Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:14 am 

So true story: I'm in bed, cuddling with my wife, and at 11:55, barely seconds away from falling asleep, I shoot straight up and scramble out of bed. She startles awake and, in a panic, asks what's wrong. I tell her I didn't make the poll thread. She blankly stares through the darkness at me for about three full seconds. She calls me a fucking nerd.

So that means it's time once again for!

THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

How exactly does this work you ask? Why it's simple! All you need to do is:

Select your top ten:
This is very easy, all you need to do is choose your top ten albums of the year.

PM your top ten, in order, to me, BastardHead:
It's that simple, just make a top ten and send it to me, I'll take care of all the number crunching nonsense!

What happens next is that I will assign each position a point value, grand prix style, so that first place votes are seen as more valuable than second place, and so on. The point values are as follows:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes. Regardless, we want you to put some good thought into this. Every vote counts! The idea is to get a collective snapshot of what we, as MA forumgoers, see to be the best albums of the year. So give it a lot of thought and let your voice be heard! Or just roll with the vibes and send the first ten albums you can remember being pretty good. I can't stop you. I'm not your dad.

As with all things, there are a few guidelines we ask you to follow, but they're all quite simple, common sense rules.

1) METAL ONLY!: This is for the METAL Archives, so it would be really friggin' weird if a bunch of non-metal clogged up the final chart. I don't care how great the new [insert hip crossover artist I missed this year] album is, metal only. This will be measured by whether or not a band is on the archives. I don't claim to know every band, but I'll crosscheck ones I don't know against the database here, and if they don't have a page, the points will be allocated to the dreaded Ballot Squanderer instead. This is very simple. The only exception is for bands who are on the archives but released a non-metal album, simply because I'm not about to split hairs and listen to every single album myself to make sure they all qualify. In clearer terms: [Non metal album released by a metal band] is fine; [literally anything released by an artist that doesn't have a page on MA, no matter how heavy or awesome or better than the new Primordial album it is] is not.

2) Make sure you vote for ten albums: If you can't think of ten great albums from this year, you don't really have any place deciding what was the best of the year. This rule will die when I do. All complaints can be directed straight into your own asshole.

3) Put your list in order: I'm assigning point values, it's important that they're in order. If you just give me something alphabetically with no determined ordering, I'll either just discard the entire ballot or change every vote to the new [Indonesian slam band with a funny name] album out of spite. In the event of a tie, the album with more higher placed votes counts, so an album with ten votes all for fourth place will rank above one with a hundred and twenty votes only for tenth place (this isn't the sole tiebreaker anymore because I realized it was stupid but if two albums have the same point AND vote total, this will be how they're sorted, otherwise raw vote total is the initial tiebreaker so I don't have another weird situation where an album with four votes wins the tie again an album with nine), so please, order them!

4) New, original material only: So no live albums or compilations or anything like that. This is simply so no pointless "best of" release or something shows up. Those are never in play unless it's something totally rerecorded and treated as a new release, which to my knowledge is extremely rare, and if there is such a case that you loved and want to vote for, just use your best judgment as to whether or not it's a standalone release or simply a "best of" collection with a new vocalist or something. So full lengths, demos, EPs, splits, etc. are all fair game. Live albums, comps, box sets, rereleases, deluxe editions, etc. are not. I'm a pretty zen guy though so if you're on the fence, don't be afraid to just ask me.

5) Only albums actually released in 2023: This should go without saying but I want to make it clear just in case. Be sure it actually came out this year, if you vote for some 2024 album because it was leaked in November, I will invent a way to slap you through your monitor.

6) One ballot per user: Again, should go without saying, but don't try to vote multiple times to inflate the numbers. I will notice and I'll just wipe your whole vote if you decide to be a numbskull.

7) Your account must have been registered before this thread was created: This shouldn't apply to pretty much all of you, but it's just to prevent duplicate sockpuppet accounts trying to game the system. Don't do that.

8) Don't be a dick: We're running on the honor system here, and I obviously can't police the intentions of everybody who votes, but please don't be a troll who votes in a bunch of crap you've never heard of for yuks. Nor should you vote in things you actually think are terrible as some weird form of protest. Nor should you vote the same album ten times. Nor should you vote for something your own band released. We're trusting you to take this seriously enough to have fun with this but not act like an idiot, just use common sense and don't waste our time.

And that's all there is to it! This thread is open for questions, discussions, and what-have-you until the results are posted in a new thread next year.. If you want to say "Hey guys, if you liked the new Vomit Sodomy record, be sure to check out the new Goat Fucking Moonpocalypse too!" or something, that's more than welcome! The more people know about great albums, the better! The whole idea here is to get a snapshot of how MA feels and hopefully to introduce everybody to some great stuff they may not have heard of before. I know in the past I've asked you guys to not posts your lists in this thread for Reasons X and Y but honestly? Go ahead! It's kinda obvious that I was the only person who gave a shit lol. I was always worried about lesser enthusiasm if something pulls ahead early or the results get too easy to guess or whatever, but the mid-year polls don't have this pointless restriction and everybody is happier for it and those are arguably more popular than these year end polls! Just PLEASE be sure to PM your ballots to me as well, since that's the only way I'll be able to truly keep track of them and get them all counted.

