Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:36 am 

I especially like the way bands can speed up inmensly at the end of an album and also deliver one of the best songs on it because of that. Like Anthrax did with Gung Ho, Imitation Of Life and Finale. Dark Angel with “A Subtle Induction”, Pestilence with “Reduced To Ashes” and Helloween with “How Many Tears”. And of course Metallica with Metal Militia, Damage Inc., Dyers Eve and even now with My Apocalypse…

Sometimes a band could (almost) even save an album by playing one last fast song. Like Exodus doing “Feeding Time at the Zoo” on Force Of Habit or Gamma Ray with “Armageddon” on Powerplant.

Furthermore rather suprising (different) songs can also have a great effect. I recall Motorheads 1916. That great ‘’ballad’. Marvellous! A joke like “Diamonds and Rust” on the S.O.D. album. Or Nuclear Assault on Game Over and Handle With care with two long songs including more melody or even acoustic work (Brain Death, Trail of Tears)

Also really impressive are high quality epics. Maiden could pull that off during their ’82-’86 days. Hallowed Be Thy Name, To Tame A Land, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Alexander the Great. All classics! Or even Bathory on Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart. On both album one of the longest and best songs at the end (Blood Fire Death, One Rode to Asa Bay). And I don’t want to leave out Carcass’ “Forensic Clinicism/The Sanguine Article” which also is an epic tune and briliant way to end that album.

Last edited by morbert on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:45 am 

morbert.. Dawgnammit.. Why O Why bother posting?

Sheesh.. I could go through every album in my entire collection and pull out every last track.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:48 am 

Nope. I don't know about you but I have hundreds of albums as well on which the last track ain't all that...
These are really the ones that come to mind. However, I rearranged them in alphabetical order in msWord. I could change the order so it isn't alphabetical if you'd like that? Or would you like me to elaborate on each track so it doesn't look like a random collection?

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:50 am 

Wintersun's S/T final song is so beautiful the way it exists. I personally am a sucker for beautiful synth endings done right.

And Gamma Ray's Armageddon.

Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 am 

morbert wrote:
Nope. I don't know about you but I have hundreds of albums as well on which the last track ain't all that...
These are really the ones that come to mind. However, I rearranged them in alphabetical order in msWord. I could change the order so it isn't alphabetical if you'd like that?

The point I was trying to make was the one that many threads end up locked for.. Lists.

Pick out a few fav's.. and explain a bit about why they are great. It's an interesting topic. I'd liken it to amazing intros.. which would also make an interesting discussion.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:19 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Of course I agree with the previous mentions of "Maaneskyggens Slave", as I have already pointed out in my review of that album. Additionally, if you don't count the unlisted bonus track/Darkthrone cover, "The Virginborn" is the closing track of the "Destroyer" album, and it is not only by far the best track on that album but one of the best and most epic songs of the band's entire career.

What? That is one of the most boring, meandering songs pre-Gaahl Gorgoroth ever wrote. It just drones on and on without any real concern for where it's going or where it'll end up. It's basically 7 minutes of bulid-up without a proper conclusion; Open the Gates blows it out of the water.

Helheim's "Nattravnens Tokt" is the best track off of Jormundgand and that's really saying a lot.

Last edited by ~Guest 126069 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearctic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:44 pm 

Neurosis - Stones from the Sky and Origin. They are masters at closing an album out.

Cult of Luna - Further.

KingHenry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:27 pm 

I completely forgot about Hallowed Be Thy Name from Number of the Beast. The best song from the best Maiden album - nothing else needs to be said!

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 pm 

Bloodbath's "Blood Vortex" is the 12th and final song on the Nightmares Made Flesh record, also, it happens to be the best, or at least one of the best songs on the record.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:27 pm 

Ensiferums Victory Songs. The last song, the title track is really great. Only The Wanderer is better. The rest on the album is kinda half-ass compared to what they put out with Jari.

zouoritual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:59 pm 

aces_high wrote:
Iron Maiden do this very well on many of their albums. Hallowed Be Thy Name, Only the Good Die Young, Fear of the Dark, The Unbeliever (yes I'm one of the few who loved that album), and Rime of the Ancient Mariner were all very worthy to be called closers.

Some others:

Mercyful Fate - Come to the Sabbath

Kreator - Under the Guillotine

Seconded. Also... HALLOWED BE THY fucking NAME!!! I can't second that one enough.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:07 pm 

"Korvens Kuningas" by Korpiklaani is a awesome closer to a awesome album. Alot of people HATE this song because it has 16 minutes of the same shaman drum beat over and over and over and over again. But I think it's really coo that they did that, because the album starts off with a fast somewhat heavy song, and ends with calm almost trance like drumming.

