* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:59 am 

sgtrobo wrote:
My top 25, and how they placed
1(2) Immolation - Acts of God - my fave DM band. Incomprehensible how one of the OSDM masters can still put out an album of this quality >30 years later
2(86) Heaving Earth - Darkness of God - Immolation meets Ulcerate. Unsurprising that I love these guys
3(34) Artificial Brain - s/t - ribbit (iykyk)
4(151) Esoctrilihum - Consecration Of The Spiritüs Flesh - absolute travesty that this did so poorly
5(1). Blind Guardian - The God Machine - incredible release, loved this album. Easily...EASILY their best since Nightfall
6. Nefarious Mash - In Memory Of Your Hopes - RRRRRaaando powerrrrr!!!! Avant garde BM
7(5). Voivod - Synchro Anarchy - one of my favorite bands, their hot streak continues
8(12) Wormrot - Hiss - phenomenally enjoyable grind album
9. Vihameditaatio - Metafyysinen K​ä​sitys Itsestä - another rando vote, another batshitcrazy unknown BM band
10. Dysgnostic - Scar Echoes - dissodeath, for fans of Ulcerate/Ad Nauseam
11(138) Cosmic Putrefaction - Crepuscular Dirge For The Blessed Ones - album is dense and intense
12(29) Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstasy - speaking of batshit crazy
13(202) Tómarúm - Ash In Realms Of Stone Icons
14(105) Saor - Origins
15. Veilburner - VLBRNR - Dissoblack - wow, it only had a rando vote, that kinda surprises me. Their 2021 release (Lurkers in the Capsule of Skull) was my #2 that year
16(7) Sigh - Shiki - typically enjoyable release from them
17(275) Graceless - Chants From Purgatory - figured this would've been a rando also, ffo Bolt Thrower, Asphyx
18. Light Dweller - Lucid Offering - no votes, shame, great album!
19. 金猫塔 (Golden Cat Pagoda) - 弥弥 (Mí Mí) --> Avant Garde/Psychedelic BM, not on MA yet. https://pestproductions.bandcamp.com/album/m-m
20(55) Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying... And The Dead! - wow, I liked this more than anything they've released since RiP. Not that it is on that level but it really grew on me
21. Wolfcross - From The North - no votes, if you like blackened speed/thrash, a la Destroyer666, Ketzer, Bütcher, etc, then you might like this
22(42) Hath - All That Was Promised
23(104) Suppression - The Sorrow Of Soul Through Flesh - huh? no votes? Oh, it's 104th, it is just mispelt is all :)
24(14) The Chasm - The Scars Of A Lost Reflective Shadow - gotta hand it to these guys, they put out quality stuff
25(241) Altars - Ascetic Reflection - dissonant death/doom

My own personal observations - BaN was a bit disappointing to me. I liked it a good bit but thought it lacked in comparison to some of their previous releases. DsO was a darned good album but Septicflesh was another semi-disappointment. I give their album an 8 but I'm a fan of theirs so was hoping for a little bit more.
Ashenspire and White Ward - For whatever reason, neither stuck with me, despite being albums I expected to enjoy. Perhaps they'll grow on me and make it to my "2022 recap" in about 12 months, I dunno. Ashenspire was "decent" and White Ward was kinda boring for me, but there was a time I thought Agalloch was boring as well, so like I said, perhaps it's a grower.

Looking over the past years, I'm still awestruck that a giant steaming turd of boredom like Yawnjutsu did so well last year, although everybody knows Iron Maiden, so it's inevitable that an album that damned near everybody listened to would gather enough fans. I love seeing my favorite band do well, but hated listening to the worst Bruce album.
Power Trip over Immolation in 2017? Uh...ok.... 0.o
I now have to go and listen to Negative Plane, Sumerlands, Messa and Autonoeis, since I've never even heard of them.
Thanks a ton to BH, who is undeniably better than Stalin, no matter what he claims.

Definitely going to look at that Pagoda album.

totalthrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:35 am 

Hey MetlaNZ,

Excellent choices, your post was too long ago to quote but I was curious to see who else voted for Vio-lence so I kept scrolling back
and eventually found your post way back.

I see you also had Destruction in your honorable mentions so you have excellent taste in music.

I think Diabolical and Under Attack are the two best Destruction albums since their 80s stuff.

Vio-lence - Flesh from Bone is definitely one of my favorite songs in 20 years and right up there as being maybe my favorite
song from a so called reunion or comeback album.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:08 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Mostly the reason I do it the way I do is because I just do. [...] I assure everybody that the point totals themselves are correct and the spreadsheet totally bears that out. I'm just bad at remembering numbers across any gap of time greater than six seconds.

That's what I figured! If you're interested here is a version that takes pure vote counts and tallies the points as well as producing the BBCode text so you can copy the column to make the results post (you'll have to add the [list=1] and rando placement headings manually though).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p0z46Ny4CI

Once all the votes are in, I sorted the whole thing by vote count to get the randos at the bottom, then sorted the non-rando and rando sections separately by two columns together (points and band name). This is how you do it?

The band and album id columns I thought might be useful in the (distant) future to be able to check for duplicates coming from people submitting misspelled ballots.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:40 am 

totalthrash wrote:
Hey MetlaNZ,

Excellent choices, your post was too long ago to quote but I was curious to see who else voted for Vio-lence so I kept scrolling back

I see you also had Destruction in your honorable mentions so you have excellent taste in music.

I think Diabolical and Under Attack are the two best Destruction albums since their 80s stuff.