Polls are open until January 1st, 2024, MA time (so Eastern, or GMT -05:00). I NEED TO STRESS THAT THIS IS THE CLOSED TIME. Every year there are a few people who misinterpret the time as the 1st being the last day to submit, but really that's the day when you can't submit any further. The results should go up on the 1st if all goes according to plan, so it would be insane to still take votes while I'm in the several-hour process of transferring everything from the spreadsheet to a forum post. ONCE THE YEAR CHANGES, THE POLLS ARE CLOSED, PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THIS!

And yes I know there are always some people dissatisfied with this because some albums are released in late December, but we went through this entire song and dance before and I even put it up for a vote, and the way we've been doing it without incident for the past several years wound up winning anyway and I'm just not going through that whole jive again. Deadline is final. I'm sorry if you're dissatisfied. Please send all hate mail to Napero. Unlike me, he is your dad and you really should call him every once in a while.

Feel free to send me your votes whenever you feel comfortable with your list and I will post the results as soon as I can after they close, likely within the week (historically on the first day). Have fun and happy voting!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:35 am 

A great year with lots of great metal. Right now I have a top 20 that was reached by lots of ruthless cutting and a feeling that some great releases were being left behind. Removing 10 great albums and putting this in order will be a headache! The only release this year that I am still looking forward to that could be a threat to the current order is the Ironsword ep. I suppose a surprise or two is possible. I look forward to seeing all the lists and the final poll results!

Narnia - Ghost Town

Megaton Sword - Might & Power

Obituary - Dying of Everything

Alcatrazz - Take No Prisoners

Wings of Steel - Gates of Paradise

Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold

Wytch Hazel - IV Sacrament

Metal Church - Congregation of Annihilation

Subsignal - A Poetry of Rain

Martin Simson’s Destroyer of Death - Eternal Reign

Theocracy - Mosaic

Heavy Load - Riders of the Ancient Storm

Cirith Ungol - Dark Parade

Sorcerer - Reign of the Reaper

Sky Empire - The Shifting Tectonic Plates of Power - Part One

Sombre Holiday - The Soul’s Blood

Angra - Cycles of Pain

Diviner - Avaton

Signum Regis - Undivided

Adorned Graves - The Earth Hath Opened Her Mouth

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:53 am 

Thanks BH!

Update Dec 31: Done

1. Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit (2023-09-15 // 20 Buck Spin // Progressive death metal)

2. Gorod - The Orb (2023-03-10 // Base Productions/Independent // Progressive death metal)

3. Enslaved - Heimdal (2023-03-03 // Nuclear Blast // Progressive black/viking metal)

4. Overkill - Scorched (2023-04-14 // Nuclear Blast // Thrash metal)

5. Immortal - War Against All (2023-05-26 // Nuclear Blast // Black metal)

6. Spirit Adrift - Ghost at the Gallows (2023-08-18 // Century Media // Heavy/doom metal)

7. Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium (2023-08-18 // Season of Mist // Progressive death metal)

8. Skálmöld - Ýdalir (2023-08-18 // Napalm Records // Viking metal)

9. Kataklysm - Goliath (2023-08-11 // Nuclear Blast // Death/groove metal)

10. Marduk - Memento Mori (2023-09-01 // Century Media // Black metal)

11-40
11. Enforced - War Remains
12. ...and Oceans - As in Gardens, So in Tombs
13. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
14. Insomnium - Anno 1696
15. Cannibal Corpse - Chaos Horrific
16. Shining - s/t
17. Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
18. Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
19. Faidra - Militant : Penitent : Triumphant
20. Sermon - Of Golden Verse
21. Nervosa - Jailbreak
22. In Flames - Foregone
23. Anachronism - Meanders
24. Azaghal - Alttarimme on luista tehty
25. Thron - Dust
26. The Lion's Daughter - Bath House
27. Crypta - Shades of Sorrow
28. Suffocation - Hymns from the Apocrypha
29. Werewolves - My Enemies Look and Sound Like Me
30. Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags
31. The Ocean - Holocene
32. Exmortus - Necrophony
33. Kold - Intent mere er
34. Green Lung - This Heathen Land
35. Mork - Dypet
36. Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
37. Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination
38. Dethklok - Dethalbum IV
39. Voidescent - Dust and Embers
40. Turbid North - The Decline

Last edited by motorsport on Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:56 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:56 am 

BastardHead wrote:
So true story: I'm in bed, cuddling with my wife, and at 11:55, barely seconds away from falling asleep, I shoot straight up and scramble out of bed. She startles awake and, in a panic, asks what's wrong. I tell her I didn't make the poll thread. She blankly stares through the darkness at me for about three full seconds. She calls me a fucking nerd.

So that means it's time once again for!

THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

UGH LET'S GO LOL
My list been ready!

