Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
King Metalhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:38 pm 

Personally, I prefer Judas Priest, Scorpions, and Black Sabbath better in the 1970s. I also think Ronnie James Dio rocked by far the most in the band, Rainbow (from the 1970s). Don't get me wrong though. There are still 1980s metal bands that I still love, such as Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Iron Maiden. The 1980s was THEIR time to shine in my personal opinion, but the 1970s on the other hand, was when Judas Priest, the Scorps, and Black Sabbath had it going! I also think that the "Rapid Fire" song by Judas Priest from 1980 is overrated. I mean, Rob Halford is rambling throughout half of it! No 70s=No Judas Priest for me and same goes for Scorpions and Black Sabbath in my personal opinion. What about for you guys?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:07 pm 

70s Priest is the best thing that isn't Painkiller.

70s Scorpions is creative but I actually think they made the best transition into 80s commercial metal.

Even as someone who loves all the non-Ozzy Sabbath stuff, I have to admit that 70s Sabbath is the strongest and most important era.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 pm 

I can't really even pick between the 70s and 80s. The 70s is surely best for all three bands mentioned in the title - Priest never sounded so good again, Sabbath were tremendous innovators and brilliant imaginative writers and Scorpions had a real feel for catchy melodies. They were good in the 80s too, particularly the Dio Sabbath albums, but I think the 70s easily win this one.

Add in Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy and Rush's 70s material and it's just a powerhouse decade.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:20 pm 

Personally, I think for Judas Priest it's the 80s era, hands down. British Steel through (technically) Painkiller? How can you go wrong? I even like Turbo. Sin After Sin is the only 70s one I like.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:20 pm 

Seventies for all three of them. Judas Priest had a weak start into the eighties with British Steel in particular and also Point of Entry. The group's records of the seventies, especially towards the end of the decade, were all genre-defining milestones. I'm not a big expert of Scorpion's discography but have a preference for their material of the seventies which seems heavier and fresher to me than the rest. Concerning Black Sabbath, nothing equals the band's records with Ozzy Osbourne for me in terms of atmosphere and intensity and this matters more to me than technical aspects or lyrics.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm 

kluseba wrote:
Seventies for all three of them.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:33 pm 

70's Priest by a mile. Their two best albums, Sad Wings and Stained Class, along with the best live disc ever put that over the top.
I want to say 70's Scorps but really they peaked in the early 80's and were masters of radio friendly pop-metal like few others.
Sabbath is 70's easily, I love the Dio era but those first 5-6 records are the bedrock, along with Priest, of metal.

King Metalhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

GTog wrote:
Personally, I think for Judas Priest it's the 80s era, hands down. British Steel through (technically) Painkiller? How can you go wrong? I even like Turbo. Sin After Sin is the only 70s one I like.

Care to elaborate on HOW with 80s Judas Priest? Sin After Sin is the ONLY 70s one you like? WHY?!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:40 pm 

I'll be in the minority, but I'd pick 80s for all three. Scorpions is the easiest decision. I find their 70s stuff to be very overrated and love their poppier turn.

Priest also isn't that difficult. Though I love Sin After Sin, Sad Wings, and especially Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance is one of the greatest records ever, and both British Steel and Defenders of the Faith rule immensely.

Sabbath is probably the most difficult. There's a lot more material in the 70s that I really enjoy, but Heaven and Hell is so much better than everything else that Sabbath ever did that I lean more towards the 80s.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:22 pm 

For me, the Scorpions "classic era" bridged the late 70's and early 80's, basically the first four albums of the Mathias Jabs era. After "Love at First Sting" they kind of got boring. Their earlier stuff- "Taken By Force" had some excellent tracks, and there are a few good songs scattered among the 4 or 5 previous ones, but I don't think they were quite as consistent. But "Lovedrive" came out in '78, and "Love at First Sting" in 83 or 84, forget which year, and that was their peak for me.

"Painkiller" was the definitive Judas Priest album for me, sure there were some other good albums in the 80's but some real dogs as well, and I never got into the 70's stuff that much. So- 80's Priest for me.

It's tough because I love the Dio era Sabbath as much as the Ozzy era, albeit for totally different reasons, totally different aesthetics. But if we are going strictly by chronology and by volume, then the Dio era basically ended around 1982 or 3 with just two studio albums and one live one (he didn't re-unite with the band to record "De-humanizer" until, I believe, 1991? I cant remember for sure) While Ozzy's tenure with the band in the 70's was much longer and more prolific- six great albums and two average-to good albums. So, 70's Sabbath wins by default.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 pm 

Seventies for all of them. I'm a huge fan of all eras of Sabbath, and while they definitely had great records, and technically better musicians, especially vocalists in the 80s, there really is nothing comparable to the classic line up. 80s Priest is trying to do what 80s Scorpions did, with less success. Naturally though, each bands classic metal records came in the seventies, with the exception of Painkiller.

