Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:41 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
It really is quite okay. Hetfield sounds good but hell, why do they have to ruin their production almost every single time? Lars' presence is way too prominent.

They seem to be going for a more hard-rock oriented early 80s sound, but the stale and loud drum production kills a lot of momentum.

Yeah I can't fathom how one of the biggest bands in the world can't get put together a decent sounding album for the last 20 years. I'd even take a generic Andy Sneap job at this point

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:26 am 

Both of the singles are okay. I don't expect much from Metallica, who are a legacy band at this point. I think it would have been interesting if they moved further away from thrash metal and instead honed their songwriting, sort of like on The Black Album and Load/Reload. Death Magnetic and Hardwired were enjoyable listens but they're the kind of records that you listen to once and have no reason to do so again.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:39 am 

The new song is alright, yet I have to agree that the mix could be better. Not that the song is very exciting, but it is fine for what it is. Both new songs sound way more relaxed and not trying as hard as anything on the last two albums, so that's a good sign. If the rest of the album is in similar vein, I can see it being nice background music for driving or such. Not getting my hopes up much for doing without needlessly bloated 8+ minute songs though...

Benedict
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:58 am 

Okay, so now its pretty clear that the album is probably going to be a more generic and polished version of the Load era material. This, along with the first single, is totally ineffectual background music, so much that i am not even sure if I have already heard it or not. At this point, i think that AI could have done more interesting Metallica songs.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:13 pm 

I like it better than Lux, but it's still pretty underwhelming IMO.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:24 pm 

I don't think the production is as bad as some of you and I hate modern production jobs. I'll wait to see how the vinyl sounds before making a final judgement.

Well just bought a field ticket for the 11/3/23 show in STL. $227 bucks. Way more than I've paid for any ticket, even Festivals, though I'm sure if I went to Wacken or one of the big Euro fests this year it would be more. Still, I'm hoping to hear some deep cuts and 1/2 Pantera as openers. Ruckus time!

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:35 pm 

Both singles sound good to me.... to expect some type of ground breaking thrash revival that both hits all of the nostalgia notes and also breaks new ground is insanely irrational, especially at this stage of the band's career.

But hearing a lean version of the band, enjoying themselves playing some cool riffs, what more could you really ask for? I think Metallica leaning into a hybrid version of their sound where they are like part old Metallica part new, I think that makes sense for them this far into their career and into their personal age.

I look forward to listening to the whole new album

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 pm 

I don't get the Kill 'em All comparisons. This is a sped up version of ReLoad sound at best. That said, new song is ok, but that's about it.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:56 pm 

hallowed78 wrote:
I don't get the Kill 'em All comparisons. This is a sped up version of ReLoad sound at best..

Hmmm, that's a less accurate comp than the KEA one, IMO. There were definitely overtures to the Load era on the last album, but I dont hear that in these two new songs. With that said, I do expect to hear such references somewhere in the remainder of the new album. They are a sum of their parts (ie: collective history/eras), at this point. (As are many legacy bands.)

Last edited by Benedict Donald on Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:56 pm 

Ukrajijajajana wrote:
Both singles sound good to me.... to expect some type of ground breaking thrash revival that both hits all of the nostalgia notes and also breaks new ground is insanely irrational, especially at this stage of the band's career.

But hearing a lean version of the band, enjoying themselves playing some cool riffs, what more could you really ask for? I think Metallica leaning into a hybrid version of their sound where they are like part old Metallica part new, I think that makes sense for them this far into their career and into their personal age.

In 100% agreement.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:06 pm 

Ukrajijajajana wrote:

Bolded part really is what some people keep doing... and yeah, also agreed with this. They sound good and inspired.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:16 pm 

Second single isn't ground-breaking but it's efficient. I like it, at least on first listen. Pretty cool vibe from it overall, not the best mix as usual. I liked the vocals on that one, but like I said, only one listen, this is first impression.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:07 pm 

Pretty cool 2nd single. I like the more subdued guitar sound, and James' vocals are great.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:41 pm 

I like this more than the previous single, not anything mindblowing, but it's not bad either.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:17 pm 

I don't hear Load/Reload at all. You guys are nuts.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:58 pm 

My guess is the Load/Reload comparisons are just because Het's voice is lower now and they're playing some blues scale based riffs again, but the thing is they did that a lot of that kind of riffing on KEA too but with a higher tempo more reminiscent of these new songs. If you were to take either of these singles and have a less modern production style with a higher voiced Hetfield I imagine the kEA vibes would more overtly outweigh any potential Load comparisons

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:48 am 

hallowed78 wrote:
This is a sped up version of ReLoad sound at best.

