Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 am 

I’m drunk and in quarantine long enough I’ve listened to some weird metal shit on YouTube and Spotify but I still can’t get why some people like this band. As far as I can tell, it’s some Danish guy in corpse paint shrieking about haunted houses, little girls and his grandma... is this just nostalgia for people that still think friday the 13th and Texas chainsaw massacre are the pinnacle of cinema? Because I’ve been trying to *get* why merciful fate is good since I was a sophomore in high school

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:19 am 

At the beginning i slowly started to appreciate his stuff, only later i fell madly in love with his music. I can give my reasons why:

The first thing that had drawn me to his music was the fact that he had behind him some of the best musicians and songwriters of all heavy metal: you can always count on great riffs, great transitions and ripping solos, even of the weaker albums

His vocals were to me the biggest obstacle. At first it came across as an Halford parody, but with more listens you can hear how much variety and charisma he has: he is almost acting, in particular in his early solo albums

The corny horror stuff is part of the package, and i don't mind it when played at this level of talent :)

Last edited by Morn Of Solace on Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothingface
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:26 am 

I moderately enjoy the first two Mercyful Fate albums and Abigail, but Them definitely wasn't for me and that's where I stopped. I go back and give that one a second chance every now and then, but as soon as I hear the character acting and King Diamond exclaiming, "GrAnDmAaAa???!!"; I'm out. I'd much rather listen to Tim Owens scream about haunted houses.

TafferLad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:42 am 

Because it's good music? What a stupid fucking question

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:30 am 

And this, young padawan, is why you shouldn't drink and post things on the internet. It makes you reveal embarrassing things that strangers will laugh at. Like for instance; not liking King Diamond and/or Merciful Fate.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 am 

Almost nothing you said regarding your dislike of King Diamond is about music. A quick and inelegant way to place KD would be to to point to 80s Judas Priest and push each element more extreme and over the top.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:49 am 

Don't know. Everything just clicked when I first heard Abigail. Playing, songwriting, vocals, storyline. I don't mind the guy who gave it 19%, nor Beavis & Butthead for laughing and bad mouthing The Family Ghost video. They are just lost.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:33 am 

It's musical theater. He's immensely talented at conveying stories and characters and has a knack for picking musicians who can play incredibly good heavy metal. None of it would be as good if it was subdued or less cheesy/over the top - that's all just part of the package, inextricable from the whole. It's kind of silly to ask why anyone likes anything though, you probably won't get any answers that are good.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:58 am 

Yep, musical theater. With great riffs, solos, guitars, drums, and bass. Love the horror stories and wailing vocals over the top of that. His vocals are an acquired taste. Now MF is a different beast to a degree than solo KD but all the same elements apply.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:03 am 

Love the music, hate the vocals. The best he's done is his collaboration with Absu on Tara.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:42 am 

I found out about Mercyful Fate and King Diamond in 1998 via Metallica's Garage Inc. compilation when I was about 13 or 14 years old. I was able to check some of their music out a little while later via file-sharing programs. One of the first songs I heard was King Diamond's "Sleepless Nights". I thought the music was insanely great (Andy LaRoque, maaaan), but I did find the vocals to be a bit cheesy. I loved the riffs enough to order Conspiracy and Mercyful Fate's "The Beginning".Once I started digging into more music and read along with the lyrics, at like 14 or 15, I actually was kind of afraid of some of it. I downloaded "Abigail" (I think it was the first time I ever downloaded an entire album from the internet) and now I was really intrigued.

It also helped that I had a metal-head about 15 years older than me working at a local record shop telling me these made up stories that King Diamond actually believed all the shit he sang about and that he had actually been committed to an asylum for a while and that's why MF broke up.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:20 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
The corny horror stuff is part of the package, and i don't mind it when played at this level of talent :)

This. And I don't even like King Diamond. But I dislike mindless disingenuous threads like this that are phrased in a way that suggests OP is open to being convinced, when it's just flatout not true. If you don't like them by now, nobody is going to convince you that you should. So move on and avoid making shitty threads about bands you don't like.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:51 pm 

You can't hear the riffs? What the hell do you listen for when you put on some metal? Frank Sinatra and a string quartet?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:52 pm 

This thread is stupid

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.