals where you like those vocals and/or find them to fit well with music/atmosphere on an album?
---

One of the reasons I have always preferred Ulver's "Bergtatt" to early Agalloch is because "Bergtatt" has 'normal' extreme and clean vocals that, to me, fit into this kind/style of music much better than those strange 'semi-harsh' whisper-like sounding harsh vocals on those Agalloch albums.

But there is an album "Joined in Darkness" by Demoncy, for example, that has a very different music and atmosphere, and, to me, in this case, those quieter-sounding harsh vocals that are a bit drowned in the atmospheric music sound OK and fit well into the album's dark/eerie atmosphere.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:35 pm 

sjal wrote:
One of the reasons I have always preferred Ulver's "Bergtatt" to early Agalloch is because "Bergtatt" has 'normal' extreme and clean vocals that, to me, fit into this kind/style of music much better than those strange 'semi-harsh' whisper-like sounding harsh vocals on those Agalloch albums.

I love both Ulver and Agalloch, so I can't really agree with this, although I totally understand what you mean. I know a lot of people dislike Haughm's vocals, but they never bothered me. But again, I'm rarely ever turned off by vocals in metal. Unless they are extremely distracting or very bad, I don't mind them, and I eventually just accept them as they are, and I usually end up liking them. For instance, I wouldn't want Agalloch to sound any different, regardless of how unconventionnal Haughm's vocals were.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:11 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Absolutely.

I would go to the woods and cavernous areas of the beach in winter and take pictures of myself with a sword.

It's an aesthetic that I love in a non-ironic way.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:36 pm 

sjal wrote:
What are some metal albums that have relatively not loud-sounding/borderline whispering harsh/extreme vocals where you like those vocals and/or find them to fit well with music/atmosphere on an album?

velvet cacoon - genevieve & northsuite/fester - silence maybe?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:15 pm 

sjal wrote:

Pretty sure half my post history are these two words by now:
Dolorian - Voidwards

There’s Mournful Congregation’s The Monad of Creation featuring plenty of whisper growls.
The vocals on the first Skepticism albums have a breathiness that gives them a whisper-like texture, even if that’s not what they might be entirely.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:51 am 

Who has the most Cookie Monster sounding vocals in metal?

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:32 pm 

This is more me venting some frustration, but also a part genuinely asking if there is something wrong with my ears.

I have this co-worker who apparently is a big deathcore fan. A while back he recommended me some bands, while claiming that among them, Lorna Shore was his favorite, the best out there and so on.

So I gave Lorna Shore an honest try, and yeah, it's not for me. So o told him just that, "sorry but not my thing"

Fast forward to today, i was listening to Ulcerate - Stare Into Death and Be Still album and he passed by and made the following comment: "it's very strange that you like this and not Lorna Shore, they sound almost the same".

I honestly couldn't say a single word and just shrugged. I see no resemblance at all, but it got me thinking, is it me? Am I that tone deaf that I can't connect the dots here?

So yeah, i would like to know once and for all, is there really anything similar between Ulcerate and Lorna Shore, and if yes please explain it to me like you would a 2 year old, because i just don't see it being even remotely close.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:42 pm 

linkavitch wrote:

I listened to the video and have to say, probably Cadaveria, vocalist on the album The Call Of The Wood by Opera IX. She sounds so strained that it hurts my throat.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:08 pm 

Anyone know what's happening with Atheist? There was talk a few years back about a new album, if I remember right they might have had it finished and looking for a label, but nothing about it since

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:36 am 

snarg wrote:
This is more me venting some frustration, but also a part genuinely asking if there is something wrong with my ears.

I have this co-worker who apparently is a big deathcore fan. A while back he recommended me some bands, while claiming that among them, Lorna Shore was his favorite, the best out there and so on.

So I gave Lorna Shore an honest try, and yeah, it's not for me. So o told him just that, "sorry but not my thing"

Fast forward to today, i was listening to Ulcerate - Stare Into Death and Be Still album and he passed by and made the following comment: "it's very strange that you like this and not Lorna Shore, they sound almost the same".