I wish. I don't hear any Load/Reload in this at all, either. Even thought I am still hoping for a third record in that style. [Bring on 'Unload', boys!]

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:51 am 

I'm sure Load and Reload were jarring when they came out, but as someone who wasn't listening to music at that time, it seems weird to hate them too much now. They are just good old rock/metal albums. Nothing but big riffs and attitude. Hardly worth vitriol I think.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:58 pm 

yeah at this point hating on the Loads is just because its what metalheads do. listening to those records totally removed from the controversy, id describe them as solid hard-rock/heavy-metal records very much of the time they were made, but also albums that are definitely too long. ReLoad especially has a LOT of filler. they arent worth such vitriol.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I'm sure Load and Reload were jarring when they came out, but as someone who wasn't listening to music at that time, it seems weird to hate them too much now. They are just good old rock/metal albums. Nothing but big riffs and attitude. Hardly worth vitriol I think.

Ironically, if memory serves, the Black Album actually garnered far more hatred from the tr00 fans (although that didn't materialize until sometime after its release). To be clear, plenty of die-hards were less than enthused with the new direction, but it was only after it blew up in popularity and the mainstream adopted it.
This, of course, was the point when they went from being the most popular underground band, loved by a devoted minority of 'rock' fans, to a commodity to be enjoyed by all and sundry.

By the time Load hit half a decade later, legions of die-hards had long since abandoned Metallica. But I recall the short haircuts and pimp clothing being the final nail in the coffin, more so than "Mama Said" or "Ronnie".

Those years were an odd time. The grunge phenomenon was essentially already over (and post grunge really hadn't materialized as a force), the stalwart metal acts (Maiden, Priest, Sabbath) were on life-support, and the true spark of metal creativity retreated deeply underground.
Metallica, via the Loads, stepped into 'mainstream' hard rock/metal void.

It took me quite a while to accept Load for what it was and not for what I wanted it to be: damn solid hard rockin' music with a bit more depth (Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me) than is typically found in the most popular forms of rock.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:54 pm 

Hetfield's vocals are good enough during the verses, but otherwise...the song is pure fucking shit - what you folks find appealing about it is beyond me. At least the first new song sounds like a spontaneous take on NWOBHM and works somewhat well enough.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

They're too fucking long. Not enough substance to justify their length, which, to be honest, is every Metallica project after Ride the Lightning. And, you know, it doesn't help that it's trucker rock. They have their moments: The Memory Remains, Mama Said (still can't tell if that one's supposed to be a parody of country or an actual country song), Fuel, Ain't My Bitch... but it's mostly just an endurance test to struggle through stuff like the plodding 8 minutes of Fixxxer.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I honestly prefer Load/Reload to the rest of their discography post AJFA. The band sounded inspired and Hetfield's voice and songwriting talents lended themselves well to a bluesy, groovy hard rock sound. Of course I can understand the negative reception as it was such a bizarre stylistic change and was kind of corny in many ways, but like, they just wrote a lot of good music. It is what it is.

I'd rather that to this tepid speed/thrash metal they've been doing for the past several years.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:38 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I wish. I don't hear any Load/Reload in this at all, either. Even thought I am still hoping for a third record in that style. [Bring on 'Unload', boys!]

I would be fine with that too, and I feel like it's inevitable as they get older.

Empyreal wrote:

I used to dislike these albums many years ago because of that "it's not thrash" mindset, but after I listened to them for what they are, I enjoyed them a lot more than I ever thought, there are still songs I'm not into (I can't stand Better Than You for an example) and I agree that it goes on for a bit too long as a whole, but that happened a lot to older bands during the CD era, it's like they were too excited and couldn't just not use all the space available (well, Metallica kinda never stopped that, their albums are still longer than they need to be).

poormouth100 wrote:
I honestly prefer Load/Reload to the rest of their discography post AJFA. The band sounded inspired and Hetfield's voice and songwriting talents lended themselves well to a bluesy, groovy hard rock sound. Of course I can understand the negative reception as it was such a bizarre stylistic change and was kind of corny in many ways, but like, they just wrote a lot of good music. It is what it is.

