Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:33 pm 

Ghost's presentation is gimmicky as shit, but their music isn't particularly gimmicky, and that's what ensures their longevity.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:28 pm 

It's mainstream rock n' roll. I honestly think Ghost remind me more of the later Blue Oyster Cult stuff, musically, than anything else. That's all good stuff but they seem to have ditched their "metal" audience for a more radio rock n' roll audience, which is fine; they are still a pretty good band for what they are.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:52 pm 

77hjrttfred wrote:
Regarding the gimmick band thing, do you think the same is going to happen to Ghost? I am wondering if their popularity will drop off in the next few years.

Ghost is bigger than ever. They recently swept up a bunch of new "fans" because one of their songs got big on Tiktok. They just don't really play metal anymore and have lost their occult and Satanic imagery.
Empyreal wrote:
Dragonforce ever since ZP left has been much less talked about. They toned down their excesses and now nobody really gives a shit anymore except die-hard PM fans.

Dragonforce has not changed their style since they formed. They only have one song and that's Through the Fire and Flames. Literally every song they have ever made sounds the same. After the hype around them as a result of Guitar Hero died down, there really wasn't a reason for people to continue listening to them because they never evolved, never changed tempos, never changed styles in a significant way. They're still known, oh yes, but I don't think a lot of people really know any of their songs or give a shit about any of their songs outside of Through the Fire and Flames.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:34 am 

Borrowed Time. One knowledgeable mod who I haven't seen in possibly a few years by now made the prediction that in a few years time we would be whispering their name in the same hushed reveries as Cirith Ungol among other great bands. While they were a decent band, they broke up years ago, and they've almost entirely been forgotten to history. We're still talking about Cirith Ungol. One of these is not like the other.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:36 am 

Pizzasmasher wrote:

Tankard and Anthrax - surely both are still popular, but there was a time nearly no one would have mentioned them as "inferior" to the other big fours (the german, the american). No thats permanently stated.

Has Anthrax's popularity really fallen though?

Obviously there is a the trend/meme culture that surrounds them (shouldn't be in the big 4 etc etc) bit i don't see that as a genuine reflection of their popularity...

If anything, their last album has given them a boost.

~Guest 1413143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:02 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Pizzasmasher wrote:

Tankard and Anthrax - surely both are still popular, but there was a time nearly no one would have mentioned them as "inferior" to the other big fours (the german, the american). No thats permanently stated.

Obviously there is a the trend/meme culture that surrounds them (shouldn't be in the big 4 etc etc) bit i don't see that as a genuine reflection of their popularity...

I get your critic - yes, i was refering to that meme culture; meanwhile its simply predictable that a couple of people will bash them as fast as they get mentioned. I can remember times in which that wasnt the case.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:01 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Dragonforce ever since ZP left has been much less talked about. They toned down their excesses and now nobody really gives a shit anymore except die-hard PM fans.

Dragonforce has not changed their style since they formed. They only have one song and that's Through the Fire and Flames. Literally every song they have ever made sounds the same. After the hype around them as a result of Guitar Hero died down, there really wasn't a reason for people to continue listening to them because they never evolved, never changed tempos, never changed styles in a significant way. They're still known, oh yes, but I don't think a lot of people really know any of their songs or give a shit about any of their songs outside of Through the Fire and Flames.

On one hand, yeah, that's basically my issue with the follow-up, Ultra Beatdown. It basically felt like Sonic Firestorm/Inhuman Rampage B-sides. BUT, on the other hand, a change in singers did cause a change in sound... a stripped down version of it, however. It was fine - even good at times - with the first one, Power Within. The two follow-ups to that, though, not so much. Maximum Overload was okay. Reaching into Infinity was shit on a shovel. The latter was some weird fucking attempt at appeasing both sides but appealing to nobody. Which sucks to say, because Extreme Power Metal did hit that middle ground quite well for the most part and holds up as a pretty damn good album all things considered, but all the good will ran out because people stopped caring somewhere between Ultra Beatdown and Maximum Overload.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:03 am 

The replies telling me DF has never changed and always sounded the same are really not seeing what I was saying - which wasn't even really some kind of hard stance or big point at all...

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:25 pm 

All of those decaffeinated death/doom bands with orchestras and sopranos that, somehow, people took to call 'gothic metal': Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Haggard, Therion, The Gathering and the list goes on.

