* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:49 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:
No one so far seems to look upon rarities as investments, eh?

:???:

Every post in this thread says otherwise.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:04 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

If anything, it's for releases from bands they really enjoy, but not much on those they've heard and didn't like, but are willing to drop $50 on anyway.

Kruel wrote:
If it is unpiratable, and guaranteed to be good(not necessarily very, very magnificently great), and extremely rare, then I might pay up to $50.

dalecooper wrote:
My usual price limit for a rarity is $40-50. The most I've ever spent was $200 on a pristine copy of Utumno's "Across the Horizon." Ordinarily I would never even consider spending that much on a single disc no matter how rare, but that particular release is one of my very favorite death metal albums, and my second favorite Swedish death album (after "Ever-Flowing Stream"); and I was just dying to own a physical copy of it. I pull it off the rack and fondle it every few days just to get my money's worth. :drool: The gap between that and the second-most I've ever spent is quite a lot... I think the second-most I've spent was $75.

Then there are those who'd just rather have the mp3 -

Lord_Hate wrote:
Thanks to P2P programs, I can keep both my right arm and my right nut and still have an opportunity to hear obscure demos by Brazilian NSBM bands limited to 14 copies.

OzzyApu wrote:
Seconded

Though if I had to purchase some disc to listen to, it would never top $50, that's just absurd, unless it's so super rare that Abbath breathed on it, then sure, maybe I'd bump up my limit.

edge_of_tranquility wrote:
yeah, I really wouldnt spend any money on a rare album, it'll sound the same if I download it, and I'll save money

iAm wrote:
The only ultra rare cd Id buy is one from Nekro Pervertor, limited to 50 copies. Otherwise Blospot and Slsk come in handy.

Hey, I understand though. $40 is a lot of money to some people, especially for something that'll spend 95% of the time on the shelf. If it's food for the family or the first Jag Panzer ep, food's winning out.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:08 pm 

Well, I won't go over $50. That's my limit. However, I did score a great deal on Whiplash's Thrashback. It's listed at Amazon for $120, but I got it for about $25 on eBay. I don't look upon it as an investment because I don't plan on selling it, EVER.

Nuke Assault's Survive is listed at Amazon for $50, however, I would not pay that high for it because the album isn't that great. Handle With Care ftw.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:12 pm 

Let's say I have next albums for sale

Exciter:Violence and Force->Signed by all original members
Faithfull breath:Gold and Glory->also signed
Sinner->Out of touch->also signed

What is the price these could bring me?

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:13 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Thanks to P2P programs, I can keep both my right arm and my right nut and still have an opportunity to hear obscure demos by Brazilian NSBM bands limited to 14 copies.

I fucking hate it the way some artists have the nerve to have the number of copies ranging from 500 to as low as 10. What the fuck. Fuck that kvlt bullshit status, I just want to listen to something new but noooo they limit the number of copies those fucking douches! :mad:

The most I've spent on was some Polluted Inheritance albums, each for about $25 each at most. I would have gone for their out-of-print "Ecocide" but the only seller that had it wanted $100+

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:19 pm 

mrchris wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:

I fucking hate it the way some artists have the nerve to have the number of copies ranging from 500 to as low as 10. What the fuck. Fuck that kvlt bullshit status, I just want to listen to something new but noooo they limit the number of copies those fucking douches! :mad:

I've always thought the reason for limiting copies [to like 5000 or something] was to save on cost. Y'know, so you don't overproduce and spend more money than you would.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:24 pm 

I once paid $100 for a record on Ebay. The bidding was under $60 in the final seconds and I already had my max bid in at $100, which was really more than I wanted to pay, but I put it in anyway, figuring the bids would never get that high. Some guy came and bid $99.99 with one second left.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:46 pm 

mrchris wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:

It is sort of annoying but it makes it so much more satisfying when you find one, especially if it's hand-numbered.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:40 pm 