I'd rather that to this tepid speed/thrash metal they've been doing for the past several years.

Yeah, I think they haven't got as good as their 80s days in terms of thrash, and probably won't, they're good live, but whatever made them create good thrash songs at that time has been lost. There are songs I like from Death Magnetic and Hardwired, but they're nothing compared to the older albums, and mind you that it now takes them about the same time span in which they released four albums to release one album. So it's hard for them to live up to any expectations.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:44 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

They're too fucking long. Not enough substance to justify their length, which, to be honest, is every Metallica project after Ride the Lightning. And, you know, it doesn't help that it's trucker rock. They have their moments: The Memory Remains, Mama Said (still can't tell if that one's supposed to be a parody of country or an actual country song), Fuel, Ain't My Bitch... but it's mostly just an endurance test to struggle through stuff like the plodding 8 minutes of Fixxxer.

I don't really buy much of that. "Trucker rock" - that doesn't really mean shit about the quality to me. Neither album is perfect but also I don't really find em to be anything objectionable like some detractors would have you believe. "Endurance test" is purely subjective - I'd say I find plenty of stuff people worship on here to be that myself, including many venerated "pure thrash" albums that have come out in the past few decades. It is what it is. Tastes and all that. None of what you said really contradicts me I don't think.

Quote:

They do have the authentic sound... "Bleeding Me," "Outlaw Torn," "Where the Wild Things Are," I'd have loved them to just go weirder and weirder in that style.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pm 

My favorite thing about the Load/Reload albums is the introspective aspect, I don't care for Metallica lyrics usually, but somehow, I'm interested in the ones on these albums (well... for the most part), they feel so personal and emotive, a little deeper than usual, I think it helps the albums stand out along with the melancholy of it all. It's also more relatable for me, songs like Low Man's Lyric, The Memory Remains and many other more hit me on another level than their other songs. As for the sound, there's a lot of variety too, which I can appreciate. I understand that having a bunch of songs that feel like they could be from another band is a turn off for many, after all, it's not what they're looking for, but it can be interesting for a change of pace. I think it helps that Metallica can pull off alternative rock, hard rock, bluesy songs and whatnot just fine.

On the same note, I'm alright with a lot of bands going out of their usual routine, even if I don't always like it. If a heavy band wants to do a more mellow thing, that's fine by me, the opposite is true too, I like listening to heavier songs from bands that are usually not.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:52 pm 

RainyTheBusinessPerson wrote:
My favorite thing about the Load/Reload albums is the introspective aspect, I don't care for Metallica lyrics usually, but somehow, I'm interested in the ones on these albums (well... for the most part), they feel so personal and emotive, a little deeper than usual, I think it helps the albums stand out along with the melancholy of it all. It's also more relatable for me, songs like Low Man's Lyric, The Memory Remains and many other more hit me on another level than their other songs. As for the sound, there's a lot of variety too, which I can appreciate. I understand that having a bunch of songs that feel like they could be from another band is a turn off for many, after all, it's not what they're looking for, but it can be interesting for a change of pace. I think it helps that Metallica can pull off alternative rock, hard rock, bluesy songs and whatnot just fine.

On the same note, I'm alright with a lot of bands going out of their usual routine, even if I don't always like it. If a heavy band wants to do a more mellow thing, that's fine by me, the opposite is true too, I like listening to heavier songs from bands that are usually not.

It's because the thing that really sets Metallica apart from other thrash bands that were faster, heavier, more savage, more technically proficient, etc. is that they were genuinely fantastic songwriters. James and Lars were extremely talented at crafting really memorable, melodic and powerful pieces of music and that shone through in a lot of the Load/Reload era. I think if they explored that direction more and just accepted that they didn't have it in them anymore to be a rip-roaring thrash metal band they could have made some really fantastic music. The Outlaw Torn is pure heavy metal, very little thrash influence whatsoever and it fucking rocks. They had it in them to write really good stuff but they caved to all of the reactive criticism they received, I suppose.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:51 pm 

poormouth100 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Outside of two songs, is "Hardwired to Self Destruct" a speed/thrash album?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:19 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
Both of the singles have a heavy Riot feel. These guys had Narita on repeat while they were writing this.