1. Panopticon – The Rime Of Memory

Talk about exceeding all expectations; not that I had dire ones because Panopticon is consistent if nothing else, but this has been a vital and rewarding experience of an album. The subject is, of course, mortality and as Austin Lunn puts it in so many words;

Spoiler: show
It is such an ugly thought that we all will taste death. Many of us do our best to kind of push it to the back of our minds, so we can go about our daily lives, but just before sleep, it runs its fingers down your spine, resting warmly at your hip as you embark upon a dream, just to be startled with the reminder of your own impermanence.

Life is short…and gathers speed as it falls…slowly rolling down hill until making its plunge into the abyss, only to abruptly end at its highest speed…the days flying by like minutes, with each wrinkle in our increasingly fragile hands until we simply stop breathing….for what ever reason.

So we make occasions of mile stones…erecting them to acknowledge the ages we pass through. Every traveler stops to pay their respects and be reminded by those who long ago visited those mile stones…16….18….20….21…25…30….35…40…50….and so on…each milestone further apart than the last, each one less attended… less flowers at the foot of the stone crumbling into oblivion….and then the milestone is a grave….weeds growing around it, seldom seen and then forgotten…

Along the way we grapple with it as best we can…desperately holding on to our youth (some of us)…engaging in outlandish behavior to attempt to rediscover our passion for life, or revitalize our youth…but it’s pointless…you are what you are. And with each day you become more and more that.
It is the natural cycle of life. Be born, grow, die, be born, grow, die.
Our planet has such cycles as well. But along the way, our desperate attempts to halt our own cycles got in the way of the planet’s cycles. So desperate to evade our inevitabilities…we will harness and destroy the very life force we thrive from to just have one more day of youth and ease…we will desecrate the sacred cathedrals of the wilderness, the havens of all life just so that we can have a simpler existence, with more abundant resources for a privileged few…

…And then it comes. The well dries up. The forests burn. The smoke filled air choking our lungs…the dust billowing around our homes, our bellies crying out from food scarcity, dry eyes and parched throats seeking shelter from ever violent weather, cowering in the ruins of our landscapes, between walls, huddling in fear of collapse… we look in the mirror and we see:
We look old. It all served us nothing. There is no escape from death and grief and loss…So why did we do this? I guess we just couldn’t come to terms with the end…so we encouraged it.

This album has 2 meanings. You can see this album solely as a rant about the climate crisis and wilderness advocacy. Or you can see this album as a coming to terms with the aging process…Or, as I do, you can see it allergoricaly about both.
I wrote this album in my years of 37 to 40. It’s strange to remember my parents at my age and think about how different it feels…raising my own children…having my own career…my own priorities…my own struggles. They did too. Passing by their mile stones, we begin to humanize them… they stop being the distant untouchable monoliths, towering over us…and we begin to see the cracks in them… just as we begin to crack, ourselves. Every time I go home, I drink a beer or two at my old man’s grave. His final mile stone… One day, my boys just may drink a beer at mine.

Each day is sacred as we slowly march towards the end. Don’t forget to enjoy the beauty you see, smell, taste and feel along the way. It won’t last forever…so enjoy it, cherish it… protect it.

Don’t let the fire burn out.

Suffice to say, these songs mean what they say and say what they mean – over a course of a hefty hour and some. The emotional and atmospheric weight of it all subsides and resumes effectively in punishing and liberating strokes, the strong thematic element working in tandem with the folksier element he has honed so well over the years. It is some of the grandest stuff I’ve had the pleasure of in recent memory (hah!) but it also packs a hard punch in the reflective sense and leaves you with a lot to chew on thus making its mark. And that my friends, is the makings of an AOTY!

2. Warcrab – The Howling Silence

Warcrab play a galloping form of sludge that is informed as much by Crowbar as it is by Bolt Thrower – at least on this album. Influences and comparisons aside, this is unlike anything I’ve heard. It is absolute headbanging music with so much style and a lovable consistency that kept me hooked from opening to end and wore out my ears all month long. Sometimes that’s all you need.

3. The Anchoret – It All Began With Loneliness

And then there’s this Canadian collective that replenished my zest for classic prog metal…by being altogether fresh and new whilst being cut from the coat(s) of King Crimson, Opeth, Dream Theater and Pink Floyd (with those lumbering sax lines and solos). The music also veers into extreme territory but with such skillful timing and placing and the songs stand alone solidly while also working as a whole. A joy to listen to ever since the first time I picked it up.

4. Hellripper – Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags

I’ve enjoyed all things Hellripper from the onset and The Affair Of The Poisons was my 2020 AOTY over solid projects from Oransi Pazuzu and Psychotic Waltz. This one is just as good but couldn’t quite edge out the other three. Still, it RIPS my God! All the chops that make dude such a vital talent are there but with an ear for the epic this time as well. “Master Stoor Worm” is eight minutes of mayhemic speedy black meets death and I LIVE!!!! So many sublime moments in this album, if this wins the overall poll, my faith in y’all’s fervor for the sounds of the underground shall be restored.

5. Godthrymm – Distortions

A band that combines Solstice and Paradise Lost’s doom ethics is a special thing and while I loved the first one and praised it highly, it is here that I feel these guys are coming into their own. The songs are more lumbering, weightier, sadder and more effecting. Godthrymm have crafted quite the identity for themselves and my love grows stronger with each work. This is perfect for the season at the moment too.