Vio-lence - Flesh from Bone is definitely one of my favorite songs in 20 years and right up there as being maybe my favorite

Yeah, Let The World Burn was fuckin killer from start to finish. Loved it right from the get go, every song has it's own identity and great hooks. I only had it in 10th spot coz it was an EP and I thought it would end up as a rando, glad to be proven wrong.
My reaction to Destruction was a bit different. I got it, put it on, thought yep that's Destruction alright, then quietly filed it away in the collection. It wasn't until I revisited it for the poll that it clicked and mate did it fuckin click. What a ripper of an album, it can easily sit beside those 80's classics.
Which leads me to the new albums from Kreator and Megadeth. I think they're good albums and in the case of Kreator definitely an improvement on the album before, but they both don't go for the jugular like Vio-lence and Destruction. Oh well, they are getting on a bit I suppose.
One that did have a good crack at going for the throat was Razor. Some good friendly violent fun but it was such a piss poor production. Nevermind.
Hey, if you haven't checked out The Troops Of Doom then you really should. Wicked death/thrash that'll rip ya head off with it's awesome mix of 80's Sepultura, Slayer and Celtic Frost. Guitarist Jairo T from the original Seps came from out of the wilderness to kick ass like it was 1985 all over again!
Oh and dunno if you like Gwar but their new album was freaking awesome too. Sorry Ace, they nearly made it onto my list.

sgtrobo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:15 am 

MikeyC wrote:
sgtrobo wrote:
6. Nefarious Mash - In Memory Of Your Hopes - RRRRRaaando powerrrrr!!!! Avant garde BM

I like avant-garde black metal but this one didn't do a lot for me when I sampled it a few months ago. Maybe I should give it another shot.

sgtrobo wrote:
19. 金猫塔 (Golden Cat Pagoda) - 弥弥 (Mí Mí) --> Avant Garde/Psychedelic BM, not on MA yet. https://pestproductions.bandcamp.com/album/m-m

Interesting stuff here. :)

definitely give the Nefarious Mash another listen, and....it still might not do it for you :)

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:46 am 

MeltedFace wrote:
1. Belphegor The Devils (76)

You are my kinda guy! We were the ones to push them above the 100-line. *pats back*

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:22 am 

I gotta say picking the top ten was bloody difficult. I'm already grabbing a bunch of stuff people have posted in their lists that I didn't know about or overlooked.
Here's where my ten were placed in the list:

10. Blackbraid – Blackbraid I (30)
9. Psycroptic – Divine Council (301)
8. Kardashev – Liminal Rites (172)
7. Autonoesis - Moon of Foul Magics (10)
6. Wake – Thought form Descent (47)
5. Blut Aus Nord – Disharmonium–Undreamable Abysses (8)
4. Werewolves – From the Cave to the Grave (rando)
3. Spiritworld - Deathwestern (rando)
2. The Antichrist Imperium – Vol III: Satan in his Original Glory (57)
1. Haunter – Discarnate Ails (63)

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:24 am 

here's my rather haphazard list:

1. Sigh - Shiki
2. Immolation - Acts of God
3. Wormrot - Hiss
4. Konvent - Call Down the Sun
5. Wiegedood - There's Always Blood at The End of The Road
6. Inexorum - Equinox Vigil
7. Misanthropæ - Untitled
8. Gaerea - Mirage
9. Ruine - Révolte et Crânerie Paysanne
10. Algebra - Chiroptera

this felt like a particularly difficult year, though largely because i spent a bit over a week abroad during the holidays (nyc xmas, yay), and generally didn't have much time to devote to this

i'm glad blind guardian won, even though they didn't make my list - certainly a good album

three of my picks are in the top 12 (sigh, immolation, wormrot), and two are randos (ruine, algebra) - the last few spots could have just as easily gone to a bunch of other albums, which i shall list as honorable mentions below (in no order):

Dead Void - Volatile Forms
Disfuneral - Blood Red Tentacle
Ante-Inferno - Antediluvian Dreamscapes
Autonoesis - Moon of Foul Magics
Voivod - Synchro Anarchy
Artificial Brain - Artificial Brain
Nite - Voices of the Kronian Moon
Verberis - Adumbration of the Veiled Logos
Pure Wrath - Hymn to the Woeful Hearts
Downcross - Hexapoda Triumph
Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses
Deathspell Omega - The Long Defeat
Slaegt - Goddess
Steel Inferno - Evil Reign
Bâ'a - Egrégore

that blut aus nord album was initially jumping fairly high on my list, but after subsequent listens, it didn't hold up as well as it first hit. to anyone who voted voivod (or any other thrash album), be sure to check out algebra as well - very energetic stuff, that felt new and nostalgic at the same time

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:19 am 

Have had a bit more time to digest the results since my initial reaction post. Here, let me repost the top 10 I submitted with their finishing spots:

1. Kreator - Hate Über Alles (38)
2. Ataraxy - The Last Mirror (74)
3. Deserted Fear - Doomsday (267)
4. Watain - The Agony & Ecstasy of Watain (36)
5. Demiricous - III: Chaotic Lethal (RANDO)
6. Autopsy - Morbidity Triumphant (26)
7. Exhumed - To the Dead (235)
8. Conan - Evidence of Immortality (157)
9. Misery Index - Complete Control (239)
10. Corpsessed - Succumb to Rot (217)

