Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:21 pm 

So, Idle Hands' new album, Mana, is out today, and I think it's almost certainly a lock for my AotY. I mean, holy shit, every single song kills. The melodies are relentlessly catchy, the vocals are totally nonstandard and work miraculously, and everything just gels. No other bands are really doing anything remotely similar to this, right now.

https://idlehandspdx.bandcamp.com/album/mana

Xymosys
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:53 pm 

Will check it out for sure!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 pm 

I love this album and ordered a vinyl copy even after having the digital promo for a month. It's a friendly reminder that you can still have quality music that's catchy AND original. And now I'm going to contradict what I just said by hoping that more bands like them start popping up.

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:55 pm 

I like it.... It almost sounds like if Bad Religion made a goth record....

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm 

Man I LOVE this but sweet merciful Odin those Eisenwald shipping prices.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:31 pm 

What a disappointment of an album. The EP is flawless, but they really jumped the shark here. This might be the most vocal-heavy album I've ever heard; dude won't shut up and let you get into the music, and the rerecording of Blade and the Will kills all of the magic. Really not understanding the hype here.

cultofkraken wrote:

They just opened a US warehouse: https://store.eisenton.com. Not sure why they haven't updated the Bandcamp to reflect that, but shipping is cheaper through that new webstore.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:31 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
What a disappointment of an album. The EP is flawless, but they really jumped the shark here. This might be the most vocal-heavy album I've ever heard; dude won't shut up and let you get into the music, and the rerecording of Blade and the Will kills all of the magic. Really not understanding the hype here.

cultofkraken wrote:

They just opened a US warehouse: https://store.eisenton.com. Not sure why they haven't updated the Bandcamp to reflect that, but shipping is cheaper through that new webstore.

Yeah unfortunately to Canada the shipping is literally 2 dollars less than the actual record. It’s ok though my fiancé has a US mail service in Washington so I am shipping to there! 5 bucks is better than 18!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 pm 

Really liking the gloomy melodies - a bit sugary in that dreamy sort of 80s way, but not lacking for quality at all. Vocals are excellent; just a raw, hungry roar trading off with a melodic croon - sounds soulful and real. They're doing some crafty things with metal blended with goth rock. Like Joy Division done in a more metallic style. Maybe not 100% metal but a super intriguing new sound.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:28 am 

Certainly one of my albums of the year! As someone who loves gothic rock and heavy metal but hates most of what "gothic metal" means (soprano singers, symphonic overtones, Tim Burton aesthetics, etc.), I'm really happy there's a band that can successfully merge heavy metal with goth, just like In Solitude did with "Sister" a couple of years ago.

Marken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 am 

The album is good although a little one-dimensional. They played a brilliant gig at the Keep It True-festival a couple of weeks ago.
Have to say I also enjoy the three Spellcaster-albums (the band where four of the five members used to be a part of).

DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:20 am 

Listened to it today and the best track was the track that was already on the previous debut EP. Unique sound and idea, but the songs and riffs themselves on this album aren't particularly special or mind blowing. A slightly above average album by a new unique band that has a lot of potential still. Their debut EP was quite a bit better I thought.

First listen I'd probably put it in that 70-75% range. Debut EP was more of a 85-90%.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:42 pm 

After one listen I definitely like the EP more but the album is still great. They sound like a mix of classic heavy metal and The Sisters of Mercy. Love the gothic vibes and I agree this is a strong year-end contender.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 pm 

I had never heard of these guys. Thanks to the OP for this thread. I've listened to the record 4 times today alone. I really, really dig it. I hear some Silent Enigma-era Anathema in the vocals (especially the screams and the Ooo's and UGH's)

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 am 

They are doing exactly what I've been doing with Adder's Fork these last 5 years. Haha.

Fantastic sound though, loving the production and the great, great lead guitars add a lot to the great result.

Incredibly addictive stuff.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
They are doing exactly what I've been doing with Adder's Fork these last 5 years. Haha.

Fantastic sound though, loving the production and the great, great lead guitars add a lot to the great result.

Incredibly addictive stuff.

Finally gave your most recent EP a listen and I like your take on the style. I feel like you still approach from a straight goth metal background while Idle Hands has a certain novelty due to the more prominent classic metal tinges. My college band Psychic Faith also seemed to aim for a similar format in hindsight but we were much less focused.

So yeah, this style is pretty much everything I've ever wanted as a listener.

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Finally gave your most recent EP a listen and I like your take on the style. I feel like you still approach from a straight goth metal background while Idle Hands has a certain novelty due to the more prominent classic metal tinges. My college band Psychic Faith also seemed to aim for a similar format in hindsight but we were much less focused.

So yeah, this style is pretty much everything I've ever wanted as a listener.

Hey, thanks! Yeah, that seems like a fine explanation, my riffs are perhaps a bit more "modern" if that is the right word for it.

Also, my ears just told me that Gabriel Franco sounds A LOT like Roland Orzabal (Tears for Fears) when he's using his higher register.

Their aural space and the many layers within plus a massive 80s feel hit a certain nerve that I'm craving for.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:04 pm 

I played "Give Me to the Night" for a friend of mine and he asked me if it was AFI.

But anyways, "Mana" is incredibly good - probably one of the purest examples of gothic metal I can think of.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:50 pm 

Didn't check the EP, loved this debut album.
It sounds magical and ethereal and somehow it reminds me of Dan Swano's early Nightingale albums (not sound-wise).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:05 pm 

I got a chance to hear this again today and I'm really just surprised so few bands have tried to blend this 80s goth style with traditional metal before - there have been a small handful, but never this overt and never with such commitment to the style. Almost a 50/50 blend between them and very authentic sounding. The band obviously really likes that old goth style.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Definitely agree with the vocalist killing the album in the worst possible way. Besides that, I'm also finding the sound too slick. A lot of what I love about early batcave / deathrock / goth is how musty and reverb laden a lot of the production is on those albums. This here is slick and sterile as fuck. Will be passing on this one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:55 pm 

Eh I tried a few songs off the EP and liked the heavier guitars for sure, but it seemed like they really tightened up the writing and made everything flow better on the full length. It's got a definite pop influence but in a good way for my tastes.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:00 am 

I didn't really have any issues with the production. It's more slick than the EP, that's definitely true, but you can still hear the energy and conviction coming through.

Reply to topic