I used to download gigabytes/day, burned onto dvd, and put them on the shelves. Most of them were listened to only 1track/album, many of them never listened to. I downloaded and burned 1000s of albums because the band plays black, thrash or death metal. Later on I had no time to even to update my list (over 25K of albums in mp3!), 3 of my hard-drives died because of my 24/7 downloading (during 18 months). Since that I am against mp3's, p2p, etc. It's way more different to listening to (for example) Thorns of the Carrion with the booklet in my hands, reading the lyrics. Way more better than listetning to it as some background music.
And the feeling that I have something unique!
I am willing to pay extremely high price for a rarity I need, and not just to put it to my collection after I have it. I'm longing to get Flames of Hell on LP since 2002 or so, but at that time I had no credit card, I was not able to use ebay, I had no income... and I almost had no originals to trade. To get that LP is my ultimate mission. I heard that some lucky ones found it in a 2nd hand store for some 10 USD or so! None of them willing to sell it... I paid 200+ USD for some CDs from my top wanted list. On the other hand, occasionally I can pick up rare stuff from 1 to 10 usd as well. I'm not sure how much would be the highest price I'm willing to pay, but I can imagine it can be easily 2 or 3 times more than my highest ever bid. It depends on the actual situation.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:47 pm 

thetrueevil wrote:
As for me,I am really a lucky person.I rather wait for a good offer than to bid so high for a particular cd..

Like For Example:
Rottrevore - Iniquitous-------->got this for 15 euros in a bm distro---Cost about USD225 on ebay

Expulsion - A bitter twist of fate---->got this for about 10usd----Seldom on Ebay so i do not know its value..

Epitaph- Seeming Salvation----> 65usd on ebay-----Highest i have seen is 255 usd

Sadistic Intent 2 MCDs----->Traded against a normal cd from a distro--Usually about 50 euros each i think

Merciless-The Awakening(DSP)--->Also traded a regular cd for it..--->120 euros??

So be patient and not pay absurd money for it!

Haha, yes!

I know that you are way more luckier than me! You always find the best offers and the cheapest sellers. Rottrevore, Epitaph, I think I paid 3 times more for them. But my soul can have a rest. Since I got them, the chances of the others are much better to win on ebay, haha!

I bought the first Warloghe for 10 usd in MINT condition last year, it goes for 200-250 USD. Same price for Mordicus, Ceremonial Oath's first CD, but I paid almost 200 for Pyrexia. I saw it for 60 a year ago. Utumno was sold for 40 USD in 2006, now it has an insanely high 200+ USD price.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:26 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I once bid up to €35 on the Sort Vokter CD, and up to €40 on the Thorns vs Emperor limited 2CD edition, in both cases I lost the auction.

Both CDs are on my wantlist, which seemingly bigger than the my collection list, hehe :D

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:32 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:

Well, what is in my collection, and I own only 1 copy of it, this will surely be kept. I bought some rare stuff recently, but only for trade. My wantlist contains insanely rare releases, and I prefer to trade.

Who the hell is willing to sell or trade the rarest CDs/LPs of his own collection? :eek:
But it's happened twice with me. That's how I got the BLOODSTONE CD!!!
Thanks to Tom! :thumbsup:

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:35 pm 

peterott wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

:lol: After several decades, the prices might really be like that..
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:15 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
mrchris wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:

I've always thought the reason for limiting copies [to like 5000 or something] was to save on cost. Y'know, so you don't overproduce and spend more money than you would.

You can make more than one edition.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

thetrueevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:17 am 

emperor_zola wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

Well, what is in my collection, and I own only 1 copy of it, this will surely be kept. I bought some rare stuff recently, but only for trade. My wantlist contains insanely rare releases, and I prefer to trade.

Who the hell is willing to sell or trade the rarest CDs/LPs of his own collection? :eek:
But it's happened twice with me. That's how I got the BLOODSTONE CD!!!
Thanks to Tom! :thumbsup:

Do you wish to one day own every cd from every genre in the world?

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:18 am 

That graph isn't very accurate. I've seen Moonblood go for over 1,500$, and Mutiilation for 1,200$.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:26 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
That graph isn't very accurate. I've seen Moonblood go for over 1,500$, and Mutiilation for 1,200$.

