Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:18 am 

Does it get more pedestrian and boring than "The Wrong Time"? I don't care about the vocals, the riffing and pace are a good antidote for insomnia. They could probably be touring for a decade more without a new album, but hey, another pile of big fat nothing helps the dough roll in.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:19 pm 

It's really disappointing that these classic bands get so much attention purely from name recognition. Just like with Darkthrone: if a new, young band put out a song like this they would be mocked for lack of effort and skill.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:10 pm 

when this dropped I was astonished how weak it was. I held off posting about it but I still feel it's real rehearsal-jam level stuff. I'll give the album a listen but I don't hold much hope, despite the cool cover art

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Sepulchrave wrote:
I'm a little sick of these artsy album covers on death metal records. Lewandowski's style is a ripoff of Beksinski who already was an unoriginal hack who ripped off from far better surrealist artists.

Who did he rip off from?

yeah really. he was older than H.R. Giger and started painting creepy dream landscapes before he did. Beksiński was a superb artist. yeah sure he drew inspiration from other painters but that's what all artists do. he certainly wasn't a hack - he didn't make enough money out of his work to qualify as that anyway. I've never seen any of his paintings in person but would love to.

I got into King Buffalo (metal-adjacent) because they used a work of his for their Burden of Restlessness cover. Don't know what they paid for the rights to his estate, but money well spent

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:56 pm 

The song is great; as great as the best song off the last album(Turned to Stone). This could turn out to be their best record since Frozen in Time(absolutely killer album).

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:34 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
It's really disappointing that these classic bands get so much attention purely from name recognition. Just like with Darkthrone: if a new, young band put out a song like this they would be mocked for lack of effort and skill.

I don't think new bands would be even noticed for pathetically weak and pedestrian stuff for anyone to mock them (to be frank, I also don't think it's a matter of a lack of skill), but yeah brand recognition and low standards enable dudes for whom this is a job and that's it to remain in the spotlight.

Last edited by Red_Death on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:27 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

The new Darkthrone is better than pretty much anything any new band put out this year though.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:04 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

The new Darkthrone is better than pretty much anything any new band put out this year though.

You are of course entitled to that opinion, but that's a pretty extreme, borderline ridiculous, statement that even Darkthrone diehards would struggle to agree with. Your fellow archivers currently have it reviewed as the 34th best album this year. Rate Your Music doesn't even have it in the top 200 2022 metal releases.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:16 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Dustroy_Troly wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

You are of course entitled to that opinion, but that's a pretty extreme, borderline ridiculous, statement that even Darkthrone diehards would struggle to agree with. Your fellow archivers currently have it reviewed as the 34th best album this year. Rate Your Music doesn't even have it in the top 200 2022 metal releases.

That just goes to show that your initial claim is off-base. People aren't more lenient with classic bands. More people just listen to them, so they get more attention of all kinds.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:18 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Dustroy_Troly wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I'm all for new bands, but I'd like stuff that sounds back to basics like Darkthrone does and does not sound like an imitation - if you can describe a new band by saying "it's like x mixed with y" I'm much less interested. There's a lot of new bands and I don't have time for all of em. But if people know raw, interesting, organic sounding new bands that aren't worship or tribute acts I'm down to try em.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm all for new bands, but I'd like stuff that sounds back to basics like Darkthrone does and does not sound like an imitation - if you can describe a new band by saying "it's like x mixed with y" I'm much less interested. There's a lot of new bands and I don't have time for all of em. But if people know raw, interesting, organic sounding new bands that aren't worship or tribute acts I'm down to try em.

this album springs to mind (not a statement on the actual discussion about old vs new, just a random thought)

Crossover_Kid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:41 am 

How I sleep knowing obituary will never top their first two albums so there's no need to get excited for a new album

Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:49 am 

Crossover_Kid wrote:
How I sleep knowing obituary will never top their first two albums so there's no need to get excited for a new album

I think The End Complete is a lot better than the first two albums.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:01 am 

Crossover_Kid wrote:

Yeah, I'm there too. EDIT and SPOILER for those who don't want to know the setlift of their upcoming tour with Amon Amart:
Spoiler: show
It kills me that they won't play any of the material on these albums when I'll see them in December. Sprry, except for that Celtic Frost cover.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:22 pm 

They just released the title track. Needless to say if you haven't been convinced by their recent output this one is probably not going to do much for you, but I'd say it's definitely better than the first single.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:34 pm 

Sometimes I forget how good John Tardy vocals are, he is sounding great here

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:27 pm 

This one kicked my ass. The Wrong Time was more upbeat and groovy but this one thrashes a lot more. Solos are good and the song is more varied. Bring on the new album.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:41 pm 

