Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:50 pm 

German progressive sludge/post-metallers The Ocean will release their eleventh full length studio album, Holocene, on May 19 through Pelagic Records. From the press release:

Quote:
"Despite a heavy year of touring, we found the time to complete our new album and after a long odyssey of getting it mixed & mastered (which we will tell you all about when the time comes), we couldn't be more happy with it. Holocene adds a closing chapter to our palaeontology-inspired album series, and presents a gear shift towards electronic realms while exploring new depths of heaviness at the same time.

"Phanerozoic II ended with a track titled 'Holocene,' and that was pointing in the direction of things to come, both conceptually and musically. The track Holocene ends abruptly and yet connects seamlessly with the beginning of the new album, the synths of opener 'Preboreal,' which we released as the first single off the album 2 weeks ago. This is only the very beginning of a journey which once more will end in a very different place than where it began…

"Holocene is an appendix to the 2 Phanerozoic albums and Precambrian, or the final and concluding chapter, making it a quadrilogy if you want so. It's tackling the Holocene epoch, which is the current and shortest chapter in earth's history, but it is essentially an album about the angst, alienation, loss of reason and critical thinking, rise of conspiracy theories and deconstruction of values in the modern age.

"While creeping deeper into our own musical DNA, we have made an album that came out more intimate and captivating than previous ones. An album with which we challenged our writing routine, an album that we didn't foresee coming, but one that we are immensely proud of. We can't wait to share it with you."

Preboreal has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

I didn't think they'd be back with a new album quite so soon but I'm here for it. The subject matter they're tackling this time around definitely sounds interesting, and the changes in songwriting and addition of more electronic elements should freshen things up a bit as well.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:32 pm 

That song was just a smidge too bland. I liked bits off their last album though and they are good live.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 am 

Really looking forward to this, them being my favourite newer band, although I've been listening to them since 2007 and Precambrian which was almost 20 years ago so newer may not be the right word. Anyway, I am quite curious with what they come up this time.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:48 am 

Definitely interested. They opened for Katatonia when I saw them in the fall. Great live band for sure.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:50 am 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:46 am 

Spoiler: show

Second single, Parabiosis. Great build-up, seems another winner from The Ocean.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:38 pm 

The third single is out now:

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:53 am 

Very excited for it. The Ocean Collective have become a personal favourite for me, unique band with a plethora of top notch albums.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:05 am 

I hope that the rest of the album has some heavier songs. The first three have been pretty mellow, but damn, I loved the first single "Preboreal".

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:21 am 

I seem to only like this band when they have Swedish guest vocalists like Johan from Katatonia or Tomas from Breach/The Old Wind/Norna. They just seem like the most baseline cookie-cutter post metal imaginable. Baby's first Cult of Luna.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:32 pm 

nakzox wrote:
I hope that the rest of the album has some heavier songs. The first three have been pretty mellow, but damn, I loved the first single "Preboreal".

I'm sure there will be heavier stuff on the record too, I doubt they've gone completely mellow this time.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:58 am 

New single "Subatlantic" is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9OCYcX ... cean-Topic

It's probably my second favorite of the singles released so far, but I'm still not expecting a great album overall.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:34 am 

I wasn't really digging this album through the first four tracks, but then the second half really takes off. Pretty good album all around, but not close to their best.

zingote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:17 am 

It was alright, but nowhere near as memorable as the two Phanerozoic albums. I’ll have to listen to it more to see if it clicks.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:50 am 

This album is tremendous. Utterly excellent.
Obliteration

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:50 pm 

I'm very new to The ocean, but this album just clicked with me. "Atlantic" and the subsequent track are just so good to me

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:42 pm 

After being quite lukewarm with the new album, after watching this band live on their current tour I have to say that the new songs finally clicked! Amazing performance by Loic and I think this more 'electronic' side suits them very well!

Btw, the new album is available as 'Name Your Price' in Bandcamp!

Yes it is.

Reply to topic