What release? That's pretty fucking insane. Are there any more expensive releases in the entire history of LP/CD/tape/whatever?
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

SymphonyofPower
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:46 am 

Anyone know how much could I get for the first slough feg album(beef rock press)? I got it for cheap recently.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:51 am 

Kruel wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:

What release? That's pretty fucking insane. Are there any more expensive releases in the entire history of LP/CD/tape/whatever?

8000 bucks for a misfits record

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.p ... 4056272834

Or what about this:25000 dollar for the velvet underground

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.p ... 0060897304

Last edited by OlderBudweiser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 am 

Most I've ever spent is £40, which was on Witchfinder General's Death Penalty vinyl.

I'd never spend anymore than that, with the possible exception of Burzum vinyls (only from actual stores though, wouldn't spend that much online).

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:46 am 

Bout a year ago I sold the Metallica "I Disappear" CD single over ebay for around £25. God bless the poor bastard who bought it.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:19 am 

thetrueevil wrote:

No. Not even every cd from the actual fav' genre. To be honest, there are countless of examples exists, when I really don't understand why the 'music' was pressed onto cd/lp etc... Just think about the black metal scene... The old ones were stands for quality, and the newcomers are almost unilstenable in most of the cases. Quality/amount rate. Of course the same for every genres I collec, death, thrash, doom metal... I don't care about something which is only rare... and you?

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:23 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:

If I remember well, once the first mutiilation DLP was sold for 1000 euro.
Moonblood's Taste O.G.S. was recently sold for almost 1500 usd, but I did not see the feedback on the seller or on the buyer's myebay page. Not even a negative.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:33 am 

mrchris wrote:

Once I offered some money for a rare LP of Moonblood. Later I realized that the seller is a member of a French BM band. I asked him, why are you limiting your releases to those insane 333 500 etc. copies? He told me that it takes 1 year to sell a new release. And until it's in the stores, no one really interested in that, immediately when it's became OOP (out of print), the price will be 5 times more on ebay or more. The same story goes for Alcest's first album. It was listed as 19.99 USD with buyitnow from many sellers. The next day it became OOP, the lame users bid 100+ USD for a single copy! This is not the band's mistake. The limited to 14 demos are for greedy ppl. I can't believe that the music also can be so exceptional.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:35 am 

SymphonyofPower wrote:
Anyone know how much could I get for the first slough feg album(beef rock press)? I got it for cheap recently.

If you want to sell it, list on ebay. Use some fav' keywords like rare oop htf and maybe mention some bands in the description which gos for insane prices. ;)

thetrueevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 am 

emperor_zola wrote:
thetrueevil wrote:

No. Not even every cd from the actual fav' genre. To be honest, there are countless of examples exists, when I really don't understand why the 'music' was pressed onto cd/lp etc... Just think about the black metal scene... The old ones were stands for quality, and the newcomers are almost unilstenable in most of the cases. Quality/amount rate. Of course the same for every genres I collec, death, thrash, doom metal... I don't care about something which is only rare... and you?

First of all,thank you for your reply.As for me,i think a copy is sufficient for me.I rather wait than to pay absurd money for it.The most i could go for a rare cd is about 60 euros.Nothing More Nothing Less.Unless i have extra money to spare.I will also try to search another copy of that particular album for a cheaper price(this counts on your luck),and use the spare copy for trade or for a good money offer.Its not really about collecting for me.If i like the album,i will want to have the cd.

Essentials are important too but not its whole discography whereby some may appear to be crap.I don't really like thrash that much so mostly i will get only death,black and doom metal.

Some collectors are out of their mind.what is the purpose of paying so high and not listening to it??Some idiots even try to bid another copy of a cd on Ebay which they already own.They have no integrity whatsoever and are depriving people a shot at having that album..

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:50 pm 

emperor_zola wrote:
mrchris wrote:

Once I offered some money for a rare LP of Moonblood. Later I realized that the seller is a member of a French BM band. I asked him, why are you limiting your releases to those insane 333 500 etc. copies? He told me that it takes 1 year to sell a new release. And until it's in the stores, no one really interested in that, immediately when it's became OOP (out of print), the price will be 5 times more on ebay or more. The same story goes for Alcest's first album. It was listed as 19.99 USD with buyitnow from many sellers. The next day it became OOP, the lame users bid 100+ USD for a single copy! This is not the band's mistake. The limited to 14 demos are for greedy ppl. I can't believe that the music also can be so exceptional.

