Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:00 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Got into this Bonjour Tristesse album today, the archives has the band labelled as post-black metal but I don't really hear it, they're much closer to standard atmospheric black metal for me.

Just heard this one too, and agree this album really isn't post- at all, though I'm not familiar with their past work. Really loving this album though.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:11 am 

Redemption - I am the Storm

This one just won me over, excellent.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:02 pm 

Prairieshadow wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:
Got into this Bonjour Tristesse album today, the archives has the band labelled as post-black metal but I don't really hear it, they're much closer to standard atmospheric black metal for me.

Just heard this one too, and agree this album really isn't post- at all, though I'm not familiar with their past work. Really loving this album though.

I am addicted to this record. The title track is wild.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:42 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Prairieshadow wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:

I am addicted to this record. The title track is wild.

From the two I've heard, I much prefer their second record, the vocals much more post.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:14 am 

New Ὁπλίτης (Hoplites). Pretty soon after the first one. More chaotic disso black, pretty well executed.

https://hoplites.bandcamp.com/album/--3

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:53 pm 

New VoidCeremony isn't technically out until Friday but 20 Buck Spin already put the full album stream up. Needless to say it totally slays. Proggy, jazzy blackened death metal in the StarGazer mold done exceedingly well.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:14 am 

hallowed78 wrote:
New Ὁπλίτης (Hoplites). Pretty soon after the first one. More chaotic disso black, pretty well executed.

https://hoplites.bandcamp.com/album/--3

I'm not a fan of bands releasing content too quickly like this, but this album is actually really good. Like you said, well executed.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:25 am 

I'm really enjoying the new Smoulder album on first listen. They seem to have expanded their sounds and probably showcases more of their influences. There's a bit of everything from epic heavy metal to doom to USPM.
https://smoulder.bandcamp.com/album/vio ... -vengeance

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:34 pm 

Happy thrash day for fans of Metallica, Overkill and Holy Moses.
Also can't wait to wrap my ears around that new Smoulder, I wouldn't mind busy days if they were all like this :hyper:

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:36 pm 

Well, as expected DHG’s Black Medium Current is incredible. Top 10 or AOTY easily.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:54 pm 

The new Welkin album is out, black metal with a Chinese history theme. It's still pretty amazing to think that the guy behind the project is only 19 (and released the first album when he was 16).

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:13 pm 

This band that shares members with Thron plays black metal in the Watain mold. Of all of the bands that try to sound like them I think they're one of the best I've come across. They even managed to get Liv Kristine to do some guest vocals on one of the tracks (Dead Death Dreams).

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:39 pm 

Edoma - Buried by Permafrost

This album is phenomenal and is my new frontrunner for AOTY. I really enjoyed Edoma's full length debut but I did think there was some room for improvement. Their sophomore album knocks it out of the park and into the stratosphere. Every song has awesome melodies that build up to something different. Then the melodies are often brought back to the original melody to remind you of the journey you just took. Almost a narrative style of song writing - tell the listener what they're going to tell them, tell them, tell the listener what you told them. Edoma has also managed to increase the aggression they play with while still displaying a level of expertise and reservation you don't often see in newer bands. Every single second of the album feels inspired and intentional, not a nanosecond of filler. I can't recommend this album enough.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:39 pm 

This came out a while ago, but the new Downcross continues this highly productive band's winning streak. In some ways it's a return to what they were doing before last year's 'Hexapoda triumph', ie less caustic and more melodic while keeping the black metal agression, with new touches adding a bit of weirdness and originality (especially the outro).

https://downcross.bandcamp.com/album/invertebrata

Currently checking out that new Edoma. I picked up the debut on a whim when it came out and give it regular spins, I like what I'm hearing of the new one so far.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:28 pm 

The new Blodtar album is out today, they're one of the best black/folk metal bands around at the moment and this debut record is more evidence of that. Some of the catchiest, most memorable folk influenced black metal I've heard in a long while.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:46 am 

Haha I just posted the new Blodtår too but deleted it after seeing that Kalaratri had beaten me to it. Once again we are in total agreement :)

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:28 am 

Gonna throw in another vote for the new VoidCeremony album. The Atheist and StarGazer influences are strong here, with maybe even a pinch of The Chasm.

This and the new Ulthar are definitely the best death metal albums of 2023 so far.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:06 am 

Three strong heavy metal / heavy rock releases from this Friday.