6. Alkaloid – Numen

Hannes Grossmann’s fun jazz-inflected band dropped this collection of bangers that took me by surprise (clean vocals, what?). Prog death maneuvers by the numbers, it would seem if not for the memorable songs therein. “Clusterfuck” is so catchy! “The Fungi From Yuggoth” is evocative and rousing! “Alpha Aur” is epic and wondrous! An album I still come back to with much fondness.

7. Cirith Ungol – Dark Parade

This great, great epic heavy metal band that somehow never gets the full appreciation it deserves. Comeback album number 2 is even better than the first, I’ve found. There’s a sort of dank atmosphere that pairs well with the warm riffs (check out that title track!) that makes this as classic sounding as everything else they’ve done historically. “Sailor On The Seas Of Fate” sits comfortably with “The Finger Of Scorn” in the oeuvre methinks. I expect this to perform well overall.

8. Suffocation – Hymns From The Apocrypha

This thing is relentless and made me warm up again to a band I was fanatical about when I was younger and dumber. It is slicker and Frank Mullen-less as well and while the band had disappeared in the muck of a legion of faceless techy death bands, Hymns with its polished grooves and controlled precision is a worthy reminder of why I enjoyed Suffo in the first place.

9. Vastum – Inward To Gethsemane

A great year for death metal and Ascended Dead was just recently nudged out of my top 10 after I gave this new Vastum several full appreciative listens. “Stillborn Eternity” (for example) sounds so damned drenched in old-school but with a new found menace. Memorable songs that are now lodged in my cranium. Vastum delivers the (familiar) goods yo.

10. Dawn Ray’d – To Know The Light

With their usual conviction and a better grasp of managing their transitions, Dawn Ray’d made this last album also their best. My metric for selections this year has been memorability and songs OVER awe-inducing slabs of forgettable grandness (that’s why no Thantifaxath) and here’s a collection of spirited, anthemic, cathartic tunes that land.

11. Ascended Dead - Evenfall Of The Apocalypse
12. Vertebra Atlantis - A Dialogue with the Eeriest Sublime
13. Xoth - Exogalactic
14. Spirit Adrift – Ghost At The Gallows
15. Ahab – The Coral Tombs
16. Gravesend – Gowanus Death Stomp
17. Godflesh - Purge
18. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
19. Runemagick – Beyond The Cenotaph Of Mankind
20. Mithridatum – Harrowing

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:32 am 

The interesting one for me this year is going to be Metallica? Is it possible that they might get no votes this year?

I mean, it currently has 23 reviews on this site and the current overall score is 57%. In any case, it's going to be way down in the poll for such a well-known band.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:55 am 

I haven't made much of an effort to keep up with new releases this year. At this point I've only listened to 60 new releases, and the vast majority of them have felt too middle-of-the-road for me.

My list goes something like this:

1 Enforced - War Remains (by a huge distance to number 2)
2 Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold
3 Stikkersvin - …og de levede ulykkeligt og alt for længe
4 Afsky - Om hundrede år
5 Ascendency - A Manifest of Imperious Destiny
6 Cruel Force - Dawn of the Axe
7 Deiquisitor - Apotheosis
8 Drüben - Volden er naturens mejsel
9 Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination
10 Hellripper - Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:17 am 

I think a couple of my selections will do well in the poll (Marduk, Tomb Mold). However, I think the vast majority of my choices will be in the rando corner. I haven’t heard a lot of people mention many of the names on my list. In any case, here is my list:

1. Moonreich – Amer

2. Endstille – DetoNation

3. Tomb Mold – The Enduring Spirit

4. Marduk – Memento Mori

5. Sammath – Grebbeberg

6. Isole – Anesidora

7. Tulus – Fandens Kall

8. Suffocation – Hymns From The Apocrypha

9. Keep Of Kalessin – Katharsis

10. Incantation – Unholy Deification

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:32 am 

Goddamn it, I haven’t even begun to think about my top ten. Despite actively telling myself I wasn’t going to buy many new releases this year I ended up pulling the trigger on a fuck ton.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:56 am 

Well, this year I managed to listen to new Enslaved...and that's all. So much catch up to do...

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:57 am 

Very interested to read other people's top 10s. Unlike other years, at this stage I still have no idea what my top 10 is going to be, because there have been so many releases that I've liked this year that I think it's going to take me weeks to do the process.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:23 am 

I think this was a great year for me, I dug into many great releases, especially in the dissonant genre, but nearly every other week I was able to encounter a true gem that suited my taste.
I've just collected here the big batch, which I'm gonna choose my top10 from, hopefully you may encounter something that you overlooked, but would worth checking out.
The list is not in a specific order, I just randomly collected releases I can remember right now, and what I really liked.