"Sadness and Hate" by Wintersun. This song is so epic and emotional. It is a prefect closer to an album like that. You can almost feel the dispair in Jari's voice. It was enough to bring a tear to my eye the first time I heard it.

Jourdon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:14 pm 

Well, I'd have to say the ending track to Funeral Mist's full-length release, Salvation is a fitting resolution. The reason being is the sheer aggression and conviction that is present within the vocals, thus resulting in an experience that leaves the listener craving for power, craving for violence, and craving for aggression. However, the only downside fo this specific ending is the rather mundane classical-based section, which somewhat reduces the aforementioned effect that the ending track emits. However, the ending opus is very fitting for the album, despite the rather, minor flaw.

Also, within Lunar Aurora's full-length album, Zyklus, the track titled Die Nacht, is a very well-implemented track that is certainly suited to finish off the album. Throughout the album, it seems that the aggression, and energy tends to build-up, and within Die Nacht, all the accumulation and anticipation leads to a plethora of aggression and despair, which ends up leaving the listener craving for more. Overall: A very fitting ending for a great album.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:34 am 

Yet another one, No Nation on this Earth on the newest Primordial, the second half of that song is absolutely stunning, shivers down the spine every time.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:48 am 

Metallica's The call of Ktulu
Bathory's Hammerheart
Velvet Cacoon's Bete Noir

Some of the most fitting endings I've found.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:50 am 

Summoning's Oathbound. Land of The Dead is something else.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:10 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I used to like the song a lot, and I still find it strangely nostalgic even though I first heard it only less than two years ago. It definitely is a perfect song to end an album.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:42 pm 

Thirding or fourthing Mercyful Fate's "Come to the Sabbath", that's a great closer.

It might just be my over-obsession with the album, but "Epitaph" from Fates Warning's The Spectre Within might be one of the best closers to one of the best albums I've ever heard. The atmosphere, solos, riffs, vocals, everything is perfect.

Someone already mentioned Bathory's "One Rode to Asa Bay" from Hammerheart, but I don't think I saw anyone say "Blood Fire Death". That's a way to end a fucking album :bow:

Maybe I just enjoy those huge epic numbers :scratch:

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:49 pm 

Candlemass "A Sorcerer's Pledge". I thought I had mentioned this one already, but guess I hadn't!
Probably the best tune from Epicus, great arrangements, and it will leave you with a satisfying grin on your face after every spin of that record.

I'm also enjoying "Requiem - Nostalgia" from Sight's "Imaginary Sonicscape" immensly, really weird song that one, with kazoos and some operatic baritone singing etc.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm 

There are so many great outros that make me go "wow this is awesome" that I can't really recall all of them, but recently these are what I can remember:

Paysage d'Hiver - Schnee (vinterriket split): The song goes on and on, and at the end of the song, the buzzing guitar fades out slowly, and turns into an ambient-ish part with a chilly/cold feeling, and after about a minute or two, that fades out as well... It's so awesome, it makes the song as perfect as it can be.

Blakagir - After...: This song is like the others, but the end melody is so great that it makes me say "wow this is awesome" :P

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:06 pm 

Pure Holocaust - The s/t is in my opinion by far the best song on Pure Holocaust
Måneskyggens Slave - Probably my fav Gorgoroth song and an awesome ending for this great album
Raining Blood - Don't have to say much about this
Dante's Inferno - Well that's by far the best Iced Earth song for me

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:57 pm 

I fourth "Come to the Sabbath", these other songs deserve a mention too:

Mercyful Fate - Melissa
I like how towards the end of the song it gets slow and king whispers "I think melissa is still with us". Not to mention its got some awesome solos.

Xasthur - Forgotten Depths of Nowhere
A very well done keyboard song that is a fitting end to a Xasthur album.

Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge
The fastest song on the album if I'm not mistaken, once you get past the intro it just grabs your attention and doesn't let go.

Destroyer 666 - Shadow
Its got some really great riffs and just makes a good closer to the album.

Exodus - Strike of the Beast
Basically the same reasons as the above, plus its lyrics are cool.

EDIT: I didn't notice "A Sorcerer's Pledge" had already been mentioned, sorry.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:05 pm 

The first one to come to mind is 'Our Wings are Burning' by Virgin Black off 'Elegant...and Dying'. Amazing song, one of the best they've written. The way the beautifully depressive and dismal opening develops into such an intense peak of emotion in the middle is awesome. London's vocal performance on this is absolutely amazing.

ksbluesfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:09 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
Thin Lizzy with Emerald from Jailbreak FTW! Every song on that album is classic, but that song remains one of my favorites.