Tanith's Voyage. Russ's vocals are shining through and there are moments where I feel he's channeling his inner Dio. Great melodies and songwriting. Absolutely love Tanith!
https://tanithnyc.bandcamp.com/album/voyage

Blood Star's First Sighting. I watched their livestream at KIT two days ago and the new songs sounded fantastic live.
https://bloodstarslc.bandcamp.com/album/first-sighting

Century's The Conquest of Time. I'm only a couple of songs in and this is enjoyable. It's the band's much anticipated debut after a string of demo/singles.
https://centuryswe.bandcamp.com/album/t ... st-of-time

MeavyHetal wrote:
Gonna throw in another vote for the new VoidCeremony album. The Atheist and StarGazer influences are strong here, with maybe even a pinch of The Chasm.

Maybe you already know this but just stating in case you didn't, that the StarGazer bassist is actually part of this band. Really enjoying this album and probably death metal album of the year so far.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:30 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Three strong heavy metal / heavy rock releases from this Friday.

Tanith's Voyage. Russ's vocals are shining through and there are moments where I feel he's channeling his inner Dio. Great melodies and songwriting. Absolutely love Tanith!
https://tanithnyc.bandcamp.com/album/voyage

Blood Star's First Sighting. I watched their livestream at KIT two days ago and the new songs sounded fantastic live.
https://bloodstarslc.bandcamp.com/album/first-sighting

Century's The Conquest of Time. I'm only a couple of songs in and this is enjoyable. It's the band's much anticipated debut after a string of demo/singles.
https://centuryswe.bandcamp.com/album/t ... st-of-time

MeavyHetal wrote:

Maybe you already know this but just stating in case you didn't, that the StarGazer bassist is actually part of this band. Really enjoying this album and probably death metal album of the year so far.

Yeah, Damon has a one of a kind playing style and you know it’s him when you hear it. Don’t think there’s a project he’s involved with that hasn’t been good.

Speaking of which, I need to check out the new Mournful Congregation EP once it comes out.

x0r444
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:55 am 

Dodheimsgard - Black Medium Current

https://peaceville.bandcamp.com/album/b ... um-current

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:34 am 

https://neurotech.bandcamp.com/album/ave-neptune
New Neurotech is actually really good. Keyboard-heavy industrial metal that has a lot of influences strewn about.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Blodtar album is out today, they're one of the best black/folk metal bands around at the moment and this debut record is more evidence of that. Some of the catchiest, most memorable folk influenced black metal I've heard in a long while.

Great stuff, similar to their countrymen Wormwood. I strongly recommend to check them out, if you haven't heard them. On surface they sound almost the same, although Wormwood's first album was a little bit folkier than this, while the next two went a bit more into a proggy and contemplative direction.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:51 am 

All Hell - All Hail the Night
https://allhell.bandcamp.com/album/all-hail-the-night

Shame on me for having ignored this band throughout the 10 years of their existence. I deserve to be severely punished for it.

Alas, i come here for penitence and hope that adding this nice piece of old school Black/Trash/Punk in the thread will allow me to atone for my sins.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:24 pm 

Speaking of killer black/thrash, the new Lucifuge kicks all kinds of arse as totally expected. A very worthy follow-up to 'Infernal power' and the latest addition to a string of great records in that style released this year following Hellripper (my AOTY so far and a very hard one to beat), Hellcrash, Avern and Evilcult.

https://lucifuge666.bandcamp.com/album/ ... s-of-wrath

EDIT: Holy shit I forgot the new Enforced is out today! Well here's another one that's totally kicking my arse all over the place!

BeigeToupee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:33 pm 

Danava - Nothing but Nothing came out today. Straddles the same psych/proto-metal feeling but man this album just rocks. Some high energy riffage and soloing, but with a Hawkwind and 70s Styx vibe going on.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:12 pm 

Been working through this new Runemagick and it has sunk its hooks. Magnificent textural death metal. Will keep coming back to it for sure.

