Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:54 pm 

Quote:
Dragged Into Sunlight have announced that they have ended their over a decade-long relationship with Prosthetic Records, citing alleged financial concerns and a hostile relationship with the label. In a written statement, the band offered:

“This is how Prosthetic Records treats artists in 2019.

Please bear in mind that this is not one year, it is not two years, we have continued to give this label our music voluntarily for over ten years, without so much as a thank you.

Take a look for yourselves… Does this look like a label that respects its artists? We really tried every option with a view to parting ways amicably here and we want you guys to know that.

We absolutely tried literally everything to avoid an argument, over a period of around 4 years, but it became the never ending story. You want new music, we have new music, music that has been recorded but Prosthetic Records will not release unless we agree to give them more music?”

In the below video statement, the band stated of their relationship with the label:

“After going through statements and digging through all the bills and letters and the emails, it looks like Prosthetic Records has paid us just 927 pounds over the last ten years. That’s 92 pounds a year, and that’s all we’ve had.

Not only do we get spoken to like shit, but our music’s getting cheapened. We’re getting dogged out in emails, we’re getting demands bought with no communication for months. We’re also having to deal with stocking issues where you guys can’t even get hold of our vinyl. We appear to constantly be in debt with handling fees for tour stock at thousands more than the actual cost…”

They went on to state that they feel they have exhausted all options, with their lawyers being met with silence from the label. They’ve also released a selection of emails with Prosthetic Records co-founder E.J Johantgen showcasing their strained relationship over at this location. It does not yet appear that the label nor Johantgen have publicly addressed the band’s allegations.

https://www.theprp.com/2019/11/19/news/ ... relations/

I haven't listened to these guys a whole lot, but I remember checking them out way back in the day, and digging it. I'm also not very aware of this label. I've heard the name, but I don't know most of the bands on their current roster. Either way, if what they band is saying is true, that's a not a good look for them. I'm interested to see if they'll comment on it now that this is being made public.

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm 

How on earth does it take 10 years to realise you aren't being paid? Madness.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:36 pm 

Malbordus wrote:
How on earth does it take 10 years to realise you aren't being paid? Madness.

Yeah, this is really bizarre. I'm always skeptical when bands talk shit on labels without providing the full details. If Prosthetic were in the wrong they'd be able to prove breach of contract and be done with it, but they aren't even claiming that here. That probably means the band signed a crappy deal and for some reason they're just now realizing it. Sure, $1k over a decade sounds bad, but that number means nothing if we don't know how much they given in advances, percentage splits, merch deals, touring and marketing support, etc.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:56 pm 

Well, I have never heard of this band before but I have heard of Prosthetic Records.

A lot of smaller bands can't even afford to press vinyl and expect to recoup what they put into it.

I don't think we should assume that they will move on to another label that will do more for them financially. If this band is so financially lucrative and marketable then other labels will be chomping at the bit to be part of their financial success.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:27 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Sure, $1k over a decade sounds bad,

About the same as Black Tribe, and for a band with ambitions like Dragged into Sunlight that's really pathetic.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 pm 

Yeah, sounds like they got roped into a lousy deal and are just only now speaking out over it because they're ten years older/wiser, in debt and have personal commitments to deal with now. Band shit is expensive and a scuzzy label will walk all over you if you let them.

Another lesson to band folks: get things in writing, ask questions and don't take deals unless they line up with your goals. Keep track of your numbers, know what you're worth and don't be afraid to counter-offer if a deal comes your way.
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Last edited by Element_man on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:14 am 

This is the label that signed Neckbeard Deathcamp. So it seems clear to me it's being run like a funhaus.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:17 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
This is the label that signed Neckbeard Deathcamp. So it seems clear to me it's being run like a funhaus.

Yeah, pretty sure that's related.

MolochWalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:33 pm 

Sounds like they signed a bad deal to me too. Especially considering they have Lamb of God and Animals as Leaders on their roster (amongst others) who are pretty heavy hitting in that particular sect of metal and have been for years. Maybe they just play favorites?

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:12 pm 

i just hope this doesn't mean a future for dragged into sunlight that's anything like what's happened with anata, !t.o.o.h.!, and others

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 am 

Fuuuuuuuuck. So that might be why we've heard nothing from DiS for so damn long. Shame that the band who released one of extreme metal's nastiest and most memorable records in Hatred for Mankind are apparently so dense it takes them a decade to realize they're getting pennies for their efforts.

Actually maybe it makes perfect sense. That album is pure art. Probably needed musicians for whom money means little to nothing for it to have turned-out so incredible.

Damn though. To hell with Prosthetic. Not that they were ever a great label to begin with.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:43 am 

This is a tough situation... I have never heard anything remotely negative about EJ and the Prosthetic team. That said, I have met the DIS guys multiple times and they have always been nice, stand-up guys. My guess is that the band signed a bad deal and maybe didn't realize how much debt they were racking up to the point that they aren't getting paid.

