Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:23 am 

Katatonia will release their twelfth full length, Sky Void Of Stars, on January 20 through Napalm Records. From the press release:

Quote:
Swedish melancholic metallers KATATONIA will release a new studio album, "Sky Void of Stars", on January 20, 2023 via Napalm Records.

Founded in 1991, KATATONIA has continually embraced the dark and the light alike and, living through genre evolutions beyond compare, ripened its own particular form of expression. From doom and death metal to soul-gripping post rock, they've explored endless spheres of the genre, accumulating only the very best aspects. After signing with Napalm Records, the entity around founding members Jonas Renkse and Anders Nyström is ready to showcase its brilliance and illuminate the void in the scene once more with "Sky Void Of Stars".

With the first single "Atrium", KATATONIA hits with highly energetic atmosphere, holding a gloomy ambience with epic sounds and poetic lyrics to get lost in. The heartfelt piece of sound goes in line with a gripping music video, underlining the exceptional atmosphere the five-piece is creating with every single note. "Atrium" is now available via all digital service providers worldwide.

KATATONIA comments on "Sky Void Of Stars": "Our 12th album, 'Sky Void Of Stars' is a dynamic journey through vibrant darkness. Born out of yearning for what was lost and not found, the very peripheries of the unreachable, but composed and condensed into human form and presented as sounds and words true to the KATATONIA signum. No stars here, just violent rain."

Emerging from the gloom, KATATONIA is a beacon of light — breathing their unique, never stagnant, atmospheric sound through this new 11-track offering, all written and composed by vocalist Jonas Renkse. Album opener "Austerity" provides a courting introduction to the album. Crashing through the dark, it convinces with memorable, mind-bending rhythms as it shifts with elaborate guitar riffs that perfectly showcase the musical expertise and experience of the band. Topped off by the dark, conjuring voice of Renkse and mesmerizing lyricism, the gloomy mood for the album is set. Songs like down-tempo "Opaline" and moody "Drab Moon" fully embrace their melancholic sound while fragile "Impermanence" is accented by the original doom metal roots of KATATONIA. Like a dark star, these pieces relume the dreariness, creating an ambient auditory experience with memorable hooks while still inducing the crashing sounds of hard guitar riffs and pounding drums. The experimental mastery of the quintet and their atmospheric approach is purely vivid, making this album a thrilling sensation. With "Birds", the artists show off their explosive potential with a quick and energetic sound, proving their genre-defying style.

Tracklisting:
1. Austerity (03:41)
2. Colossal Shade (04:29)
3. Opaline (05:00)
4. Birds (04:08)
5. Drab Moon (03:59)
6. Author (04:17)
7. Impermanence (05:12)
8. Sclera (04:45)
9. Atrium (04:08)
10. No Beacon to Illuminate Our Fall (06:08)

Atrium has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

When Katatonia signed with Napalm they put out a press release suggesting that their next album would see some sort of stylistic change, but there doesn't seem to be much evidence of that based on the first single they've released from this upcoming album. It doesn't really sound that dissimilar to their last couple of albums, I'm getting Night Is The New Day and/or Dead End Kings vibes in particular. It is one track and the rest of the album may sound vastly different of course, but that's my first impression.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:47 am 

The single is OK. But, you're right, it's not dissimilar to their last 15+ years' output.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:55 am 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:05 am 

Modern Katatonia has yet to go wrong for me. I could put this on my 2023 top 10 list right now and it'd almost certainly stay there.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:06 am 

they move further and further from metal, it reminds me of idlewild tbh... but it's a good song. very average drumming though. they need to get Liljekvist back to play on the albums at least and keep speccy as their live drummer...

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:14 am 

aloof wrote:
they move further and further from metal, it reminds me of idlewild tbh... but it's a good song. very average drumming though. they need to get Liljekvist back to play on the albums at least and keep speccy as their live drummer...

Daniel Moilanen does an amazing job on The Fall of Hearts. The simpler playing on City Burials and now this song must be more of a stylistic choice instead of a drummer skill issue.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:24 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Modern Katatonia has yet to go wrong for me. I could put this on my 2023 top 10 list right now and it'd almost certainly stay there.

Yep. I miss Jonas and Anders writing together, but City Burials and Night is the New Day proved than Jonas is quite capable of being one-man-Katatonia.

aloof wrote:

I've been cheerleading for Liljekvist longer and harder than most, and still miss his contributions, but Moilanen's parts sound fine here, more creative than what many drummers would do on such a song with the varied subdivisions in the fills.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:40 am 

Ah yes, Katatonia. The alt rock band that's less heavy than Nickelback but metalheads love for some inexplicable reason.