Honorable mentions - stuff I listened to this year that didn't even reach the results list as a rando [not necessarily the next however many or so rankings]:
Diablo ‎– When All the Rivers Are Silent
Freedom Hawk - Take All You Can
Revolting - Born to Be Dead
Goatwhore - Angels Hung From the Arches of Heaven [surprised this didn't show up at all]
Wo Fat - The Singularity
Fleshgore - Carnival of Flesh
Vermin Womb - Retaliation
The Wakedead Gathering - Parallaxiom
Mastic Scum - Icon
Rotheads – Slither in Slime
Entrails - An Eternal Time of Decay [another surprise miss]
Lamb of God - Omens [a third surprise miss, though I suppose a bit more understandable given the audience of this site]
Worn Mantle - Worn Mantle
Voimaton – Profane Vestige
Human Compost - Descendants of Evil
Abythic - Eden of the Doomed (EP)
Napalm Death - Resentment Is Always Seismic - A Final Throw of Throes (EP)
Abysmal Dawn - Nightmare Frontier (EP)

Not surprised about those EPs not showing up - they are EPs after all, not albums, even if they were otherwise eligible for the poll since it was all new material [heck, the Napalm Death EP is essentially just outtakes from the sessions of their most recent full-length from 2020].

I guess I am also a little surprised that no one listed Sodom's album of re-recordings, though granted I'm not sure if it would be eligible. I didn't get around to the album myself, and if the 2023 releases thread is any indication [and not just wishcasting], the band will have a proper album of new songs coming up this year.

Either way, apparently still have way too much to check out from the past year, beyond releases I shortlisted as potential listens but didn't get the chance to purchase. Those "Unforgotten" Randos in particular seem very interesting to me.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:04 am 

I’m responsible for Autophagy winding up in the unforgotten Rando corner. Originally had that one in my top ten but wound up amending my ballot and giving the nod to Triumvir Foul instead. Interesting to see no one else voted for either band/album.

My list with MA rankings:

01. Voivod - Synchro Anarchy (#5)
02. Satan - Earth Infernal (#11)
03. Darkthrone - Astral Fortress (#13)
04. The Chasm - The Scars Of A Lost Reflective Shadow (#14)
05. Autopsy - Morbidity Triumphant (#26)
06. Devil Master - Ecstasies Of Never Ending Night (#46)
07. Spiter - Bathe The Babe In Bats Blood (#57)
08. Triumvir Foul - Onslaught To Seraphim (Rando)
09. Mortuous - Upon Desolation (#338)
10. Church Of Disgust - Weakest Is The Flesh (#306)

This year was great for new music. I did a top 40 list and was still leaving off decent albums. Voivod, Satan, and Darkthrone may seem like obvious choices, but those are bands that consistently release killer albums. A lot of my favorites this year were what I considered “feel it in your guts” death metal. Triumvir Foul, Chaotian, Vrenth, Imprecation, Mortuous, and Rotten Tomb all come to mind. More powerful than your average muddy OSDM worship.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 am 

1. Drache - De Mauvais Augure (rando)
2. Stangarigel - Na Severe Srdca (137)
3. Panzerfaust - The Suns of Perdition - Chapter III: The Astral Drain (123)
4. Ufomammut - Fenice (263)
5. Hulder - The Eternal Fanfare (264)
6. Vital Spirit - Still as the night, cold as the wind (176)
7. Drudkh - All Belong to the Night (31)
8. Doedsvangr - Koinonia (rando)
9. Transcending Rites - Worship of the Triumvirs (rando)
10. Scarcity - Aveilut (97)

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:17 am 

Was happy that Behemoth have very poor result

So he can bash himself and not cry of how many bands must change work
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:25 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

What?

AgentMadhatt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:00 pm 

Pleasantly surprised to see Negative Plane so high on the list. I felt like that album was majorly slept on. The only place I saw it on as number 1 was one of the Invisible Oranges staff. I'm honestly shocked Blind Guardian took the top spot. I thought Misthyrming and Inexorum and Abstract Illusion should have been higher up. Maybe can chalk that up to their later in the year release dates ( except Inexorum) But as always my main goal is to just have fun seeing what people are digging

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:07 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

What?

I'm assuming he's referring to a post Nergal made this past year about how there's too many bands and too much art nowadays and that people need to stop pursuing creative outlets and go get real jobs.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:16 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Lee Harrison wrote:

What?

I'm assuming he's referring to a post Nergal made this past year about how there's too many bands and too much art nowadays and that people need to stop pursuing creative outlets and go get real jobs.

Ah, I do remember that. Not going to lie, as much as I think Nergal is a fucking clown, he was he was a bit in the right when he said there are too many bands doing awful music. Behemoth may be even one of them depending on who you ask!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:36 pm 

Got eight albums in the top 110, including four in the top ten, and only two in the Rando Corner. I don't think there's ever been a time where I was this close to the general consensus.

Splendid work as always, Mr. Head!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:02 pm 

My top 25 were:

01. Wiegedood - There's Always Blood At The End Of The Road
02. Kvaen - The Great Below
03. Yrre - Luhale X The Witch
04. Bloody Hammers - Washed In The Blood
05. White Rune - Dawn Of The White Rune
06. Nite - Voices Of The Kronian Moon
07. The Halo Effect - Days Of The Lost
08. Deadlife - The Darkening
09. Grima - Frostbitten
10. Devin Townsend - Lightwork
------
11. Deliverance - Neon Chaos In A Junk-Sick Dawn
12. Thumos - The Republic
13. Lacrimas Profundere - How To Shroud Yourself with Night
14. Russian Circles - Gnosis
15. White Ward - False Light
16. Sumerlands - Dreamkiller
17. Avantasia - A Paranormal Evening With The Moonflower Society
18. Ancient North - Altior Philosophia
19. Midnight - Let There Be Witchery
20. Scarcity - Aveilut
21. Maule - Maule
22. Prelude - Tales Of The Weak
23. Power Paladin - With The Magic Of Windfyre Steel
24. Dark Meditation - Polluted Temples
25. Liturgy - As The Blood Of God Bursts The Veins Of Time

All-in-all, it felt like a REALLY weak year to me (for non-metal stuff, too.) I can't remember a year where i was so underwhelmed with new releases.