Also, goth metal itself as well, with many of the main bands split up (Type O, Sentenced, etc.) or not releasing anything in ages (Tiamat), or doing their thing but losing a lot of popularity (Moonspell, similar case to Samael earlier in this thread).

Only Tribulation and Unto Others are the only new goth metal bands with some sort of hype around them, and Tribulation is in danger of falling off as well because of the repetitiveness of their formula.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:32 pm 

lol, I love those supposedly "decaffeinated" bands, they had a cool atmosphere. Well, except for the weird electronic phase Theatre of Tragedy went through (first 3 albums + last 2 are great though). Other than that though they're pretty neat. Also, they were called gothic metal because of the gothic rock and post-punk influence that was very clearly in their music (in the cases of TOT, Tristania, some of Therion's work and The Gathering at least - The Sins of Thy Beloved didn't have as much gothic rock/post-punk influence in their stuff and Haggard don't have any at all from what I remember). But yeah, it ain't as big as it used to be. Draconian seem to get a pretty good amount of attention, though they aren't quite as gothically inclined.

~Guest 1413143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:43 pm 

greywanderer7 wrote:
All of those decaffeinated death/doom bands with orchestras and sopranos that, somehow, people took to call 'gothic metal': Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Haggard, Therion, The Gathering and the list goes on.

Also, goth metal itself as well, with many of the main bands split up (Type O, Sentenced, etc.) or not releasing anything in ages (Tiamat), or doing their thing but losing a lot of popularity (Moonspell, similar case to Samael earlier in this thread).

Only Tribulation and Unto Others are the only new goth metal bands with some sort of hype around them, and Tribulation is in danger of falling off as well because of the repetitiveness of their formula.

True! Thinking of lake of tears. The "harder" variation of the genre is more or less inexistent; shall say, stuff that sounds like sentenced amok era, samael on passage, tiamat with clouds or so. Its a pitty. The last tribulation was their first work that didnt touch me anymore; it felt like more-of-the-same. I`ll give it a tr out again, but... and Undo others: well i should have listened more before i bought it - so that i dont buy it. I think its a "lost" genre, if it even is one; most of its best albums have been transition albums - like the lepaca stuff from therion etc. Slaegt maybe offers partly what was appealing about this sound, but i have the impression that, sadly, no one cares about their new album (which is a fanastic album btw).

~Guest 1413143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:52 pm 

There are as well no more bands that play that typical depressive age, anacrusis, fear of god sound. If Thrash is progressive, it honestly always sound the same, which means, its more or less Vektor n Death. The melancholic variation is dead - so i guess that is as well "unpopular" since no one wants to play it anymore; same whatever you want to call what warrior soul once did on salutation for the ghetto nation etc. The band itself was once at least a typical favorite of music journalists (and lars ulrich :D ) but nowadays? I would wonder if they sell more then 5 albums world wide.

Clawfinger! What a hype that band was. And Skid row surely doesnt play anymore in the same venues like with slave to the grind.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:05 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
Pizzasmasher wrote:

Anthrax's popularity certainly dropped big time in the 90s. I think they've managed to claw their way back, maybe not to where they were in the late 80s/start of the 90s, but to a much better place than where they were through much of the Bush-era.

draconiondevil wrote:
Ghost have lost all their credibility with the "true" metal crowd. They're incredibly popular among mainstream metalheads but most people you'll find online don't like them anymore. I remember a time when they were the next big thing and everyone though they were cool. They even played MDF in 2011!

When did everyone think Ghost was cool? They always had a ton of detractors. I remember lots of controversy when the first album came out about how overrated they were, how they either A) sounded too much like Mercyful Fate or B) didn't sound enough like Mercyful Fate even though people were saying they sounded like Mercyful Fate. One of my favorite takes was that they were going to ruin Mercyful Fate for people who hadn't heard Mercyful Fate but might hear Ghost, decide they suck, and then decide to never check out Mercyful Fate.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:22 pm 

Pizzasmasher wrote:
Kvelertak - was once "the new big thing"; is anybody even listening to them anymore?

Kvelertak's success was pretty much limited to their debut, and that was because they were doing something very unique at the time in the way they mixed their hardcore punk and black metal elements in a very intense and aggressive, but also very well-composed kind of punk. They have never really followed-up convincingly on their debut, and I guess that's why their popularity kind of went downhill since.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:10 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
When did everyone think Ghost was cool? They always had a ton of detractors. I remember lots of controversy when the first album came out about how overrated they were, how they either A) sounded too much like Mercyful Fate or B) didn't sound enough like Mercyful Fate even though people were saying they sounded like Mercyful Fate. One of my favorite takes was that they were going to ruin Mercyful Fate for people who hadn't heard Mercyful Fate but might hear Ghost, decide they suck, and then decide to never check out Mercyful Fate.