I honestly couldn't say a single word and just shrugged. I see no resemblance at all, but it got me thinking, is it me? Am I that tone deaf that I can't connect the dots here?

So yeah, i would like to know once and for all, is there really anything similar between Ulcerate and Lorna Shore, and if yes please explain it to me like you would a 2 year old, because i just don't see it being even remotely close.

Ulcerate and Lorna Shore are similar in the sense that they use a lot of the same elements in broad strokes. And I mean broad strokes like they're both based in death metal, which means they both use high tempos, distorted guitars, harsh vocals, et cetera. The major difference is in how they utilize those elements. You just don't listen to them in the same way. Ulcerate is very textural, aiming for an overwhelming atmosphere via twisted riffing, chaotic percussion, and heavy dissonance to kinda keep you on your back foot. It's unsettling and overwhelming and meant to be taken more holistically. Lorna Shore utilizes those elements in a more straightforward way, that aims for an overwhelming atmosphere via sheer sonic brutality, crushing heaviness, and buildups that climax in massive breakdowns. It's powerful and exciting and meant to be taken more directly.

So if you're not the type of nerd to really parse out differences like that and instead just hear fast drumming, heavy and technically demanding riffs, and growling vocals, it's pretty easy to lump them together as more or less the same thing. I'm sure if I sat my wife down and made her listen to those two bands she's probably also say they sounded the same to her. I'm sure it's similar to like, I dunno, bread or some shit. Like the techniques and timings and methods are wildly different between different types of bread but to me, a guy who isn't a baker and just likes bread, I neither know nor care to learn those differences and instead just eat all kinds of bread because I like bread and I suspect that's closer to how your coworker is looking at extreme metal. Meanwhile a baker or somebody who is really into breadmaking would probably pull their fuckin hair out to hear me say that I don't understand how somebody could like rye bread but hate banana bread.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:42 am 

DecemberSoul wrote:
linkavitch wrote:

Until Eaten Back To Life that wasn't even a thing. Barnes took it down to muppet level

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Ulcerate and Lorna Shore are similar in the sense that they use a lot of the same elements in broad strokes. And I mean broad strokes like they're both based in death metal, which means they both use high tempos, distorted guitars, harsh vocals, et cetera. The major difference is in how they utilize those elements. You just don't listen to them in the same way. Ulcerate is very textural, aiming for an overwhelming atmosphere via twisted riffing, chaotic percussion, and heavy dissonance to kinda keep you on your back foot. It's unsettling and overwhelming and meant to be taken more holistically. Lorna Shore utilizes those elements in a more straightforward way, that aims for an overwhelming atmosphere via sheer sonic brutality, crushing heaviness, and buildups that climax in massive breakdowns. It's powerful and exciting and meant to be taken more directly.

So if you're not the type of nerd to really parse out differences like that and instead just hear fast drumming, heavy and technically demanding riffs, and growling vocals, it's pretty easy to lump them together as more or less the same thing. I'm sure if I sat my wife down and made her listen to those two bands she's probably also say they sounded the same to her. I'm sure it's similar to like, I dunno, bread or some shit. Like the techniques and timings and methods are wildly different between different types of bread but to me, a guy who isn't a baker and just likes bread, I neither know nor care to learn those differences and instead just eat all kinds of bread because I like bread and I suspect that's closer to how your coworker is looking at extreme metal. Meanwhile a baker or somebody who is really into breadmaking would probably pull their fuckin hair out to hear me say that I don't understand how somebody could like rye bread but hate banana bread.

That makes perfect sense, but this guy struck me as someone with a good enough know how and experience in the more extreme forms of music to actually tell what's what and not make that sort of "Burzum and Cannibal Corpse sound exactly the same to me" type of association, and that's where I got confused.

I'm just having an hard time believing someone would listen to something like Lorna Shore, Ulcerate, or any music this extreme and be that casual about it and not being able to tell the difference. I would expect that from someone that only listens to more commercial music, but not when you get this far into the extremes.