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:33 pm 

1. Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture #16
2. Asunojokei - Island #122
3. Terzij De Horde - In One of These, I Am Your Enemy #156
4. Arch Enemy - Deceivers #115
5. Autoneosis - Moon of Foul Magics #10
6. Seizure - Forbidden Tales #313
7. Live Burial - Curse of the Forlorn #273
8. Auriferous Flame - The Great Mist Within #rando
9. Cirkeln - A Song to Sorrow #rando
10. Gonemage - Handheld Demise #rando

First of all, great work by BH!

I'm pretty surprised by some of my entries going as far as they did, especially Ashenspire and Autonoesis. I think based on the volume alone of the main list, it really shows how dense the releases were this year. Makes me wonder what the total releases for next year will be, I'm expecting lower overall.

Also thank you to whoever nominated Tyrannus as their #1 (even if they did get autocorrected to Unshakeable).

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:29 pm 

But Nergal say that after the flop of Us tour,strange never bothered us with that theory when the things were going well…

For me it’s only hypocrisy…
Democracy can resist the authoritarian threat only if it transforms itself from a democracy of passive spectators into a democracy of active participants, in which the problems of the community are familiar to the individual and as important to him as his private affairs

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:09 am 

My list:

1. Autonoesis - Moon of Foul Magics (#10)
2. Sumerlands - Dreamkiller (#4)
3. Satan - Earth Infernal (#11)
4. Te Ruki - Marako Te Ruki (#284)
5. Sonja - Loud Arriver (#25)
6. Sadistic Ritual - The Enigma, Boundless (rando... WTF)
7. Fer de Lance - The Hyperborean (#80)
8. Maule - Maule (#331)
9. Darkened - The Black Winter (rando)
10. Exilium Noctis - Fragments of the Apocalypse (rando)

Real disappointed to see Te Ruki and Maule so low, and no love for Sadistic Ritual at all :( but at least Sumerlands did okay.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:26 am 

Morrigan wrote:
My list:

8. Maule - Maule (#331)

Real disappointed to see Te Ruki and Maule so low, and no love for Sadistic Ritual at all :( but at least Sumerlands did okay.

What about them speak to you, why would you expect them to get loved more?

I'll check out The Te Ruki album but that Sadistic Ritual album sounds like nothing special.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:39 am 

Always love these....here is what I submitted - fairly pedestrian list but :shrugs:

1 - Artificial Brain - Artificial Brain (34)
Im not always the biggest disciple of this style of death metal but this just fuckin worked for me. Great atmosphere - listening to this really puts me into that scene on the front cover. Super atmospheric but also intense and oddly catchy. Biggest and best surprise of the year for me.

2 - Blind Guardian - The God Machine (1)
Super stoked to see this as the winner. Just a great refreshing album from these guys. I liked the last few but maybe didnt love them, so I was happy to see them just strip it back a bit and kick some ass. Great tunes here.

3 - Threshold - Dividing Lines (33)
Such a fantastic band. Not as good as Legends of the Shires but still really great. "Hall of Echoes" just rules and the first 5-6 songs all are fantastic. Strange pacing where there are a few mellower songs in a row near the end before the killer finale. These guys have never put anything out that is less than 'really really good'.

4 - The Chasm - Scars of a Lost Reflectice Shadow (14)
Seems a little more 'old school' than their recent output and I am here for this. Excellent riffs as always and way more focused than the instrumental album.

5 - Disillusion - Ayam (103)
Really good record to just get lost in. Actually suprised it almost cracked the top 100

6 - Gaerea - Mirage (69)
Actually thought this would be higher.

7 - Persefone - Metanoia (56)

8 - Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture (16)

9 - Amorphis - Halo (15)
Like Threshold, not as good as the previous, but still an excellent band doing what they do best, while tweaking their sound a bit.

10 - Sumerlands - Dreamkiller (4)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:53 am 

thewrll wrote:

I'll check out The Te Ruki album but that Sadistic Ritual album sounds like nothing special.

They rip, that's what. And they sure as shit aren't less "special" than the top 3 winners :zzz:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:14 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:

It's funny because their last two album sound basically the same.
The last album has one cool song (The Deathless Sun). The rest are completely forgettable.
From the previous one i only recall Bartzabel and i wouldn't even put it in a Behemoth best of.

alkostach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:17 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Sadistic Ritual was in my top 50, but alas we only vote for 10.

I remember loving The Enigma, Boundless when it got released, but as the year went on it slipped out of my consciousness and I never really felt like going back to it.