If that is the case, that is unfortunately not the story of a band being robbed but a story of what happens to many underground bands signed to indie labels. I remember when God Forbid broke up, who are infinitely more well known than DIS, they talked about being hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hole to Century Media due to the cost of marketing, tour support, merchandise, etc.

When you take money or support from a record label, it isn't just to help you out. They will add that to the tally of the money you owe them. And if you're a super underground band who never tours, it's rare you'll pay that back and make real money.

If I had to guess, that's what has happened here. Either way, too bad. I like both the label and the band so it's unfortunate that it got to this point.

EDIT: Actually just read the emails... This definitely sounds like Prosthetic isn't in the "wrong". It may not be the 'nice' thing to do, but they're a business. All those emails make sense to an indie metal label for a band that isn't really active outside of releasing albums occasionally.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 am 

What pisses me off more than them getting fucked over is Prosthetic leaving that unreleased album sitting on the shelf gathering dust while demanding another one. FUCK THEM.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:36 am 

Vincent Bennett publicly stated that Prosthetic reissued Wormwood on LP without the band's knowledge or authorization, and I've heard stuff through the grapevine about how they dicked around Hour of Penance and basically use their back catalog (primarily All That Remains, Skeletonwitch, and The Acacia Strain, also Beneath the Massacre to a lesser degree) to prop themselves up while they throw shitty deals at anything with any hype whatsoever, or with connections. Outside of The Atlas Moth, Venom Prison, and Psycroptic, none of their current bands really make money for the label, and I can't even begin to imagine how badly fucked they're going to get when their contracts are up and they try to move to labels that aren't trash.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:51 pm 

this alone explains to me why they haven't released anything in years. makes sense enough to me. Every deal is different.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm 

Prosthetic just dropped a 28-minute track on Dragged Into Sunlight's Bandcamp. No promotion, no description, and the band hasn't even mentioned it on social media. What the hell is going on?

https://draggedintosunlight-official.ba ... gressor-ii

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:54 pm 

From the looks of DiS' Facebook, they had no idea it was coming out either. That doesn't look good.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:41 pm 

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:39 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Outside of The Atlas Moth, Venom Prison, and Psycroptic, none of their current bands really make money for the label.

You have any info to back this up? Skeletonwitch is one of the bigger metal bands of the past decade so this claim makes no sense.

Again, if Prosthetic didn't have the rights to do this then BiS could just file copyright claims or get lawyers involved. Instead they're just bitching on social media which pretty much proves they just signed a bad deal and are too embarrassed to admit it.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:02 am 

Support, donate, share, whatver. Here's a GoFundMe for them:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/dragged-into ... ht-support

Quote:
We saw Prosthetic Records dropped a recording that was delivered to the label in May 2019.

We will not see any funding from this record or any other record with Prosthetic Records, nor did Prosthetic Records discuss the release of Terminal Aggressor II with us, even refusing to pay for the insane artwork - credit: @soulsdue

In fact, and as you are likely aware, Prosthetic Records were refusing to release the record as recently as December 2019, unless we agreed to provide further recordings.

Terminal Aggressor II is the sequel to Terminal Aggressor I, a tape release which first appeared in 2008...

At the time, two members travelled to an underground noise show in Glasgow and began to distribute tape copies of the release - probably the best example as to what Dragged Into Sunlight was at the time and what it remains today.

In a similar vein, Terminal Aggressor II has followed its predecessor...

Whilst Prosthetic Records have refused to respect Dragged Into Sunlight, its work or those involved for some 10 years, similarly to our previous releases, Terminal Aggressor II signifies a time and a place for Dragged Into Sunlight, it is very deserving of its place and you are invited to continue listening and sharing.

Prosthetic Records is in charge of their Bandcamp and Spotify pages as well, so any revenue from those sources will go straight to Prosthetic and not DIS.

Finding a copy for free in this case is being advocated by DIS if you check out their comments.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:53 am 

I'd really like to hear what Prosthetic Records have to say, I'm not completely convinced on what the band is saying.

What I can say without a shred of doubt is that the new song is awful and I'd completely understand a label not wanting to put up with this crap or pay for it. 3 years to make a 28 minutes song with a 15 minutes long drone intro that goes nowhere? They already did the same with the second album. It started with a 15 minutes intro in which nothing happened and the rest of the album was just 25 more minutes of subpar stuff. Seems to me like the're just extremely lazy or can't function as a band, they've only released trash since their first album.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:50 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'd really like to hear what Prosthetic Records have to say, I'm not completely convinced on what the band is saying.

What I can say without a shred of doubt is that the new song is awful and I'd completely understand a label not wanting to put up with this crap or pay for it. 3 years to make a 28 minutes song with a 15 minutes long drone intro that goes nowhere? They already did the same with the second album. It started with a 15 minutes intro in which nothing happened and the rest of the album was just 25 more minutes of subpar stuff. Seems to me like the're just extremely lazy or can't function as a band, they've only released trash since their first album.