The last 40% of it being fully instrumental makes it a weird listen. It feels like they just forgot to unmute the vocal tracks on the final verses.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:41 pm 

Tons of energy with this new tune. Good stuff.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:47 pm 

The first song was good, but this was significantly better. One of Obituary's stronger tracks I'd say.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:43 am 

That’s much better than the first single. I’m quite looking forward to this album now. Great cover art too.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:08 pm 

The third single is now out, definitely the most groove laden, sludgy track of the three so far.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:44 pm 

In general all the singles are far from outstanding, and I agree with some comments that say that if this was material made by an unknown band almost nobody would pay attention to it, but for a band with 11 studio albums behind them I think this is one of the best things they can offer us. There are few bands that can maintain their freshness after so many years and we have seen many bands with more projection fall apart much earlier. I think I'll enjoy the album for what it's worth and I also think Obituary have earned the right to be listened to every time they release something new.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:10 pm 

Three singles in, and I'm liking them. I have high hopes that this album is gonna be great, even if it's a bit standard for Obituary.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:49 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
The last 40% of it being fully instrumental makes it a weird listen. It feels like they just forgot to unmute the vocal tracks on the final verses.

The 'Turned inside out' biography reveals that they used to make a point of not overdoing the vocals and leaving whole parts of songs without them if the track didn't need them. Looks like they're revisiting that approach.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:20 pm 

I was never a fan of Tardy's Scooby Doo vocals but Obituary always some solid tunes. These are weak as piss though, and the production is too clean and nice. Where's the grime? The filth? The death?

AsTheStars
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:33 pm 

I think this new single "my will to live" is worse than the previous two, i guess its kinda cool how its similar to redneck stomp except with vocals but i still think the other two outshine this one by a decent amount

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:19 am 

:headbang: :headbang: Well, I like all THREE of these songs! I'd say that's PRETTY GOOD, considering my usual reaction to a Legacy Band's new release is "Yup, that's a song!"

not_cultured
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:06 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
Good timing for me, I just completed a run through of their discography after writing them off around 2000-2001.

Looking forward to this.

Yeah, I was never really a big fan of Obituary but I always enjoyed them on an occasional basis. After the End Complete things got weird with them and I don't think Ralph Santolla was a good fit. I really liked the last two albums though they seem rejuvenated.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:08 pm 

Excellent album, a good mix of familiar Obituary with the occasional surprise here and there. The highlights for me are: Barely Alive, Dying of Everything, Weaponize the Hate, and Torn Apart. Not crazy about The Wrong Time, Without a Conscience, and Be Warned, even though some of them improve for the second half. Overall it is a refreshed Obituary with interesting elements.

AsTheStars
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:09 pm 

The vinyl arrived a few days ago and after listening to the album a few times i think it is fantastic, their best album in decades

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:58 pm 

How are we feeling this new record? I listened to it earlier today, and I liked it.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:07 pm 

This album is pretty great and imo better than the last one. This is probably the best of the reunion era.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:53 pm 

The drumming is not good. I'm not sure which track I previewed, but the Biohazard-adjacent, quasi hip-hop beat was awful.

Teglement
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:15 am 

Slater922 wrote:
How are we feeling this new record? I listened to it earlier today, and I liked it.

Lots of fun. Definitely more mid-tempo, but I wouldn't really say Obituary was ever one of the FASTEST death metal bands to begin with. I know the discourse around Tardy's voice will never end, but he still remains one of the most instantly recognizable DM vocalists out there. Not an album that's gonna change my life, but it's nothing you can complain about from any band in their later years imo.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:30 am 

I liked this, I will be buying it. This is death metal I can groove too. Its not for a complex listen, its got good riffage and makes me want to bang.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:49 am 

I thought it was a fun album and enjoyed it. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:54 am 

Teglement wrote:
I wouldn't really say Obituary was ever one of the FASTEST death metal bands to begin with

Oh, you don't say

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:01 am 

Damn. I was very excited about this album and I really wanted to like it as I'm a pretty big Obi fan, but this one just doesn't do it for me.
Both Tardys sound great as usual, the solos are very cool and the production is spot on, but I think Trevor Peres really dropped the ball here. Obviously no one listens to Obituary for the technicality of the riffs, but these are way too bland and uninspired.
I think Peres should definitely step up his game and begin introducing some variety if they plan to continue recording studio albums. Can't wait to catch them live again though, they remain my favourite live death metal band (along with Vader).

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:43 pm 

I think these songs will crush live.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:47 pm 

Lots of thicc and heavy grooves on this album. Obviously that's something they've always done but they've really put an emphasis on those here. Fun stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next