And about the winners I couldn't agree more. Results were not exciting nor surprising.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:28 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
thewrll wrote:

They rip, that's what. And they sure as shit aren't less "special" than the top 3 winners :zzz:

Not saying the top three are anything special but included on that list is that Sadistic Ritual album, boring af.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:37 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
totalthrash wrote:
Hey MetlaNZ,

Yeah, Let The World Burn was fuckin killer from start to finish. Loved it right from the get go, every song has it's own identity and great hooks. I only had it in 10th spot coz it was an EP and I thought it would end up as a rando, glad to be proven wrong.
My reaction to Destruction was a bit different. I got it, put it on, thought yep that's Destruction alright, then quietly filed it away in the collection. It wasn't until I revisited it for the poll that it clicked and mate did it fuckin click. What a ripper of an album, it can easily sit beside those 80's classics.
Which leads me to the new albums from Kreator and Megadeth. I think they're good albums and in the case of Kreator definitely an improvement on the album before, but they both don't go for the jugular like Vio-lence and Destruction. Oh well, they are getting on a bit I suppose.
One that did have a good crack at going for the throat was Razor. Some good friendly violent fun but it was such a piss poor production. Nevermind.
Hey, if you haven't checked out The Troops Of Doom then you really should. Wicked death/thrash that'll rip ya head off with it's awesome mix of 80's Sepultura, Slayer and Celtic Frost. Guitarist Jairo T from the original Seps came from out of the wilderness to kick ass like it was 1985 all over again!
Oh and dunno if you like Gwar but their new album was freaking awesome too. Sorry Ace, they nearly made it onto my list.

I thought it had a bit more heft in the guitars than the prior release and some nice songwriting. Though I'd never doubt GWAR lest they come slay me.

Though I still think my favorite track of the Blothar era is Fuck This Place.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:28 pm 

I'll be frank, Autonoesis completely slipped under the radar for me, never heard of them until the poll. Having gone for a listen now based on their top ten showing? Pretty fucking good album :metal:

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:32 pm 

Thanks for doing this as usual. Unlike last two years I didn't really have that many new albums I was gripped by, and struggled to put together a top 10 that didn't have cruft in it like the new Megadeth, which is fine but not very good really. A lot of albums where was like "oh so this is a new album" and listened to it a couple of times and that was it. So I didn't vote. Sorry.

Immolation would've been my album of the year though, spectacularly strong I thought, and whaddya know, another top vote would have tipped it to No. 1. Democracy eh. Didn't even know Blind Guardian put out a new one this year tbh. I do wonder if this is because I swapped from Spotify to Tidal this year, and Tidal just isn't as good at recommending new releases to me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:26 pm 

thewrll wrote:
Not saying the top three are anything special but included on that list is that Sadistic Ritual album, boring af.

That's funny because few bands are more boring than Blut Aus Nord and somehow that also made the top 10. Whatever people see into this coma-inducing band, I'll never know

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Kosst_Amojan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:30 pm 

Hmm, so well, let's see how my favourites ended!

1) An Abstract Illusion – Woe – 49th
2) Misþyrming - Með hamri – 21st
3) Ofdrykkja - After the Storm - random
4) Illyria - Take Me Somewhere Beautiful - random
5) Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses – 8th
6) In the Woods... – Diversum – 82th
7) Persefone – Metanoia – 56th
8) Coldworld – Isolation – 254th
9) Shape of Despair - Return to the Void – 222th
10) Coscradh - Nahanagan Stadial – 310th

Not such a surprise that my bro, when I showed him this list, said to me that he never ever heard for any of the listed bands, let alone albums! ;)

p.s. Blut aus Nord are by far the best placed from my list, hmmm, is that mean that they are slowly becoming a mainstream? :D

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:49 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
thewrll wrote:

That's funny because few bands are more boring than Blut Aus Nord and somehow that also made the top 10. Whatever people see into this coma-inducing band, I'll never know

I'm not sure I agree with them being boring, more their sound doesn't work for me.

IIX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:07 pm 

Figured I would go forth and break down each of my choices and examine and their impact and some of the digressive elements. Well, here goes:

1.) White Ward: False Light
Where I expected it to place: 11-15
How I fared: Somewhat off at #6- though by 85 points at highest placement within the range
Impact of my vote: Moved past the 7th place spot to the 6th by pushing it 4 points past Sigh's Shiki
Month/Season: June/Summer
Country/Continent: Ukraine/Europe

2.) Voivod: Syncho Anarchy
Where I expected it to place: 1-5
How I fared: Within the expected range -Though not an extraordinary call
Impact of my vote: The 18 points from this vote was just enough(by 1 point!) to put this in 5th place ahead of White Ward's False Light Month/Season: February/Winter
Country/Continent: Canada/North America

3.) The Chasm: Scars of a Lost Reflective Shadow
Where I expected it to place: 30-35
How I fared: Decently far off - in terms of the number of places and the 80 point difference at the highest place in that range
Impact of my vote: My vote for this album being in the 3rd slot allotted 15 points and was enough to move this album ahead of Amorphis' Halo, with a 7 point difference, to rank 14th overall
Month/Season: May/Spring
Country/Continent: United States of America /North America ( While it is true that The Chasm started out in Mexico, they have been based out of the US for 20+ years and so for the country entry I am going with where the band is based out off at the time of recording)

4.) Sigh: Shiki
Where I expected it to place: 6-10
How I fared: Within the expected range
Impact of my vote: No real impact with the 52 point difference between this and Blut Aus Nord's Disharmonium – Undreamable Abysses
Month/Season: August/Summer
Country/Continent: Japan/Asia

5.) Hammers of Misfortune: Overtaker
Where I expected it to place: 66-70
How I fared: Off by at least 5 in terms of placement and 9 points at highest place in the range
Impact of my vote: Enough to move it from the actual 66th place to 59th. ...of all things
Month/Season: December/Winter
Country/Continent: United States of America/North America

6.) Imperial Triumphant: Spirit of Ecstasy
Where I expected it to place: 40-45
How I fared: Off by over 10 places and 38 points within the highest range
Impact of my vote: 8 points for 6th place vote effectively moved this album from 33rd to 29th
Month/Season: July/Summer
Country/Continent: United States of America/North America