I do distinctly remember some people writing them off as "hipster metal" almost immediately - the reaction to them at that time reminded me of people's reactions to The Sword in that sense. Oh hey, speaking of bands that fell off...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:58 pm 

I was seemingly one of the few who actually LIKED The Sword, but yeah, they did kind of fall off the map. The last couple records were just kind of below average. I don't think they are even still together anymore, didn't they break up?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I was seemingly one of the few who actually LIKED The Sword, but yeah, they did kind of fall off the map. The last couple records were just kind of below average. I don't think they are even still together anymore, didn't they break up?

Yep, they’ve split. I liked them, too.

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:35 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Borrowed Time. One knowledgeable mod who I haven't seen in possibly a few years by now made the prediction that in a few years time we would be whispering their name in the same hushed reveries as Cirith Ungol among other great bands. While they were a decent band, they broke up years ago, and they've almost entirely been forgotten to history. We're still talking about Cirith Ungol. One of these is not like the other.

Their debut was one of he best albums of the '10s and continues to get better with every single listen. They'll get their due respect and fandom one day...

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:39 am 

It seems as though Fear Factory should be mentioned? From the brilliant debut of "Soul...", to the mainstream appeal of "Demanufacture", this band was the darling of Roadrunner in the mid to late 90's, sure to bring in massive amounts of $. In-fighting, worn out ideas, and Burton's increasingly shitty vocals made them fairly obsolete by the early 2000's

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:23 am 

Ivan Drago wrote:
nephilim80 wrote:
Rhapsody.

After Power of the Dragonflame (flawless discography until this album), they still had the Symphony of Enchanted Lands II which was ok, but after that they went downhill.

I think From Chaos to Eternity easily stands up with the original saga albums, but certainly in terms of popularity they seemed to dive after Dragonflame. But then wasn't there some dispute between them and Magic Circle/Joey Demaio that effectively stopped them releasing anything or touring for years?

Yes, shortly after the release of Triumph or Agony there was a dispute and they wouldn’t do anything until 2010, when they signed with Nuclear Blast. I think the split between Turilli and Staropoli had a bigger impact. I followed Rhapsody of Fire dilligently but found them lackluster ever since Turilli left, and even more so when Lione followed.

Turilli released two albums under Lura Turilli’s Rhapsody and reunited with almost the entire band (bar Staropoli) in Rhapsody Reunion which would become the one of album band Turilli/Lione Rhapsody. I found that more interesting than RoF, but they have said on Instagram their current tour is their last (but it’s not really clear), and their activity in general is much less than RoF’s.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:46 am 

Lots of interesting choices above. I think I would add Kataklysm to the mix. Most of their albums since 2010 have pretty mixed reviews, you could even say even before that as well. In fact, on this site they have albums rated in the 40% range (Meditations) and other is the 50-60% range (Heaven's Venom). They seem to added some coreish elements to their music. The last album even had some odd djent elements to the sound as well.

Their albums seem to come and go with not much fanfare or even discussion nowadays. I think it was the case that the best albums were made much earlier in their career. I'm not sure how popular they are as a live act in recent years?

Kyuashu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:24 pm 

77hjrttfred wrote:
Lots of interesting choices above. I think I would add Kataklysm to the mix. Most of their albums since 2010 have pretty mixed reviews, you could even say even before that as well. In fact, on this site they have albums rated in the 40% range (Meditations) and other is the 50-60% range (Heaven's Venom). They seem to added some coreish elements to their music. The last album even had some odd djent elements to the sound as well.

Their albums seem to come and go with not much fanfare or even discussion nowadays. I think it was the case that the best albums were made much earlier in their career. I'm not sure how popular they are as a live act in recent years?

They're touring with Soilwork this year - another band I don't see anyone talk about even though they're ostensibly quite big.

TadGhostal wrote:
Space_alligator wrote:
Pizzasmasher wrote:

Anthrax's popularity certainly dropped big time in the 90s. I think they've managed to claw their way back, maybe not to where they were in the late 80s/start of the 90s, but to a much better place than where they were through much of the Bush-era.