Damn, I never dreamed anybody would beat me to that. It's not metal, but a superb ending to a classic album.

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:20 pm 

Nearctic wrote:
Neurosis - Stones from the Sky and Origin. They are masters at closing an album out.

Cult of Luna - Further.

This. Neurosis albums always seem to have a perfect ending to each album. I Can See You is another of my favorite Neurosis closers, but Stones from the Sky will always be the most epic.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:29 pm 

For me, few albums have a closing track that really does the entire album justice.

That being said, these are the songs I believe serve as very appropriate closers:

Slayer - 'Raining Blood': There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said about this song. The song ends with utter chaos (courtesy of fast-paced drums and the excessive use of squealing whammy bar) followed by a rumble of thunder. An amazing way to close an album indeed!

Emperor - 'Inno A Satana': In the Nightside Eclipse is pretty epic througout but when the song moves into it's closing segment, it gets really fast courtesy of blast-beats and the riffs start to get more chaotic - though still having an almost majestic feel to them. It seems to sum up the album into one final blast of chaos.

Enslaved - 'Norvegr': It's repition and length gets the point across marvelously. The great thing about this song as a closer is that, for the most part, it uses the same basic riffing structure but gets more and more in depth each time the segment is repeated until the song comes to an end.

Drudkh - 'Ukrainian Insurgent Army': It closes the album in a similar fashion that 'Norvegr' does but it seems to have a much more sorrowful tone.

Candlemass - 'A Sorcerer's Pledge': One of my all time favorite closers. The use of female vocals at the end add an extremely beautiful touch to the song.

Iron Maiden - 'Hallowed Be Thy Name': Do I honestly need to explain this one? One of the greatest heavy metal songs EVER!

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:10 pm 

I forgot a few more.

"Victory Song" by Enisferum is epic. You feel like your in battle defending your village. The ending to the song is perfect. By my favorite song from that album.

"The Blood, The Wine, The Roses" by My Dying Bride is just awesome. This song combines a little bit of everything from the album. Strange stalker-like lyrics, fast at times, but some what slow. And an amazing growled piece at the end by Aaron.

"Meadows of Heaven" by Nightwish. I know alot of people don't care for the song, but it is just a great closer to a even greater album.

"Back to North" by Moonsorrow. I love how you can almost feel the panic the poor people of the village felt when the vikings landed. This is probaly the best song Moonsorrow has ever done.

Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:36 pm 

Spawn of Possession - Scorched.

Off of Noctambulant, Scorched delivers what can only be described as a volcanic magnifuck of brutality. It begins with a jittery synth intro that unspindles your sense of reality to lessen the blow of what will follow. It then slams you into a riff so unrelenting, that being meteored into the great wall of china sounds like a nap in comparison. Suddenly, just when you think you may find room to breathe, the song stabs you in both eyes and testicles simultaneously with a blastbeat that would make a hummingbird dizzy. Finally the song reaches an apex and concludes with a ending riff so incredible that seamen literally pours from the heavens.

TOTAL FUCKING ANNIHILATION!

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:00 pm 

Well after that review I am speachless. I think everything else that could be posted is futil.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 pm 

Russian_BladderStorm wrote:
seamen

Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
seamen

Damn you, now I can't go back and edit that.

Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:12 am 

Spawn of Possession - Scorched.

Off of Noctambulant, Scorched delivers what can only be described as a volcanic magnifuck of brutality. It begins with a jittery synth intro that unspindles your sense of reality to lessen the blow of what will follow. It then slams you into a riff so unrelenting, that being meteored into the great wall of china sounds like a nap in comparison. Suddenly, just when you think you may find room to breathe, the song stabs you in both eyes and testicles simultaneously with a blastbeat that would make a hummingbird dizzy. Finally the song reaches an apex and concludes with a ending riff so incredible that seamen literally pours from the heavens.

TOTAL FUCKING ANNIHILATION!

It's 4:50am here.. bit early to play this on anything but my laptop. It starts with what sounds like metallic waves washing upon a beach. nice intro. Great track.

Sinister - Storm In My Mind (Creative Killings)

Opening with what sounds a little like the intro from (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth (Metallica - Kill em All.. Damn cool instrumental)..
It only lasts a moment though and trails into a great solo.. then the carnage begins. Unfortunately short lived.

Atheist - And The Psychic Saw (Unquestionable Presence)

Kelly Shaefer has one of those demented demon voices. This track is a little all over the place. Sounds funky in places, thrashy in others. It doesn't flow too well though, it's not meant to. A lot of space is given to each instrument, the bass sounds great here. Manic sounding finale... Interesting finish to a great album.