This is terrible, as usual. Identical to the butt rock you used to hear on American radio in the late 90s. Do y'all listen to Chevelle and Seether as well?

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:22 pm 

Interesting, but the last great album was The Great Cold Distance. I can see the appeal of their output since then but it's just not my style at all - too "modern prog" with the Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson influence and whatnot. Granted, I haven't heard the last two albums at all. This track is decent and more lively/energetic than I remember Dead End Kings being so maybe I should go back and revisit? Album cover is pretty cool, at the very least though generally I'm not a fan of GIANT ALBUM TITLES (a la modern Lake of Tears)

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:27 pm 

true_death wrote:
Interesting, but the last great album was The Great Cold Distance. I can see the appeal of their output since then but it's just not my style at all - too "modern prog" with the Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson influence and whatnot.

For me, while I like it all, the last truly great one was "Viva Emptiness". There is a PTree/Wilson influence, but the execution falls far short of what Wilson's been doing these past two decades.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:32 pm 

I like the single. Not a band I've gotten super into, but maybe I'll go back through some of their stuff this week, especially because I seemingly am on a doom/gothic metal kick right now.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:41 pm 

I mean.. Katatonia is one of my favourite bands of all time, even though I definitely prefer their early and mid incarnations… this tune however… even within the new paradigm really touched on their sound which I haven’t heard in many years, could be both the vocal and riff choices in the chorus for Anders and Jonas. Colour me excited and I can’t wait to see them next month.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:46 pm 

Quote:
while fragile "Impermanence" is accented by the original doom metal roots of KATATONIA.

We all know that this won't be the case. Then again, I remember the last album getting promoted as an album that partially revisited their heavy metal roots. :lol:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:48 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Ah yes, Katatonia. The alt rock band that's less heavy than Nickelback but metalheads love for some inexplicable reason.

This is terrible, as usual. Identical to the butt rock you used to hear on American radio in the late 90s. Do y'all listen to Chevelle and Seether as well?

Oh yeah I forgot metalheads aren't allowed to listen to things that aren't 'heavy' :durr: :drool:

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:59 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I do listen to music other than corpse paint metal and blood splatter metal, yes.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:11 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Quote:
while fragile "Impermanence" is accented by the original doom metal roots of KATATONIA.

We all know that this won't be the case. Then again, I remember the last album getting promoted as an album that partially revisited their heavy metal roots. :lol:

To be fair, they also recently did this....so you never know :-P :

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:19 pm 

Nothing wrong with not liking Katatonia, but they're in no way identical to the bands narsilianshard listed. Unless he's really just saying they're the same because they're all not that heavy and they all have a rock core. Which would be kinda dumb.

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:29 pm 

New song is ok. I liked City Burials quite a bit, but I hadn't been all that into Katatonia since The Great Cold Distance. I'll need to hear another single before I get too excited about this one.

narsilianshard wrote:

Damn, and here I was thinking I could listen to whatever the hell I want. My mistake.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:36 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

If you don’t get it that’s your problem but there’s no need to come in and be an insufferable dickhead.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:52 pm 

true_death wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Quote:

To be fair, they also recently did this....so you never know :-P :

I've heard that and it's a cool surprise, but the idea of Katatonia ever going back to that style is without a doubt extremely unlikely. I just wish that the band's new albums wouldn't be described as examples I just gave.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:42 pm 

City Burials had some extremely metal moments, especially on the bonus tracks.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:08 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
City Burials had some extremely metal moments, especially on the bonus tracks.

And there are moments on The Fall of Hearts that wouldn't be out of place on a modern Enslaved album. But colin040 is talking about that old anguished doom/death sound, and that ain't coming back.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:13 pm 

I liked that new song on first listen. It has their signature style all over it; catchy and morose. That cover art is terrible though. No Beacon to Illuminate Our Fall is a great title for a Katatonia song and it looks like the longest of the bunch so I hope it's a fantastic epic of sad.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:44 pm 

Fair, the old gothic death/doom Katatonia is never returning and the closest thing we have is October Tide.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:00 pm 

Guess I was too slow to edit this...? :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135808

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:42 pm 

This is the most birds on a single Katatonia album cover yet.

