Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:49 am 

Live sure, to a certain extent, but what you shared doesn't have him screaming, that's what I'm going on.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:50 am 

To be clear Im more interested in seeing how "Hollywood-ized" peoples perception of "angry" has become.
People actually seem to percieve highly sophisticated growling techniques to sound "angry" while, for me, being 100% correct and all-knowing, just hear a talented singer with proper vocal training behind it.

Instead the example above just sounds as naturally angry as it can get, there's no education behind that insanity.

And I am not saying trained growls or frys or other extreme techniques is a bad thing. They can achieve great things.
I like a few Immortal songs for example and thats just the classic black metal shriek or whatever you call it...
And I can dig some Death, Nihilist or Morbid at times...
But they all have very artificual vocal tecniques, and its not a bad thing at all.

But in this thread Im looking for naturally angry vocalists. Theres so great examples posted in the thread.
And then there's a bunch of that "educated" or "artificial" sounding vocals that really doesnt sound like anybody IRL would if being angry in a traffic jam or some morons fighting each other over the last flatscreen TV at a Walmart Black Friday... You never hear anybody activate a sophisticated vocal technique in those situation, it just dont ever happen.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:53 am 

thewrll wrote:
Live sure, to a certain extent, but what you shared doesn't have him screaming, that's what I'm going on.

Please share an example of what you consider screaming. :)

Curious to know what your reference point is, if neither of those qualifies... I have been yelled at by angry people and also yelled at others myself and typically people sound like the examples of Anticimex or Wolfpack when being mad at somebody IRL. Ive never had somebody going at me with a death growl or black shriek or pig squeel or opera singing. All are vocal techniques that can be trained and performed as professionals. The singer of Anticimex/Wolfpack doesnt do anything proper or heatlhy at all. He just... well, screams/yells. But not according to you. So thats interesting how we percieve the same singer so differently. :)

But yeah. Gimme your reference point so I can understand what you mean. :headbang:

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:22 am 

You're growing rather tiresome.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 am 

I don't know, there's plenty of extreme singers that sound angry and completely unhinged. Maybe you're not listening to the right music.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:41 am 

I agree with the OP. A lot of bands, and especially the mainstream stuff tends to sound super polished and "Hollywood-ized" to borrow their word. This problem is particularly present in sleek melodeath and mainstream "extreme" power metal.

That said, Dave Hunt from Anaal Nathrakh is one of the more nasty vocalists I know, and sounded very pissed off/despair laden. Especially on the earlier material.

Big +1 for the Katharsis recommendation as well.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:44 am 

Shit, I totally forgot about Dave Hunt. He's absolutely feral.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:06 pm 

There is definitely a difference between an anger tone and a metal vocal tone. I remember I had a friend who was really into black metal when we was teenagers and when he would get mad he would yell at you in black metal voice and it always came off as comical and so disingenuous.

With that said i still feel like Guy from The Red Chord, and Barney from Napalm Death specifically from Enemey of the music buisness and beyond both sound very angry and genuine, as does Corey Taylor of Slipknot.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:35 pm 

It's hard to tell. Even when metal vocals are "unschooled" and they really go for the unhinged screaming, I find them to be more desperate-sounding rather than angry (like early Katatonia, Bethlehem and similar DSBM bands). One could make a point that, if you want "neighbor junkies having a loud argument over some stupid shit", even Dave Mustaine is a better fit and sounds angrier than the thousands of growlers who use several techniques to achieve those inhumane vocal sounds.

I'm having the feeling that, no matter what I post, it won't suit what you're looking for.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:39 am 

greywanderer7 wrote:
It's hard to tell. Even when metal vocals are "unschooled" and they really go for the unhinged screaming, I find them to be more desperate-sounding rather than angry (like early Katatonia, Bethlehem and similar DSBM bands). One could make a point that, if you want "neighbor junkies having a loud argument over some stupid shit", even Dave Mustaine is a better fit and sounds angrier than the thousands of growlers who use several techniques to achieve those inhumane vocal sounds.

I'm having the feeling that, no matter what I post, it won't suit what you're looking for.

Yeah I am probably the biggest DSBM fan on here and I would agree the best vocals are described as desperate rather than angry. The closest I will come to calling vocals yelling are featured in post black metal, specifically Karg's vocals.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:31 am 

Arguably, the vocals on Deathcrush.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:13 pm 

I don't think I saw Sylvain Houde of early ('90s era) Kataklysm mentioned, but he fits the bill, doesn't he?