[Edit] Did I say, "Fuckin" Great album? I did?.. Meh... One to get if you haven't already ;)

----------------
Now playing: Spawn Of Possession - Scorched

WASDman00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:30 pm 

Raining Blood

The Reign ov Shemsu-Hor

Prosperity and Beauty

Sum

Elastic

Obsidian

Christgrinding Avenue

O.D.H.G.A.B.F.E.

Damage Inc.

mishra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:59 pm 

darkest hour-deliver us
definately my favorite song of the album, definately the best, really the only good song off this cd.

sanctus diavolus by rotting christ-beautiful and haunting...amazing close to amazing cd

tortured soul asylum by cradle of filth-probably the last good song they made. but a great close, with dani's screams of no, no, no closing the album in beautiful insanity...

vortex by thorns...again, haunting, great close. the slow build of the song and the digitzed vocals

i dont know if they're accepted here, but jane doe by converge...perfect close to a perfect album

SiorehymLincoln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:12 pm 

I can't believe it was almost two whole pages before somebody mentioned Immolation - Bring Them Down. the final outro riff in that song is probably the most memorable, epic, horribly sad riff I've ever heard in metal life!

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:36 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
I used to like the song a lot, and I still find it strangely nostalgic even though I first heard it only less than two years ago. It definitely is a perfect song to end an album.

Indeed Land Of The Dead is both an incredible song which ends an incredible album, especially the clean vocal chanting at the end. It does have that amazing nostalgic feeling to it and I've only known it for about a year now.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:59 pm 

-Hypocrisy's The Final Chapter is by far the best song on the album and that's saying something.

-Burzum's Móti Ragnarokum is a really nice ambient song, the best off Dauði Baldrs.

-Dark Tranquillity's The Mundane And The Magic off Fiction is pretty epic and varied, probably the best on the album along with Misery's Crown.

-Dissection's Soulreaper, the last track on Storm Of The Light's Bane if we discout the one-and-a-half-minute closing instrumental No Dreams Breed In Breathless Sleep, which is beautiful, is one of the most chilling songs they ever did if not the most.

-Equilibrium's Mana on the Sagas album is an incredibly long yet captivating 17-minute epic.

-Hypocrisy's Living to Die, off Virus, is a very depressing clean-vocal song on an otherwise death metal album and ends that album perfectly.

-Immortal's Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark), A Perfect Vision Of The Rising Northland and Beyond the North Waves are excellent epic closing tracks and some of their best ever.

-I absolutely love Iron Maiden's Only The Good Die Young, it's one of the best songs off Seventh Son of a Seventh Son which is saying something consiering how awesome that album is.

-Kataklysm's The Road To Devestation is the most violent track on the otherwise not overtly amazing but still good In the Arms of Devastation.

-Marduk's Blackcrowned is a totally epic instrumental ending the World Funeral album.

-Nokturnal Mortum's As The Steel Eagle Into Golden Svarga, the only excusive track on The Taste of Victory EP, is also its best.

-Old Wainds' Cold Mourning Of The Pale Moon is an extremely cold, depressing and epic black metal song, the best on the album.

-Sentenced's No One There and The End of the Road are the closing tracks on their two last albums and both are some of the most effective tracks on the album.

-Turisas' Miklagard Overture is completely fucking amazing, the epic choirs making this one of the most memorable folk metal songs of all time.

-Windir's Journey to the End is easily among the best Viking Metal songs of all time, especially with its great keyboard sections.

-Temnozor's Что Ж Вы, Зори Росные, Утром В Кровь Багрянитесь, off their last album Вольницей в Просинь Ночей (Folkstorm Of the Azure Nights) is a beautiful closing track with some of the best clean vocals they've ever done and the folk instrumentals in the song are entrancing.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:16 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
-Kataklysm's The Road To Devestation is the most violent track on the otherwise not overtly amazing but still good In the Arms of Devastation.

Violent? Really? I think it's much calmer than the others, especially the chorus. Each to their own.

Instrumetalist - Static Twilight (Solus Bruit): Quite a stop/start song, especially the first half, and it's much heavier than a lot of other songs. very cool way to finish up the album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:27 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:

Violent? Really? I think it's much calmer than the others, especially the chorus. Each to their own.

Well it's slower but in an unstoppable way...while the rest are faster, The Road to Devastation feels like this monolithic and inexorable war song.

Last edited by MaDTransilvanian on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:29 pm 

I forgot to mention Wintersun's self-titled having a great final song, Sadness and Hate, and the same can be said for Walknut's first and to date only album, Graveforests And Their Shadows, which ends with a nice track called Skinfaxi, which bring the album to a great climax.

Last edited by MaDTransilvanian on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next