Most of the people I know who have any sort of interest in metal are fond of old-school thrash and heavy metal and maybe power metal, and I've never heard any one of them talk about Anthrax. Even Testament are more popular amongst the people I know in real life.

And while they're still pretty huge, I think Sabaton's brief time in the global spotlight is over. There was a brief period where they'd get brought up by geeky 14 year-olds all the time, especially on sites like Reddit which is basically where half their fanbase spent their lives on. The same friends I already mentioned were all sort of into them and even people who don't like metal at all would mention them occasionally. I feel like they're on the cusp of becoming one of those bands who attract large crowds but whose new music goes virtually unnoticed by everyone other than diehard fans. Pretty sure this process has already started, since their newer tracks haven't done nearly as well as the ones they released a few years back in terms of streaming numbers.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:36 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:

I do distinctly remember some people writing them off as "hipster metal" almost immediately - the reaction to them at that time reminded me of people's reactions to The Sword in that sense. Oh hey, speaking of bands that fell off...

Ah yes, The Sword! I remember the conspiracy theory that they were part some insidious plot by "hipsters" to invade metal. Good times.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:29 pm 

Ghost ain't going nowhere, as far as falling off a cliff. Like them or not, Tobias knows how to write memorable songs that stick and is very prolific at it. They had their anonymous gimmick and dark lyrics to get started, create chatter, whatever but they are in the mainstream now.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:02 pm 

I really wanna say Bolzer because they were the celebrated upcomers in like 2015 but i dont see many people talking about them these days, however they do have a very passionate fanbase. Im not sure

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:25 pm 

LilTito wrote:
I really wanna say Bolzer because they were the celebrated upcomers in like 2015 but i dont see many people talking about them these days, however they do have a very passionate fanbase. Im not sure

Yeah, Bolzer definitely had fifteen minutes of fame. They were hyped beyond belief and could never really live up to or sustain it, and I feel like they're probably happier now that they've largely reverted to where they were before.

~Guest 410021
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:17 pm 

Shadows Fall. Whether or not you like them/metalcore, you couldn't really escape them in like 2004. Jon Donais was in EVERY guitar magazine, and people were saying he was one of the best shredders that ever lived. The band was playing the mainstage at Ozzfest. They were in Guitar Hero (or Rock Band....I forget). They were big on the level that Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage were. And then it was like the bubble just popped. By 2007, no one cared anymore. They continued to released albums, but you never heard about or saw anything about them.

~Guest 410021
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:22 pm 

Demon Fang wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

On one hand, yeah, that's basically my issue with the follow-up, Ultra Beatdown. It basically felt like Sonic Firestorm/Inhuman Rampage B-sides. BUT, on the other hand, a change in singers did cause a change in sound... a stripped down version of it, however. It was fine - even good at times - with the first one, Power Within. The two follow-ups to that, though, not so much. Maximum Overload was okay. Reaching into Infinity was shit on a shovel. The latter was some weird fucking attempt at appeasing both sides but appealing to nobody. Which sucks to say, because Extreme Power Metal did hit that middle ground quite well for the most part and holds up as a pretty damn good album all things considered, but all the good will ran out because people stopped caring somewhere between Ultra Beatdown and Maximum Overload.

The band also cares less. Herman Li is more of a youtube/Twitch guitar streamer now and claims he makes more doing that than playing with Dragonforce. They probably just do it because they like playing shows, but I doubt they are digging deep creatively.

sevenwinter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 pm 

Orchid,Holy Grail and Cauldron are some bands that seems to become more an more uncelebrated.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:25 am 

sevenwinter wrote:
Orchid,Holy Grail and Cauldron are some bands that seems to become more an more uncelebrated.

Thank fucking God for that. Capricorn was a cool album. But Mouths of Madness is such tasteless incessant Sabbath plagiarism. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind and even can celebrate Sabbath worship, but this album went beyond worship and into full blown plagiarism. And there were only two tracks that I didn't notice that in.

But their dwindled popularity probably has a lot more to do with the fact that Mouths of Madness, from back in 2013, is the last album they released. Easy to forget them some 10 years later.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:32 am 

The only good Orchid are from Massachusetts.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:14 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:

Ah yes, The Sword! I remember the conspiracy theory that they were part some insidious plot by "hipsters" to invade metal. Good times.