Was it MkM from Antaeus by any chance? He was selling Moonblood's Blut und Krieg a while back, along with Vampires of Black Imperial Blood.

I've seen that Mutiilation album go for 1000 euros, and also the two Moonblood LPs go for 1000-2000 USDs.

Deathcrush usually goes for anything between 500-1000 USD. Someone offered Necrobutcher like 3000 euros for his copy, 1/1000, but he refused, and wisely so IMO. That person would have just put it on ebay and bragged that it belonged to Necro.

I'm waiting for the day, in about 10 years, when Moonblood and Mutiilation LPs go for 20,000 USD.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Svartalf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:39 pm 

Not metal, but I once sold a COIL CD on eBay to a collector in Greece for $202.50.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:50 pm 

Also not metal, I saw the CD of the AOR band Akela from US. It was sold for 600 usd; a radiohead's south-african ep sold for 1200 or 1400 UKP (yes!), and saw some archived pages for example : Misfits LP 8000 USD, and someone listed a rare Elvis Presley (7'' or 12'') vinyl for 2.5 million USD.

Those buyers plays in a different league.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:53 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
Was it MkM from Antaeus by any chance? He was selling Moonblood's Blut und Krieg a while back, along with Vampires of Black Imperial Blood.

:o ?!?!

Yes, it was MKM! :evil:

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:33 pm 

Kruel wrote:
peterott wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

:lol: After several decades, the prices might really be like that..

Satyricon will never be that high. Satyr is to money hungry for anything of his to get rare.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:41 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
Satyricon will never be that high. Satyr is to money hungry for anything of his to get rare.

Really, I just realized that Satyricon is more expensive than Moonblood. I also thinks it's not really true. Warloghe is also a bit overrated on that table. For some reason, I'm not really interested in to get the EAL DLP version of Mütiilation. Maybe for 15 usd. :D

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 pm 

Another band, not metal, but for some reason Moon Blood stands for insanely high price and also means collectible :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fraction-MOON-BLOOD ... dZViewItem

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm 

I just bought the Torgeist & Vlad Tepes (Fra) - Black Legions Metal on CD, but I'm not sure if it's the original. Can someone post the matrix number of the original CD?
Thanks!!!

maggotcrusher666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 pm 

The most I've spent is 35 US dollars for a used but almost flawless copy of the Candlelight cd pressing of the Emperor/Enslaved split.

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:36 pm 

I used to bid 600 USD for the Moonblood : Taste our german steel LP, but I was outbid on the 2nd or 3rd day of the auction. That one ended 1222 usd if my memory works fine. But someone really put these famous releases back in pressing again. And not just in another 100 copies.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 pm 

Anytime you put Moonblood or Mutiilation in the auction title it will draw massive amounts of views and/or bids.

Paying 200 USD for Warloghe is a big waste, as that band is so incredibly sub par.

Yes, someone needs to re-release the two Moonblood full lengths in an amount higher than 100 copies.

I sold the Mutiilation/Drowning the Light/Satanic Warmaster split for 450 USD. Talk about idiots out there, but hey, those idiots afforded me the chance to buy some new drum stuff.

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 pm 

emperor_zola wrote:
DaBuddha wrote:

:o ?!?!

Yes, it was MKM! :evil:

Yeah, I saw his auctions. Those vinyls went for considerably less than what I thought they would.

On the topic of Moonblood, I almost won Blut und Krieg LP for less than 100 USD.

thetrueevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 pm 

emperor_zola wrote:
I just bought the Torgeist & Vlad Tepes (Fra) - Black Legions Metal on CD, but I'm not sure if it's the original. Can someone post the matrix number of the original CD?
Thanks!!!

Matrix Number: A0100194689-0101 14

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:26 am 

Gorgo wrote:
I would only give a lot of money for Lycanthropy's Spell releases. (Reminds me that I'm glad I have the original Rabe album, how much money would that be worth?).

Rabe : S/T ?
That might be easily sells for 30 or more USD, but it's worth to keep it. IMO

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next