Or at least main-line Katatonia album. Dethroned & Uncrowned, Sanctitude and Dead Air have more birds.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

CoperCz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:53 pm 

I can't wait!

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:19 pm 

Katatonia are really hit and miss for me with The Great Cold Distance being my favorite. City Burials was great as well and this new song is pretty damn good. Looking forward to the album.

I also have a copy of Last Fair Deal Gone Down but I have hardly listened to it. Maybe I should revisit it.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:22 pm 

I don't know why, but I'm somewhat surprised that they're coming out with a new album so soon. Although I know it's been a while since 'City Burials'; I guess I just kind of forgot about them. The new song is solid but nothing innovative. I really hope Anders contributed songwriting this time around.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:09 pm 

They've pretty consistently come out with a new album about every 2-4 years, so it seems right on time to me. The promo says it's written entirely by Jonas though.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:30 pm 

Oh yeah, it does, doesn't it? I missed that somehow.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:56 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Agree... Katatonia is awesome until brave murder day

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:38 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

As a huge fan of Katatonia I hate to say it but I completely agree with your comment. When I say fan I don't just mean their doomy death phase. Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision, and Last Fair Deal are also fantastic albums. But since about 2006 this band has excelled at sucking worse with each release.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:02 pm 

Endarkening wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

As a huge fan of Katatonia I hate to say it but I completely agree with your comment. When I say fan I don't just mean their doomy death phase. Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision, and Last Fair Deal are also fantastic albums. But since about 2006 this band has excelled at sucking worse with each release.

I think you might want to rethink the monicker of “huge fan” then.

What he said is ridiculous hyperbole. The Gothic elements, prog elements and sound they’ve established is theirs, they share no DNA with those other bands who have sounded the same pretty much since inception and are pop disguised as rock music, but then again even if it isn’t who gives a flying fuck? The kind of snobbery gotcha nonsense about what Metalheads do and don’t listen to is ridiculous.

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:15 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Endarkening wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

What he said is ridiculous hyperbole. The Gothic elements, prog elements and sound they’ve established is theirs, they share no DNA with those other bands who have sounded the same pretty much since inception and are pop disguised as rock music, but then again even if it isn’t who gives a flying fuck? The kind of snobbery gotcha nonsense about what Metalheads do and don’t listen to is ridiculous.

I don't think so. I'm a huge fan of Metallica, though I despise the black album and everything after it. I'm a huge fan of Megadeth, though I loathe Countdown and everything after it. I'm a huge fan of Paradise Lost, though I shit on their era from One Second to In Requiem.

For me it's not snobbery, it's just personal taste.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:52 am 

Endarkening wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Endarkening wrote:
As a huge fan of Katatonia I hate to say it but I completely agree with your comment. When I say fan I don't just mean they’re doomy death phase. Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision, and Last Fair Deal are also fantastic albums. But since about 2006 this band has excelled at sucking worse with each release.

I don't think so. I'm a huge fan of Metallica, though I despise the black album and everything after it. I'm a huge fan of Megadeth, though I loathe Countdown and everything after it. I'm a huge fan of Paradise Lost, though I shit on their era from One Second to In Requiem.

For me it's not snobbery, it's just personal taste.

You misread what I said in regards to snobbery. Has nothing to do with what you prefer, I’m just talking about the judgement about those liking material that isn’t metallic as some sort of perceived hypocrisy. You can think you are a “huge fan” of those bands but it sounds like you really are just a “huge fan” of some of their albums and not the bands themselves. There’s nothing wrong with that.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:33 am 

As usual, the single isn't much at first listen, but I think it took 6 months for the last couple of albums to grow on me. So I'll stick at it.

What do you reckon that the song 'Birds' is gonna be about all the chicks on the tour bus?
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:08 am 

Yet another urban snoozefest...

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:33 am 

not doing a lot for me that track. most of their albums take multiple listens these days though so will have to see

separately, been loving the Diabolical Masquerade albums again recently, especially Nightwork. top notch metal

oilerfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:32 pm 

After listening to the single for over 20 times, you get nods in the riffs to albums such as Discouraged Ones/Tonight's Decision. Other melodies in the song recall Last Fair Deal Gone Down, which I can see this song fitting comfortably on.

While I enjoy all of Katatonia's albums, the last several have been sparse and lacking something. They mentioned they were going for a newer sound, well, maybe they meant returning to the mid period sound?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next