On The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation, Sorcery and Temple of Knowledge, which are the only 3 he ever did aside from a few demos, he's positively unhinged from a core of anger and insanity.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:04 am 

Silenius sounds pissed off in the latest Abigor album. Sure, not as manic as some mentions here but

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:51 am 

Mirko from Foreseen is from the yell at the mic angrily school of vocalists.

Bob Otis from Dropdead ranting about animal rights is probably the peak for me, but that's not metal.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:34 pm 

greywanderer7 wrote:

Well,yeah, DSBM is almost opposite of what Im looking for.

I just wanna hear natural, realistic, unpretentious and unschooled YELLING free from finesse and fancy singing techniques.

Its fun how so many people despite this posts singers who sound nothing like a real person would sound like if angry in an IRL situation.
I guess some people simply are raised up to percieve "hollywoodized" artificial dramatical singing as more "angry" than somebody who actually sounds angry in real life.

Im sure there are people with fancy techniques that feel angry about whateveer lyric topic they sing about, but they still dont sound natural. They manipulate voice in ways people dont use in regular life when being angry at each other.

And I never its bad. I love good growls and schooled techniques for death, thrash, black, whatevergenre... It cansoundgood for the music!

But its still not NATURAL anger voice.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:34 pm 

worlock wrote:
Mirko from Foreseen is from the yell at the mic angrily school of vocalists.

Bob Otis from Dropdead ranting about animal rights is probably the peak for me, but that's not metal.

This is proper yelling, for sure!

jdmunyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:01 am 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Yes, Barney Greenway is what you are looking for, specially in the album Smear Campaign. Also Demolition hammer guy, in the album Epidemic of violence

Nice to see a fan of Smear Campaign! Barney's 100% conviction in every single lyric on that album in particular certainly helps.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:21 am 

Tom Araya on God Hates Us All, especially Payback and Exile

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:02 pm 

Examples of this might be few and far between on Metal, except for crossover thrash, noise, sludge or anything more prone to touch on social/political themes openly. I mean, lots of more extreme metal acts are just posing as super evil, talking about Satan, killing, gore, horror, sci-fi just for shock value/commercial purposes/fitting in. So, it's logical to deduce that, in many cases, if they're just staging/acting for the aforementioned reasons, it will show through their music at least to some extent. The opposite is also true: if a band is trying to pass on a message, specially about how fucked up our world is, it will show through their music.
Someone even mentioned Chat Pile earlier. I just found out about this band a few days back and, to me, they're convincingly pissed off. If you pay attention to most of their lyrics, you'll figure out why.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:56 pm 

Now that I remember, the guy from Horna used to do some angry shouting from time to time in between the standard black metal rasps, that is, until his voice devolved into a generic rasp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEWCQ7FKfZI

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:34 am 

I always thought Melechesh Ashmedi had a vicious "bite" and snarl to his vocals. Jens Ryden's work with Naglfar stands out as some of my favourite black metal vocals ever.

More recently, Levy Seynaeve from Wiegedood is pretty vicious and unhinged.

Non-Metal vote goes to Lingua Ignota, whose last 2 albums were more unsettling than anything metal I've heard in that time span.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:27 am 

Slater922 wrote:
I still get chills listening to Damaar. Some of the most bestial and intense metal vocals I've ever listened to...

The vocals made this a classic demo.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:27 pm 

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:18 pm 

Nocturnal_Evil wrote:
I agree with the OP. A lot of bands, and especially the mainstream stuff tends to sound super polished and "Hollywood-ized" to borrow their word. This problem is particularly present in sleek melodeath and mainstream "extreme" power metal.

That said, Dave Hunt from Anaal Nathrakh is one of the more nasty vocalists I know, and sounded very pissed off/despair laden. Especially on the earlier material.

Big +1 for the Katharsis recommendation as well.

Definite +1 for Dave Hunt. Especially for his time spent in Mistress where his vocals would really wrap up every song into an unhinged rage tantrum.

Some more mentions would be Phil McSorley when he was in Cobalt.
That vocal always sounded like pure vitriol to me, and the vivid and borderline disturbing lyrics actually give them extra weight as well. Also his live performances were just as you would expect with that kind of voice.

Then I think mandatory mentions would be Dax Riggs during Acid Bath era and Lord Worm in Cryptopsy.

And whatever band Ethan McCarthy is involved with cause that guy just can't miss.

yung_souichi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:04 pm 

Concrete Winds or Methchrist, for my money

https://youtu.be/BcnAj-Vgfi0

https://youtu.be/WWppNikhBhs

Miss Amerikkka? Only parasites will

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2