I find it interesting that the fans who prefer 80s Priest here feel the need to cite Painkiller in their arguments.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:32 pm 

70's Sabbath takes this inarguably for me at leastand I'm really not seeing how its close at all. Their first albums are loaded with so many killer riffs, memorable songs, and even Sabotage at its weakest is still more memorable to me than Sad wings of Destiny. In terms of hitting their stride Priest found their sound to me at Sin after Sin and Stained Class, which even as great on their own are up against five essentially flawless albums from Sabbath. In the eighties Priest typically had albums with great songs but filler tracks, so the albums would largely be good but never on the level they'd attain at Painkiller. The sheer succession of albums Sabbath put out really only rivaled by 80s Maiden in terms of consistency and quality.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:59 pm 

70's for Sabbath and Scorpions, though I do love the 80's stuff too. I can't pick anything Sabbath has done over the Ozzy Osbourne era. Scorpions are still a band I am discovering, but I am loving Lovedrive and Taken By Force of late. For Priest, I'm gonna go 80's. British Steel, Defenders of the Faith, and Screaming for Vengeance are some of my favorite albums by the band.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:09 pm 

Sabbath: 70s

Scropions: Of the two albums I have, I slightly prefer Blackout

Priest: That's a really hard one.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Leather Rebeld
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:31 am 

For Scorpiosn: 70s, no doubt. Altough they made pretty decent commercial metal in the 80s, from there they only begin their decadency (for me at least) to that generic sound that they do this days. Also, I can't respect a band with that many retirement tours.

For Sabbath: Both are great, but was 70s Sabbath the beginning of pretty much everything. That's is simply a mayor factor.

For Priest: Priest are my all time favorite band and I love all of their records, but 70s is simply their best period, making the perfect metal album in "Stained Class". In the 80's they release what is to me their second best album, Defenders of the Faith, but still is one step below from Stained Class. You can see how that record just influence almost anyone out there.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:13 am 

70s Scorpions and Priest by a country mile. Sad Wings is one of my all time favorite metal albums, and Rocka Rolla and Sin After Sin are great as well. I like pretty much nothing of 80s Priest. Fly to the Rainbow, In Trance, and Virgin Killer are by far the best Scorpions albums, with Lonesome Crow next. I like various Scorpions songs from the 80s, but not really an album as a whole.

Sabbath I would also say 70s. I think Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are better than about half the 70s albums, but 1970-1978 with almost all high quality is a lot more than 1980-1981 high quality. The rest of 80s Sabbath ranges from pretty bad to pretty decent to pretty good.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:48 pm 

This is the 70's for me as well. None of them sucked during the 80's, but most of their influential works are their earlier ones, and the 70's releases are generally more interesting anyways. I can definitely see an argument for 80's Scorpions or Dio over Rainbow, but Priest and Sabbath (until about TE) were basically in a different, higher gear in the 70's which makes this easy for me.

Edit: 666th post, nice.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:32 pm 

x

Last edited by ~Guest 226319 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:18 pm 

Judas Priest is always a fun one because their capricious, highly exploratory career had the Midas touch for each genre. So fans of the proggier, more atmospheric stuff will all say the 70's, the more traditional headbangers will always say 80's. For that reason I love Stained Class, I love Defenders of the Faith, I'm a Turbo lover, I even love Nostradamus. Not because that was a good Judas Priest album, per se, but because it was a damn good power metal album. Judas Priest always accomplishes everything they set out to achieve, so I'll never be able to say which era is best.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:41 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Judas Priest is always a fun one because their capricious, highly exploratory career had the Midas touch for each genre. So fans of the proggier, more atmospheric stuff will all say the 70's, the more traditional headbangers will always say 80's. For that reason I love Stained Class, I love Defenders of the Faith, I'm a Turbo lover, I even love Nostradamus. Not because that was a good Judas Priest album, per se, but because it was a damn good power metal album. Judas Priest always accomplishes everything they set out to achieve.

Speaking of their traveling between genres, and since you mentioned Nostradamus as a good power metal album... Nostradamus also has a good doom metal song in Death. However their best doom moment is the 13½ minute Lochness from the previous album Angel of Retribution.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:42 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Tanuki wrote:
Judas Priest is always a fun one because their capricious, highly exploratory career had the Midas touch for each genre. So fans of the proggier, more atmospheric stuff will all say the 70's, the more traditional headbangers will always say 80's. For that reason I love Stained Class, I love Defenders of the Faith, I'm a Turbo lover, I even love Nostradamus. Not because that was a good Judas Priest album, per se, but because it was a damn good power metal album. Judas Priest always accomplishes everything they set out to achieve.