7).Autonoesis: Moon of Foul Magics
Where I expected it to place: 46-50
How I fared: Way off....I could not see this making it into the top 10...yet it did
Impact of my vote: None....23 points separate this from Satan's Earth Infernal, when this vote was only worth 7
Month/Season: August/Summer
Country/Continent: Canada/North America

8.) Cosmic Putrefaction: Crepuscular Dirge of the Blessed Ones
Where I expected it to place: 115-120
How I fared: Off by up to 18 places and yet just 5 points
Impact of my vote: moved it from 147-150th to it's final ranking
Country/Continent: Italy/Europe

9.) Verberis: Abumeration of Veiled Logos
Where I expected it to place: 106-110
How I fared: Difference of 11 places and 6 points
Impact of my vote: Raised it from 96th - 97th to its final ranking
Month/Season: June/Summer
Country/Continent: New Zealand – Germany / Oceania – Europe

10.) Blut Aus Nord: Disharmonium – Undreamable Abysses
Where I expected it to place: 6-10
How I fared: Within the expected range
Impact of my vote: None! Entries both ahead and behind are more than 1 point apart
Country/Continent: France/Europe

TIME

Months:

February: 1
May: 3
June: 2
July: 1
August: 2
December: 1

Seasons:

Spring: 3
Summer: 5
Winter: 2

-Really, not anything I expected to correlate here. Just wanted to try out a different take of breaking down my rankings and thought this would be a fun way of doing so. Despite the proliferation of albums released in the Summer or Late Spring..most of them I didn't end up listening to until October and even into December.

-For the sake of evenness and simplicity, I'll ignore the actual date of solstices and equinoxes and consider any date in the months they occur, as being within that season (I.e any release in December is winter and and June release is summer, etc.)

SPACE:

countries:

Canada: 2
France: 1
Germany: ½
Italy: 1
Japan: 1
New Zealand: ½
United States of America: 3
Ukraine: 1

continents:

Asia: 1
Europe: 3 ½
North America: 5
Oceania: ½

-Same here, just attempting to stumbling around different approaches to how my top 10 shaped out.

Thoughts and takeaways:

Well, surprisingly 5 of my picks ended up in the top 10, with 6 in the 15. I was sure that a couple would rank highly, though I did not expect my rankings to track with the overall vote in the way it did.

In pursuing some of the lists in polling thread, it was at least clear that none of my picks would end up in rando this time. Unlike in the best of 90s thread where I, unexpectedly, had 4 of them land in rando (though I did not anticipate this with The Chasm's Deathcult album nor Sigh's Hail Horror Hail... I really thought they would have had more of a presence). So, alas, I am not so much in the elite corner of obscurist metaldom after all...I guess it's simply what it is.

While, that is one contrast with the mid-year best of 90s poll, obvious similarities also come to mind. This si evident with albums three bands(The Chasm,Sigh, and Voivod) that I have voted for in polls (it would have been 4 if Cynic released in “Ascension Codes” in 2022). That just leads to the reality of the albums that I will pay attention to will be from bands/acts/musicians I already in a constrained short-term timeframe such as a year and will over time there will just simply be a greater likelihood of the previously overlooked gems to emerge when looking back years from now with more of sense of perspective. 7 out of 10 of these albums were from bands that I already pay attention to, several of them for at least a decade, some more recently (really newer bands like White Ward and Imperial Triumphant).

It should be noted that most of these ranked very close relative to each other and there are simply some albums which could have easily placed here instead, given time to allow the album to sink in, or gems that I am really just becoming aware at all, or their respective quality by seeing them listed in both this thread, and the earlier polling thread. This was Really a tough choice indeed. Ultimately, despite any possible future amendments to a top 10 best metal album list of 2022, I can stand by the albums I listed and consider them all worthwhile releases.

Thanks again to BastardHead for putting this all together and continuing to make this all possible! The best to everyone in 2023!

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:45 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Though I still think my favorite track of the Blothar era is Fuck This Place.

Aarrggh! That's off the one album of their's that I don't have funnily enough. I will fix that in the near future.

Morrigan wrote:
My list:

8. Maule - Maule (#331)

You've put me onto some great bands in recent years Morrigan, so I was interested to check out the bands I wasn't aware of or overly familiar with on your list.

So a few quick thoughts:

Te Ruki are just not my sorta thing. Not a lot of room for BM in the collection so I'm very picky when it comes to it.
Sonja have potential but I can't stand the weak vocals.
Autonoesis are definitely on my radar now, good stuff.
Sumerlands I'm familiar with but I revisited to check out the new vocalist, far more interesting than Eternal Champion that's for sure. May grow on me.
Darkened are not bad, but I'm quite happy for Memoriam to scratch that itch.
Sadistic Ritual are pretty bloody good, the vocals are very average tho, fix that then I'm all in.
Exilium Noctis look like they're villains from a Arrow episode. Quite interesting, the Cello is a cool addition.
Maule are pretty damn good, on the watch list now.
Lastly Fer de Lance are definitely my cuppa fuckin tea, I'd never heard of them before reading your list and I can see this album joining the collection.