...and Oceans - As in Gardens, So in Tombs
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Alkaloid - Numen
Wormhole - Almost Human
Carnosus - Visions of Infinihility
Anachronism - Meanders
Mithridatum - Harrowing
Ignominy - Imminent Collapse
Riverside - ID.Entity
Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
Nightmarer - Deformity Adrift
Kalmah - Kalmah
Shylmagoghnar - Convergence
Aodon - Portraits
Unfurl - Ascension
Serpent of Old - Ensemble Under the Dark Sun
Spellsword - Night of the Grail
Blut aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab
Maladie - For We Are the Plague
Lamp of Murmuur - Saturnian Bloodstorm
Gridlink - Coronet Juniper
Fires in the Distance - Air Not Meant for Us
Uada - Crepuscule Natura

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:14 am 

So much stuff I've listened to from this year, and yet I still have too many albums to go, even if I have a rough idea of my top 10. Might need to resort to just streaming releases I intended to listen to but haven't obtained a copy yet. Prefer CDs, but at the same time, I'm not made of money, and can only spend so much. [Damn that KGLW album not being released on CD.]

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:22 am 

I never spent less time on new albums than this year in the last decade or so. Guess I do have to skip this one after all :-( but will gladly do the checking as soon as the results are in!

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:39 am 

Oh it's that time of the year again. So awesome. I'm going to need a couple of weeks to think about it. Creating a top 10 is going to be absolutely heartbreaking. Way too much good stuff came out that leaving stuff out will be sad.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

alkostach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:56 am 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! The last few weeks of this year imma gonna sort it out for myself and drop a list to shock everyone, even myself. Let's go bastards!

Chickin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:09 am 

Awesome year this year, but lots of finnish bands in the top 10, guess im biased

Mansion - Second Death

Awesome Doom from Finland that sings about a local cult from 20s-50s, Good lyrics and emotional music

Rotten Sound - Apocalypse

Face-melting and groovy Grindcore, I really like this when I am in a bad mood or angry

...And Oceans - As in Gardens, So in Tombs

Symphonic black metal from Finland with awesome production

Insomnium - Anno 1969

Kings of melodic death metal, I think their albums are better now than 6 ish years ago

Shining - Shining

I really dont like Niklas and the lyrics are kinda cringe at times, but the music is so dang good I cant help it

Myrkur - Spine

Controversial I know, but this cesspool of folk and badly produced black metal works for me. I really like this album, almost as good as mareridt

Bounjour Tristesse - Against Leviathan[u/]

New band for me, glad I found them

[u]Kaunis Kuolematon - Mielenvalta

Epic melodic doom death from Finland, The singer has a beautiful voice for the clean parts. Not as good as previous albums tho

The rest i dont know yet, we´ll see, maybe Ahab, Aara, Höstsol, Within Temptation

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:50 am 

Cool, finally:

1. Dodheimsgard - Black medium current
2. Lunar Chamber - Shambhallic vibrations
3. Kostnateni - Upal
4. Fleshvessel - Yearning: Promethean fates sealed
5. Nightmarer - Deformity adrift
6. The Zenith passage - Datalysium
7. Afterbirth - In but Not of
8. Nithing - Agonal hymns
9. Wormhole - Almost human
10. Neo Inferno 262 - Pleonectic

This is just for now, i'll edit in the countless honorable mentions

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:58 am 

Here’s my shortlist, alphabetically. I still need to do some more comprehensive listening before final submission:

Ageless Summoning-Corrupting The Entempled Plane
Cruciamentum-Obsidian Refractions
Exulansis-Overtures Of Uprising
Godflesh-Purge
Gravesend-Gowanus Death Stomp
Krieg-Ruiner
Liturgy-93696
Majesties-Vast Reaches Unclaimed
Panopticon-The Rime Of Memory
Ruim-Black Royal Spiritism - I​.​ O Sino da Igreja
Tomb Mold-The Enduring Spirit
Ulfud-Of Existential Distortion
Wayfarer-American Gothic
Obliteration

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:04 am 

So far for sure I will have on there the following. Need to check out a few more releases before making a final list.

Cannibal Corpse - Chaos Horrific
Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit
Obituary - Dying of Everything
Overkill - Scortched

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:23 am 

I think I have some predictions on which albums are gonna make the top 10, but this might be a pretty tense competition.

brundlefly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:24 am 

Admittedly there's so much from this year I've not gotten a chance to sink my teeth into. It's been a great year for metal!

1. Dødheimsgard's "Black Medium Current"

2. Faidra's "Militant:Penitent:Triumphant"

3. Lamp Of Murmuur's "Saturnian Bloodstorm"

4. One of Nine's "Eternal Sorcery"

5. Urfaust's "Untergang"

6. Raspberry Bulbs' "The World Is Empty, The Heart Is Full"

7. Wayfarer's "American Gothic"

8. Immortal's "War Against All"

9. Sea Mosquito's "Igitur"

10. Marduk's "Momento Mori"

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:12 pm 

My list isn't yet final, but for the last couple years now, I actually organize my Spotify playlists with this thread in mind so I can easily come up with a list for it. Always fun sharing our coups de coeur, and seeing what other people have digged this year.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:44 pm 

Got off to a slow start this year but by Satan did it turn out to be a good one.
My shortlist of contenders this year:

Obituary - Dying Of Everything
Memoriam - Rise To Power
Enslaved - Heimdal
Overkill - Scorched
Blazon Rite - Wild Rites and Ancient Songs
Sacred Outcry - Towers Of Gold
Wytch Hazel - IV: Sacrament
Voivod - Morgoth Tales
Godflesh - Purge
Jag Panzer - The Hallowed
Raven - All Hells Breaking Loose
Cadaver - The Age Of The Offended
Godthrymm - Distortions
Rotten Casket - Zombicron
Primordial - How It Ends
Heavy Load - Riders Of The Ancient Storm
Prong - State Of Emergency
Marduk - Memento Mori
Go Ahead and Die - Unhealthy Mechanisms
Autopsy - Ashes, Organs, Blood & Crypts
Mortuary Drape - Black Mirror
Suffocation - Hymns from the Apocrypha
Triumpher - Storming The Walls
Trespass - Wolf At The Door
Dying Fetus ‎- Make Them Beg For Death

Still to listen to but I'm sure will be contenders:
Varathron - The Crimson Temple
Demoncy - Black Star Gnosis

One album that will most definitely NOT be a contender is 72 Shitty Seasons.

Last edited by MetlaNZ on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:48 pm 

Yes!!! Finally!!! It's time for the year end poll!!!

I'm going to take most of the month to revisit my favorite records and try to finalize the order. I might take some time to listen to a few albums I might have missed too.

So this is my top albums right now, with their current rank, but there is nothing final about this list as of yet:

Potential top 10
1. Ahab - The Coral Tombs
2. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
3. Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
4. Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination
5. ...and Oceans - As in Gardens, So in Tombs
6. Ebony Pendant - Ebony Pendant
7. Blackbraid - Blackbraid II
8. Kalmah - Kalmah
9. Pest Control - Don’t Test the Pest
10. Majesties - Vast Reaches Unclaimed

Top Tier
11. Chuch of Misery - Born Under a Mad Sign
12. The Ocean - Holocene
13. Nightmarer - Deformity Adrift
14. Sulphur Aeon - Seven Crowns and Seven Seals
15. Werewolves - My Enemies Look and Sound Like Me
16. Imperium Dekadenz - Into Sorrow Evermore
17. Blindfolded And Led To The Woods – Rejecting Obliteration
18. Downfall of Gaia - Silhouettes of Disgust
19. Lamp of Murmurr - Saturnian Bloodstorm
20. Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab

And the further down the list we go, the least the ranking matters, but these are still solid albums that I'll revisit during the month:

Úlfúð - Of Existential Distortion
Lustre - Reverence
Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
Cryptopsy - As Gomorrah Burns
Fen - Monuments to Absence
Sunrot - The Unfailing Rope
Non Est Deus - Legacy
Taake - Et hav av avstand
Nattehimmel - Mourningstar

Afterbirth - In but Not Of
Frozen Dawn - The Decline of the Enlightened Gods
Slog - Divination
Runemagick - Beyond the Cenotaph of Mankind
Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Uada - Crepuscule Natura
Dawn Ray’d - To Know The Light
Snorlax - The Necrotrophic Abyss

Plague Bearer - Summoning Apocalyptic Devastation
Passéisme - Alternance

I'll definitely also look into the lists of others to see if there is anything great that I might have missed!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:59 pm 

I'm still forming mine together, and there's a few more albums to track down, but the top contenders of the year so far are:

Obvious Top Spots -
Lovebites - Judgement Day
Marc Hudson - Starbound Stories

The Bulk of the List -
Overkill - Scorched
Metallica - 72 Seasons
Blood Star - First Sighting
Iron Savior - Firestar
Theocracy - Mosaic

Fighting for the Last Few Spots -
Xandria - The Wonders Still Awaiting
Fifth Angel - When Angels Kill
Angra - Cycles of Pain
Derdian - New Era Part IV
Serenity - Nemesis AD

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:11 pm 

I got five, I have to hear more albums released this year, but my top five would be something like this.

1 - Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
2 - Suffocation - Hymns of the Apocrypha
3 - Kruelty - Untopia
4 - Cryptopsy - As Gomorrah Burns
5 - Rotten Sound - Apocalypse

Edit: Adding more stuff to the list to remember.

6 - Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination
7 - Xibalba - Aztlán
8 - Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
9 - Afterbirth - In but Not Of
10 - Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit

Last edited by SanPeron on Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:00 pm 

Thanks BH and I hope the wife isn't still pissed off!

My list as it currently stands but I won't submit it yet just in case anything major happens, I missed Satanic Warmaster last year and it really bugged me. Might end up fiddling with the order too:

1) Hellripper 'Warlocks grim & withered hags'
2) Marduk 'Memento mori'
3) Deitus 'Irreversible'
4) Aegrus 'Invoking the abysmal night'
5) Tsjuder 'Helvegr'
6) Enforced 'War remains'
7) Arrogant Destruktor 'Written in blood from the blade'
8) Demoniac 'Nube negra'
9) Smoulder 'Violent creed of vengeance'
10) Cloak 'Black flame eternal'

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:12 pm 

This really snuck up on me. How the hell is it already December 1st?

