Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:19 pm 

my picks:

Ensiferum - Victory Song (Ensiferum is made of pure WIN)
Cynic - How Could I
Horde - The Day of Total Armageddon Holocaust

AngelRipper16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:47 pm 

I don't know if this is mentioned already, but Iron maiden's "The Number Of The Beast" had the amazing "Hallowed Be Thy Name"... Now that's the type of ending few can beat IMO! :bow:

Metal Reviews -- Forum
http://v2.metalreviews.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=32

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 pm 

I have to say The Call of Ktulu from Ride the Lightning. Those last chords send shivers down my spine every time I hear them. Those disorted chords, together with the clean guitar part and the tremolo picking at the very end sum up the album as a whole perfectly. Melodic, heavy, atmospheric, aggressive, diverse.

Also, Armoured Assault on Evile's Enter the Grave album. Just the agressiveness and energy of the main riff and, again, the chord of the last few seconds punch you in the face and remind you what a great album this is, even in the dying seconds.

The Flames of the End by At The Gates on SOTS as it is simply so different to the other tracks, a chance to reflect and breathe after the intensity of the previous songs. Plus, is there a better way to finalise an album than multiple guitars feedbacking uncontrollably? :D

Behind the Mirror by Kreator on Terrible Certainty also deserves a mention as it is, IMO, one of the strongest tracks on the album, and ensures TC ends on a powerful note. The intro is different to anything else on the album, which I think really makes the listener take notice that this ending is going to be a bit special.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:09 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:
Sisters Of Mercy - First Last And Always - Some Kind Of Stranger. It's got to be the best goth ballad of all times.

Better than ''And There Will Your Heart Be Also'' by FotN?

Still though, cool to see another old-school goth fan around.

ROBL250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:30 pm 

Horna/Behexen split-Distant call from Darkness

Satyricon-To the Mountains.

Dark Funeral-Call from the Grave

Mayhem-I Am Thy Labyrinth / From the Dark Past

Thulsa_Doom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:11 pm 

Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Immolation-Close to a World Below, The Struggle of Hope and Horror

In the Woods...-Omnio

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:35 pm 

What's with the lists? Describe the songs a little more, explain what makes them good closers.

I just remembered that Primordial's No Nation On This Earth (from the album To The Nameless Dead) is an excellent closer. The first part of the track isn't anything out of ordinary, but the second half of the song has this really atmospheric riff, which sounds yearning, melancholic yet hopeful at the same time. It evokes similar emotions as Garden Of Light by Isis, which is one of my favourite last tracks ever.

After the fade-out ending, I can sit there for hours without listening to anything, with just the song playing in my head.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:47 pm 

Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Slayer - Raining Blood

Municipal Waste - Born to Party

Turisas - Miklagard Overture

Metallica - My Apocalypse

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:21 pm 

Slayer - Raining In Blood
No explaining nedeed here it's an obvious pick :D

VampireKiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:27 pm 

I think I have to mention Stare at the Sun by Blaze Bayley, since I find that track amazing. Then we have Raining Blood and Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer, Hallowed Be thy Name by Maiden and Blood of the Kings by Manowar. I really suck at picking out specific things sometimes

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:36 pm 

really stunned noone mentioned Immolation-The Devil I Know, not only does the song flow so well, but the outro is just stunning, probably the best moment in all of Immolation history, those closing notes are just the most absolutely perfect way to end any album!!! I don't think they have recovered since haha! I am in love with that song and that outro!!!!

also Repulsion-Horrified
cmon how can you not add an album that ends with .....FUCK!

Massacre-Corpse Grinder
one of the earliest examples of a "perfect closer"
perfect way to close and album and a live set and honestly-how could they top it? GRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIND!!!!

Slayer-Post Mortem/Raining Blood AND Seasons in the Abyss
whats been said has already been said, but don't give Seasons any disrespect! that album should have ONE slower paced song-this one!!!

Grave-Banished to Live
ok so maybe its not the best song, but ending the album with a chorus of dying/fading/obscure aaaaaaaiiiigh aaaaaaiiiiiighs, aaauuughs is just too good!

Grave-Christi(ns)anity
now we're talking, excellent song from beginning to end, fading with that keyboard/bass/guitar morbid groove interplay. great way to fade out that album

DismembeR-Dreaming in Red
oh certainly! the first (!!??) DeathMetal Ballad! HAHA!!!

EntombeD-Out of Hand
again, any argument for ending an album with FUCK!
not my favorite from the album, but its a punchy lil fucker and, yup ends with FUUUUUCK!!!!

Asphyx-The Rack
EPIC

Autopsy-Dark Crusade/Mental Funeral
a chapter from the book of darkest of the dark, to end this dreary, sickened, gloomy, horrific album is a closer that certainly had to inspire Immolation, the guitar line fade out is decrepit and haunting... verrrrry excellent.

mettare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am 

1349 - Hellfire. even though the whole album is fantastic (one of my faves of all black metal) the end is pure win. and it doesnt even get boring after 13 minutes ;)

someone already mentioned Cynic - How Could I. amaizing track.

oh oh, and Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape - Requiem-Nostalgia. another wondeful track by this band, and probably my most loved ending of an album. those creepy children, i remember those voices scared a shit out of me once:D

PoS - Scarsick - Enter Rain. no words needed for this one i think ;}

Soulside_Traveller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:57 pm 

There are loads of good closing songs, but here is the first I can think of.
Emperor - The Wanderer (could you get a better outro to such an epic album)
Nightwish - Beauty and the beast: epic and fanstastic

sixhundredand66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:49 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Manowar - Battle Hymn. Epic track with amazing EVERTYTHING> HELL YEAH!~. As far as ending the album, it is perfect. It truly captures the essence of Manowar in my opinion. I think I shall listen to this now just to remind myslef of how awaesome it is.

battle hymn for the win. no need for further discussion.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:01 pm 

Kreator's Under the Guillotine is a great closer. It seems to repeat that killer main riff over and over again, but then turns into something entirely different.... and epic.

And Immolation's The Devil I Know ends with a very haunting slow riff. Definitely a good way to close an album.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:21 pm 

As many have said, 1349's Hellfire is a fucking epic song to end off the album. When he screams Hellfire and it all comes together it's amazing.
Another one is Agathodaimon's Tristetea Vehementa on the Blacken the Angel album. The album is overall very good, but the last song with the incredible synth and guitar line together is just...epic. And to end off the song/album it does a breakdown of this fantastic line.

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:26 pm 

Saturn's Children off Electric Wizard's We Live fits the thread like a glove. What better way to end an album than with a massive, repetitive 15-minute jam that never seems to stop? A perfect closer. :nods:

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 pm 

Nokturnal Mortum's Barbarian Dreams is a really cool ending. It's this cool ambient piece that's great for just relaxing, IMO.

slammysamman wrote:
HOW IZ IT DETH METIL WITOUT BREAKDOWNZZZ????

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:22 pm 

Mirrorthrone - So Frail

This song steals the album, in my opinion. It's fast, furious, agonizingly emotional and seems to sum up what the album, itself, is all about.

Yes they did, but they scavenged them from animals that had died naturally. "Viking" is actually an archaic word for "Vegan".

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:51 am 

AngelRipper16 wrote:
I don't know if this is mentioned already, but Iron maiden's "The Number Of The Beast" had the amazing "Hallowed Be Thy Name"... Now that's the type of ending few can beat IMO! :bow:

Completely unbeatable IMO, and my one defining and favourite song ever.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5