Don't you mean Fire Down Under?

I did mean Fire Down Under!

For the crowd comparing these two new tracks with Load and ReLoad, have you ever listened to Load? These tracks have absolutely nothing in common with that era. These tracks, production aside, are much closer to Kill 'em All than anything else Metallica have ever put out. There's definite musical similarities to stuff such as Hit the Light and Phantom Lord. For those making the Load comparions, can someone please give me a track that either of the two singles sound like from that era?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:54 pm 

I like the second single better than the first. However, to be honest I don't have a huge interest in this band nowadays. It sounds like the new album will be pretty decent, though.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:57 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Heh, Opinoins, taste, and all that..... IMO the longer songs are the best from those albums: Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, and Fixxxer are probably the three best songs they did between TBA and Death Magnetic (and by far the best between Load and Reload).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:04 pm 

poormouth100 wrote:
RainyTheBusinessPerson wrote:

It's because the thing that really sets Metallica apart from other thrash bands that were faster, heavier, more savage, more technically proficient, etc. is that they were genuinely fantastic songwriters. James and Lars were extremely talented at crafting really memorable, melodic and powerful pieces of music and that shone through in a lot of the Load/Reload era. I think if they explored that direction more and just accepted that they didn't have it in them anymore to be a rip-roaring thrash metal band they could have made some really fantastic music. The Outlaw Torn is pure heavy metal, very little thrash influence whatsoever and it fucking rocks. They had it in them to write really good stuff but they caved to all of the reactive criticism they received, I suppose.

The songwriting really is what makes them separate from many other bands. Lots of metalheads are mainly looking for speed, an abundance of riffs. Metallica is more about memorable writing and hooks. It comes down to what you want out of music. And yeah - the introspective, different vibe and lyrics of Load and Reload makes them interesting. Life is too short for every artist never to experiment.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:06 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
KaiKasparek wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
Both of the singles have a heavy Riot feel. These guys had Narita on repeat while they were writing this.

Don't you mean Fire Down Under?

I did mean Fire Down Under!

The solo also seems to lift parts pretty much straight off Deep Purple's Speed King (and maybe Highway Star).

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:14 pm 

Yeah these two new songs sound pretty good to my ears. Looking forward to the album.

MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:09 pm 

I wouldn’t say the writing or the hooks on Load or Reload to be memorable at all outside a couple. Those two albums are extremely repetitive and mediocre.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:51 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Heh, Opinoins, taste, and all that..... IMO the longer songs are the best from those albums: Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, and Fixxxer are probably the three best songs they did between TBA and Death Magnetic (and by far the best between Load and Reload).

Yep, those three cuts especially are among the best stuff they ever wrote IMO.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:04 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Hetfield's vocals are good enough during the verses, but otherwise...the song is pure fucking shit - what you folks find appealing about it is beyond me. At least the first new song sounds like a spontaneous take on NWOBHM and works somewhat well enough.

The songwriting shone through after a second listen. Overall the parts are average - bluesy rock riff, functional solo - but together they're ... decent. Lux Aeterna was more immediately gripping and sounds like more energy but less thought went into it.

I will say, the lyrics to Screaming Suicide don't sit well. For a start it may not be a topic that lends itself to Hetfield's vibe, but mostly the song is an up-tempo, fist-pumping anthem. It needs more yea-eahs, not dark lyrics.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:42 am 

My issue with the lyrics are - in my opinion - they aren't executed well. I know what he's going for, and kind of thought there would be a song in this vein on the record after 1.) his speeches during Fade To Black on the last couple tours and 2.) his own personal struggles and personal life over the last few years, but some it is pretty cringe to me.

This whole track (lyrics included) reminds me of a high school band saying "yeah! let's write a metallica song!" after hearing Fade To Black and the Black album. A friend of mine actually joked that it kind of seemed like A.I writing a Metallica song, and I kind of agree.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:48 am 

^ Yeah I can agree with this... I like the themes and all that but it does feel like they're not really hitting them as hard as they could. Could be stronger word choice, etc.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:39 am 

Listening again, don't get the Load comparisons in any way.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next