Was on the Hellride forums when that all went on. TBH while a lot of it was overblown I did understand the irritation of some of the doom underground that a major label backed band formed by former indie rock musicians was cashing in on the scene. But then again, I also thought they might be a useful gateway band for people to get more into stoner rock/doom etc.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:52 pm 

welldweller wrote:
Demon Fang wrote:

The band also cares less. Herman Li is more of a youtube/Twitch guitar streamer now and claims he makes more doing that than playing with Dragonforce. They probably just do it because they like playing shows, but I doubt they are digging deep creatively.

Suppose, that's just the way things are sometimes. I'm pretty sure the Archspire guys are in about the same boat, focusing more on streaming their guitar playing.

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
sevenwinter wrote:

Thank fucking God for that. Capricorn was a cool album. But Mouths of Madness is such tasteless incessant Sabbath plagiarism. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind and even can celebrate Sabbath worship, but this album went beyond worship and into full blown plagiarism. And there were only two tracks that I didn't notice that in.

lol they did it backwards! Even in Capricorn, it sounded like they really liked Black Sabbath, but there was enough room to say that they could've flourished into their own with a follow-up... so for it to go that far into Sabbath worship is a shame.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:28 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
Space_alligator wrote:
Pizzasmasher wrote:

Has Anthrax's popularity really fallen though? Obviously there is a the trend/meme culture that surrounds them (shouldn't be in the big 4 etc etc) bit i don't see that as a genuine reflection of their popularity...If anything, their last album has given them a boost.

Anthrax really fell flat, popularitywise second half nineties. With Joey back they've turned into mostly a nostalgia band although on For All Kings I do admit they did manage to reinvent themselves a tiny bit. Their current tour with BLS is selling out some venues so I could not say they 'fell off the cliff'. However people are getting more and more fed up with them being lazy bastards when it comes to songwriting and especially their setlist, which hardly ever changes anymore. And of course Scott and Charlie being more busy being 'in the picture' than creating new music.

Tankard... they were actually never really that big, were they haha.
I've seen them so many times the past decades and in 1990 they were playing the same kind of venues they play now.
However I do feel their peak, creatively speaking, was over once the Katzmann/Boulgaropoulos tandem was gone. Their albums since have been 'entertaining' at best

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:02 am 

LilTito wrote:

Came here to say Bölzer as well. I had straight up forgotten they existed until an acquaintance brought them up recently.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:16 am 

Dragonforce - Someone said this before somewhere, but it makes sense to me. Their popularity got artificially inflated by guitar hero, and they've fallen back down to about where they should be for their style of power metal. FWIW I liked ZP Theart's vocals a lot, and while I can't put my finger on what I don't like about the new guy, I'm just bored of his voice after 2/3 songs, I can listen to any ZP albums all the way through, but anything post him I've probably listened to twice all the way through at best, and occasionally I put on one of the better songs on it's own.

Bolzer - yeah this is a good one, I honestly thought around the time of Aura they could've become as popular or influential as DSO for the 2010s. But Soma did nothing for me, their album was ok but a very strange choice with the change in sound, and I have to say I haven't heard anything they've done since then. To be honest this thread is the first time I've seen the name mentioned anywhere in a long while outside of most of the way down on a festival lineup.

Leaves' Eyes - someone must be listening to them since Liv got the boot for them to have released multiple albums since, but it's not me or anyone I know who listened to them with Liv, so I've gotta say their popularity must have fallen, not like they were huge to begin with mind.

Conan - admittedly I'm pretty out of touch with the stoner doom scene nowadays, but I don't see talk about them as much as when their first few albums were coming out.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:39 am 

Without ZP DF doesn't do it for me.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:41 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:

Conan - admittedly I'm pretty out of touch with the stoner doom scene nowadays, but I don't see talk about them as much as when their first few albums were coming out.

I think Conan is doing pretty decently. I'm not paying much attention either, but I do follow them on FB and they seem to be playing shows regularly and releasing new merch all the fucking time so I guess someone must be buying it. I don't think they'll be getting bigger from here though, but it feels like they've found a sort of niche that they fit well into.

MoonlitKnight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:52 am 

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats were kind of a big deal in stoner/doom circles, even getting coverage from non-metal outlets like NME and Pitchfork in the early 2010s. Since them it seems their albums have failed to make a splash.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:11 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Without ZP DF doesn't do it for me.

Poor you! EPM was their best album since SF and ZP has absolutely nothing to do with it.
They did not fall off any cliff. Not at all

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next