Speaking of their traveling between genres, and since you mentioned Nostradamus as a good power metal album... Nostradamus also has a good doom metal song in Death. However their best doom moment is the 13½ minute Lochness from the previous album Angel of Retribution.

Emphatically agreed. I think the nature of Nostradamus, being an uninterrupted concept album with lots of unnecessary cross-fades, was its only failing. When taken apart track by track, against the intention of Judas Priest, you get decent speed metal with 'Persecution', a great doom song with Death, like you said, and some pretty damn decent symphonic tracks with Prophecy and Visions.

I'm ashamed to admit I've not listened to Angel of Retribution, but I do believe you.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:04 pm 

I'd say the 70s for all three bands. It's probably something to do with that youthful feeling, the no-holds-barred "we can try anything" attitude a lot of them seemed to have back then. The only one I have to think a little harder about is Sabbath, because when I listen to some of those Dio albums (even Dehumanizer, which is from the early 90s but vastly underrated in my opinion), I always end up thinking to myself "damn, this really is so good". I don't even listen to 80s Priest much. Scorpions are dead to me after Blackout, and I hardly ever play that one either.

I do think it's a little different with Sabbath, but ultimately I still have to pick their original era, which is just "fresher" music from the perspective of its time. They may not have had the best singer back then but they were really creative and also figured out how to work around the limitations of his voice. It's possible to argue that they became tighter and more finely honed in the early 80s, but ultimately I don't think the music is really quite as timeless and special. There's absolutely no question in my mind that Dio is a much better singer than ozzy ever was, but the singer is only 1/4 of the band and those youthful days were just magic. hell, even never Say Die has grown on me in the past few years. Sabbath only made two great albums with Dio in the 80s and then floundered around doing other stuff. I actually think Born Again is terrible. I'd rather listen to Seventh Star. The Tony martin albums all have some real gems but they just don't come close to the vigor and creativity of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and each album from that era has some thing holding it back from greatness (weak production, bad attempts at commercial hard rock, etc)...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:22 pm 

70s all the way.. I could understand someone liking 80s Scorpions better their 70s, because the production being closer to 80s metal, or someone liking Painkiller (90s) over anything else Priest ever did, because it sounds closer to 90s metal. But really, as much as I like Martin, Gillan and Dio Sabbath, one can't possibly claim it is all better than their 6 first 70s albums.

Omni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 pm 

1970s for all of these bands

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:14 am 

70s for Scorpions, summed up in Tokyo Tapes.

80s for Priest, hands down! British Steel, Screaming, and Defenders are just metal as refined as it gets.

80s for Sabbath, only because I much prefer listening to the Dio and Martin albums.

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:42 am 

70s for Scorpions, all the way... Their sound was CRUSHING at that time ("he's a woman she's a man", or "dark lady" anyone?), and i am an absolute Ulrich Roth fanboy Image My favorites are the astounding Taken By Force, and In Trance.

For Priest its a tie... Each era has its ultimate classics... if you point a gun at me and force me to choose, i would say 80s Priest, just for Defenders Of The Faith.

Although i don't like Ozzy's voice at all and venerate Dio's, i have to admit that 70s Sabbath was much more imaginative and ahead of their time.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 am 

Scorpions suck in all eras. I've never cared for them at all, although I think Klaus Meine's voice is rather cool.

The best 80s Priest was Killing Machine. Yes, you read that exactly right. 70s Priest, all the way. There's absolutely no contest here. Even if you combined all the best Priest material from the 80s into one album, it wouldn't stand up to Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class or Killing Machine individually. Also, Unleashed in the East came out in 79. There's absolutely no contest whatsoever. The band started degenerating into a caricature of themselves with British Steel and after. Perhaps Killing Machine was the beginning of the decline, but it was still a great record.

Sabbath is problematic, because Ozzy's era and Dio's era are completely different. They are like different bands that shared key members, who themselves had gone through a huge musical development and change. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are extremely tight, polished, perfected albums that tower over the early 70s Sabbath in technical terms. The sheer atmosphere of albums like Paranoid, and the strange charm of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are impossible to compare, though. If I had to pick a single Sabbath album, and every other one would be wiped from existence forever, I would pick Paranoid, so I'm going to have to say Sabbath was at their best in the 70s. There are more good records to enjoy, too.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:37 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Even if you combined all the best Priest material from the 80s into one album, it wouldn't stand up to Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class or Killing Machine individually.