The Gnaw Their Tongues collaboration is great! Apparently they had 3 hours of material that was condensed into the actual 32 minute album. I was excited to hear more from that session, but hearing your review, I wonder if it was 3 hours of listenable stuff or if NV is the only amount worth releasing...

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:08 pm 

Auch wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

The Gnaw Their Tongues collaboration is great! Apparently they had 3 hours of material that was condensed into the actual 32 minute album. I was excited to hear more from that session, but hearing your review, I wonder if it was 3 hours of listenable stuff or if NV is the only amount worth releasing...

I don't really like Gnaw Their Tonges (I've seen him play 2 times and it was atrocious too) so I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy that collaboration but I'l check it anyways. Thanks, I wasn't aware it existed!

wraithlike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

It really may just not be for you then. You could try their first album which is just straight up raw blackened death metal that I found myself loving. I loved Widowmaker as well, and that 13 minute intro was absolutely essential to it. Haven't heard the new album but if a 15 minute drone noise intro is enough to turn you off this band just isn't within your alley. But to say that they are lazy, incompetent or trash is just unfair honestly. They're clearly very ambitious musicians with a uniquely bleak musical vision.

Each their own, but I think you're being way too harsh on them. At any rate I wish them the best

edit: Just listened to the new one and as someone who loved Widowmaker, I liked this one too but maybe not quite as much. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Last edited by wraithlike on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:40 pm 

I loved Hatred For Mankind when it came out. I thought Widowmaker was fine and then this record and NV lost me. I don’t hate it, just find it boring.

That said, I imagine that the dispute with Prosthetic is the fault of both sides. DIS are unhappy and feel like they’re not getting the support they should. Prosthetic is probably not making money on the band at this point and don’t feel they can put the same support behind this as, say, a Skeletonwitch record.

It seems that this release lets all sides go their separate ways though, so DIS can now sink or swim on their own. I think they absolutely crush live so would love to see them tour again.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:22 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
Outside of The Atlas Moth, Venom Prison, and Psycroptic, none of their current bands really make money for the label.

You have any info to back this up? Skeletonwitch is one of the bigger metal bands of the past decade so this claim makes no sense.

Again, if Prosthetic didn't have the rights to do this then BiS could just file copyright claims or get lawyers involved. Instead they're just bitching on social media which pretty much proves they just signed a bad deal and are too embarrassed to admit it.

Current. Skeletonwitch is no longer on Prosthetic. Their back catalog is definitely one of the label's biggest assets. Prosthetic dicking around bands, giving them shitty deals, and strongarming them with threats of shelving albums and yanking tour support whenever they try to advocate for their interests is something that I've heard about more than a few times.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:37 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

It really may just not be for you then. You could try their first album which is just straight up raw blackened death metal that I found myself loving. I loved Widowmaker as well, and that 13 minute intro was absolutely essential to it. Haven't heard the new album but if a 15 minute drone noise intro is enough to turn you off this band just isn't within your alley. But to say that they are lazy, incompetent or trash is just unfair honestly. They're clearly very ambitious musicians with a uniquely bleak musical vision.

Each their own, but I think you're being way too harsh on them.

I'm already familiar with the first album and it's ok, way better than this (I already said this on the post you quoted!). Thanks for the suggestion though.

I listen to a lot of drone and ambient that's more difficult to diggest than a 13 minutes intro. I just don't think it's working here at all or on the previous album. I don't know, to me it sounds completely outdated and cliché and the build ups are pretty linear and boring.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:29 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Auch wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I don't really like Gnaw Their Tonges (I've seen him play 2 times and it was atrocious too) so I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy that collaboration but I'l check it anyways. Thanks, I wasn't aware it existed!

Yeah, I’m not the biggest GTT fan either (definitely prefer Cloak of Altering and Golden Ashes) but I usually give his new stuff a listen and can be pleasantly surprised at times. I should have prefaced this with in not really a huge fan of DIS either so I did not expect much from the collaboration and was surprised how much I liked it. .

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:

Quote:
Current. Skeletonwitch is no longer on Prosthetic. Their back catalog is definitely one of the label's biggest assets. Prosthetic dicking around bands, giving them shitty deals, and strongarming them with threats of shelving albums and yanking tour support whenever they try to advocate for their interests is something that I've heard about more than a few times.

Having been on both sides of the fence...

I don't really agree with phrase 'shitty deal'..... Label offered a deal.. Band accepted it. It's up the band to have proper representation look and go over with the band all the points laid out in the deal....Most small band can't afford that luxury or simply sign away just happy to be signed...

If Prosthetic did things that broke the terms of the contract, that's one thing...But if they did stuff that did not break the terms of their deal with the band, then it's on the band to suck it up as a life lesson. just my two cents..

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:14 pm 

Twilightkid wrote:
I don't really agree with phrase 'shitty deal'..... Label offered a deal.. Band accepted it.

Spoiler: show

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User was warned for this post - please don't make a post with a large meme image just to say "I agree with you"

Reply to topic