It's called Beyond the Cenotaph of Mankind btw.

https://runemagick.bandcamp.com/album/b ... -mankind-2

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 pm 

April went ok for me, here's the stand outs I got around to:

Ὁπλίτης (Hoplites) - Τ​ρ​ω​θ​η​σ​ο​μ​έ​ν​η: Hoplites 2 wipes the floor with the (pretty darn good) first one imo. Much like Theophonos this one is a lot mathier but unlike the SC continuation Hoplites don't sacrifice any of the aggression to pull it off. This thing just goes nuts for half an hour straight and it has a really playful, fun energy to it. Some of the parts in the middle are just so over the top there's no way the dude wasn't cackling to himself as he wrote it. I don't like that it ends on a random thrash song, but otherwise, ripper, AOTY so far for me.

Heáfodbán - Heáfodbán: A better execution of going full length for these guys than expected, it's still that sort of "take catchy folk and dance punk infused tunes and bury them under a raw BM sound" idea, but they've ramped the raw BM up to war metal intensity and keep the silly shit a bit more reigned in so it doesn't sound like such a joke, just quirky. With the album being much longer than the last EP, closing with an 8 minute raw BM'd folk tune feels a lot more earned too.

Devangelic - Xul: If Eximperitus is Nile at home, is this Eximperitus at home? That's a bit harsh because it's Nile worship at around that level.

Smallpox Aroma - Festering Embryos of Logical Corruption
Mildly gore-d up death grind which is very songy and versatile. Certainly isn't soft but is maybe a half-step too mellowed out for me, like it's heavier and nastier than the last Wormrot but not as intense Dirge ya know. Still, quality stuff and Smallpox Aroma is a 73/10 band name.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:44 am 

Yeah, that Devangelic album was a good one, and if not for Vile Nilotic Rites from a few years back, it'd definitely be the best Nile album in quite some time. Same kind of situation with that Lamp of Muumuur joint where, if Abbath and Demonaz had not released some quality work following the split, it'd certainly be the best Immortal album in nearly 20 years.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:33 pm 

I never thought I'd enjoy a band labelled as 'melodic death/doom' but Spotify just recommended this, I clicked on it out of curiosity and I'm really liking it. The term 'melodic death metal' generally just turns me off (and I find it a total oxymoron), but in this case I think the doom elements keep it heavier than it would be otherwise and there are some great riffs and atmosphere here, and the unobtrusive keyboards add a nice touch.
My surprise discovery of the month.

Fires in the distance 'Air not meant for us':

https://firesinthedistance.com/album/ai ... ant-for-us

Illyria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:36 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
I never thought I'd enjoy a band labelled as 'melodic death/doom' but Spotify just recommended this, I clicked on it out of curiosity and I'm really liking it. The term 'melodic death metal' generally just turns me off (and I find it a total oxymoron), but in this case I think the doom elements keep it heavier than it would be otherwise and there are some great riffs and atmosphere here, and the unobtrusive keyboards add a nice touch.

Was just about to post this one. Really solid stuff.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:13 am 

Lagartija wrote:

"melodic death doom" has a hell of a lot more in common with My Dying Bride-type gothic doom than it does melodic death metal. If you see that label think of it as doom metal subgenre rather than a melodic death metal one.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:03 pm 

I've never actually properly listened to the original Peaceville doom bands, might be the right time to check them out...

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:23 pm 

New Krallice album, really liking the direction they've taken lately

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:37 am 

'New' Horn. It's actually a compilation, but like everything this guy has done and does, it's a thing of true beauty and majesty. I don't know if he has a live line-up, but man I'd fucking love to watch this live.

https://hornlichterlischt.bandcamp.com/album/20

Neptune777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:13 pm 

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:39 am 

New Nightmarer is great. Such a big improvement over the first one. Technical/dissonant death metal + Meshuggah vibes.

https://nightmarer.bandcamp.com/album/deformity-adrift

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:57 am 

Yeah that Nightmarer album is quite good. Needs more listens but I'm impressed already.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:18 pm 

Here's some more quality Black metal...
Spoiler: show

Last edited by Hellbeast11 on Tue May 09, 2023 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:58 pm 

New Ascended Dead arrived early and it absolutely crushes, one of my favorites from this year so far.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:59 pm 

Neptune777 wrote:
Hedenskfrid's Is​ä​nmaan kasvot

I had low expectations but this is really well-composed. All the elements are nicely balanced. Oddly I hear some 1914, perhaps in the vocals, progressions and level of melancholy, but the style is clearly atmospheric black.

Bandcamp: https://hedenskfrid.bandcamp.com/album/is-nmaan-kasvot

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next