Were you just using hyperbole without thought? I think a tracklist of Desert Plains, Electric Eye, Bloodstone, Screaming for Vengeance, You've got Another Thing Coming, Devil's Child, Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, and Love Bites (80's favorites of mine) would top Killing Machine and Sin After Sin at least. It'd be a little tricky to get the flow right, but the point is that 80's Priest still pumped out some great songs, even if they were a better in the 70's.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm 

Sad Wings and Stained Class are what puts the 70's Priest over 80's but its not a landslide. Give me SFV or DotF over SAS or KM personally.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:45 am 

I largely prefer Scorpion's Krautrock album to the rest of their stuff. I almost picked it up at my local record store at the last show I went to there but money and not having a record player factored me out of purchasing it.

Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 am 

Priest certainly had some high points in the 80's, but the 70's was their best. That said, I can find something to like on almost any Priest album.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm 

iAm wrote:
I largely prefer Scorpion's Krautrock album to the rest of their stufft
I wouldn't call Lonesome Crow a Krautrock album

TheArchivist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:21 am 

Cannot really get into 70s Scorps except for the first album; Lonesome Crow is quite remarkable for its blend of psychedelia and Iommi style riffs. 80s Scorps on the other hand, as we all know, created a bunch of classic hard rock songs and power ballads.

Both 70s and 80s Priest, imho, are great eras for the band. The early albums further explored the musical ideas begun by Sabbath, leading to the first pure metal album, Stained Class. The 80s also produced several opuses: Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith are noteworthy stadium classics. Also, it led to their speed metal masterpiece, Painkiller.

For Sabbath, both eras are also equally important. 70s Sabbath resulted in six specimens of early, blues tinged heavy metal but their latter output (Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die) kind of tarnished this almost perfect series of masterful albums. 80s Sabbath birthed the underground classic Tony Martin trilogy (The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr) which, in a way, redeemed the band from the decent but lackluster Seventh Star.

SirAngry95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:43 pm 

for me Judas Priest were at their most creative peak in the 1970's.especially with albums such as Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin and Stained Class. but by Killing Machine, while having still that edge they had on the other three albums prior, you could start to hear that commercial writing that would take place on British Steel and Point of Entry. but 1980's Priest also had some good albums. for me. Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith were their peak in the 1980's. sure both those albums have some corny moments. but they are still highly enjoyable albums for me. 1990's. Painkiller all the way man. Jugulator was just alright. decent album but not their greatest moment, even if it had some good songs on it. 2000's would be Angel of Retribution, great comeback album for Rob Halford, Demolition was just boring and Nostradamus was not all that bad, very much Priest's dip into writing a concept album and i don't think it was that bad for what it is. 2010's.....since Judas Priest are gonna be releasing a new album (don't know when) so i have yet to say if Redeemer of Souls is the best of their 2010's period.

Scorpions for me. 1970's. they were far more creative in the 70's. albums such as Lonesome Crow, Fly To The Rainbow, In Trance, Virgin Killer & Taken by Force are all excellent albums. each album containing it's own mystique. while with the album Lovedrive they would take a more simpler approach to their writing that would take it's coarse in the 1980's and so on, it still turned out to be a great album. now i think the early 80's stuff is pretty much on par with their 70's material. albums such as Animal Magnetism and Blackout are both great albums. but Love at First Sting served as a transitional album. while still having some excellent songs. it lead to Savage Amusement which was their weakest album in my opinion. but by the 1990's it became hit and miss. for the 2010's i have not kept up but i really dug Return to Forever, sure there are some not so good stuff on it but for the most part it has great material.

Black Sabbath on the other hand.....both eras man. Ozzy Era is their 70's era. everything from the 1970 debut all up to 1978's Never Say Die are fucking good, well, maybe not so much 1976's Technical Ecstasy, but still every one of those albums have their own special mystique that separates from each other. now for the 1980's you have the Dio era, Ian Gillan era album Born Again, the Tony Martin era and as well as that Tony Iommi album that was passed off as a Black Sabbath album titled Seventh Star which had Glenn Hughes on vocals. all of those albums, just like the 70's material have their own mystique to 'em that separates each self from each other. by the 1990's it was mostly reserved to the Tony Martin era and of course the brief return of the Dia era with the criminally underrated Dehumanizer which was my introduction to the Dio era. after that all we get is their 2010's comeback Ozzy era full length album 13 which was not all bad, but at times felt underwhelming. i think the four songs off the The End EP was sorta better than 13 imo. hehe.

but in the end. i think all three bands had some really great moments in both the 1970's and 1980's. to even 1990's, 2000's and 2010's.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 am 

'70s for all 3, '80s were still great for all 3, '90s went downhill for all three, but still memorable stuff from each band.

Reply to topic