Cheers.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:52 am 

Aah, finally! I had to really rush out my list after so much of last year was spent not listening to music, and in the process I managed to formulate a much longer list that I will now share below. Generally, I'd say 2022 was a pretty dope year for metal; there was so much amazing stuff I've heard in this little project of mine, including a few genuine moments of 'I didn't know music could sound like this!' - so that's really neat. The fact this list as big as it is - compared to my top 25 for 2021 especially - should tell you how much stuff I found to love from this year. And believe me, an album appearing at 55th place on here really is not taking anything away from it, there isn't a particularly big gap quality-wise between 55 and 1 in my eyes. So, let's go on:

THE LIST

Text

The numbers after each album indicates their placement on MA's list. R [Nth] refers to an Nth place Rando Corner ranking whilst U means the album is unranked.

Spoiler: show
1. Wormrot - Hiss (12th)
2. Imperial Triumphant - Spirit Of Ecstasy (29th)
3. Deathspell Omega - The Long Defeat (17th)
4. Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses (8th)
5. Marc Urselli's SteppenDoom - SteppenDoom (237th)
6. Knoll - Metempiric (246th)
7. Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture (16th)
8. Misþyrming - Með hamri (21th)
9. Cloud Rat - Threshold (133rd)
10. Aeviterne - The Ailing Facade (32nd)

11. Scarcity - Aveilut (97th)
12. Hammers of Misfortune - Overtaker (59th)
13. Voivod - Synchro Anarchy (5th)
14. Cryptae - Capsule (U)
15. Blattaria - Dismantle the New Cult (U)
16. Esoctrilihum - Consecration of the Spiritüs Flesh (151st)
17. Fer De Lance - The Hyperborean (80th)
18. Vermin Womb - Retaliation (U)
19. Ares Kingdom - In Darkness at Last (18th)
20. Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion (U)
21. Negativa - 04 (R [3rd])
22. Asunojokei - Island (122nd)
23. Lykotonon - Promethean Pathology (U)
24. Wake - Thought Form Descent (47th)
25. No/Más - Consume / Deny / Repent (U)
26. Gevurah - Gehinnom (43rd)
27. Cailleach Calling - Dreams Of Fragmentation (U)
28. Pyrithe - Monuments to Impermanence (279th)
29. Véhémence - Ordalies (37th)
30. Devil Master - Ecstasies Of Never Ending Night (46th)
31. Sumerlands - Dreamkiller (4th)
32. Haunter - Discarnate Ails (63rd)
33. Sonja - Loud Arriver (25th)
34. Hexis - Aeternum (U)
35. Trhä - vat gëlénva!!! (75th)
36. Vacuous - Dreams of Dysphoria (323rd)
37. Bog Body - Cryonic Crevasse Cult (U)
38. Verberis - Adumbration of the Veiled Logos (93rd)
39. Thou & מזמור - Myopia (126th)
40. Cult of Luna - The Long Road North (40th)
41. Sigh - Shiki (7th)
42. Arizmenda - Spiders Lust In The Dungeon's Dust (R [9th])
43. Pensées Nocturnes - Douce Fange (233rd)
44. Vanum - Legend (R [8th])
45. Messa - Close (9th)
46. Immolation - Acts of God (2nd)
47. Hath - All That Was Promised (42nd)
48. Artificial Brain - Artificial Brain (34th)
49. Autonoesis - Moon of Foul Magics (10th)
50. Gaerea - Mirage (69th. Nice.)
51. Undeath - It's Time...To Rise from the Grave (81st)
52. Darkthrone - Astral Fortress (13th)
53. White Ward - False Light (6th)
54. Predatory Light - Death And The Twilight Hours (205th)
55. Negative Plane - The Pact (3rd)

Also worthy of note is that 9 of MA's top 10 (all except Blind Guardian) appears somewhere on the list, though only one (Blut Aus Nord) is shared with my top 10. Of the 55 albums on my list, 3 are relegated to the Rando Corner on MA's list, and a further 9 were not voted for at all. The highest ranked album on MA's list to appear on my own is Immolation (2nd on there, 46th on my list) whilst the lowest ranked is Vacuous (323rd on there, 36th on my list.)

Of course, that's all well and good, but as I learnt last year making a pretty collage that neatly presents your list is fun, so let's have another one of those.

Collage

Oh but that's not all, no sir. I did not spend over a week on this just to churn out a mere list - especially with an entire database of metal albums right at my fingertips! ONWARDS TO THE SPREADSHEET!

THE STATS

For each data sets, subsets containing only data for the top 10 will be provided and shown first. Graphs and charts will be provided for the main data sets. The data can be found here, and as I say all of this data was compiled from the Archives itself.

Countries & Continents

Top 10

Canada: 1
France: 2
Iceland: 1
Singapore: 1
United Kingdom: 1
United States: 4

Asia: 1
Europe: 4
North America: 5

Overall

Canada: 5
Denmark: 1
France: 5
Iceland: 1
Italy: 1
Japan: 1
Netherlands: 2
New Zealand: 1
Norway: 1
Portugal: 1
Singapore: 1
Spain: 1
Sweden: 1
Ukraine: 1
United Kingdom: 2
United States: 30

Asia: 3
Europe: 16
North America: 35
Oceania: 1

Given that so many American albums turned up on the list, I figured breaking it down by state would be useful in providing more detail here.

US States & Regions

Top 10

Michigan: 1
New York: 2
Tennessee: 1

Midwest: 1
Northeast: 2
South: 1

Overall

California: 3
Colorado: 2
Florida: 1
Illinois: 1
Louisiana: 1
Michigan: 1
Missouri: 1
New Jersey: 1
New Mexico: 2
New York: 9
Oklahoma: 1
Oregon: 1
Pennsylvania: 4
Tennessee: 1
Texas: 2
Washington: 1
Washington, D.C.: 1

Midwest: 3
Northeast: 14
South: 7
West: 9

Duration

Where D is the duration of the album, in minutes.