Anyway, very tough to get this down to just ten, but I am locking it in:

1. The Orb - Gorod
2. Weltende - Porta Nigra
3. Visions of Infinihility - Carnosus
4. Sky Void of Stars - Katatonia
5. Bath House - The Lion's Daughter
6. Make Them Beg for Death - Dying Fetus
7. Drifting - Cursebinder (I only found this just a few days ago, and I am thankful I did so it could get on the list)
8. Terrasite - Cattle Decapitation
9. Circulate - Omnivortex
10. Death is the Beginning - Somnuri

Honorable Mentions in no particular order:
The Omnicidialist - Omncidial
Trial by Chaos - Raider
Born Under a Mad Sign - Church of Misery
Rejecting Obliteration - Blindfolded and Led to the Woods (probably my first chop on the list, which is unfortunate too because I had it as high as fourth at one point)
Orphalis - Crowned in Hatred
My Enemies Look and Sound Like Me - Werewolves
We Came Here to Grive - Ashbringer
The Howling Silence - Warcrab
Tales - Night Crowned
Coronet Juniper - Gridlink

Last edited by nakzox on Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:14 pm 

Hey Bastardhead it's been a bumper crop this year. Can I have an extra 5-10 votes just to make it easier to choose?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:44 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

How amazing is that record!

I'll check this one out based on the description you made.

15. Ahab – The Coral Tombs
18. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation

I was under the impression that Ahab's newest was not going to get a lot of mentions, but I'm glad to see it on other people's short lists.

King Gizard's album is fucking amazing! I think it's most likely going to make my final list.

Bachstein wrote:
...and Oceans - As in Gardens, So in Tombs
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Kalmah - Kalmah
Lamp of Murmuur - Saturnian Bloodstorm

There's a lot of overlap between your list and mine. A lot of good stuff in there. I might have to check some other of your picks!

FirebathDan wrote:
Here’s my shortlist, alphabetically. I still need to do some more comprehensive listening before final submission:
Majesties-Vast Reaches Unclaimed
Panopticon-The Rime Of Memory

I was wondering if Majesties album was going to end up on other people's list. They have the whole early melodic death metal sound entirely figured out, and they are doing it so well, probably even moreso then some of the pioneers of the genre.

And am I glad to see Panopticon's album being mentionned so much, even if it just came out, haha! Solid stuff for sure!

MetlaNZ wrote:
Hey Bastardhead it's been a bumper crop this year. Can I have an extra 5-10 votes just to make it easier to choose?

Oh, are we already complaining about it not being a top 20? Count me in! It should be 20 albums, BH! What the fuck!?!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:13 pm 

I still need to revisit quite a few albums and listen to some for the first time. My list isn't going to be solid really but I'll try and play.

I am fairly certain that first place will be among Sacred Outcry and Demoniac. No idea how I am going to choose between them, I love them both and they are quite different. We'll see.

Triumpher will find a place for sure. Crippling Madness (Beneath the Remains worship) and Menace (tech Death worship) for the rando corner and after that it's a long list of candidates.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:15 pm 

The ballot has been officially expanded to 150 but I'll stop counting points after the #10 spot
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:18 pm 

Pretty sure Wayfarer, Cattle Decap, Dødheimsgard and Thantifaxath will be on there. Probably Afterbirth too, we'll see for the rest.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:28 pm 

I didn't listen to a massive number of new albums from this year (probably around 20ish), but these are my top 10.

I'm not stressing over the order. I'd probably change my mind any given day.

1. Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
2. Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
3. Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
4. Alkaloid - Numen
5. Haken - Fauna
6. Dødheimsgard - Black Medium Current
7. The Ocean - Holocene
8. DGM - Life
9. Scar Symmetry - The Singularity (Phase II - Xenotaph)
10. Mechina - Cenotaph

Honorable Mentions:

Anubis Gate - Interference (has its moments, but definitely the weakest Anubis Gate album in years)
Cannibal Corpse - Chaos Horrific (same old, for better and worse)
Crypta - Shades of Sorrow (better than the debut, but a bit one-note still)
Curta'n Wall - Siege Ubsessed! (for a joke album this goes so hard)
Pyramaze - Bloodlines (nothing new from them, still sounds like Nickelback but metal)
Sulphur Aeon - Seven Crowns and Seven Seals (liked the change in atmosphere, but I think I've moved on)
Soen - Memorial (not bad, but continues the shift towards generic stadium anthems)
Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit (OSDM is kind of played out for me, but this is undeniably a great one of those)
The Zenith Passage - Datalysium (quality tech death, but only a few tracks stand out to me)

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:30 pm 

I was waiting for new Panopticon and Varathron albums to make my short list (and the wait was worth it!), so here it is:

Burial Hordes - Ruins
Cruciamentum - Obsidian Refractions
Crypta - Shades of Sorrow
Dead and Dripping - Blackened Cerebral Rifts
Dying Fetus - Make Them Beg for Death
Gridlink - Coronet Juniper
Ignea - Dreams of Lands Unseen
Incantation - Unholy Deification
Jesus Piece - ...So Unknown
Kostnatění - Úpal
Laster - Andermans Mijne
Nithing - Agonal Hymns
Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
Ruïm - Black Royal Spiritism - I​.​ O Sino da Igreja
Sulphur Aeon - Seven Crowns and Seven Seals
The Zenith Passage - Datalysium
Urfaust - Untergang
Varathron - The Crimson Temple

And it will be tough to choose! So far, I'm only 100% sure for Dødheimsgard, Cruciamentum and Panopticon...