I guess joke's on me for assuming he knew what he was talking about and stereotyping extreme music listeners.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:12 pm 

Thanks for answering the question about 'whisper-like' harsh vocals. Sorry if my post came across as a request for recommendations, I was actually asking about it in order that there would be some more examples of these vocals and opinions/discussion about it here on the forum.
There was the mention of whispered harsh vocals in the "Unpopular metal opinions" thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133598&p=3091158&hilit=whispered+vocals#p3091158 , and then people started giving examples of vocals that are objectively+technically bad/too weak and that don't really fit into the metal music or that sound too strange on death metal albums/or in general, and I just wanted to ask a question about it here but in order to recall some examples of the opposite - i.e. some whispering-like harsh vocals that people find good/interesting/the ones that go well with a style of music/sound/atmosphere on a metal album.
I tried to think of examples of such vocals that are related with more extreme metal sub-genres (such as black metal rasps or death growls), but I should have mentioned some other types of harsh vocals as well.

into_the_pit wrote:
fester - silence maybe?

Yes, "Silence" by Fester is an amazing album, and the vocals are very interesting to listen to because they are so emotional and have a variety of intonations. For example, the song "Voices From The Woods" has vocals that aren't really harsh and that sound just like a normal whisper, which I really like, while the song "Silent Is The Raven" is a good example of a combination of louder 'normal' harsh screams and quieter (but also very emotional) harsh whispers, and I like them a lot too.
And I think that all the singing on the album sounds really good on its own, and it also fits well with the style of music and mood/atmosphere of the album.

coupdebleus wrote:
Pretty sure half my post history are these two words by now:
Dolorian - Voidwards

There’s Mournful Congregation’s The Monad of Creation featuring plenty of whisper growls.
The vocals on the first Skepticism albums have a breathiness that gives them a whisper-like texture, even if that’s not what they might be entirely.

Thanks for mentioning these bands/albums, I'm familiar with them too - I like all the vocals there and I think these albums are also good examples where those vocals fit well with styles/atmosphere of metal albums.

__
And I haven't heard of Velvet Cacoon before, I'll check them out in more detail.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:31 pm 

When did power metal music started being called "power metal?" I know the term has been used for many things back in the 80s (eg. Metallica and Pantera), but when did it finally settle to the style we know of today? I've heard that it started in 1993 during Gamma Ray's tour, but can someone verify?

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:34 am 

sjal wrote:
Thanks for answering the question about 'whisper-like' harsh vocals.

when i saw your original post, i immediately thought of an example with the music playing in my head, and album cover art in my mind's eye - but i only now remembered (with some help from google) the damn band/album name: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ers/416153

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:12 pm 

Do you guys consider Kamelot to be "cheesy" by any means? I always thought that the Roy Khan-era was among the least cheesy as far as pm goes. Where do bands like Avantasia, Blind Guardian, and Iced Earth rank in the cheese spectrum?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:30 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Do you guys consider Kamelot to be "cheesy" by any means? I always thought that the Roy Khan-era was among the least cheesy as far as pm goes. Where do bands like Avantasia, Blind Guardian, and Iced Earth rank in the cheese spectrum?

Mmm, to me, most power metal is at least a bit cheesy. It's part of the essence of the genre. But when it comes to Kamelot it's good cheese.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:45 am 

I never really found Kamelot cheesy, or not in any way that you couldn't apply to most melodic metal in general - the big choruses and all. But they usually had quite a lot of sophistication on the classic Khan stuff.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:43 pm 

Yeah, Kamelot is no more cheesy than any standard European power metal (even though they're not European). Like compared to Twilight Force or Gloryhammer they're far from the worst offenders.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:54 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Yeah, Kamelot is no more cheesy than any standard European power metal (even though they're not European). Like compared to Twilight Force or Gloryhammer they're far from the worst offenders.

"Cheese" is subjective. I mean I love Cannibal Corpse but their schtick is defined by its cheese.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:54 pm 

Death metal bands singing about horror movie style violence is just a different type of cheesiness, especially if they're doing it tongue in cheek. Nothing wrong with that anymore than power metal bands talking about slaying dragons.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:43 pm 

Does any The Gathering album sound like "Mandylion"?

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:13 am 

In this case, what do you guys consider "not cheesy" as far as metal in general goes? I think Iron Maiden has got to be one of those contenders.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 33  Next