Top 10

30 ≤ D < 35: 3
35 ≤ D < 40: 0
40 ≤ D < 45: 3
45 ≤ D < 50: 1
50 ≤ D < 55: 2
55 ≤ D < 60: 0
60 ≤ D < 65: 0
65 ≤ D < 70: 0
70 ≤ D < 75: 0
75 ≤ D < 80: 0
80 ≤ D < 85: 1

Overall

15 ≤ D < 20: 1
20 ≤ D < 25: 1
25 ≤ D < 30: 0
30 ≤ D < 35: 8
35 ≤ D < 40: 8
40 ≤ D < 45: 8
45 ≤ D < 50: 10
50 ≤ D < 55: 7
55 ≤ D < 60: 3
60 ≤ D < 65: 3
65 ≤ D < 70: 4
70 ≤ D < 75: 1
75 ≤ D < 80: 0
80 ≤ D < 85: 1

The shortest album on the list - Vermin Womb - sits at a very concise 18m 45s, whilst the longest - SteppenDoom (with bonus tracks) - stands at a truly gargantuan 1h 20m 28s. As a side note, with relevant bonus tracks in tow there is 42h 55m of music on this list on total, or about 5 hours short of 2 days' worth of music.

Genres

Top 10

Atmospheric: 1
Black: 5
Death: 2
Doom: 1
Drone: 1
Experimental: 4
Grind: 3
Technical: 1

Overall

Atmospheric: 3
Black: 35
Death: 18
Doom: 6
Drone: 2
Epic: 2
Experimental: 11
Grind: 5
Heavy: 4
Melodic: 2
Prog: 6
Speed: 1
Sludge: 4
Technical: 2
Thrash: 2

Ambient: 2
Drone Music: 1
Goth Rock: 1
Hardcore: 1
Neoclassical: 1
Punk Rock: 1
Post-Hardcore: 1

Months

Top 10

January: 0
February: 0
March: 2
April: 0
May: 1
June: 1
July: 3
August: 0
September: 0
October: 1
November: 1
December: 1

Overall

January: 2
February: 4
March: 6
April: 8
May: 4
June: 5
July: 6
August: 4
September: 5
October: 6
November: 3
December: 2

Honestly, I've genuinely found this exercise enriching. Being able to seek out and enjoy music that's new to me, especially when it's current, is one of life's greatest joys and having multiple musical revelations as a music fan across this past week of listening. As well, being able to participate in and see the results of these polls is genuinely a highlight of the year for me, and after spending much of 2022 depressed and fairly sure I wasn't even going to get a list in on time (for the first time since joining MA) being able to get one in in such short notice and then go on to do and experience all of this was wonderful. The stats too; anyone familiar with most of BH's previous mid-year polls (or have seen my work elsewhere) know how much I love spreadsheets and numbers and getting to do that for this poll is a first for me and one I look forward to repeating in the future. Exercises like this are my way of writing a love letter to something; in this case it's a love letter to every album listed here and what 2022 had to offer as far as metal was concerned generally, so it really does fill me with joy to be able to do this.

And as always, a massive thank you to BH for doing these every year; as I say they really are something I look forward to in the year (to the point where making my list, being able to help out and being able to see the results motivates me to keep going and is sometimes all that keeps me going) and I hope my mental health is strong enough to be able to assist you with the next mid-year poll. My thanks also to all those who help maintain MA, staff and users; doing so is what makes exercises like this much easier and well, possible to begin with.

Last edited by Napalm_Satan on Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:44 am 

Looks like this is becoming a contest who can gather and present more stats from their lists. Being a stats fan myself, I don't mind.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:18 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Genres

Top 10

Atmospheric: 1
Black: 5
Death: 2
Doom: 1
Drone: 1
Experimental: 4
Grind: 3
Technical: 1

Overall

Atmospheric: 3
Black: 35
Death: 18
Doom: 6
Drone: 2
Epic: 2
Experimental: 11
Grind: 5
Heavy: 4
Melodic: 2
Prog: 6
Speed: 1
Sludge: 4
Technical: 2
Thrash: 2

Ambient: 2
Drone Music: 1
Goth Rock: 1
Hardcore: 1
Neoclassical: 1
Punk Rock: 1
Post-Hardcore: 1

Staggering work man, thanks for all the time & effort that went into itemizing all this. Where does Sumerlands fit in, genre-wise, to the top ten? Aren't they just normal traditional metal?

...Apropos of that, I have no idea what anyone saw in Dreamkiller. Phoned-in drumwork that barely changes throughout entire songs, so much post-production nonsense that makes the vocalist sound like he's in a storm culvert... It sounds really, really clockwork and manufactured to me, like any other NWOTHM Johnny-come-lately could've written it. Electric Elite had similar issues but at least it was fun and took some refuge in audacity.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:29 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
a shitload of delicious stats

This is amazing, thanks for compiling!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:30 am 

Tanuki wrote:
...Apropos of that, I have no idea what anyone saw in Dreamkiller. Phoned-in drumwork that barely changes throughout entire songs, so much post-production nonsense that makes the vocalist sound like he's in a storm culvert... It sounds really, really clockwork and manufactured to me, like any other NWOTHM Johnny-come-lately could've written it. Electric Elite had similar issues but at least it was fun and took some refuge in audacity.

Yeah, both are competent enough I guess but I don't see why our standards have to just stop at the bare minimum like this kind of stuff. There's just not really many ideas in either one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next