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:36 pm 

Well, I've got a problem (like a lot of people here, I'm sure). My shortlist, right now, is 13 albums long and I have NO idea what to cut from it, nothing jumps out at me. And ordering's gonna be nuts too, I may just roll dice and order it like that.

That Ironsword EP coming out next week could also muddy the waters a bit, but anyway, here's the short list:

Gatekeeper - From Western Shores
Excalion - Once upon A Time
Blood Star - First Sighting
Tanith - Voyage
Century - The Conquest Of Time
Wytch Hazel - IV: Sacrament
Scream Maker - Land Of Fire
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard: PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
Owlbear - Chaos to the Realm
Iron Savior - Firestar
Kerrigan - Bloodmoon
Theocracy - Mosaic
Green Lung - This Heathen Land

Also, honourable mention to Empyrean Blade for their debut EP. It's stellar, it's just too short (personal rule, a release must be at least 20 minutes).

This is always a fun exercise, thanks for doing this yet again!

Edited to add in King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard's album's full title after getting over my initial laziness.

Last edited by Simfers on Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:03 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:

How amazing is that record!

I have a long drive ahead of me (Minnesota to Dallas) and Panopticon's entire discog is just perfect for the miles. He's from these parts too so this will be my homage.

Winter's Ghost - what a song!

This dormant slumber
In peace and waiting
Laid in repose
For breath abating

uuuuuugh

HeavenDuff wrote:

I'll check this one out based on the description you made.

Great, great album. Heavy as hell and galloping fun :headbang:

Simfers wrote:
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard: Petrodragonic Apocalypse and so on

PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation!!!

Show some bloody respect!

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:31 pm 

1.Déhà-Averses II

2.Ebony Pendant-Ebony Pendant

3.Hrothgar-Rise of Ragnarök

4.Stygian Love-Ghost Light

5.Umbrío-Proclamación al Vórtice de los Tiempos

6.Returning-Severance

7.Esoctrilihum-Astraal Constellations of the Majickal Zodiac

8.Ettinskjalf-Between walls and delusion

9.Amun-Spectra And Obsession

10.Sasti-Chapter III: Happiness Aboard

10 is on there because two more worthy contenders deviate from metal too much

Number five would be Abstract Void-Forever

And Nine would be Ardwisur-Ardwisur

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:32 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Yes!!! Finally!!! It's time for the year end poll!!!

I'm going to take most of the month to revisit my favorite records and try to finalize the order. I might take some time to listen to a few albums I might have missed too.

So this is my top albums right now, with their current rank, but there is nothing final about this list as of yet:

Potential top 10
1. Ahab - The Coral Tombs
2. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
3. Panopticon - The Rime of Memory
4. Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination
5. ...and Oceans - As in Gardens, So in Tombs
6. Ebony Pendant - Ebony Pendant
7. Blackbraid - Blackbraid II
8. Kalmah - Kalmah
9. Pest Control - Don’t Test the Pest
10. Majesties - Vast Reaches Unclaimed

Top Tier
11. Chuch of Misery - Born Under a Mad Sign
12. The Ocean - Holocene
13. Nightmarer - Deformity Adrift
14. Sulphur Aeon - Seven Crowns and Seven Seals
15. Werewolves - My Enemies Look and Sound Like Me
16. Imperium Dekadenz - Into Sorrow Evermore
17. Blindfolded And Led To The Woods – Rejecting Obliteration
18. Downfall of Gaia - Silhouettes of Disgust
19. Lamp of Murmurr - Saturnian Bloodstorm
20. Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab

And the further down the list we go, the least the ranking matters, but these are still solid albums that I'll revisit during the month:

Úlfúð - Of Existential Distortion
Lustre - Reverence
Cryptopsy - As Gomorrah Burns
Fen - Monuments to Absence
Sunrot - The Unfailing Rope
Non Est Deus - Legacy
Taake - Et hav av avstand

Frozen Dawn - The Decline of the Enlightened Gods
Slog - Divination
Runemagick - Beyond the Cenotaph of Mankind
Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Uada - Crepuscule Natura
Dawn Ray’d - To Know The Light
Snorlax - The Necrotrophic Abyss

Plague Bearer - Summoning Apocalyptic Devastation
Passéisme - Alternance

I'll definitely also look into the lists of others to see if there is anything great that I might have missed!

Unless things vastly change, I guess my complete rando is not this year either.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:35 pm 

It's been a pretty great year. I was certain Dødheimsgard would be #1 easily, but the new Panopticon is definitely a contender. I also have some albums yet to check out, like the new project from Blasphemer (Mayhem's old guitarist), Tulus' album, and I guess I should check out the Enslaved album although I haven't found them really convincing with their latest albums/EPs.

Këkht Aräkh has a new album* now too, they made quite a big impression with Pale Swordsman in 2021. *scratch that, it was just one song.

Last edited by Raven_Augustus on Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next